Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
    I just have to laugh at how absurd this is becoming....you didn't miss any memo's Amanda...the fact is that sometimes people tend to forget that there are two people in a relationship and that life does not say "three strikes and you're out".
    Life is full of failures and we learn from them so to say that Sam had 3 chances and she blew them and therefore she isn't wife/mother material is completely arrogant and baseless and....I can't put it into the right words right now coz I'm half asleep but really...it's just not a fair and accurate statement to make!
    Night all...again...I will get to bed...soon!!!!
    Okay bad mother - more proof - Cassie. After Janet's death she continued her perilous job instead of resigning and working as a civilian. How would Cassie have dealt with Sam's death after losing both her parents and Janet?

Comment

Originally posted by ccdsah View Post
      Okay bad mother - more proof - Cassie. After Janet's death she continued her perilous job instead of resigning and working as a civilian. How would Cassie have dealt with Sam's death after losing both her parents and Janet?
      Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      Why? Well, Cassie's not her daughter. It was Janet that adopted Cassie, not Sam. Yes, Sam's close to Cassie, but in the same way that an Aunt is, not a mother. Besides which, I think Cassie was at university at that stage, wasn't she?

*eta* Oh, and how would it effect Cassie if the world was taken over by Goa'uld or the Ori?

*eta again* You need to have some "proof" before you can claim to have more "proof."
      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Working as a civilian where?

How would Cassie deal? Like an adult I would hope. Like anyone who is related to someone in the military, if you're not totally selfish, you realise that they are doing a dangerous job to protect you and others. It doesn't take the pain or the anger away but you can honour their choice and sacrifice.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          Now I feel the urge to BOUNCE!
          Errr...I feel more nervousity then bouncing...but errr...we'll see

Originally posted by chelle db View Post

My only beef about that game is that it's a H/H game and I have no idea on how to play them...they confuse me!!! I know...I'm such a drongo!!
          Well it isn't that hard, you just go to the thread, you vote daily, and then give one point to the person you like. and then take one point from the person you don't like...that is it!!!

Comment

Yeah would have been a bit of a bummer though when the whole planet was devastated/ destroyed because Sam wasn't doing what she should have been doing.

Also remember the excuse given for why she took the Job in Area 51... Cassie was having a rough time so she took a job with better hours, but she was needed for a higher cause so she returned to her high risk job.

I think you are saying that she's not good wife/ mother material from the perspective of someone who just thinks those are qualities of someone who wants another person to be the one at home making the home a nice place for them all to come home to.

Maternal instinct is not just the ability to walk away from other responsibilites in order to raise a child. It's weighing up the conflicts in your life and choosing the best path for you , your family and the whole human race.

I am in no way trying to diminish the women ( and men) who do give up thier careers in order to be at home and raise thier children with care and dedication. But I would argue that most people have jobs that other people could do. If they were not there, someone else could do thier job and no one would die. Raising a child is the most important thing that any of us will probably ever do.

Sam's normal job isn't like that.

I agree with tracy, Sam is actually exhibiting the most responsible attitude to child rearing there is. the knowledge and decision that thier higher calling, thier higher responsibility is not to bring a child into the world, but spend the rest of thier lives, protecting everyone elses.

Becks

Comment

I've been trying to find a quote from a book I have that is currently unfortunately in a box in my ex-gf's basement 6000 miles away...it expertly put what I want to say next perfectly...*mutters*

Anyhoo, regarding Sam and Cassie...sure Cassie has been through a lot but she's an adult now and Sam does spend her days saving the whole planet, higher callings and all that, Sams doing her best to ensure the people she loves don't get exterminated/enslaved etc....I'd say that was pretty important.

Besides, Cassie's an adult by the time Janet dies, at least by my Maths.

