Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post

A friend introduced me to SG1 back at the end of Season 8. First episode I watched was "Threads" then a series of Season 2 episodes. SAm stood out to me from the first. I rarely keep interest in a show without a strong female who really catches my attention. I need the woman to identify with-the hot guy is nice-but the strong woman who is real enough to identify with is a must.

Seeing Sam made SG1 a must.
    i sooo agree with this.

when i was young, it was the cute guys that were a must, but somewhere along the line, i started shifting towards the women, the strong women. and i don't mean strong as in b*tchy, but just... i don't know.

xena - xena: warrior princess
    jadzia daz - deep space 9
    kira - deep space 9
    deanna troi - star trek next generation
    margaret houlihan (hot lips) - mash
    mac - jag
    dr heller - earth 2
    captain janeway - star trek voyager
    allison - medium

i'll stop now, but without that great female character to identify with... even a great show is just missing something.

sam's a great character.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      i sooo agree with this.

when i was young, it was the cute guys that were a must, but somewhere along the line, i started shifting towards the women, the strong women. and i don't mean strong as in b*tchy, but just... i don't know.

xena - xena: warrior princess
      jadzia daz - deep space 9
      kira - deep space 9
      deanna troi - star trek next generation
      margaret houlihan (hot lips) - mash
      mac - jag
      dr heller - earth 2
      captain janeway - star trek voyager
      allison - medium

i'll stop now, but without that great female character to identify with... even a great show is just missing something.

sam's a great character.

sally

Tried to green you as one "oldie" to another, Sal, but it wouldn't let me.

Here's to the great female characters that give us something to identify with!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        New Years eve is this weekend....so, how is sam's preferred way to spend it????
        Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
        Riding her motorcycle to a happenin' party with Jack in tow.

Ok, seriously...I bet she spends it tinkering away on some new project of hers whilest listening to her fav tunes.
        Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
        Jack's in town and they are all having a team night.
        Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
        Sam will fiddle with her doohickies on base until about 1700, then she'll go home and fiddle with her favorite doohicky.....Jack's in town.
        Sam had plans to spend New Year's Eve with the fellas...

...but then got an urgent message from the Pegasus site.

McKay was on the video link bragging that he was about to solve a mathmatical equation that had been driving Sam nuts for MONTHS. He teased her relentlessly that he was so close to solving something she hadn't yet...but then in his arrogance he accidentally let slip the key to figuring the rest of the problem out.

He saw the look in her eyes during the transmission and knew he blew it.

Then it was a race...each one rushing to their respective labs as they frantically and furiously worked on the solution. After several painstaking hours, a triumphant "AHA!!!" could be heard echoing throughout the corridors of the SGC as the clock struck 12:00am.

Okay the shipper in me HAS to add that Jack was at the SGC and saw her working. She shushed his repeated attempts to distract her and finally gave in when she blasted him with the male appendage shrivelling Carter glare. Jack was no dummy. Of all the things he learned and retained from his survival training, he never forgot the first rule in dealing with wild animals and irritated Carters. Don't antagonize them when they get antsy.

He looked at his watch...getting, or rather continuing to be impatient. It was going to be close...that's for sure. Until finally she shrieked her victorious battle cry only to subsequently find her mouth covered by the one owned by a particularly enthusiastic Major General.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Let's see, what would Sam be doing New Years Eve....

She would be watching the ball drop to signify the New Year

Of course it's the one she made and put on top of Cheyenne Mountain, that is precisely timed to the second, and will of couse explode at midnight
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post

McKay was on the video link bragging that he was about to solve a mathmatical equation that had been driving Sam nuts for MONTHS. He teased her relentlessly that he was so close to solving something she hadn't yet...but then in his arrogance he accidentally let slip the key to figuring the rest of the problem out.

Then it was a race...each one rushing to their respective labs as they frantically and furiously worked on the solution. After several painstaking hours, a triumphant "AHA!!!" could be heard echoing throughout the corridors of the SGC as the clock struck 12:00am.

