No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a cross-post so I apologize if you see it on more than one thread.
    SPOILERS BELOW
    An answer by JM to a question posed by a poster about who would command SG-1 next year was answered this way:

Spoiler:
    "1) Ben Browder's new character IS a Lt. Colonel -- AND will be in command of SG-1 ***DURING*** Carter's absence at the beginning of season nine. He will appear in all 20 episodes, and Joe said that when Carter returns...he suspects they'll be able to work something out."

What the heck does that mean? I understand the first part, but "he suspects they'll be able to work something out"? Uh, they're the writers, arent' they? Why shouldn't they be able to work it out? All you need to do is make it very clear in the show that BB's Lt. Col. M.M. is taking command *only* while Sam isn't there and have him step down when she comes back.

The wording of that sentence sounds very suspicious to me. There shouldn't be any problem, but I see one coming. Whether it is TPTB themselves, or whether it's pressure from MGM and Skiffy, there seems to be some move on to push BB--we're already being handed his character as a ready-made hero who significantly helped SG-1 "on one of their most important missions" (amazing, then, that we haven't heard his name before) and he's the same rank as Sam--to the fore (pandering to Farscape fans? Who knows). Even worse, it smacks of taking the lone female character--who we all know shouldn't be in a position of command, with all those raging hormones and all (yes, I *am* being sarcastic<<g>>)--and putting her back in a subordinate position.

There shouldn't be any issue about Sam's remaining in command; they shouldn't have to "work something out." I'm not urging a campaign or anything, but perhaps it would not be inappropriate for Sam fans to let TPTB, MGM and Skiffy know how much we appreciate the character and the fact that has she earned her way to a command position, and that's she's a great role model (and that making her suddenly subordinate to the "hot" new guy would send the wrong message.)

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

I can imagine the prospect of Carter resigning her position in the military and remaining as chief scientist and member of SG-1. Not that I'd want to see it happen, per se, but the way they're going on the show, with them portraying Sam as wanting to settle down, have kids, etc., I think it's possible.

I'd like to see her stay military, however. That was always one of the perks of her character, and indeed, one of the things I respected most about her character.

Comment

Hey this weekend my friend Amber said I look like I could be Sam's little brother or even son (shudder). I'm not sure how serious she was, but I don't see a real resemblance. Heh. Does anything think I could play her little brother? I could be visiting from college or something.

Just jokin'

Jared

Happy MLK day

Comment

One of my favourite, although quite suprising Sam moments was with Sam and Jonas, I forget which ep, or even the exact words, except for the good quote

Jonas: "You know on Kelowna it's tradition for a friend to pass on the message"

Sam: "oh it is not!"

Jonas: *something or another*

Sam: Jonas, you are such a chicken ****... (as the klaxons come on, hahah)

I think Sam should be able to have waaay more humour. Amanda, from all my experiences, is the funniest woman alive!!!! They should let her bring that humour to Sam more, although she says her and Sam are progressivly getting mroe and more alike. Although, some people are apparantly PO'ed that Daniel is getting all snarky and humorous now... *shrug* Sam should be funnier.

I love from Enemies:

Jack: Now how do you know that?

Sam: I've studied Goa'uld mothership schematics (or soemthing...)

Jack: You sure know how to have a good time

Sam: Havin a good time now Sir

Jack: You go girl

The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I would like to think that mgm and skiffy would be respectful of the character. it'd be nice to think that BB is put in command while sam is 'gone' and then voluntarily steps down when she returns.

it COULD be some fantastic chemistry building bits

of course, we could also end up with 'oh, i'm just not good enough to command, please mister big strong MM, be the boss'

time will tell, but, personally, if it's the latter, i will be sorely disappointed
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Here we go: What Sam moments do you remember that show some more of the actor's comic timing (besides "Urgo")?

The way she played off RDA in "Ascension" when Hammond tells her to take some time off and they are leaving the briefing room. It's delightful to watch as she asks Jack: "Do I seem nervous? Anxious? When did you first notice?" and Jack's dry reply: "Ever since we met!"
              I agree - AT played this scene extremely well - and the scene was such fun!

