No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, I visited this thread way back when and planned to come back but never really made it here

Anyhoo, a group of my friends and I are heading up a project in support of Amanda and her character. Sky's recent interview with her inspired me and I just wanted some way to show my appreciation for her.

I've started a new thread with more details about this project, so if any of you are interested in participating, it's here.

Comment

Originally posted by seldear View Post
      I doubt that all the episodes she's signed up for can feature her front-and-centre - and although I'm a Sam fan, I sincerely hope they won't - there are other characters in Atlantis who are slated for some screentime and development. Sadly, it seems Elizabeth isn't one of them - at least not at first. (Since Brad has said Liz will be recurring for a while.)

In the meantime, I'll wait and see what the season brings.

Sel.
      Bingo! My thoughts exactly. It makes sense to have Sam in Atlantis as a ship commander.
      Spoiler:
      It might even make sense to have her replace, TEMPORARILY, Weir if Weir is unable to command Atlantis for a while. But I can't begin to see the logic of removing Weir from Atlantis permanently. It makes no sense. But I do think Weir (and the series as a whole) could benefit from a really good storyline that stirs things up, raising the stakes for our heroes, and requiring a unified front to bring everyone back together after they've been separated. If Weir is gone because the writers put her in jeopardy somehow... it would bring the remaining characters together like nothing else. It would be good storytelling. (It's what they should have done with Sam in the beginning of season 9.)

If TPTB are smart (and I've got my fingers crossed), they'll have Weir/TH back full time next season. I really think (hope) this is a storytelling issue, not a "we need to get rid of Weir" issue.
      Last edited by Strix varia; 16 January 2007, 01:15 PM.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
        Btw caption time:
        Sam: Eh? What did you just say? WHAT?! No more BLUE JELLO in the lunch room? That's it, I quit!
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Btw caption time:
          "I knew it was a bad idea to go swimming right before a mission."
          Shallow are the Ori!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
            If TPTB are smart (and I've got my fingers crossed), they'll have Weir/TH back full time next season. I really think (hope) this is a storytelling issue, not a "we need to get rid of Weir" issue.
            maybe we'll be REALLY lucky (<<sarcasm) and it'll be a "we don't know what to do with Weir" issue. for consistency’s sake.
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

hhhhhmmmmm, in-ter-es-ting....

spoilers for the future of both SG shows, and speculation:
              Spoiler:

the first thing that came to mind about weir having a reduced role was that the timing sucked, then i heard that that sam was going to be in 14 episodes and i'm now thinking that its really bad timing! eep!

that aside though, the initial thought that came to me regarding the news about sam on atlantis, with the number of episodes, and the whole "ship" thing, was that she's going to be the replacement for caldwell. and its a thought that i haven't noticed being mentioned (sorry if i missed anyone saying that). it just makes the most sense to me, but i can see how people would automatically go with the whole, sam arriving and weir having less of a role is a case of one replacing the other. i really hope that that is just a coincidence and thats not what's happening.

from the way its been phrased i get the impression that torri higginson wanted a reduced role. i really think its just a coincidence, because they've talked about sam going to atlantis for a while now.

i'm cautiously optimistic about the whole thing. although i'd like to know what they're planning for weir. i'd like to assume that sam is going to be commander of a ship going back and forth between galaxies, similar to how it was in season 1. didn't david hewlett say something about them going back to square one, and losing the easy contact with earth and the sgc?

i do hope that they aren't totally cut off from earth and our galaxy though, because i wouldn't like for sam to be limited to the pegasus galaxy and cut off from earth, and i also think that it wouldn't bode well for weir's situation if that were the case.

but thats just my initial thoughts on the whole thing.

Comment

Hey, has anyone seen LitS yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
                  maybe we'll be REALLY lucky (<<sarcasm) and it'll be a "we don't know what to do with Weir" issue. for consistency’s sake.
                  LOL!!!

I'm afraid I share your cynicism. Time and time again over the last 2 years I have kept thinking - "No they can't be thinking of doing that - TPTB are too intelligent to think that would work" yet time and time again they proved me wrong!

If they are doing what Strix is hoping - they wouldn't really need Sam anyway - or is the show so bad that they can't make it work with the existing characters? A genuine question as I have only seen a few eps.

I still think it could be a bad move.

My hope for Amanda is that she is sucessful in her new venture

I would much prefer that than her continuing the Sam character at the expense of TH (if that is what TPTB are thinking)

Comment

Btw caption time:
                    Sam: So, who said "In cyberspace no-one can hear you scream", eh?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                      yep! it was pretty good, and amanda/sam was just amazing. definitely one of her best performances. she's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie View Post
                        spoilers for the future of both SG shows, and speculation:
                        Spoiler:
                        the first thing that came to mind about weir having a reduced role was that the timing sucked, then i heard that that sam was going to be in 14 episodes and i'm now thinking that its really bad timing! eep!
                        Absolutely.

that aside though, the initial thought that came to me regarding
                        Spoiler:
                        the news about sam on atlantis, with the number of episodes, and the whole "ship" thing, was that she's going to be the replacement for caldwell. and its a thought that i haven't noticed being mentioned (sorry if i missed anyone saying that).
                        I think that hasn't been entertained very seriously because of
                        Spoiler:
                        the news awhile back about the hiring of some other dude to be a ship commander in M Pilleggi's absence.

from the way its been phrased i get the impression that
                        Spoiler:
                        torri higginson wanted a reduced role. i really think its just a coincidence, because they've talked about sam going to atlantis for a while now.
                        If that's the case with TH then I wish someone had made a more definitive statement to that effect.

Comment

I think TH's fans seem to be under the impression that it was not her choice to go for a reduced role. ETA: I agree that perhaps, if it was her decision, it would be best if someone clarified... Though I doubt it will happen, and I don't blame them for NOT clarifying. Rainbow Sun Francks exit was incredibly (and understandably) vague imo, and he didn't have the kind of role Torri Higginson has...

And stargate barbie,
                          Spoiler:
                          I thought the same thing about Carter replacing Caldwell, even with Michael Beech's role in place. It'll be interesting to see if Carter and Beech's character have a sort of good cop/bad cop vibe in regards to their relationship with Atlantis. Atlantis has had at least ONE military officer who is their adversary - or who at least gives them a lot of grief - every season. I guess it just kinda depends on which capacity Carter will be in - scientific or military.

And please, if you have the desire and/or the time, would you please tell us about LitS?

Comment

Has samantha carter appeared in season 3 of atlantis at all, because if she does, shes made appearances in all 3 seasons so far. (Letters from pegases and Grace under presure).
                            Hola

Hello

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                              I did.

Spoiler:
                              It was a good episode. Even Mitchell was quite decent in it. He’s a better field medic than he is a leader. Teal’c didn’t have as much to do as the others, but he did have a part to play. Vala was good, especially in her interactions with Tomin. CB played that well.

Sam and AT were wonderful (as usual) – she was able to think up a way to rig a device to save a village from destruction at the hands of the Ori army and she did it while doped up on morphine.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

She has been in "McKay and Mrs. Miller" in season three.

Comment

Working...
                                X