• Show
Clear All

Gabitour

I LIKE that
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post

Happy memories are precious, and these are some that I will always cherish. They are memories I wouldn't have if I hadn't discovered this thread. So, as sappy as it sounds, thank you all for making Samanda such a great place, and thank you, Sally, for starting it. Thank you, too, Amanda, for giving us the reason to be here.

you know, maybe's it the time of year, but...

a couple of days ago i started ranting about certain fans that had irked me. and again, about the same subject. so, if i hadn't have started the thread before, i would have now. it really is kind of weird, this timin' thing...

Happy Anniversary Sam Thread!

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

From what I gather, it's a Samandan Anniversary?? Woot! Long live Samanda!

And GAIT-Get Amanda In Texas! I can never go to Europe! At least somewhere in North America.

Comment

My first post – 8th March 2006 – post 31,138 on the thread.

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
          Spoiler:
          I would like to be able to say that Sam has been my favourite character since the first episode I saw, but since that episode was 'The Enemy Within', I can't. Sam wasn't really shown very prominently in that episode and, although I definitely found her character interesting from the start, it was 'Emancipation' that launched her to the position of my favourite character.

Although the team made quite a few mistakes on Simarka, I thought that Sam showed bravery and compassion, and remained very level headed given the circumstances of her abduction. She also demonstrated an impressive ability for hand to hand combat and her restraint in not killing Turghan was admirable, and probably not something I'd have shown under the circumstances.

I don't think that there could have been any doubt that Sam was an asset to the team after 'Emancipation'.

'Singularity' was another great episode for Sam, showing the depths of compassion that the character was capable of, something that Cassandra must have sensed in her, given how quickly she became attached to her. Perhaps some might say that staying with Cassie based on a feeling was foolish, but I think that Sam is to be admired for her refusal not to leave a little girl alone to die. I shudder to think what it might have done to Cassie emotionally if she had been left alone, thinking that she was about to die any second, for however long it took for those above to be sure that she wasn't going to blow up and for someone to go down to her.

I have lost count of the amount of times that Sam's intelligence and grace under pressure have saved Earth - she's even saved the Asgard! - and, although Jack was the one who negotiated the deal that included Earth in the Protected Planets Treaty and definitely deserves praise for that, that deal would never have gone through had Sam not been able to put aside her personal feelings and use Goa'uld technology, something she is not all that comfortable with, to save Cronus' life.

It was a perfect example of Sam's willingness to put the greater good ahead of herself.

It is true that Sam has made mistakes at times, but her successes far outweigh them and I have never had a reason to doubt her intelligence, her courage, her integrity, her commitment to work or, more importantly, her heart.

Through the seasons, I have seen Sam mature from an eager, almost naive captain to a capable and compassionate leader, whose military prowess has evolved along with her scientific expertise.

I firmly believe that she would be an amazing commander for SG-1, but sadly that is not the case. I hope that this situation will be rectified next season, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Samantha Carter is the type of character I wish were real. If the Earth really was at risk from hostile aliens, I for one would sleep a lot better knowing that somebody like Sam was a part of the fight against them.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I think this was my first post, totally off-topic because I am unable to resist correcting misinformation, know-it-all that I am...

Originally posted by Strix varia
            Yeah, this is a very amusing urban legend. The Myth Busters on TV made an episode where they actually built a chicken launching cannon to determine if thawing the chicken would make any difference when hitting a windshield. After blowing airplane windshields to smithereens with both thawed and frozen chickens, they eventually determined that the difference between thawed and frozen chickens was negligible when striking with that amount of force.

I laughed my a** off the whole episode.

My LJ

Comment

I'm too lazy to go searching for my first post.

If I'm even more lurker in the next week or two, it's due to having gallbladder surgery on Wednesday. I might be surfing (as in NET surfing) by the next day, but no promises. It's supposed to be pretty cut and dry considering they're doing it laparoscopically. I'm just tired of being tired and my tummy/abdomen giving trouble.

Happy anniversary Samanda thread!