Sam: Sir ... with all due respect, I feel fine.
              There is absolutely no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to help.

Hammond: Major, I have no doubt that your technological expertese will be required at some point down the line
              ... but until Doctor Frasier advises other wise, I am ORDERING you to take it easy.
              (He leaves.)
              Sam: (Turning toward Jack) Take it easy?!
              Jack: Yeah. You've been a little tense.
              Sam: Tense?? Me? I'm not tense ... am I?
              She pauses a moment before continuing quietly: When did you first notice?
              Jack: (Said Very slowly) As ... We ... Met.
              << She plays up a wide smirky smile at his comment>>
              Sam: I've always just thought of myself as being very ...
              (Making bracketing hand motion with the folders) Focused.
              Jack: It's called working too hard ... you're gonna crash and burn.
              Sam: (Thinks) I really don't have that much more to do ... Sir.
              Jack: Well, find something. Take up ... golf. (Walking away) Fly a kite ... knit something.
              Sam: (Slightly pissed expression) I ... I'm ... fine! ... really!
              Of course, golf was on OK suggestion...but the kite flying and the knitting... oy!
              And as long as I had that episode loaded, I also extracted these images:

Jack: (Leaving) Don't turn that on.
              (Sam goes to touch the device) AHH!
              (She pulls back, startled.) What'd I just say?

Sam: Holds her hands up I know.
              She touches the device after he leaves, and some crystals slide out aways.
              She holds her head <<Headache??>>, and moves over to a bigger device.
              The device and her are seen from across the room.
              She has an expression like she knows that she's being watched.
              She goes back to the device.
              Something seems to run into her

Daniel: (A flash is shown in the room where Sam is.) Hey, Sam? You done with that camera yet?
              (No answer; louder) SAM?! (Still no answer. He walks to the room where she is,
              and discovers her passed out on the floor. He bends down, checks her pulse, and then speaks into the radio)
              Jack, get back here ... NOW!

Sam:Next thing you know, I'm waking up with Colonel O'Neill looking down on me.
              I mean, I suppose it's possible I touched something inside the device.

Janet: You have no contact burns.
              Sam: So, what do you think it was?
              Janet: Well, people have been known to black-out from fatigue.
              Sam: (Scoffs) Come on Janet. I was a little tired , but ...
              Janet: Your premission blood tests did show slight anemia.
              Sam: But, you gave me clearance to go.
              Janet: And I'm starting to question that judgement.
              Sam: (Smiles) There is nothing wrong with me.
              Janet: OK. At least consider what you've been thru the last few years ...
              You have had a Tok'Ra symbiote die in your brain, your memory has been stamped,
              and then your entire consciousness has been transferred into a computer, then back again ...
              and THAT is just for starters. Eventually, it has to take it's toll.

Sam: (Smiling) Are we done?
              Janet: Yes. Be sure you come back if you start speaking an alien language.(Sarcastically)
              Sam: (Sarcastically) I'm sure I'll have no choice.
              The photos are screen captures from the episode 'Ascension'
              The transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 16 January 2005, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                I would like to think that mgm and skiffy would be respectful of the character. it'd be nice to think that BB is put in command while sam is 'gone' and then voluntarily steps down when she returns.

of course, we could also end up with 'oh, i'm just not good enough to command, please mister big strong MM, be the boss'

time will tell, but, personally, if it's the latter, i will be sorely disappointed
                Totally agree. I will seriously have a heart attack if, just because she's missing 5 episodes, that she gets completely screwed over. She's put in the time, effort, tears, sometims her LIFE for Sg-1 over 8 years. But taht doesn't matter, we have a guy from Farscape who we can just whip into a perfect honourable self-sacrifical soldier who's apparantly really important! TPTB need to realize that not ALL SG fans are Farscape fans, and even those watch the seperate shows for a reason. that they're their own shows, with their own characters and storylines. They're just brushing off the loyal fans of Sg-1, who've put in all the years. I, at least don't want a mush gush of Fargate Fg-1!!!

