Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    i will say one thing guys...ok two

and i'm not wanting this topic to derail this thread.

First of all, how did fans find out about STeven's death??? Some 'oh so kind' neighbor took it upon herself to plaster it on a public forum. Someone that had NO RIGHT AT ALL to spread such news. Because of this, a family's private grief was made public.

Consider how you would feel if some aspect of your private life was suddenly spalshed all over the net? I know how i felt when i went in for some medical tests and then my mom had to go and tell my sisters...who i wasnt gonna tell. I felt betrayed.

I'm not picking on anyone, i'm just saying.

Second...please, don't send stuff to Bridge about Steven. Remember just a few months ago when AT said that she'd gotten two boxes of mail from MGM from TWO YEARS ago??? She's not gonna be back on that set for weeks. Would you want a time bomb like that waiting for you?

If you wish to send donations to the epilepsy foundation, that's your business. If you wish to send it in Steven's name, again that's your business. But please consider the time delay before you send anything to Bridge.

It is also possible that the family will make a decision if they want a memorial fund. And if they do, i'm pretty sure it'll be announced on Kamil's site. You might want to consider waiting a bit and see what the family wants.

As i remember how it felt when i buried my grandparents, right now they might just want a bit of privacy to gatehr themselves, grieve and deal with things before they start thinking of other stuff.
    I agree entirely.

How the news came out is atrocious and I'm angered that someone did that to her. But it did happen...someone did force her hand. So how do we respond? What would be appropriate?

We couldn't ignore it...that would have been unnatural. I think the best way to respond is the manner in which we did respond...as we always DO respond with regard to her privacy...with respect, love and support. I'd expect no less from Samanda. Amanda herself has said many times how much our support means to her and I can't imagine that this situation would be any different, regardless of how we came to know about it. And truly...even though we learned this news before the family would have preferred, we would have eventually found out and would have responded the same way.

IMVHO, I think that we've maintained a good balance here. We haven't converted the thread to be all about Amanda's loss. We've respected her privacy and lovingly offered our support while continuing our "business" on the thread.

Yes...I believe our response as been appropriate, respectful and loving and I believe will continue to be as we go about our lives and our discussions here.

That being said...I again completely agree with you. Sending anything to Bridge would more than likely be a bad call for the reasons you mentioned.

I agree that we should wait for their lead as to whom to send donations or whatever.
    Last edited by Uber; 29 December 2006, 01:06 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
      I don't exactly know where I stand on this. I don't think that anyone who expresses their condolences is wrong. However, for as long as I've been a fan of Stargate, it seems that AT has been relatively private about her family. And I can totally understand why. She has many, many fans who care about her and what goes on in her life, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she wants that to spill over into the lives of her loved ones.

I've met Poz in person, and she's been able to let us know how she's doing on the thread because of our community, which is so great. I have no problems with expressing my condolences to Poz, someone whom I really do know personally.

On the flip side, I don't really see Amanda Tapping as a member of our community. She's the reason why we've all come together and met each other on this forum, but very few of us here really know her personally like we do Poz.

That doesn't mean I think people shouldn't say what's on their mind about what's going on in AT's life, but I honestly don't think we can compare our closeness to a forum member to our admiration of AT.

Spaz, I see your point, but my perspective is different than yours for a couple of reasons. First of all, I don't know Maria and will probably never meet her. I have only read a handful of her posts, mostly on this thread, but I honestly cried when I read her post about her mother's death. In the past few months, I have found myself saying prayers for people I've never met about their surgeries, their jobs, their families, which is saying a lot because it's a habit I got out of quite some time ago. Although you and I met at Shore Leave, I can't say I know you, and I doubt if you remember me at all, but I would have the same reaction if you made the same kind of post. (I hope you don't ever have to.) I also don't doubt that people here would be supportive of me.

Secondly, Amanda has reached out to her fans. She's posted reactions to 9/11 and the tsunami and told us about her pregnancies and her daughter's birth. Not only has she been supportive in her public comments to her fans, she's made comments about how she finds us supportive. She has also said that she's lurked here at times because the positive feedback Samanda gives her is comforting. To me, that's enough to make her a member of this community.

