Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    I know it has been said numerous times on the thread, but I think the strength of Carter really comes from AT. I think she is such a strong actor that the writers roll with it. (and roll with it very well I hasten to add)

She can do all the physical stuff - that in itself is a great inspiration to women over 35 - you can still be fit and active - though it takes work.
    Her movements in the fight scenes - hand to hand - are very well done - she must practice the moves a lot.
    She carries her weapons and moves just like military personnel. Look at the piccis posted by atrogeologist re the cannon - what a star
    Yet she can switch from all action non nonsense Captain/Major/Colonel to being an actractive feminine woman - in Chimera. A caring compassionate individual - Singularity. An emotional Sam in POV.
    She then switches to all the complicated scientific dialogue - which she not only delivers with precision - but she also understands.
    She shows compassion in the field at appropriate times with just the right expressions - never overdone.
    She's shown anger and frustration on a number of occasions.
    Her timing in delivering lines is impeccable.
    Coley, this is a thoughtful list - thanks for posting it! You pick up (and remember) so many of the nuances and nonverbal actions that are what make the scenes so special.

Originally posted by Coley
    Just a question re the fanfic. I'm almost too embarrased to ask. Do I just click on the link? Then what? Do I read it online? Am I allowed to copy it to my desktop? How do I give feedback? How do I find all the Carter positive fanfic (apart from the ones mentioned in this thread)?
    You are more than welcome to download any of my fics that you wish. To give feedback, check the top and bottom of the fic page - the author's email will usually be at either the top or the bottom.

For Carter fics:
    >>>I have a list of some of my favorites at: Carterfic Favs (just scroll down past the Carter music video recommendations)
    >>> Emerald City has an amazing collection of great Stargate fanfics that usually feature Sam; (that's Skydiver's website)
    >>> The Carterfic archive
    >>> The Carterfic C2 Community
    >>> The Stargate Novel Archive and browse the summaries
    >>> You can also search on Carter at Fanfiction.net

Comment

gateworld also has a fanfic archive. you can search by character

for nice non shippy sam/jack fic i would recommend

the hidden one by brendagracie

doc, www.frondfic.com docs surgery has some good jack fic with sam featured nicely (and Doc is also known as Sabine Bauer....teh writer of fandy's first novel)

if you like sam/jack ship i know several authors i can recommend to you

The one thing that i love about sam is that she's so ordinary. by that i mean, there's no facade, no airs, she's just her.

I like how she's relaxed over the years, like teasing Jonas and her smart aleck remarks. they just help fill her character out a bit
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
        This is such a lovely thread to read through
        I've loved how Amanda has played Sam right from
        the very first show when she came in and said
        "she is transfering from ------" imho Amanda had a strong presence on screen right from that
        moment on.

I've loved the father daughter realationship that has grown over the years, Sam's cry of "dad please don't go like this" when she found out that he had cancer was heartbreaking to watch, to Jabcob telling her how proud he was of her when he was about to get Salmac was again very powerful to watch.

What i've noticed with Amanda is her eyes and how she tells you what Sam is feeling with those eyes, it really does jump right out at you!
        Yes, I just watched Secrets the other day for the first time in ever, and it was brilliant! I loved how it revealed more about Sam's past, which we never really get to see (except for in Jolinar's Memories and stuff) I also watched Need again the same day, and I loved the team'ness in it, and how Sam was like "you get dinner..." There are actually a lot of really good "naive" I would almost say Sam in the first few years. I like how she has definately grown, she just hasn't...enough.

And I agree, the eyes, their like WOAH in your face! They change colour too, heeh. One thing I love is that when Amanda herself is talking too you, she focuses just on YOU, like you're the only person in the entire world. It's amazing how she can make you feel so special
        Last edited by MajorSam; 19 January 2005, 07:51 AM.
        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

'In My Daughter's Eyes' (click to listen and watch)
          I love the character of Jacob and what the inclusion of his character
          does for deepening and enriching the layers of Sam that we get to see.