Sam's character's already gone through enough in the past while, now they want to chuck her off Sg-1!?!?! I personally don't think she'd be too pleased, but I can totally see her doing the whole 'oh, i'm just not good enough to command, please mister big strong MM, be the boss.

At this point, I would actually throw up, implode, have a heart attack, and kill TPTB all at the exact same moment in time. This is COMPLETELY the wrong thing to do with AT's absence of 5 eps, imo. What's so hard about "k, a Lt. Commander for 5 eps, while Sam has a reasonable absence. She comes back, he's 2IC" Honestly! Why make a massive shabangleboo about it??!?!?!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

you know, ascension is one eps where they so totally dropped the ball.

sam is distrusted, spied on, lied to...and oops, ok, so she's just gonna 'get over it' and all be fine

to be fair, they did the same with legacy and daniel, but there was a bit of closure at the end of that.

at the end of ascension, there's so much left undone.

like sam making the choice to follow orlin, knowing that that would get her in trouble.

i really felt for sam in that one. she trusted the guys and, whether they were followrin orders or not, they pretty much left her hanging

sigpic

Comment

you know, ascension is one eps where they so totally dropped the ball.

sam is distrusted, spied on, lied to...and oops, ok, so she's just gonna 'get over it' and all be fine

to be fair, they did the same with legacy and daniel, but there was a bit of closure at the end of that.

at the end of ascension, there's so much left undone.
                    i really felt for sam in that one. she trusted the guys and, whether they were followrin orders or not, they pretty much left her hanging
                    I agree with you... that episode had so much great stuff -- and the potential for so much more! But, they weakened the story with things such as what you cited above. Telling her to knit or go fly a kite (how harsh was that?)... I wish they'd used that line some other time -- and on one of the males! I really hated the scene where she's trying to talk to O'Neill but he could care less. Doesn't even ask her to stick around to talk (after he went to the restroom) -- he was simply dismissive (again).

I also didn't like the way that they showed Sam as having 'no' life outside of work -- for gosh sakes -- she flies planes and rides motorcycles... she knows how to have fun! But then they show her coming home and the answering machine has no messages... but they have her hit the button so that the machine speaks it outloud (who would do that? we all know that if it says 0 that there are no messages) -- but, no, they wanted to emphasize that Carter has no life outside of work... and guess what... that little plot bit would fester for years, and with a few other such plotbits, would ultimately lead to... scenes such as in the last portion of Chimera! Oy!

But there were things that I did like about the episode.
                    I thought Orlin was cute (in a loveable, scruffy way).
                    And I really liked the sci-fi aspect of sharing consciousnesses - they showed it beautifully.
                    The whole 'whipping up a Stargate' in the basement was also pretty cool.

Comment

What really bugged me about Ascension (although i LOVED the rest) was the fact that no one believed Sam at all. They're just like "oh, well, she's crazy!" They know and trust and support her in every other ep (generally speaking) but just for this ep they don't even try and help her prove herself? I would think taht SOMEONE on Sg-1 would have helped her.

The rest of that ep was hilarious IMO. My friend and I still have jokes about it. Amanda won an award for it too....

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Yes, I agree. I really hope they go in this direction. I will be very disappointed if they don't, to put it mildly.

I also think that the writers have a really good opportunity to write some interesting character development/growth for Sam in Season Nine. One potential opportunity is given in how her short absence is explained. They could make it really boring, like she is teaching at the academy for a bit, or make it more exciting (I don't know, maybe working on some secret mission with her father and then sometime goes terribly wrong---then SG-1 has to send out a rescue mission---I'll leave this to our wonderful fanfic writers on this thread for this!)

Another potential opportunity is how Sam interacts with MM, Tea'c, and Daniel when she returns and how Sam returns to her leadership role on SG-1.

