Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Smore and Mirrors

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
    It's a new dessert!
    Oooh, I was thinking the same thing....mmmmm
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Well since Sky brought it up...I think it's totally unfair to report someone for swearing, veiled as it is around here (where does it end? Why is it ok to get away with tv show versions of swear words? Come on folks we all know what those words mean) and yet sexual innuendo is not reported or it's not reported as much? How is that fair? Just because you think kids won't get the sexual innuendo doesn't mean it's NOT PG because, usually it's not considered PG. PG-13 maybe.

My personal philosophy on this is, If I don't like it, I don't read it. Period, end of discussion. I don't report the post because I'm offended if someone says something I don't like (be it a swear word, sexual innuendo {neither of which I have problems with} or dissin' on a character I like) I just shake my head, and move on. If I'm really, really offended, I usually try talk to the person via pm before deciding if I'm going to report them. If it's a one time thing, I usually don't.

Yes, swearing and circumventing the filters is against the rules, but just about everyone on this forum does it. No it doesn't make it right, but it happens. So are we now going to go around the forum reporting every single post that does this? Personally, I don't have the time and think the mods have enough to deal with without adding to it by reporting every little time someone swears or circumvents the filter.

I understand and respect those of you who do not like swearing, but to ask everyone around you to ALWAYS watch what we say is unfair. Especially in a GAME! I usually try to watch what I say and if people approach me privately and politely ask me to watch it I'm usually pretty good about not swearing or doing whatever it was I did to offend. But to go behind one's back without even trying to discuss the issue and report the post well imho, is a disservice to this thread. I thought Kindness Regins Here. To me that means before reporting a post, you talk to the person FIRST and then if that doesn't give you the results you'd like, then talk to a mod and see if they can help. Only report the post as a last result. Come on folks, we're not in kindergarten where we need to tattle on everyone for every teeny infraction of the rules.

Last and most important, I am not trying to make anyone feel bad I'm just trying to share another point of view on this. Thanks for listening.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
        It's a new dessert!
        Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        Oooh, I was thinking the same thing....mmmmm
        D'oh!

Fixed...

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
        Personally I don't mind most jokes or sexual innuendos as long as they don't go on for pages, but there have been times in the past when I felt the joke lost it's appeal after awhile and should have been taken somewhere else.
        I agree. I'm not a saint either, and I've chuckled a time or two at the more well-crafted puns and whatnot... But there have been times where the jokes went a bit further than I personally would've preferred. For the most part, it's not that big of a deal - and I'd imagine it's easy to skip over if one is truly offended. But I did ask the question yesterday because it seems to be something that could easily be tempered along the way, if we're already going to be censoring the profanity usage.

Comment

The USAF has posted a new report on its involvement with Stargate SG-1 over the years. The report features comments from Brad Wright as well as brief comments from Amanda.

Here is the portion of the program about SG-1:

http://rapidshare.com/files/43291715...07_vodcast.avi
          http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5046S4J (mirror)
          Last edited by parsifal; 16 July 2007, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Hmm I must have missed something, because I haven't really read any profanity; however, I have seen a good deal of sexual innuendos as of late. Granted, I'm not a saint and I've probably added to the discussion on numerous occassions, but I do believe that in most cases these are discussions that are inside jokes amongst certain groups of friends and could just as easily have been discussed in PM's, IM's or email. Which is where I try to leave them myself. Most of us are adults, yes, but there are a few youngins amongst us who also read the forum and many lurkers who may not enjoy the sexual innuendos/jokes so I don't believe saying that innuendos are human nature is justification to continue. It may be for some people, but it's definitely not for all.

Personally I don't mind most jokes or sexual innuendos as long as they don't go on for pages, but there have been times in the past when I felt the joke lost it's appeal after awhile and should have been taken somewhere else.
            See, I get what you are saying, but honestly, was it that bad lately?? Or do I miss something, cause I must say lately I have seen a bit innuendo but not like other times. And yes there are a lot of inside jokes, but that is wht you always have, and I agree sometims it is the best to let these inside jokes be in green, im's, pm's... So people don't feel like they don't fit it, but from time to time it is okay...and can be funny...

I honestly can see that for younger people it isn't fun all the innuendo, but honestly, that is life. Like cursing words are also life...

But I must agree too, try to not do it to much, but from time to time, it is just innocent fun

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
              Well since Sky brought it up...I think it's totally unfair to report someone for swearing, veiled as it is around here (where does it end? Why is it ok to get away with tv show versions of swear words? Come on folks we all know what those words mean) and yet sexual innuendo is not reported or it's not reported as much? How is that fair? Just because you think kids won't get the sexual innuendo doesn't mean it's NOT PG because, usually it's not considered PG. PG-13 maybe.

My personal philosophy on this is, If I don't like it, I don't read it. Period, end of discussion. I don't report the post because I'm offended if someone says something I don't like (be it a swear word, sexual innuendo {neither of which I have problems with} or dissin' on a character I like) I just shake my head, and move on. If I'm really, really offended, I usually try talk to the person via pm before deciding if I'm going to report them. If it's a one time thing, I usually don't.

Yes, swearing and circumventing the filters is against the rules, but just about everyone on this forum does it. No it doesn't make it right, but it happens. So are we now going to go around the forum reporting every single post that does this? Personally, I don't have the time and think the mods have enough to deal with without adding to it by reporting every little time someone swears or circumvents the filter.

