No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you do have a point, and i do have to say, i don't think it's totally misogyny, chris hasn't been allowed to write, michael hasn't been allowed to direct either

The Frat Boys have their little mutual admiration society and they don't want anyone to spoil their 'fun'...thus they seem to be willing to keep everyone 'in thier place' as much as possible.

it's like they've decided, now that Rick is gone, they are the only ones allowed to have any creative input into the show and everyone else just needs to sit down, be quiet,a nd bask in thier greatness.

and they are doing some good stuff...it's just not a definition of 'good' that has - and i think will ever - have a mass appeal. Their stuff appeals to a tiny segment of the viewing public, and the ratings show that.

If chris or Michael ever want to be more than actors, they need to look else where as well. Because i don't think it'll ever happen under the umbrella of the Frat Boys
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      Quick Question: You know how Kamil mentioned the Christmas greetings for Amanda here? Do those get posted on the AT site or do they go directly to her? I'd just as soon not have my name and email address out there for the world to see, but I wouldn't mind AT seeing it. Anyone know how this works?
      how it's been done in the past is that kamil puts them up on a page, tells amanda about it, gives her a day or three to read it in private, then makes the addy public

so sorry, i think it's 'all or nothing', either your address is posted for everyone to see, or it's not posted. I don't think there's an 'amanda only' page

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by abydosorphan View Post

Also, I would LOVE to read Amanda's blog, if she had one. She's just so funny and 'typical' in person and I'm sure it would be great to read her little excerpts.
        I asked her about this at one of the Q&As and she did seem interested. I think she'd be a natural and got to nudge her a bit again at the tea and the photo session. She may need to blog with a pseudonym if she wants to just put it out there and do maybe the mommy blogger thing or general blogging. I told her to think about going in through a back door and just trying it out.

I think she would get swamped if she did it as Amanda ... but David Hewlett's sister Kate is writing up a storm and seems to have adjusted well to blogging and SA fans following her there.

There's so much more to Amanda then Sam Carter and I would love to read about her life if she'd care to share ... she is such a funny storyteller in person, a natural and I bet she would write some wickedly funny stuff. I can't help but think of the "taking parachute lesson" story she let rip at AT2 and we were ROTFL.

So, Amanda ... here's that pesky CG once again ... saying that you should set up a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          how it's been done in the past is that kamil puts them up on a page, tells amanda about it, gives her a day or three to read it in private, then makes the addy public

so sorry, i think it's 'all or nothing', either your address is posted for everyone to see, or it's not posted. I don't think there's an 'amanda only' page
          Thanks.

And I think you're probably unfortunately right about B@B hoarding the "creative" options. Somehow RCC can direct but they can't let AT? AT had qualifications for the job (directing theater) when she got her chance (which she had to fight for )--I don't know what RCC's are except being a producer.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            Thanks.

And I think you're probably unfortunately right about B@B hoarding the "creative" options. Somehow RCC can direct but they can't let AT? AT had qualifications for the job (directing theater) when she got her chance (which she had to fight for )--I don't know what RCC's are except being a producer.
            I think you just answered your own question.

Comment

like folks said, if she blogged, it'd have to be moderated.

Kate Hewlett doesn't have a whole legion of people willing to bash her, so it's a bit different for her. Amanda, on the other hand, would probably be a target of some very passionate people who tend to take things a bit too personally.

Part of me would love to see it, but another part of me - the protective side - kinda dreads her being opened up to being bashed so freely 'to her face' as it is

sigpic

Comment

My protective impulses also say that AT shouldn't do a blog. Maybe they can get her to do some moderated chats or something.

Comment

Kate Hewlett doesn't have a whole legion of people willing to bash her, so it's a bit different for her. Amanda, on the other hand, would probably be a target of some very passionate people who tend to take things a bit too personally.

Part of me would love to see it, but another part of me - the protective side - kinda dreads her being opened up to being bashed so freely 'to her face' as it is
                  Yep. As cool as it would be to get her perspective on life outside of Stargate once a month, or whatever... the other side of the coin is rather nasty. I'm not going to be as diplomatic as Sky when I say that there are some crazy people out there who have way more time on their hands than they should. A blog without proper moderation would be like open season for all 2 of them.

It certainly doesn't mean it's not doable, though. I think it would be pretty neat, if done right. Gateworld would definitely be the best route for that.

Comment

Just my feelings and impressions. but i think she's ready to let stargate go and move out and onto bigger and better things
                    Ya know, I have to say that I don't really blame her if that's the case. She's given 10 years of her life to this show and done it willingly and happily. I've never heard even a peep about her ever pulling anything even remotely prima donna-ish and she really would have been within her rights to after the way she was treated in season 9. And I really won't go to in depth with that because it still ticks me off that she was treated as completely expendable.