I have a question: I noticed that on another site, they list Amanda Tapping as a "recurring" character (along with Claudia Black), noting that you are only considered a "regular" cast member if you are in or are available for all 20 episodes. CJ, MS, and BB are listed as regular cast members. I have not read anything from the producers, MGM or Scifi, or from Amanda herself that says that she will be considered a "recurring" character---I have just seen it on this site. A number of fans on this site don't seem to like the Sam character, and wish she were in the background in Season Nine. RDA has not been in all 20 episodes in every season, yet I'm sure he was considered a regular. Can anyone clarify this difference between regular and recurring?

This difference may also affect how the credits are done for Season Nine. If AT is seen as playing a recurring character, I am not sure where she would be in the credits. (A discussion about credits was brought up earlier in this thread). I would put everyone after the opening title and then AT, CJ, BB, and MS as Daniel Jackson. But I'm wondering how they will do it.

Hopefully AT will be treated well---just a well known fact that females have the babies--hopefully that should not affect her status on the show, particularly because she plans to return for 15/20 episodes. This whole thing raises Interesting gender issues.

Comment

there were cute parts in ascension. like you mentioned, getting to see sam in real clothes, orlin and the general idea

i did and still have issues with them not believing her. I mean, these folks have dealt with invisible aliens before (show and tell), things that make you nuts (legacy) and goa'uld living in seattle (seth) and here she is, saying that she sees someone and, yep, the woman must be stressed

it was sort oflike teal'c in orpheus. I could buy his sudden bout of self-pity, if it wasn't so sudden. Give me some build up. make something happen to make be believe that she was nuts.

to me, it was the ultimate disrespect to sam. there was no attempt to believe her, just the sudden leap to 'she's nuts'

however, i do think that amanda did it great. she had to balance her duties to earth adn to herself. she played the rightous indignation well

i remember hearing that there was a scene that was cut. it's janet and sam in sam's lab, and janet tells her something like 'oh, yeah, didn't you know? the doctor cleared you hours ago'
                          thus implying that neither jack of george bothered to tell her that she was ok to come back to work. fostering sam's 'screw them' attitude. in it, she'd deeply hurt and offended. which, i think, is why she keeps orlin in her house for days without saying anything

sigpic

Comment

i remember hearing that there was a scene that was cut. it's janet and sam in sam's lab, and janet tells her something like 'oh, yeah, didn't you know? the doctor cleared you hours ago'
                            thus implying that neither jack of george bothered to tell her that she was ok to come back to work. fostering sam's 'screw them' attitude. in it, she'd deeply hurt and offended. which, i think, is why she keeps orlin in her house for days without saying anything
                            I never heard that, but I think it would definately be plausible. If she knows they don't trust her, why would she tell them, and make them believe even mroe she's crazy? Although if she had pressed them, maybe they wouldn't have been so "ooooh" when they discovered Orlin was real.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Hi Lord Anubis

From your posted photos, I first thought you were little Jack from "Fragile Balance" - but we'll let you be Sam's kid brother if you like that better!

Comment

i did and still have issues with them not believing her. I mean, these folks have dealt with invisible aliens before (show and tell), things that make you nuts (legacy) and goa'uld living in seattle (seth) and here she is, saying that she sees someone and, yep, the woman must be stressed

however, i do think that amanda did it great. she had to balance her duties to earth adn to herself. she played the rightous indignation well
                                Hi All,

Carter is my favorite character and I love Amanda. So I do get upset when I feel the character or the real person are dealt with unfairly. However in this particular case I cut the boys a little bit of a break.
                                If you take out the fact that we had the long break between seasons 4 & 5, in the SG timeline I believe Ascension occurred not too long after Entity.
                                Being dead and having had one's mind transferred out of one's body has to be pretty traumatic. As a matter of fact I caught a couple of lines here & there in early season 5 that to me suggested Jack was a little more protective of Carter than usual.
                                If you take in consideration that Sam did pass out on the planet in Ascension
                                for what appeared to be no reason before she suddenly started seeing the alien and add to that the fact that it was reasonably close to what happened in Entity, then I think the guys might have had some reason to be concerned about her mental state.
                                As a matter of fact, as happens with so many storylines, it amazes me they never had Sam show any residual effects from her Entity experience.

Toni

Comment

Working...
                                X