No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok I have a question here. what do you think was the background of GeekySam?
    I mean did she lose her mom? or did she lose her dad? and what is said in the ep about that? What are your views.

I am thinking about writing a fic about GeekySam but I first need some other points of view before I actually write it... to make sure I don't make any mistakes

Comment

I like your signature message ~JuliaR~

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
        I mean did she lose her mom? or did she lose her dad? and what is said in the ep about that? What are your views.

I am thinking about writing a fic about GeekySam but I first need some other points of view before I actually write it... to make sure I don't make any mistakes
        in one view, sam's mom didn't die. thus she was discouraged from the military and instead immersed herself in books and her studies. but in doing that, she never gained any confidence. she became an introvert and never developed that steely backbone that she has now.

but really, there will never be any canon about geek sam, so just make up your own. that's what i did when i wrote my fic with her

if there is never proof of what is 'right' you can't be wrong
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post

hee hee that would be great..and probably hilarious...as for the background thats a really good question...Well since she doesn't seem to have anything remotely take charge, maybe her father never joined the Air Force as for her mother i have NO idea.

hee hee

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
            rderoch In season 10 I would suggest Road Not Taken or Line in the Sand. The first of s10 start airing in the states on April 13th (Friday the 13th )
            Lost City is still one of my favorites, it might be a good one to introduce a new fan. There is a lot of explanation for Weir that can be good for someone new to the series... But if you want to start with S1. I would go with Emancipation (good Sam episode), Singularity (the scene with Sam and Cassie in the elevator sold me on AT's talents) or Solitudes (the shipper in me was born ).
            I would agree that Singularity and Solitudes are good episodes to introduce people to Sam. Not sure about Lost City and haven't seen the S10 eps you mention. As much as I like Sam kicking butt in Emancipation, it's not a favorite. IMHO, AT and the writers were still finding the character of Sam at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              in one view, sam's mom didn't die. thus she was discouraged from the military and instead immersed herself in books and her studies. but in doing that, she never gained any confidence. she became an introvert and never developed that steely backbone that she has now.

but really, there will never be any canon about geek sam, so just make up your own. that's what i did when i wrote my fic with her

if there is never proof of what is 'right' you can't be wrong

I know there is never something 'right' but is there nothing mentioned...even if it is something little about the fact that she did loose her mom or not...Cause honestly I didn't see it...and I wondered if others noticed something that maybe might suggest that she did loose her mom... Or maybe even her dad...

and I will for sure make things up...that is the fun about fanfic eh

Comment

A slight interruption to the conversation... received my TV Guide for next week and they had a "highlight" for April 13th.

Fantastic Voyages

Comment

Carter/Painkiller Jane slash?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                    Yeah, I'm not really sure why people go on huge pilgramges to see the Pope or the Dalai Lama or to the Mecca or whatever . Just read my posts on the Internet...
                    Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                    Carter/Painkiller Jane slash?

Oh, you.
                    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      a thread needs to progress to survive. for whatever reason(s), we aren't getting a lot of new minds/opinions into this thread. there are over 26,000 ppl on this forum, there's got to be more than 10 fans of sam/amanda's.

maybe the new thread will bring out the lurkers/newbies/need time to post from shyness ppl. at least i hope so.

if the other thread ever gets merged into this thread, i'm hoping enough new postees will be on the thread to come over here and keep the sam-related discussions going.

sally
                      More than likely it's the overwhelming size of this thread and the title that might prevent some people from joining in on the discussion. Many people may find it overwhelming to enter a thread of this size simply because they don't know where to begin and others may be bothered by the idea of spoilers so they avoid the thread like a plague. I know some people who won't participate on this thread because they don't feel comfortable when ship is discussed and I know others who become intimidated with all the inside jokes and OT discussion.

I have a feeling, I probably won't be around much after SG-1 ends in the US this summer. As much as I would like to continue watching Amanda/Sam on Atlantis, I really don't want to be a part of that particular fandom. Especially since so many of its fans already have a negative view regarding Amanda and Sam. I figure two years has been a good run. I'm sure I'll see many of you on the Sanctuary forum from time to time or at a con. As much fun as it's all been, even good things must come to an end. I just hope Amanda doesn't have to deal with as many haters with Helen as she's had to deal with regarding Sam over the past decade and there will be less issues for everyone involved. One can only hope.
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 03 April 2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

i'm not active in the atlantis fandom either. so i just dabble but tread lightly.

so much of it is ship focused, and i don't ship anyone. and, other than lorne, none of the characters are all that enthralling to me, so i just leave the fandom be.

and yeah, i know that the episode threads will likely be open season on sam and i know that nothing i say will change anyone's mind...so why waste my time?

I'll simply enjoy her being in the show and let others like/dislike what they want
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31 View Post
                          A slight interruption to the conversation... received my TV Guide for next week and they had a "highlight" for April 13th.

Fantastic Voyages
                          Thanks for the scan, SamFan! Long time, no see. How've ya been?

