Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    skeptical and cynical me is thinking more along the line of fans expressing their heart felt desire than anything else

gateworld itself says taht the series is in it's very beginning planning stages...and that doesn't jive with 'we want it to star XXX' simply because the character of XXX predetermines the basic premise of the show

(ie, it'd be like saying that the series is in its most basic planning stages, but we know that richard dean anderson will star in it reprising his role of general jack o'neill......ain't very basic planning now is it????)

I'd file that one away with that 10 pound grain of salt

ETA: and i said that before i looked at the source of the 'rumor'

yeah, consider the source.
    That's a pretty HUGE claim to make without having a reliable source. Is that website in the habit of making such claims that then prove to be false? (Not being snarky, I really don't know...)

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
      On topic. I hope that Amanda, if approched to even guest star on the thrid series says no. As much as I happy that she's going to be doing a few episodes for Atlantis (under contract). I have this nagging in the back of my head that she'l be used to prop up the new cast members.

I hope I'm wrong. But after the movies, I'd love to see her far away from anything having to do with Stargate.
      Yeah... I'm with you guys... I'd gladly watch her in Stargate if and when she decided to continue in some capacity besides Atlantis, but I'd like to see her in something far away from Stargate and The SciFi Channel.

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
      That's a pretty HUGE claim to make without having a reliable source. Is that website in the habit of making such claims that then prove to be false? (Not being snarky, I really don't know...)
      It could be along the lines of, "If we say it enough, it has a higher probability of coming true." I'm still skeptical of "the source," as Sky has called it. I guess the site's leadership is based on a combination of fans throughout the fandom, but there's a consistent tone and theme to their tactics and polling projects that seems really familiar...

They're also the ones who said that TH was leaving to accommodate AT, and because of the pull they have within this fandom these days and how fast that theory spread, tbh that's one beef I have with them.

That's not to say that they DON'T have an anonymous and reliable source... I just don't see why, as LaCroix said, MSOL and Gateworld haven't posted the info yet.

Comment

you know what a friend of mine once told me?

the key to spin doctoring is to never lie. tell or don't tell selectively, but never lie

I don't pay much attention to stuff from that site simply because i don't care for the folks that run it and i personally find their preferences towards one character/actor to color what they do. They tend to write with Daniel colored glasses, and see the fandom that way too.

which is cool. works for them. Amandatapping.com only reports on amanda related stuff. rdanderson.com only reports on stargate episodes where rick is in the show.

but as a source, i do not trust solutions. you make your own judgement call. I only trust three fan sources in this fandom. Gateworld. at.com, rda.com

Again, my cynical POV is that opinion is often spun into 'fact' and passed off as such. and when that fact is proved wrong, the proof of the spin is conveniently lost and deleted.

I have one huge logic flaw in the third series being the tales of daniel jackson. ok, more than one

he wasn't ever signed for s11 an we know that AT was at least optioned for 2 years whereas MS either wasn't or they didn't exercise it.

in this time of younger, prettier and skinner, wouldn't you see them going more for a Sheppard or Cameron type of hero?

If they really wanted him to be teh lead in a show, why wasn't he the lead in s9 and 10 and why was ben hired?

I personally write off that rumor as fans' wishes and will continue to see it as such until something comes from a source i trust.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I got the newest issue of the official Stargate magazine in the mail today, and I’d like to hear your reactions to something in it. There’s an article called Notes From the Set – the final diary installment from second assistant director Vince Coates. He talks about the last few weeks of working on SG-1. Here’s the bit that surprised me

Spoiler:
          “It’s episode 20, Unending, and we are shooting on the Odyssey. Our director this last episode is Robert Cooper (also our Executive Producer). We shot our last crew photo yesterday, fittingly in the gate room on the Stargate ramp.

