Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    like i said to sky privately, this event was waaaaaaaay out of my money league, but i still hope that if another one is set up (with amanda and rick), it could be in rick's own back door. which is MY own back door. (no, i don't live with rick... whimpers... wish, wish, wish, wish, wish, wish, wish, drool, wish, whimper, wish, drool some more)

sally
    Oh so you're the one who keeps knocking at Rick's back door
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

You guys should all read this blog entry, it's from an AT2 attendee, Megyn, who's from South Africa - a really beautiful young lady I met very briefly in front of the doors to the Pink Party on Saturday night. She also won a "Tea with Amanda" at the raffle. Her blog account of AT2 is brilliant and rather wondeful, imho, because it's so detailed and so heartfelt. Beautiful - especially if you didn't get a chance to attend. I think you'll love it.

http://ofwhalesinstars.blogspot.com/...kend-with.html

geek
        Last edited by minigeek; 09 December 2006, 05:02 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          About the age, not going there, every woman needs a little mystery
          (and hush up to those who know it )
          What Mandy? 121 21 is a great age.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          i don't know if i'd put DH in 'not appealing to the T&A factor' since we have edie and gabrielle prancing around half dressed, but i do see the others.

there are strong female characters on criminal minds, and catherine is a good one on CSI, as is melinda kanakaredes on csi:ny (i stopped watching miami cause i couldn't stand caruso's ego stroking) but i see the females there more used for the sum of their tank tops than anything else. (and, to be fair, catherine wears her fair share)

there are good strong females on ER, and really good ones on grey's.

and i agree. the T&A factor may superficially appeal to the hormonal young male that so many studios seem determined to attract, but that attraction soon wanes because ever other frakking tv show out there is tossing tits and butts in thier faces and it's a boobie smorgasboard on the tv.

T&A is not unique, shows that focus on it and use it as a crutch are a dime a dozen, thus when a show turns all its appeal to the wares of its female actors, the boys usually get bored and find anotehr show and it's very easy to find another show because there is a glut of T&A out there.

but the brilliant folks at the networks just can't grasp that, while increasing the T&A might up the ratings in the short term...in the long run, it turns off more than it turns on. Every show that turns to T&A ends up dying within a year or two because they just can't do T&A AND story at the same time.
          Sadly, with T&A controlling so many shows there is very little good drama left on t.v. today.
          Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
          Anyway, I'm impatient to finish up the SGA episodes. I know Amanda has a couple more appearances. And frankly, none of them could possibly be shorter than the one in Letters From Pegasus!!! (Seriously - I couldn't believe how much I had been looking forward to that episode, knowing Amanda was going to be in it. No one warned me she was going to be in it for 10 seconds.)
          It was really a waste of Amanda, wasn't it? I agree that there are many things Sam could add to the SGA, especially with the right writing.
          Originally posted by minigeek View Post
          You guys should all read this blog entry, it's from an AT2 attendee, Megyn, who's from South Africa - a really beautiful young lady I met very briefly in front of the doors to the Pink Party on Saturday night. She also won a "Tea with Amanda" at the raffle. Her blog account of AT2 is brilliant and rather wondeful, imho, because it's so detailed and so heartfelt. Beautiful - especially if you didn't get a chance to attend. I think you'll love it.

geek
          Wow, excellent blog!

Comment

geek
            Thanks so much for posting the link. It was an utterly delightful read.

Comment

geek
              Thankyou for the link Mini and what a lovely read, it makes me all the more determend to go to AT3.
              ......TARA......

Comment

O.K., so I posted something similar to this on the S/J Shipper thread but it isn't shippy at all and probably belongs here more than it belongs there. Spoilers because it is about Happy Feet, but no spoilers that would ruin the show.
                Spoiler:
                There is this scene in Happy Feet where you can see the Northern Lights dancing on the water, and I think to myself time to be cool know-it-all mom. I whisper "Those are the--" and daughter interupts "I know, Mom, the Northern lights." Well, there went my chance to be cool. Then on the ride home I remember the Avalon story about how Amanda said seeing the Northern Lights during an emotional point in her late teens really helped her, and I share this with the kids. Boom, I'm cool know-it-all mom again. You know how crazy my little girl is about Amanda, and my son is ready to move to Canada so he can see the lights. Thanks to which ever Avalon attendee posted that story! Also, I loved the conservation message in the movie. It made me think of Amanda and Rick's work in that area.
                Last edited by Gate gal; 09 December 2006, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Julia is adorable, and handles pretty well the futile task of keeping to a schedule. It's like bailing out the Titanic with a teacup.

You just have to watch the G4 interact wiht Amanda to know that there's some real trust there. AT trusts them to take care of her and to balance taking care of the fans with not abusing AT's time. doing their best to keep everyone happy without putting anyone out.

And if anyone every wonders why it seems that the G4 are protective of amanda, that's why. There's a trust there. And once you have that, yhou don't abuse it. Cause once it's broken, it's gone.

and, imho, that trust is why they were involved in Avalon. Unlike other con companies, Gabit can balance keeping fans happy with keeping the actors happy and taking advantage of neither.

too many con companies get too caught up in the bottom line and basically work the actors' like a dog and treat the fans like cattle. Gabit takes the harder road of trying to balance the two, and that caring shows in how well received the cons were and the general air of happiness felt by all parties.