Oh yeah...I'd see an con Amanda attends if I can afford it.
              sigpic
              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

While we're on first post stuff... My first post (January '05) typically agreed with someone else's insightful comments (rather than making any of my own )--in this case our dear Astrogeologist (see below). And I still love that scene. Also love the point about Sam being Hand Signal person in charge. Ah, if only...
                (my first attempt at multiquoting)

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                I loved that too. She just saw the need and stepped in. And (to this non-military expert) unless we had really good effects, it look like AT handled it well.
                Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
                One of the best Sam Carter moments – that hooked me on Stargate – was at the beginning of the Season 3 episode ‘Forever in a Day’. SGC personnel are fighting all-out against advancing Jaffa. In the midst of the pitched battle Sam capably handles an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade launcher, if I have that correctly).
                What astounded me when I saw these fleeting intro scenes was how the writers and directors allowed Carter to simply function as one of the soldiers. No comment on the fact that she was a woman… or that RPGs are usually associated with macho men… More typically an RPG is something that they would have had Teal’c or O’Neill wielding. But Carter got to do it… and they simply moved on without fanfare. I was so impressed at how they handled the female soldier, that I became an avid fan from thereon after.

First two photos are screen captures from the StargateFan website
                Rightmost photo is a screen capture from the Abydos Gate Website

After that I ordered the Season 1, 2 and 3 DVDs and watched them in order. What a treat! So many great Carter moments (see earlier posts).

Being a female scientist myself, I love seeing Carter organically solve techno-science problems. AT has created an intelligent female character who isn’t arrogant or b----y.

I also like seeing the ‘softer side of Sam’… the moments when they let her cry…. or simply dress in jeans or a skirt and a simple shirt.

But when each new episode begins, I have to admit, I am always hoping that they will show more of the oh-so-competent kick-ass ‘Soldier Sam’.

My vote overwhelmingly goes to giving Sam lots of screen time as the Hand Signal Person In Charge!

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post

If I'm even more lurker in the next week or two, it's due to having gallbladder surgery on Wednesday. I might be surfing (as in NET surfing) by the next day, but no promises. It's supposed to be pretty cut and dry considering they're doing it laparoscopically. I'm just tired of being tired and my tummy/abdomen giving trouble.

Hey Sun, we can be surgery buddies!! I'm having another surgery this Thursday, 21st ( just 3 months after the major back surgery) to have a troublesome right ovary that now has a plum sized cyst.... removed. I'm also having the Laparoscopy which they say recovery time is less, 3 days to a week. Mine isn't until 3pm! and outpatient which means I won't be home until 10ish that evening I doubt I'll be online at all.
                  Want to compare scars?

PS: My daughter has suffered from a gall bladder attack. I saw the misery she went through that night so I feel for your suffering. Glad you decided to get it out.
                  Last edited by SG1Poz; 18 December 2006, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post

Aw man. I know you said it shouldn't be a big deal, but take care and get some rest! And I hope this clears up the tummy trouble you've been having.

Comment

Spreding the Samanda Love (((((((Samandas everywhere))))))) and saying night night

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Happy Birthday NC!!

I hope you had a great day!!

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                          Hey Sun, we can be surgery buddies!! I'm having another surgery this Thursday, 21st ( just 3 months after the major back surgery) to have a troublesome right ovary that now has a plum sized cyst.... removed. I'm also having the Laparoscopy which they say recovery time is less, 3 days to a week. Mine isn't until 3pm! and outpatient which means I won't be home until 10ish that evening I doubt I'll be online at all.
                          Want to compare scars?
                          Eek! Another Samandan patient-to-be? Take care, Poz! I know you probably won't be online until after Christmas at this point, so get some rest over the holidays, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                            Eek! Another Samandan patient-to-be? Take care, Poz! I know you probably won't be online until after Christmas at this point, so get some rest over the holidays, OK?
                            *chokes on iced tea she inhaled* Fear not! I'll be online come hell or high water! *scratches head, where did that line come from history buffs?* Just...probably not Thursday night, although personally, I wouldn't bet
                            and no, I won't be showing this scar on-line!

Thank you Spazzers I'll be ok. This should be ..and I know it's a Sam thread but I can't resist..."A Piece of Cake" after the last one

Deej! Still thinking of you!! (((((DEEJAY))))

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              What a great post Stix! I think you summed it up very well Happy Anniversary Samanda!

I think this calls for another Samandan Group Hug!

I agree and Happy Annivesary Samanda!!

Comment

Okay I guess I can play the first post game too tsax's first post in SaGC - I have no idea what pictures used to be in that post -

(((SunKrux))) (((Poz))) - praying you both get better soon.
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X