I've found Amanda's responses to her fans refreshing, and I have a great deal of respect for her as both an artist and as a human being. I truly do not wish to do anything that could be construed as intrusive or disrespectful, which is why I thought long and hard before I posted anything about her brother's death here. I don't think, however, that our silence is supportive.

Thank you for responding so thoughtfully to my post.
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        i will say one thing guys...ok two

and i'm not wanting this topic to derail this thread.

First of all, how did fans find out about STeven's death??? Some 'oh so kind' neighbor took it upon herself to plaster it on a public forum. Someone that had NO RIGHT AT ALL to spread such news. Because of this, a family's private grief was made public.

Consider how you would feel if some aspect of your private life was suddenly spalshed all over the net? I know how i felt when i went in for some medical tests and then my mom had to go and tell my sisters...who i wasnt gonna tell. I felt betrayed.

I'm not picking on anyone, i'm just saying.

Second...please, don't send stuff to Bridge about Steven. Remember just a few months ago when AT said that she'd gotten two boxes of mail from MGM from TWO YEARS ago??? She's not gonna be back on that set for weeks. Would you want a time bomb like that waiting for you?

If you wish to send donations to the epilepsy foundation, that's your business. If you wish to send it in Steven's name, again that's your business. But please consider the time delay before you send anything to Bridge.

It is also possible that the family will make a decision if they want a memorial fund. And if they do, i'm pretty sure it'll be announced on Kamil's site. You might want to consider waiting a bit and see what the family wants.

As i remember how it felt when i buried my grandparents, right now they might just want a bit of privacy to gatehr themselves, grieve and deal with things before they start thinking of other stuff.
        Sky, I'm not ignoring you. I was writing my post as you posted yours. While I agree with you, I also agree with Über.
        Last edited by scifithinker; 29 December 2006, 01:21 PM.
        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
          Spaz, I see your point, but my perspective is different than yours for a couple of reasons. First of all, I don't know Maria and will probably never meet her. I have only read a handful of her posts, mostly on this thread, but I honestly cried when I read her post about her mother's death. In the past few months, I have found myself saying prayers for people I've never met about their surgeries, their jobs, their families, which is saying a lot because it's a habit I got out of quite some time ago. Although you and I met at Shore Leave, I can't say I know you, and I doubt if you remember me at all, but I would have the same reaction if you made the same kind of post. (I hope you don't ever have to.) I also don't doubt that people here would be supportive of me.

Secondly, Amanda has reached out to her fans. She's posted reactions to 9/11 and the tsunami and told us about her pregnancies and her daughter's birth. Not only has she been supportive in her public comments to her fans, she's made comments about how she finds us supportive. She has also said that she's lurked here at times because the positive feedback Samanda gives her is comforting. To me, that's enough to make her a member of this community.

I've found Amanda's responses to her fans refreshing, and I have a great deal of respect for her as both an artist and as a human being. I truly do not wish to do anything that could be construed as intrusive or disrespectful, which is why I thought long and hard before I posted anything about her brother's death here. I don't think, however, that our silence is supportive.

definitely agree with you Über and and Sky!

We reacted in a respectful, nice, loyal and natural way. We didn't do anything before thinking and expressed the things we wanted to in a good and honest way. I think this is one of the reasons AT appreciates our support that much. If we'll be going on that way we wont be any wrong.

I think we should do talk in the way we do (but not much more than that) about Amanda an things going on in her live, but not that much about things going on in our lives. I really do feel with everybody posting anything out of his/her life here (also Poz, my thoughts are with her for sure!), but we should keep the topics on the one named in the name of the thread.
          Last edited by MickSpeed; 29 December 2006, 01:34 PM.

Thank you SO much Amanda! (Icons by various great artists)

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post

Again I couldn't green you so I must thank you here. also, Never say never

Spaz, I love ya dear! Please don't think otherwise since we may disagree.
            Last edited by SG1Poz; 29 December 2006, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MickSpeed View Post
              definitely agree with you Über and and Sky!

We reacted in a respectful, nice, loyal and natural way. We didn't do anything before thinking and expressed the things we wanted to in a good and honest way. I think this is one of the reasons AT appreciates our support that much. If we'll be going on that way we wont be any wrong.