Thus ends my soliquily

.... And a beautiful one, SkyDiver.... I couldn't agree more. Although I was not present at AT2, Avalon was so well organized it was truly amazing. Each person got his/her moment with them. Yes it was too short, but this really couldn't be otherwise.
                  Sig pic courtesy of AmberMoon
                  ............oo0oo............

Comment

Kind of OT-but just so we know we're totally not the only obsessive ones...

In spoilers for the OTness.

Spoiler:
                    Friday we had a luncheon at work-part of a fundraiser, sponsered by Carrabas. They made us a very nice lunch too. Carrabas does a lot of donating to my agency. So go them.

Anyway-the MC of the event was a local newscaster. Shaniqua Strafford, I think was her name. I'm so not into the news, and never remember newscasters names-they're pretty interchangable to me.

But Melanie, one of the other managers in my department IS. She's from Cleveland-they're weird there. Apparantly newcasters are all local heroes or something. She got so excited when she saw Shaniqua that she was giddy like a school girl. All through lunch she told us of Shaniqua's career here, when she'd been on the AM news, when she'd got the anchor spot on the 6:00 news. What stories she'd covered. After the lunch we encouraged her to go up and introduce herself, and get her picture on her phone, with the woman. (Because none of us had a camera.)

When she saw the picture she jumped up and down and clapped her hands like a little girl. Then she flushed, embarrased, and was sure we'd all think she was a big dork.

LOL! As if. Given how I jumped up and down and clap my hands at the mere mention of seeing AT on tv or something-I highly doubt I'd think Melanie's hero-worship of the newscaster woman was dorky!

Comment

everyone has thier own heroes.

I know i tend to be rather blase about stuff sometimes because at work, i tend to brush shoulders with soem pretty heady folks and, well they're just people.

doesn't stop me from grinning widely remembering that rick was ....... that close and that i got to interview a person that i greatly respect.

no one should ever feel ashamed or silly about who thier hero is. enjoy it and have some fun
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

everyone has thier own heroes.

I know i tend to be rather blase about stuff sometimes because at work, i tend to brush shoulders with soem pretty heady folks and, well they're just people.

doesn't stop me from grinning widely remembering that rick was ....... that close and that i got to interview a person that i greatly respect.

no one should ever feel ashamed or silly about who thier hero is. enjoy it and have some fun
                        I've just written my xmas cards, including ones to a T.Pratchett, D.Duane, N.Gaiman, C.Claremont and D.Wynn Jones but I still went weak at the knees when Beau Bridges came by our table at Vancouver.

I know loads of authors, you get over the *famous* thing very quick (by the end of the first pint, in my experience) but we all have ones which make us flutter, I still become incoherent in the presence of Alan Garner, a childrens author I adored as a kid.

Non of the other actors in Vancouver made me flutter like Beau, I think it was the weight of all that Hollywood Royalty in his past which did it.

Even heros have heros, I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when Amanda met Dawn French.

FF
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                          I've just written my xmas cards, including ones to a T.Pratchett, D.Duane, N.Gaiman, C.Claremont and D.Wynn Jones but I still went weak at the knees when Beau Bridges came by our table at Vancouver.

I know loads of authors, you get over the *famous* thing very quick (by the end of the first pint, in my experience) but we all have ones which make us flutter, I still become incoherent in the presence of Alan Garner, a childrens author I adored as a kid.

Non of the other actors in Vancouver made me flutter like Beau, I think it was the weight of all that Hollywood Royalty in his past which did it.

Even heros have heros, I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when Amanda met Dawn French.

FF
                          Your so right, when I met Amanda at AT2 I was like dear in the headlights of a car, I couldn't even cry I was completely awe struck. I had so many things I wanted to say to her, but my brain had gone to mush LOL. All I could think was, thats Amanda Tapping, Amanda Tapping OMG OMG. So if your reading this Amanda, I'm sorry I didn't say more to you.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                            Your so right, when I met Amanda at AT2 I was like dear in the headlights of a car, I couldn't even cry I was completely awe struck. I had so many things I wanted to say to her, but my brain had gone to mush LOL. All I could think was, thats Amanda Tapping, Amanda Tapping OMG OMG. So if your reading this Amanda, I'm sorry I didn't say more to you.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            I'd love to get the chance to go to mush and stutter incoherently . Maybe one day I'll get to meet her. After all the great things I've heard, I can't help but want to meet such a wonderful person.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
                              I'd love to get the chance to go to mush and stutter incoherently . Maybe one day I'll get to meet her. After all the great things I've heard, I can't help but want to meet such a wonderful person.
                              Amanda's the most amazingly kind, funny generus and humble person I've ever met.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
                                I haven't been able to keep up with this thread, just with my ship thread(sorry, I have to know everything about the ship ).
                                What ship? (ducking!!)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X