Originally posted by Tara353
          I've loved the father daughter relationship that has grown over the years, Sam's cry of "dad please don't go like this" [in 'Secrets'] when she found out that he had cancer was heartbreaking to watch, to Jacob telling her how proud he was of her when he was about to get Selmac was again very powerful to watch.
          Originally posted by MajorSam
          I just watched Secrets the other day for the first time in ever, and it was brilliant! I loved how it revealed more about Sam's past
          Originally posted by Kes
          Tok'ra I&II. I've loved the arc with Sam's father Jacob. And the scenes when she tells Jacob what she really does (in the hospital room) and they go thru the gate together really touched me. I really felt that Sam was at last reassured that her father was proud of her.
          Originally posted by Astrogeologist
          Seth Where the rifts between Sam's brother, father and herself are revealed... and then steps are taken towards mending at the end.
          SELMAK: Your father has an unresolved issue here on your planet, and frankly it's beginning to irritate me.
          SAM: Mark.
          SELMAK: Your father's a proud man. He refuses to seek out your brother and mend the relationship.
          SAM: Yeah, well Mark isn't exactly rushing into my father's arms either. Even when we thought Dad was gonna die, he wouldn't take my call.
          SELMAK: It hurt your father deeply when his son didn't come to him on his deathbed.
          JACOB: Now why would it hurt? As far as I was concerned the kid wasn't my son any more. It didn't hurt a bit.
          SAM: Dad. I have a number for Mark in San Diego.
          JACOB: So?
          SAM: I just thought you might wanna know.
          JACOB: When was the last time you saw him?
          SAM: I haven't seen him since either of his kids were born. I guess he paints me with the same brush he does you.
          JACOB: Well, Selmak's pushing me to go mend some fences.
          SAM: I guess Selmak is as wise as they say. I'll go with you. When do you wanna do it?
          JACOB: I didn't say I'd go. I just said Selmak's pushing it.
          Originally posted by Kes
          Jolinar's Memories/Devil You Know. And again - great scenes with Jacob and Sam.

Exodus/Enemies.
          JACOB: And blow the last chance I'll ever have to be right?
          SAM: (Laughing) Welcome to MY life!
          Originally posted by Chopingal
          Grace - the entire episode was a showcase for AT's acting but, especially, the conversation with Jacob was particularly powerful and moving.
          Originally posted by Kes
          Death Knell. And of course I love the exploration of the father/daughter relationship with Jacob and there were some really great scenes in this one.
          I highly recommend the following Jacob-Sam online music video montage:

>>> 'In My Daughter's Eyes'
          http://www.creative-insanity.net/voi...s/daughter.wmv
          From the website: http://www.creative-insanity.net/voi...rgatevids.html

The video is superbly crafted and wonderful to watch and enjoy.

The transcript excerpt for Seth was from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 19 January 2005, 11:23 AM.

Comment

i think sam is one of my fave characters because she tries hard to be nice to everyone and shes smart and shes always nice. like we never seen her that mad or get upset. we seen teal'c get pissed and jack is always kinda grumpy about something so is general hammond, but hes old, so maybe he's just old-grumpy or something, but sam is ALWAYS nice. I really like her and I like Daniel too.

i think jack should ask sam out tho and stop being so shy about it. he could ask daniel to tell sam he likes her and then she would know he lieks her and she could tell him shes glad and they could go out. not sure pete is right for sam, cuz he's a stalker and doesnt seem to be into the same things but he could be cool too. they both have guns hehe. is sam higher rank than pete? do cops have ranks too? not sure if detecftive is a rank, but some police have sgt and lt. and captain, but sam is a lt. colonel which is higher i think.

anyway, sam is cool. this is a cool thread. you guys are cool and seem pretty nice too. some of these threads get all mean and peeple argue but you guys are pretty mellow and thats cool.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8r^Ry
              i think sam is one of my fave characters because she tries hard to be nice to everyone and shes smart and shes always nice. like we never seen her that mad or get upset.

anyway, sam is cool. this is a cool thread. you guys are cool and seem pretty nice too. some of these threads get all mean and peeple argue but you guys are pretty mellow and thats cool.
              Welcome aboard sk8r^Ry!
              It's always great to meet another thoughtful young man!

And, you are right about this thread... it's an appropriate Carter-thread... not a whole lot of mean and nastiness necessary

So, what episodes, or what scenes, are your favorite Stargate Carter-scenes?

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                Welcome aboard sk8r^Ry!
                It's always great to meet another thoughtful young man!

And, you are right about this thread... it's an appropriate Carter-thread... not a whole lot of mean and nastiness necessary

So, what episodes, or what scenes, are your favorite Stargate Carter-scenes?
                i like the one where she had to get col mayborn to fight the foothold aliens and i like the one where she was with dr mckay in 48 hours and told him to suck a lemon heeh. I like Sam with Thor too. I think sam is beatifual too. i like when she got promoted, she should be higher. maybe a regular colonel.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8r^Ry
                  i like the one where she had to get col mayborn to fight the foothold aliens and i like the one where she was with dr mckay in 48 hours and told him to suck a lemon heeh. I like Sam with Thor too.
                  Great choices! (you picked some of my very favorites)

For a little Sam and McKay and a little more

For a little Sam and Thor

Hmmm... off to see what I can do about some pics of the Foothold episode...

Comment

Great choices! (you picked some of my very favorites)

For a little Sam and McKay and a little more

For a little Sam and Thor

Hmmm... off to see what I can do about some pics of the Foothold episode...
                    thanks

Comment

There was a great sam fic posted today
                      http://stars-like-dust.potameides.com/72000.htm

sam introspective, set post ITLOD

really good
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hey all, I just saw the new Lowdown "secrets revealed" or whatever...