I am sitting here on Stage 1 this morning listening to a concert cellist play for us on camera. She is body/hand doubling Col. Carter and I have never heard the sound stage so quiet. If you have never heard a cello it makes quite a haunting sound, and this lady is very good – she has been playing since she was four years old. The crew just broke out into applause when Robert finally yelled, ‘Cut’.”

So, Sam plays the cello? I’ve forgotten, is this supposed to be an AU episode?

NC

Comment

not necessarily.

jsut because this woman is a hand double doesn't mean that her personal talent is imposed upon the characger she's doubling for.

everyone brings things to kill time on set. it's possible that this person's talent is that very same killing of time

of course
            Spoiler:
            unending IS set in the future. maybe sam learns to play the cello....maye so that they could homage Airwolf?????
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don't pay much attention to stuff from that site simply because i don't care for the folks that run it and i personally find their preferences towards one character/actor to color what they do. They tend to write with Daniel colored glasses, and see the fandom that way too.
              Which could be why they might have gotten the scoop on a MS/Daniel story...?

Again, I don't know the history of how reliable they are, so I'll take your word that they can't be entirely trusted.

I have one huge logic flaw in the third series being the tales of daniel jackson. ok, more than one

he wasn't ever signed for s11 an we know that AT was at least optioned for 2 years whereas MS either wasn't or they didn't exercise it.

in this time of younger, prettier and skinner, wouldn't you see them going more for a Sheppard or Cameron type of hero?

If they really wanted him to be teh lead in a show, why wasn't he the lead in s9 and 10 and why was ben hired?
              Oh, I agree that it doesn't make much sense, but few of the decisions they've made the past two years have made much sense to me. Maybe they're trying to prove that they've learned from their mistakes?

My LJ

Comment

If I may post my reaction: I don't mind a Third series. And if possible it'd be OK for Amanda if she wants to do a few guest appearences, but with that other project (the exclusive producer thing) I mean I heared she has a 14 hour day job, I can't stand 14 hours working. All I can say about that is RESPECT and I'm glad she get's "promoted".

Yasureyabetcha I'm gonna follow - and support her!

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular View Post
                  Ok, I got the newest issue of the official Stargate magazine in the mail today, and I’d like to hear your reactions to something in it. There’s an article called Notes From the Set – the final diary installment from second assistant director Vince Coates. He talks about the last few weeks of working on SG-1. Here’s the bit that surprised me

Spoiler:
                  “It’s episode 20, Unending, and we are shooting on the Odyssey. Our director this last episode is Robert Cooper (also our Executive Producer). We shot our last crew photo yesterday, fittingly in the gate room on the Stargate ramp.

I am sitting here on Stage 1 this morning listening to a concert cellist play for us on camera. She is body/hand doubling Col. Carter and I have never heard the sound stage so quiet. If you have never heard a cello it makes quite a haunting sound, and this lady is very good – she has been playing since she was four years old. The crew just broke out into applause when Robert finally yelled, ‘Cut’.”

So, Sam plays the cello? I’ve forgotten, is this supposed to be an AU episode?

NC
                  As always, NC, thanks so much for the tidbit!

Spoiler:
                  It's certainly an interesting choice of last-minute character development for Carter... I mean, this is a bit of a nuance that could be rather interesting if it's an AU bit that takes place in the future, or whatever... I've come to expect something like this from fanfic writers, not TPTB.

And I think it is in the episode, because the 2nd AD mentioned "Cut!"
                  Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 15 December 2006, 01:22 PM. Reason: too many smiley faces...

Comment

the key to spin doctoring is to never lie. tell or don't tell selectively, but never lie
                    Another thing I thought of:
                    The Solutions article specifically said that MS was approached about being the lead for the 3rd series, not that he'd accepted the role. If any spin doctoring is being done, I'd suspect they were trying to pressure MS into accepting the role, rather than trying to create an offer out of no substance at all... or, at least, that would make more sense to me.