Okay the shipper in me HAS to add that Jack was at the SGC and saw her working. She shushed his repeated attempts to distract her and finally gave in when she blasted him with the male appendage shrivelling Carter glare. Jack was no dummy. Of all the things he learned and retained from his survival training, he never forgot the first rule in dealing with wild animals and irritated Carters. Don't antagonize them when they get antsy.

He looked at his watch...getting, or rather continuing to be impatient. It was going to be close...that's for sure. Until finally she shrieked her victorious battle cry only to subsequently find her mouth covered by the one owned by a particularly enthusiastic Major General.

I very much like this scenario! Especially that last part there.

Comment

Yeah, when I was young it was all about the crush. I still enjoy hunky male actors playing hot heros, but it isn't top priority any more. Now, I want to see women doing things I could only dream of and Sam Carter fits that bill better than any character on t.v. But for me, if the celebrity portraying the character isn't of high moral quality then I quickly lose interest in the character(s) she plays. Obviously, I'm not gonna name any names here, but I don't bother with the celebs who frequent the tabloids too often. Amanda is genuinely a great person, so it stands to reason that I'll be in Samanda for a very, very long time. If Amanda weren't who she is then who Sam Carter is probably wouldn't matter that much to me.

Now, I'm off to bed Samandans. Hugs to all of you and especially those of you who are hurting deeply.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                Tried to green you as one "oldie" to another, Sal, but it wouldn't let me.

Here's to the great female characters that give us something to identify with!
                Hey! I'm only 19 and I love Xena, Janeway, Deanna, Margaret Houlihan...

I guess it's an aspiration thing, rather than an identifying thing. I don't know, I have always noticed strong female characters and that's what draws me to a show too. Only now am I starting to notice that some of the guys are kind of cute.

Sam is awesome.
                Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
                  I very much like this scenario! Especially that last part there.
                  Yep, I was getting worried about that poor Major General until that last second. I should have known that Oooober wouldn't let us down.

Of course, if Jack is stuck in D.C. then I can see Sam doing Mandy's suggestion. If she blows up the mountain then the big wigs in D.C. will have to send Jack to handle things.

*****Obviously, I'm kidding and I would never imply that Sam would seriously blow anything up in order to see Jack. That was my attempt at revenge for a certain polar bear who made an appearance elsewhere on the boards.

O.K., seriously Good Night people. It's midnight. I have to put my kids to bed. (Hey, its Christmas vacation. They are entitled to a few nights without a nine o'clock bedtime, right?)

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
                    Hey! I'm only 19 and I love Xena, Janeway, Deanna, Margaret Houlihan...

I guess it's an aspiration thing, rather than an identifying thing. I don't know, I have always noticed strong female characters and that's what draws me to a show too. Only now am I starting to notice that some of the guys are kind of cute.

Sam is awesome.
                    when you put it that way, i think it's more an 'aspiration' thing for me too. i 'wish' i were as strong and/or cool as these women, but since i'm not, i live through them.

and it's not perfection that i find interesting about these characters, but surviving and enduring and just making it through life. sam isn't perfect, and i'm *so* glad she's not written or acted that way.

i hope the last ten eps give sam fans something good and interesting and juicy. and i *really* hope those two dvd movies will blow us away!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post

LOL! I loved that...Sam would SO totally rush to her lab to beat McKay! Hee. And Jack would so kiss her for it!