As for Painkiller Jane, well I'm sure a whole lot of people are going to be tracking that series' success for the next several weeks. I'm putting money on "Doesn't perform much better than any of the other series," but I'm a cynic, and I could totally be proven wrong. Wouldn't be a first - my sister and I said a few years ago that "Desperate Housewives" would never succeed.

And Sam/Painkiller Jane slash? There would be no opportunity for Sam pwnage if Jane is virtually indestructible.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            I would agree that Singularity and Solitudes are good episodes to introduce people to Sam. Not sure about Lost City and haven't seen the S10 eps you mention. As much as I like Sam kicking butt in Emancipation, it's not a favorite. IMHO, AT and the writers were still finding the character of Sam at that point.
                            But in a way, that's a good thing because I think Sam was still trying to figure out who she was on the team. It wasn't until Hathor that she finally felt like one of the team and not just "the girl." Before that, there were awkward spurts where she felt out of place so I think it fits her development as a character that she acted as she did.

Same with Season 9. With all its faults...and there were MANY...my sense was that just as Amanda was going through her own transitions in life, what with a new daughter and all, and trying to balance her priorities, so Sam also had her own upheaval where she was unsure of her place and role on the team given all the changes in the command structure.

Or at least that's how I chose to interpret it.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post

I have a feeling, I probably won't be around much after SG-1 ends in the US this summer. As much as I would like to continue watching Amanda/Sam on Atlantis, I really don't want to be a part of that particular fandom. Especially since so many of its fans already have a negative view regarding Amanda and Sam. I figure two years has been a good run. I'm sure I'll see many of you on the Sanctuary forum from time to time or at a con. As much fun as it's all been, even good things must come to an end. I just hope Amanda doesn't have to deal with as many haters with Helen as she's had to deal with regarding Sam over the past decade and there will be less issues for everyone involved. One can only hope.

I think that phenomenon of "Sam hate" from a small minority of fans as a result of Sam being equal to another favorite character in the show will not happen for the character of Helen. AT is the lead in Sanctuary, without question, and that small minority won't be giving Sanctuary the time of day, fortunately. AT/Sam had the "misfortune" (not a misfortune for the extensive and fervent Sam fanbase, mind you) of being a lead character in SG-1 from the beginning of the show equal to another lead character. Sam/AT held her own throughout the SG-1 years, and some fans didn't like the attention she received. AT's Helen won't have to deal with this dynamic in Sanctuary, I doubt. Even with the Sam hate from a minority, to me it is a small price to pay for AT, given that she has made this character very popular, and one for whom a large number of fans enjoy and some even consider a role model. AT has touched a lot of lives with the character of Sam, and in different ways.

I think Helen will be a lot of fun and I like the character already, but Sam may be one of a kind in that she rocks in both science and the military. That doesn't make Helen a less valuable character -- but just a very different character. I personally can't wait to see Sanctuary.

Also, I can't wait to see Sam on Atlantis, and I plan to chime in now and then about Sam's role in Atlantis on this thread and in the episode threads. I hope, ForeverSg1, that you will post about Sam in SGA, at least on this thread. I'm very happy to hear that AT has been welcomed with open arms by the Atlantis cast and crew, and not surprisingly. I'm glad to know that AT has said that she is very happy there. As a result, I"m looking forward to seeing how Sam is integrated into the show. Sam lives on in Atlantis (and the SG-1 movies), and I'm glad because I don't want to give her up just yet! I'm looking forward to Sam's commanding presence, and how the character grows with interactions from other characters like Sheppard, Teyla, and I hope Ronon too. I think it will be interesting to discuss Sam's character as she moves to this new setting.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                that's the main reason i created the 'amanda *and her roles* discussion and appreciation thread'. i'd love for any amanda/characters she's played fans to come over, but also just amanda appreciation is good. it's not in replacement of this thread, just a different lane that ends up taking us to the same place in the end anyways (our shared love of amanda and her characters).

sally
                                I had the Helen thread favorited for a while, but there were no new posts there, so I took it off. It's hard to say much about a particular character before any episodes air. I do go to the Sanctuary thread to discuss Sanctuary rather than saying something here. Since I'm not the only one, it seems to be a solution that works for that one particular point.

I didn't even know there was an Amanda thread.

Sure, there's been OTness lately, but with a seven month hiatus in the US, there's not much new to say for a while. I've not had the impression it's gotten out of hand. It always seems to get steered back pretty quickly, usually because someone gets creative. Sometimes it's rather fun to watch.

I read the ship thread, but I don't post on it. I don't have anything I want to say there. I can't, however, legitimately complain about my not having an impact on that thread. I also frequently don't respond to posts that other people make on other threads. Nobody needs to see a series of "me too" posts from me.

Let's face it, we all make posts that don't get a response sometimes. (Well, almost all of us.... ) It's a risk you take when you're on a forum. If I post something that falls flat, it's not the end of the world. I'll probably do better the next time, but if I let myself get too intimidated to post, I'll never know.

Personally, I rather like it here... whatever the balance of the moment seems to be.
                                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Working...
                                X