My LJ

Comment

Another thing I thought of:
                      The Solutions article specifically said that MS was approached about being the lead for the 3rd series, not that he'd accepted the role. If any spin doctoring is being done, I'd suspect they were trying to pressure MS into accepting the role, rather than trying to create an offer out of no substance at all... or, at least, that would make more sense to me.
                      Add to that the not-so-subtle hint to Daniel/Vala fans about lobbying the studio for more Vala, and the overt spinning has indeed begun.

It's essentially all a power trip. People keep talking about that one element these days, but this particular crowd really seems to like the idea of being able to manipulate the fandom with the illusion that they have some sort of inside knowledge of, or control over, major production decisions at MGM and Bridge. It's very transparent, yet also very disturbing, because they do have a LOT of followers.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                        Add to that the not-so-subtle hint to Daniel/Vala fans about lobbying the studio for more Vala, and the overt spinning has indeed begun.

It's essentially all a power trip. People keep talking about that one element these days, but this particular crowd really seems to like the idea of being able to manipulate the fandom with the illusion that they have some sort of inside knowledge of, or control over, major production decisions at MGM and Bridge. It's very transparent, yet also very disturbing, because they do have a LOT of followers.
                        I'd bet they won't approach Claudia, though, until MS has signed a contract.
                        Last edited by Strix varia; 15 December 2006, 02:11 PM.

My LJ

Comment

I'd bet they won't approach Claudia, though, until MS has signed a contract.
                          I agree...

Which is unfortunate, because they SO should not be a package deal, and her being asked SO should not be contingent on whether or not MS is involved.

Whether one loves D/V or hates it, they still could do so much with CB's talent whether MS is on board or not.
                          Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 15 December 2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                            It's TPTB's loss. Changeling was one of the best episodes of Stargate for me and it was written by Chris. Unfortunately Amanda was given a stinker of an episode to direct.
                            Yet despite the script's weaknesses (and a dire plot holedevice) AT made something well worth watching out of it. I loved that long crane shot at the beginning, and the scenes with the bad guy were done really well (great guest actor too).
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                              Hey guys! Happy Holidays!

I was just trying to catch up with the pages and pages of convo here...

In regards to The Meeting, I think I interpreted it in a way that's somewhere between Strix's and Sky's, because I thought that for AT (someone who's never really been known for being overly snarky to people - not seriously anyway) to kinda "tell them like it is", so to speak, it had to have been someone she knew. She might not have been long-time friends with them, but I figured she couldn't have been meeting them for the first time that evening. So, somewhere between colleagues and acquaintances maybe?

And as for Bridge Studios, there seemed to be a couple of clues that suggested the project would be filmed there. I'm sure others have mentioned it already, but I believe the most notable clue was when Thomasina said that AT was there to discuss the upcoming project... Am I remembering that accurately?

At any rate, I thought that, just because the project would be filmed at Bridge, that didn't mean that the Stargate fellas would be involved with it. I know Stargate is like THE project that's filmed there these days, but aren't there other projects at Bridge, too?
                              Still... It seems that the place should be receiving a LOT of traffic over the next year or so, with Atlantis, the movies, and a third series. And if M&M are covering Atlantis, will BW and RCC head the third series next year?
                              Okay I don't have time to finish read all the posts - but I will make a quick comment before I head out for a performance.

I don't think AT is involved with the possible new Gate series. But the meeting could very well have been at Bridge because they do final other things at the studio. Plus have production offices at Bridge that have been used for other projects. For example the first time I was on the set they were working on Fantastic Four at Bridge even though they did not do any filming at the set. FF4 was using one of the production offices for some editing of the movie at the Bridge Studio according to Martin Gero when I asked him out the reserved parking signs I saw for FF4 crew.

With that I'm out of here -
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Just musings on the music topic....

[spoilers]
                                Something like music would be lovely to show how the character has evolved. At the beginning of the series, her playing would have been very clinical and unfeeling. Now it would be emotional and artistic, just like McKay describes her.

Random musings really, but it's odd to bring in such a random character trait so late in the day
                                [/spoiler]
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X