I think we should do talk in the way we do (but not much more than that) about Amanda an things going on in her live, but not that much about things going on in our lives. I really do feel with everybody posting anything out of his/her life here (also Poz, my thoughts are with her for sure!), but we should keep the topics on the one named in the name of the thread.
              As our favorite Jaffa says quite often...Indeed.

BTW...MickSpeed...where did you get those cool icons?!??

Cannot...resist....the coolness....

...must...have them....

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                See, I did it so the J/T, T/C, D/C and Hammond/Thor shippers could believe it was their ship too.

FF who doesn't really see Sam the career soldier as swooning over a little male on male action (at least not after associating with Janet for a year or two, Janet probably took her to see male jello wrestling)
                Okay.

I can see J/T, T/C (I'm guessing Carter), D/C and Janet/C...

But please...by all that is round and kawooshing...tell me you're joking...

Hammond/Thor?!??

The mental images...oh how they BURN!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post

The mental images...oh how they BURN!

Ah, then my job here is done!

FF Rubs hands in glee
                  I meant Cam/Teal'c... I was going for every slash pairing beyond the obvious one
                  sigpic

Comment

With a community as full of love and support as this one, it would be shocking if there weren't shows of that support for Amanda. However, as Sky has said, the news was leaked prematurely forcing her to make a statement at what can be at best described as a difficult time. Let us, please, take out cues from Kamil on how to go ahead "publicly" from here. Within the Samanda family is one thing, but elsewhere gets a bit dicey.

Spoiler:

Epitaph

Do not carve on stone or wood,
                    "He was honest" or "He was good."
                    Write in smoke on a passing breeze
                    Seven words... and the words are these,
                    Telling all that a volume could,
                    "He lived, he laughed and... he understood."

~Don Blanding
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGirl422 View Post
                      SunKrux I just noticed your sig! Have to say that I LOVE it! "Wicked" has GOT to be the best musical ever! Today I just finished my first SG1 music video and I did it to the song "Defying Gravity". I'm busy futzing with YouTube now, but a bit shy as it's my first. But anyway, great sig LoL .
                      Totally offtopic, but I got tickets to Wicked for Christmas

Merry Christmas to me...

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                        Totally offtopic, but I got tickets to Wicked for Christmas

Merry Christmas to me...
                        Nice, which production? Who are your Elphie and Glinda? I'm looking forward to seeing Kerry Ellis as the new London Elphaba.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                          Nice, which production? Who are your Elphie and Glinda? I'm looking forward to seeing Kerry Ellis as the new London Elphaba.
                          Chicago. And I don't know the cast 'cause it's not in our local paper here in Wisconsin. The present came with free overnight childcare and a hotel room for hubbie and I. Not surprisingly, that's his favorite part...

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                            Chicago. And I don't know the cast 'cause it's not in our local paper here in Wisconsin. The present came with free overnight childcare and a hotel room for hubbie and I. Not surprisingly, that's his favorite part...
                            You have Kristy and Erin. I've never seen either of them, so be sure to give me a full run down! Enjoy!
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

In my long twenty minute commute home tonight, i had an idea.

Ok, i'm flashing back to mini's poster and how thrilled amanda was with it. And it wasn't just because it was something gorgous that a fan had made for her - no offense mini, it was a beautiful work of art and i'm jealous that AT gets to hang that master piece on her wall - it was because it was from US. as in all of us. every single person that sent in a note was part of the gift. So it truly represented this forum/list and the other lists those folks belong to, as well as representing her fans.

It was simple and heart felt.

http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts/StoryStream/

the collaborative story that Julia started adn Kamil put up on at.com as a christmas gift to amanda. WEll, it didn't make it for christmas obviously. But, for all those that want to do something for Steven...how about contributing to the story?

Ok, before we get the obligatory 'but i can't write', you can all write. I read your posts all the time and you are all very capable of writing. ANd 1000 words isnt't that much, you don't even HAVE to do the full 1000, you can just contribute a paragraph or ten.

Think of it, what better way to say 'we care and we're here' than to work together to create something???

What better thing to maybe help with her pain than to make someting that's truly from the heart and has a little piece of everyone in it

whatta ya think???
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Its a bit OT, but flying by to night night to the Samanda family, take care guys

((((((((((((Samanda's))))))))))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Working...
                                X