I understand and respect those of you who do not like swearing, but to ask everyone around you to ALWAYS watch what we say is unfair. Especially in a GAME! I usually try to watch what I say and if people approach me privately and politely ask me to watch it I'm usually pretty good about not swearing or doing whatever it was I did to offend. But to go behind one's back without even trying to discuss the issue and report the post well imho, is a disservice to this thread. I thought Kindness Regins Here. To me that means before reporting a post, you talk to the person FIRST and then if that doesn't give you the results you'd like, then talk to a mod and see if they can help. Only report the post as a last result. Come on folks, we're not in kindergarten where we need to tattle on everyone for every teeny infraction of the rules.

Last and most important, I am not trying to make anyone feel bad I'm just trying to share another point of view on this. Thanks for listening.
              Yeah I have to admit that filters can be a pain in mitka at times.

I remember years ago being on a bulletin board where the word rape had been added to the filter list and it took me five minutes to figure out why the heck it wouldn't let me type in the word grapes.

The strange thing is I used to know exactly what I could and couldn't say when there were seven words you couldn't say on television( if you've ever seen George Carlin's skit you'll know exactly what I'm talkin about). Basically as long as you didn't say those seven words you were good, but new words have been added to filter lists and even newer words have been added to our vocabularies to replace the words we're not suppose to say.

As if we don't all know what Frellin, Frak and Frickin' are suppose to refer to.

You know I've been here for two years and I don't recall ever giving someone red rep for a post and I only recall reporting a post on two occassions and that's simply because one post had attacked someone and another where a thread had gone completely off topic( much like this thread has gone).

So to keep things on topic...how about we make a list of episodes where Sam has actually cussed.

EPISODES WHERE SAM( or any member of SG-1 ) HAS CUSSED
              1. (Sam) Jonas, you are such a chickenship. - Metamorphosis
              2. (Jack) Teal'c, you are one stubborn son of a witch - 100 Days
              3. (Daniel) You stupid son of a witch. - Menace
              4. (Sam) You son of a witch. - Bane
              5. (Jack) You rat baster. - 48 hours
              6. (Jack) I am so gonna kick your asp! - 48 hours
              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 16 July 2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
                The USAF has posted a new report on its involvement with Stargate SG-1 over the years. The report features comments from Brad Wright as well as brief comments from Amanda.

<snip>

Here is the portion of the program about SG-1:

http://rapidshare.com/files/43291715...07_vodcast.avi
                Thanks for the news and the link, parsifal!

I can't seem to download the file, though... Is there something special I have to do?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post

I can't seem to download the file, though... Is there something special I have to do?
                  click on free, and it will bring you to a new page and then it is just filling in some numbers and DL it

and I agree thank you Parsifal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post

On the first page page, click the "Free" button. Then enter the four-character alphanumeric string that appears and hit "Enter". The download should start.

Comment

Just because:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...92#post6897092

Vote for Sam's hair.

I used to be a 3-way race, but now Sam has lost some ground!

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
                        On the first page page, click the "Free" button. Then enter the four-character alphanumeric string that appears and hit "Enter". The download should start.
                        That's so strange. It sends me to an upload page, and says "You've reached the download limit for free-users."

I might just have to wait until I'm using a different ISP - the wireless network I'm on right now has a lot of restrictions for some reason.

Thanks though!

LOL @ Forever's game. This may take me a bit of time.

ETA: Congrats Mandy!
                        Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 16 July 2007, 01:03 PM.

Comment

And now for something totally off topic, but I couldn't help it

It's a boy!!!!

It's my cousin's second baby, but I am the honorary aunt
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                            And now for something totally off topic, but I couldn't help it

It's a boy!!!!

It's my cousin's second baby, but I am the honorary aunt

Congrats Auntie Mandy!! Now someone else you can pass down all your Stargate SG-1 episodes too...when they are old enough to watch... hmmm but then will VCR's be out of date? lol just kidding ... Very Cool!! CONGRATS!!!

Comment

<snip for shortness>

So to keep things on topic...how about we make a list of episodes where Sam has actually cussed.

EPISODES WHERE SAM( or any member of SG-1 ) HAS CUSSED
                              1. (Sam) Jonas, you are such a chickenship. - Metamorphosis
                              2. (Jack) Teal'c, you are one stubborn son of a witch - 100 Days
                              3. (Daniel) You stupid son of a witch. - Menace
                              4. (Sam) You son of a witch. - Bane
                              5. (Jack) You rat baster. - 48 hours
                              6. (Jack) I am so gonna kick your asp! - 48 hours
                              I hear ya Kat, I hear ya! I mean it's not like we who swear go out of our WAY to swear because we know there are people here who don't like it, it's just force of habit (at least it is for this "pedestrian" member) and we tend not to think much about it...especially when we don't use the full word or the filter kicks it out (and please, we all can pretty much figure out what the **** stands for when the filter kicks in).

As for your game...I can honestly say I can't play because I don't have access to any DVDs to watch eps to see when she swears...but the work arounds you came up with are Thanks! Like we all can't figure out what they mean.
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

I only swear occasionally online, but when I do I just let the filter kick in.
                                Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Working...
                                X