Oh, and shhhhhhh. Don't tell Mandy I posted this. I told her I was going to get some sleep a half hour ago!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        and it's not perfection that i find interesting about these characters, but surviving and enduring and just making it through life. sam isn't perfect, and i'm *so* glad she's not written or acted that way.

i hope the last ten eps give sam fans something good and interesting and juicy. and i *really* hope those two dvd movies will blow us away!

sally
                        Yes! My favourite moments are when they show some vulnerability. These aren't perfect women, they have worked with what they have to do amazing things. That's why I love episodes like Grace and Threads, where we kind of see where Sam is coming from.
                        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
                          Yes! My favourite moments are when they show some vulnerability. These aren't perfect women, they have worked with what they have to do amazing things. That's why I love episodes like Grace and Threads, where we kind of see where Sam is coming from.
                          I agree completely. Grace had me in tears for the last half hour. And Threads was just heartbreaking. Amanda is such an incredible actor--and the scene with RDA as her dad was dying just broke my heart. Even as I type this I'm tearing up. I wasn't able to make it to my dad's last hours and it has always bothered me. Guess the ep and the scene in Grace with her dad just hit me really hard.

But I love the uncertainty between Jack and Sam as well--while I'd love to see them "together for keeps" I recognize the fact that it would just not do when considering the air force regs. After all, RDA got that award for representing the air force in a positive way. Jack and Sam are honorable people--HOWEVER, after all the times they've saved the world I don't see why they couldn't be given special dispensation--why not?!

BTW, I am also a sucker for strong women with foibles on other shows as well such as on ER and Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, loved West Wing women, loved Prime Suspect Helen Mirren is a marvelous actor. Since I retired I've watched more TV than ever but have found that I'm pretty fussy about the shows I watch. And most are woman-centric (is that the word?). And when there's nothing I'm interested in I pull out my Stargate DVDs:>)

donamac

Comment

Originally posted by donamac View Post
                            I agree completely. Grace had me in tears for the last half hour. And Threads was just heartbreaking. Amanda is such an incredible actor--and the scene with RDA as her dad was dying just broke my heart. Even as I type this I'm tearing up. I wasn't able to make it to my dad's last hours and it has always bothered me. Guess the ep and the scene in Grace with her dad just hit me really hard.
                            Oh, wow, I can see why you would be particularly effected by Threads. *hugs* It is a great episode. Hmm... I'm going to watch these 2 eps again as soon as I have time.

But I love the uncertainty between Jack and Sam as well--while I'd love to see them "together for keeps" I recognize the fact that it would just not do when considering the air force regs. After all, RDA got that award for representing the air force in a positive way. Jack and Sam are honorable people--HOWEVER, after all the times they've saved the world I don't see why they couldn't be given special dispensation--why not?!
                            They already have privileges that other air force officers don't have... I don't think I would want to to be a phone call from the president or something cheesy like that though. I think there is some wiggle room now though, they should be able to play around with the technicalities of the chain of command. Heh, wiggle room.

While I don't want Sam to be someone's girl... I don't see why she can't have a relationship. I mean... I flirted shamelessly with the guys in my physics class this year, but they knew I could kick their arses in physics. I don't flirt so much with anyone else, because I don't want anyone to think that's all I am... if that makes any sense. Oh, I flirt with my close friends, but they also know who I am. Sam has proven herself, I don't see why this should change.

Of course, all this only applies it it is written well... not so much season 9/10. Bring on the movies!

BTW, I am also a sucker for strong women with foibles on other shows as well such as on ER and Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, loved West Wing women, loved Prime Suspect Helen Mirren is a marvelous actor. Since I retired I've watched more TV than ever but have found that I'm pretty fussy about the shows I watch. And most are woman-centric (is that the word?). And when there's nothing I'm interested in I pull out my Stargate DVDs:>)

donamac
                            Agreed! I also love old British comedy though, which really doesn't have strong women.