I still say Sam has maternal potential that she doesn't tap into cos there are more important things, doesn't mean that given the chance she'd be a bad parent. I've seen bad parenting and worked with inept parents, it requires a certain level of something that Sam doesn't have.
              sigpic
              Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
              My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Green! Good fic if a little sad and a bit OOC - After giving much thought I think although Sam Carter's a great character, Sam's not exactly wife, mother material...
                Maybe. But the beauty of fanon is that we can interpret whatever we want about a character, and it's not necessarily wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                  lol, who cares. Its just a noob game that doesnt prove anything . like sam would like totally pwn it, but its so noob its not worth her effort. she's gotta play games that are better and like pwn those instead
                  If I understand you correctly, good point. "Hair, schmare, I'm too busy saving the galaxy."
                  (still, we know her hair is best)

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                    I dunno! But if you're bored, here's a fic I did a couple weeks ago called "Closure".
                    I wondered if that was you when I read it. Very well done.

Comment

Yes! IMHO she had three chances - Jonas, Pete and Jack and she blew them all! She doesn't date much...
                      And Thor died
                      LE: Not a good wife, mother - she'd have trouble putting her family first. (and it's not mysoginistic - the same applies to being a good father/husband afaic)
                      Just because it hasn't worked out yet, doesn't mean it won't at some point. And I won't get into whose fault it was things didn't work out yet other than to say Jonas wasn't much of a "chance."

And I'll have you not say such an awful thing about her true love Thor!
                      Thor lives I tell you!

Comment

Hey chelle! I think you might be sleeping, but if you aren't, could you please explain what a "drongo" is?

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

*eta* Oh, and how would it effect Cassie if the world was taken over by Goa'uld or the Ori?
                          Exactly.

Well one thing I can say--we're no longer sleepy on the thread today...

Comment

By that logic, Janet should have resigned her dangerous job at the SGC, and Teal'c should have quit after Ry'ac's mother died. And single parents who are police officers should resign their jobs. And soldiers, and construction workers, and firefighters... And maybe single parents shouldn't leave home at all just in case they're hit by a bus crossing the street.

And let's see, I believe Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c have all struck out a few times in their relationships, too, so I suppose they don't make good family/parental material either. I mean, gee, Jack's kid shot himself with Jack's gun. That's a pretty big strike there. He definitely shouldn't have kids because of that, despite a proven track record on screen that he's good with kids. And Daniel allowed his wife to be taken by a Goa'uld. Failure to protect! Whifff! No more chances! I'm not sure he demonstrated good parenting skills with Shifu, either, after all, he pushed Shifu off on Kasuf instead of taking the boy home with him. Teal'c successfully raised a child to adulthood, but one could argue that he was absent a lot, and we saw on screen that it caused problems, not to mention that he didn't quit the SGC to take care of his son.

So... just to make sure that we understand each other correctly and your argument is consistent, you would agree that all of the original SG-1 is poor parental material, and none of them should pursue relationships or children?

If so, I'm okay with what you're saying. I don't agree with it, but at least you're not singling Sam out because she's a woman.

My LJ

Comment

So she's afraid on how her "work" would impact on her family? All she has to do is to resign. Jonas and Pete showed that she can be a pretty lousy judge of character and compatibility.
                              And why in "Affinity" we didn't see her question how her decission would impact on Cassie?
                              and what???? every female must never work to care for children? what if charlie had lived and sara had died? what then? jack should have quit to care for his son? umm, and who would pay for those pesky things like food and rent?

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                              Aye, bad mother material would be having a child where you're not capable of or willing to meet their needs. I enjoyed the fanfic and thought the older retrospective characters were well written, it still felt like them.
                              a bad mother is...a woman who's shagging her latest boyfriend in one room while her child - who had been sexually abused years before - sleeps in another. then, after discovering that the child was awake and hiding in her closet, messing herself, beating the child for misbehaving.

that's a bad mother. One that puts the child last in her life

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                              Maternal instinct is not just the ability to walk away from other responsibilites in order to raise a child. It's weighing up the conflicts in your life and choosing the best path for you , your family and the whole human race.
                              maternal instinct is

knowing the difference between a cranky cry and a 'i'm in pain' cry. is not feeling like you want to hit the child to shut it up when she's wailing in your arms for the past half hour. is being able to calm or soothe the child. is not minding baby drool on your arm, or being icked out when the kid chews on yoru finger.

it's accepting the child, caring for the child and doing all you can to protect and nurture the child...it's loving the child
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Sam: They have an actual vote about my hair?
                                Hammond: I wish I had hair to even vote on.

Comment

Working...
                                X