Re Moebius

Spoiler:
                        HAHAHHAAAAA, There were some clips of Amanda doing scenes as Geek Sam, and I CAN'T WAIT! I personally think some parts are going to be SOOOO funny!!! it's just...BRILLIANT! I can't wait to see this new side of Sam! just a really funny, imo, Amanda moment "IN this episode, we're in... our current timeline, and alternate timeline, present day, 5000 years back, and an alternate timeline" *clip from an episode, jack saying "and this effects us....how?" Amanda: "... ... well **** i don't know..." I don't know why, but I just think that's really funny. she swears a LOT in real life, which is in such contrast, some might say, to her nice generous good girl kindess type persona
                        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

[IMG]

The only thing that I thought was well-handled in that pilots' briefing scene was the totally professional way that AT portrayed Sam Carter. Even after young O'Neill barged in and childishly took over, she stood respectfully and did not look pissed - or angry - or childish. Neither did she look comfloombled or weak. She maintained the proper military decorum and faced the pilots straight on as young O'Neill spoke.

So out of that pilots' briefing scene, the part that I liked was that Sam did not play the victim. She wasn't whiny, pissy, cowed or browbeaten. She took it in stride (at least externally) and she stood strong, straight and face-on in spite of the insults.

OK... off the soapbox ... for now...
                          Very true. Thanks for mentioning it.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

Sam said to Janet in Hathor "I odn't know about you, but I just can't see how to fit in with these guys. You know, I always feel like "i'm the girl" or something like that...

After 8 years of bonding with them, I'd think that she'd feel like she fit, but i also don't know if she would tell them about it. Admittedly, Jack did say to Sam once "You told me taht whole snake in the head thing was one of the worst things that ever happened to you!" that was second season, so if she already felt secure enough to tell her CO that... It was right after In the Line of Duty though. One of the problems I see is that they'll address things like that within the next few episodes, but then chuck it away. They don't follow up on these big massive happenings.

Anyways, back to the whole "telling the guys" thing. Once again, I think it's still a stereotype thing... It's always been the girls confessing to their girlfriends all the troubles of their lives. I tell my guy-friends a LOT! I want to see a scene with Sam and Teal'c, like the BRILLIANT one in Paradise Lost. I think Teal'c is an amazing character who they could really really develop further. All four of the main original characters have gone through SO much together, if I were any of them, I would feel safe pouring my heart out to (well, except for Sam and Jack, regarding certain *ahem* things... *wink to shippers*)
                            You may be right that she would tell them. I guess I wasn't sure if she might think it would make her appear "weak" in their eyes. And I'm also a big advocate of exploring the Sam & Teal'c friendship. I think I said elsewhere that I think that is sadly untapped. I wonder about how knowing Sam has changed Teal'c's attitudes toward women. My impression has been that Jaffa society is pretty patriarchal.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              I'm also a big advocate of exploring the Sam & Teal'c friendship. I think I said elsewhere that I think that is sadly untapped. I wonder about how knowing Sam has changed Teal'c's attitudes toward women. My impression has been that Jaffa society is pretty patriarchal.

Great point. The Sam/Teal'c friendship has always interested me and I wish they would explore it in much more depth. I really like Paradise Lost because of how Teal'c notices Sam's worry/concern/angst/anxiety throughout the whole show---you can tell that he can feel her anxiety and is worried about her. And of course the locker room scene is fantastic between these two characters. I also liked the Sam/Teal'c scene in the beginning of New Order and Sam asking Teal'c if he wanted a turkey sandwich because she knows he likes that! And someone else mentioned the great scene in Space Race when Teal'c wanted to remain with Sam.

Maybe in Season Nine, once Carter comes back, they could have Sam and Teal'c together on a dangerous mission and they have to count on one another for survival. Some kind of situation that challenges the relationship---tests it. Makes their friendship deepen even more---where their mutual respect for each other deepens to a new level.

Another note: Thanks to the fanfic writers that post on this thread such as Skydiver, Astrogeologist, and Chopingal (I apologize if I have missed someone). Fabulous Carter-fic----I appreciate how well you write and how well you flesh out Sam's character, along with the other characters. It is such a joy to read your work.

And related to the Sam and Teal'c relationship---the Skydiver's stories that are Sam and Teal'c centered amaze me---a joy to read!(as well as the others). You capture a very different type of intensity in their relationship (would love to see this on screen).

And Astrogeologist--thanks so much for your fanfiction and your screen captures of sam that you post on this thread. It is a joy to visit this thread given this and all the great comments thus far about Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

<snip>

In the meantime, it amazes me also that the LA crowd/producers have not sought Amanda out for some major film contracts - possibly being Sam Carter for nine months of the year really impacts accepting jobs. She has had small parts and one lead (The Void) but, again, the quality of the scripts don't do justice to her talent.
                                Speaking of Amanda projects, has anyone ever seen her movie 'Stuck'? I'm not sure if it was a short movie, but it also starred J.R. Bourne (Martouf). I really, really wanted to see that movie, because Amanda played a drug addict. I want to see it!!!

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X