Who is your favourite character on Grey's? I love Christina, but my favourite character is Addison.
                            Last edited by NZNeep; 27 December 2006, 11:32 PM.
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Sam: Thank GOD it wasnt' Commando Friday.
                              or
                              Sam: I swear to God, we're gonna super glue his trousers on.
                              or
                              Daniel: Mmhm, is THAT where my sock went?????
                              Teal'c: I beleive so, Daniel Jackson
                              Daniel: Repeat to myself, barefoot is good, barefoot is good
                              Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                              Sock? More like PAIR of socks! Either that or the Asgard have been doing experiments again
                              ...too funny...you girls are brilliant...scary...but brilliant!!
                              Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                              Amanda: *sigh* First Rick, then Chris, now Ben...can none of these guys keep their trousers on?
                              or
                              Sam: Cam, did you know that in Scotland the men wear a sporran to hold their loose change?
                              I can just imagine Amanda saying that too...funny Bev!!
                              Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                              This was so much fun to read, Kat. And Gate gal's experience while shopping for her DVDs. Which gives me an idea ...
                              Samandans, have you come out of the wormhole closet?! Do your friends and family know about your (choose one):

a) strong interest in
                              b) obsession with
                              c) devotion to
                              d) willingness to travel great distances for
                              e) all of the above

Stargate SG1 and all things Amanda
                              How did you break the news to the outer world? Or, are you still hiding your Stargate magazines under your bed? Stashing your boxed sets of DVDs in back of your husband's video library?

Come out, come out wherever you are ... fellow Samandans, how did you first get hooked on the show and especially Sam Carter? How long have you been watching? Have you ever attended a con? Whose autographs have you managed to get? What do you plan to do once Season 10 comes to an end?
                              Cool...I'm gonna love this one...let me see...yes my family and friends know about my obsession/devotion/strong interest and willingness to travel great distances for Stargate...and trust me when I say...I cop it bad from all of them...except my kids and sister inlaw Caz!
                              We actually got into a heated argument on christmas day about it...I tried to diffuse it...honest I did...but they just don't get it...I'll never win but that's ok...I still got GW and all the seasons on dvd - which I show off proudly!!
                              I first got hooked on the show after I watched a few eps from season 5 way back then...I'm not sure exactly what hooked me completely but I love the team dynamics and the humour and the science...and the mythology...when we had it!! I love how it makes you think...about a lot of things...it's so different from the normal sci fi stuff out there...and I'm so bored of the cop/csi/medical goo goo dramas...I love the cgi's...I love the behind the scenes stuff too - that is the best!!
                              I'm not sure what it is about Sam Carter either...I think a lot of it is Amanda herself...but of course I love all the guys on Stargate as well...I love the ust between S/J & D/V!!
                              I'm not ashamed to admit it ever...that I love stargate...I'd tell everyone if I could...it's the best thing on telly...I don't watch much else but SG1 and SGA...if they're not on, I visit GW or read some fics or just chat to the fantastic folks I've met here, on msn!!
                              So...I've been watching for 5 years now and I've only been to 1 con (aint it sad!) and that was in November this year where I met Tony Amendola, Rachel Luttrell and David Nykl...and I got thier autographs and a photo done with each of them...and I'm off to my second con in April where I will meet and have dinner with Don S Davis and David DeLuise!!
                              My ultimate dream would be to meet Amanda...for sooo many reasons...but I would also love very much to meet some Samandans and S/J shippers too...it gets so lonely all the way down here...not many fans around my way...so that's my story...ooooh ooohh...wait...and when season 10 finishes, I'm gonna cry...a lot...then i'm gonna hang out for the movies...and keep begging my husband to let me go to AT3...coz if I can't go to AT3, there will have to be an AT4...and I will be there...come "Netu" or high water!!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                                I doubt there's any chance of that. The love oozes out of every post, barely contained. Everyone is trying very hard to tread the fine line of being supportive without being intrusive. It's difficult. And those of us who have lost close family members have an even harder time containing ourselves.
                                A little poster of support for Amanda...
                                Spoiler:
                                That is so very true what you have written above, it is hard and from very personal experience it is not good to bottle up feelings, also in these first few days you are in a kind of void and for Amanda to come online is the first step in the long, long road of healing.
                                Kamel's book of condolences was imho a lovely gentle unintrusive way to show our feelings just by the giving of names.
                                I love your poster, it's just right for all Samandans to give to Amanda.
                                ......TARA......

Comment

Working...
                                X