The selfish part of me would love to see her continue on with Stargate in some shape or form forever but I also recognize that, as an actor, she probably would like to get out there and stretch her wings so to speak. To try new genres and really hone her craft.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

If chris or Michael ever want to be more than actors, they need to look else where as well. Because i don't think it'll ever happen under the umbrella of the Frat Boys
                      It's TPTB's loss. Changeling was one of the best episodes of Stargate for me and it was written by Chris. Unfortunately Amanda was given a stinker of an episode to direct.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Kinda OT, but has anyone seen this before? I found it here.

Originally posted by Cinema Blend
                        Coming Soon caught up with ‘Stargate SG-1’ star Beau Bridges at a recent junketn for The Good German. There Beau told them, "They're talking about doing a couple of movies. I haven't actually signed on the dotted line, but there is talk about it."

Apparently this is more than just idle chatter, since Bridges says that even though he hasn’t seen it, he thinks they have the scripts finished. When or how this will happen is unknown. Bridges had no further insight except to say that he doesn’t think they’ll finish their final season and go straight into making movies.
                        I just thought it was interesting that he wasn't officially on board yet. Are these films not meant to have any generals?

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                          Ya know, I have to say that I don't really blame her if that's the case. She's given 10 years of her life to this show and done it willingly and happily. I've never heard even a peep about her ever pulling anything even remotely prima donna-ish and she really would have been within her rights to after the way she was treated in season 9. And I really won't go to in depth with that because it still ticks me off that she was treated as completely expendable.

The selfish part of me would love to see her continue on with Stargate in some shape or form forever but I also recognize that, as an actor, she probably would like to get out there and stretch her wings so to speak. To try new genres and really hone her craft.
                          I agree!!! The way she was treated in s9 is why I am hoping the new project is not with the Stargate franchise. I don't think it will be, I think she has a great opportunity else where. Like someone was saying earlier that she knows a lot of people in the industry and because she is not the prima donna and seems to treat everyone from fans to coworkers with compassion I would think she would be a dream to have work for you.

I think her talents in front of and behind the camera has gotten enough attention from Vancouver that she will have great success outside of Stargate. I agree with so many it is time for her to move on to bigger and better things. All the episode commentary’s that I have listened to ... they have mentioned how wonderful Amanda is always knowing her lines and hitting her marks. THey seem genuinely impressed with her professionalism and her personally. They didn't have to say this because she wasn't in the room she was on the screen, but they chose to talk about her and it was always in a positive light! Here's to Amanda and to a great future!

Comment

What Sky said. There's no Amanda only bit. Amanda sees it first and then Kamil lets everyone know where the pages are so that they can see them afterwards, but waits until Amanda has had a look first, because it is for her first and foremost.

If you don't want your address public then I suggest you don't put it.

Julia
                            To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Agreed. And even if one sets aside the bit about moderation, serious blogging is a serious time commitment and Amanda has indicated more than once she has other priorities right now. I cannot imagine anyone with a full time career and a toddler at home having enough time to dedicate to keeping an online journal up to date with regularity. A lot of us don't have time to blog on an ongoing basis so it's not difficult to sympathise.

I also think that it would be a potentially detrimental idea because Amanda seems to take things very personally when it comes to internet-vitriol projected at projects she's invested her heart and energy into. As so many have already pointed out, there are some cruel, really selfish numpties out there who love nothing better than to spend their time trolling for ways to belittle and bully blogs like that (even if it was moderated and they had to post about it elsewhere). These people feel important when they do this sort of thing and they'll find a way to be petty and insensitive even if they have to spend all day every day looking for a public forum in which to do it. Because of that, I really think a conventional blog would be something that would end up breeding angst for Amanda, even if it may also breed some truly intelligent and thoughtful feedback. If she's already reading message board posts and coming away upset ...... I wouldn't ever counsel someone who felt that way to open themselves up with a blog. Far too thick a skin is required to maintain stoicism. (Not to mention that a lot of her supporters would head out on the war path as soon as the nastier bullies came out to play).

geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                                Agreed. And even if one sets aside the bit about moderation, serious blogging is a serious time commitment and Amanda has indicated more than once she has other priorities right now. I cannot imagine anyone with a full time career and a toddler at home having enough time to dedicate to keeping an online journal up to date with regularity. A lot of us don't have time to blog on an ongoing basis so it's not difficult to sympathise.

I also think that it would be a potentially detrimental idea because Amanda seems to take things very personally when it comes to internet-vitriol projected at projects she's invested her heart and energy into. As so many have already pointed out, there are some cruel, really selfish numpties out there who love nothing better than to spend their time trolling for ways to belittle and bully blogs like that (even if it was moderated and they had to post about it elsewhere). These people feel important when they do this sort of thing and they'll find a way to be petty and insensitive even if they have to spend all day every day looking for a public forum in which to do it. Because of that, I really think a conventional blog would be something that would end up breeding angst for Amanda, even if it may also breed some truly intelligent and thoughtful feedback. If she's already reading message board posts and coming away upset ...... I wouldn't ever counsel someone who felt that way to open themselves up with a blog. Far too thick a skin is required to maintain stoicism. (Not to mention that a lot of her supporters would head out on the war path as soon as the nastier bullies came out to play).

geek
                                *sharpens blade and polishes shield*

You rang?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X