Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
    Yes ma'am! Can you stomp your feet, too? I think we need a group of good feet-stompers.
    I can! Though probably not in time with either the bubble popping. There are limits to my talent.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      I think you'll need to buy a few lottery tickets Chelle!!
      I just did a few quick sums and came up with $AU5,000 for me to do the trip then I need to allow for inflation, Oy!!

*wanders off wondering how much I can get for my coin collection*
      Yeah well...I got the lottery tickets on every week but hubby and I are having quite a difference of opinion at the moment...we had a huge barny over it...needless to say it's a sore topic around here...but I'm not out just yet...D'oH!!
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
        Fic Rec: It's the Little Things, by Julie Fortune. It's gen, Sam Whump. A bit of violence and the other likes you'd find in a whump fic, so its not for the kiddies
        thanks AD...will bookmark it for now...I'm too fried to do much at the moment!
        Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
        Well, $1-2,000 times 4 family members doesn't look so good. Maybe we should take the twins to a stateside convention with Amanda this year and postpone our 10th anniversary trip until AT3....yeah, a trip for two is much more feasible. Chelle, if you get a good amount for hubby on E-bay then we'll finally get to meet face to face. Eve, do I need to talk to your parents for you? Wow, I want to meet all of you!
        Well...after the big blow up yesterday...it's a bit hard to discuss it rationally with hubs...but I so want to meet everyone too...I think that would be the highlight of the entire trip for me...and I have told hubs that...it's not all about Amanda...well...it's a huge part...but I really would love to meet some Samandans...here's hoping my numbers come up...and if they do...AD is coming with me...even if I have to drag him!!
        Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
        Hi all. I mainly want to say - I LOVE THIS THREAD. I wish I had hours and hours (and days and weeks) to read every single post here because there's so much great stuff.
        --I really want to see more Sam/Vala interaction. They are such interesting characters - so very different. (Yeah, I daydream about a body-switching episode between Sam and Vala. So sue me. )
        Hey meredith...welcome back to the thread!!! More Sam/Vala....yeah...I could see that...body switching...hmmm...not so much for me but I'm sure there's a few out there that feel different!
        Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
        Well, you have to break it down....
        Tickets are about £120ish ($200)
        Accommodation is £40 per night if you are sharing ($80 per night)
        Return flights are going to be $500 at least.
        So it does add up. Plus you need money to spend and money for food when you're over here.
        However. You break the cost up. You don't need to book your flights the minute you buy your ticket, you can spread it over a few months.
        And it is 100% worth it. Forget Amanda for a second. The Gateworlders, the people from the Gabit boards, all Amanda's fans, the hearing dogs, not to mention the G4....
        It would be worth it for them alone.
        Then you get Amanda as well.
        It'll cost about $2000 just to fly there from here...then you have to add everything else...so we're probably looking at around $5-6ooo....d'oH!
        Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        Okay, who spike CG's wine
        LOL, great post CG
        LOL...yeah...I had to laugh at that one too!!
        Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        yes, amanda said to still send stuff to bridge. especially since she'll be there for atlantis eps and the movies

Amanda Tapping
        c/o Bridge Studios
        2400 Boundary Road
        Burnaby, BC, Canada
        V5M 3Z3

*and i think it's spooky that i have it memorized
        LOL...spooky...is that what they call it nowadays!!
        Also, picked up the Atlantis season 2 boxset today. Amanda does commentary for Grace Under Pressure with Martin Gero, Martin Wood and David Hewlett:

Spoiler:
        Couple of things she mentioned, she was very nervous doing that episode because it was the first time she'd been on the Atlantis set, working with the Atlantis crew, working with Martin Wood and David Hewlett again and she was still settling into the rythym with her baby so she wanted to make a good impression.

The scene where the top comes off, the first thing Amanda says is 'I look like a woman who's just had a baby' to which the Martins insist she looks stunning and David quips 'I have no idea what that looks like'. Martin Gero then says how he got all sorts of letters thanking him for that scene
        They originally had this wet-suit kinda thing that she was gonna wear for that scene, but it didn't work underwater so Amanda mentions how she just happened to pick up the blue bra from the clean laundry pile that morning. Then she mentions how her husband looks much better in it that she does o.O lol

There was also a scene that got cut where Amanda speaks whale They hear the whale making sounds outside, and Sam was meant to say 'I speak whale' and then say a few lines in a 'whale' voice while McKay/Hewlett is looking at her with a 'wtf...' look. Amanda did a very funny voice for it, but it had to be cut for time.

Also, the featurette 'Martin Gero: Road to a Dream' is extremely funny. It's Gero talking about how he is following his lifelong dream of being an actor by playing Beckett's handsome brother
        Cool...can't wait to get my copy next week!!
        Originally posted by NZBG View Post
        Like Ellen Degeneres on Finding Nemo! So funny, I can imagine Amanda doing that really well!
        Funny...that was my first thought when I read it too!!
        Tough choice :O They both have their benefits. And I will ask for pics either way, so...
        LOL...you cheeky bugger you...LOL!!

Night all...gotta go...take care everyone, be safe and be happy!!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Oh my God....

Sky...everyone...

I just got the package from Sky with the picture and the card. Oh God you guys-you have no idea what that meant to me. I am going to cry any second now. I'm going to frame the picture AND the card and hang them up in my computer room.

I had been having such a tough day today-a lot of pain and feeling down and like...just bad. And now I feel like fighting again. I feel stronger knowing that I've got all of you pulling for me.

I don't think I could ever properly thank you all enough. I wouldn't even know how to start.

My mother was here helping me get my christmas tree upstairs when the package arrived. She saw the message on the picture and card and has decided she's going to have to start watching SG1 now. She sends her thanks as well.

I love you all.

Denise

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
            Oh my God....

Sky...everyone...

I just got the package from Sky with the picture and the card. Oh God you guys-you have no idea what that meant to me. I am going to cry any second now. I'm going to frame the picture AND the card and hang them up in my computer room.

I had been having such a tough day today-a lot of pain and feeling down and like...just bad. And now I feel like fighting again. I feel stronger knowing that I've got all of you pulling for me.

I don't think I could ever properly thank you all enough. I wouldn't even know how to start.

My mother was here helping me get my christmas tree upstairs when the package arrived. She saw the message on the picture and card and has decided she's going to have to start watching SG1 now. She sends her thanks as well.

I love you all.

Denise
            I hardly know people on this thread, but, I knew I liked it! Yay for kindness and encouragement!

(((Denise)))
            Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
            Quint Studer

Comment

Here's a bit of interesting news concerning woman in war and in the midst of battle!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061202/...women_in_war_1

Comment

Oh my God....

Sky...everyone...

I love you all.

Denise
                Oh Deej that's wonderful!!! Isn't it a great feeling to know there are folks out there that care, even if you've never met them in person.
                I'm glad this lifted your spirits My thoughts and prayers are still with you
                ((((((((DEEJAY)))))))

Poz

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                  [COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Once again, I had the good fortune to share another girls’ night out with Stargate’s two leading ladies. They continue to bare it all while sharing more of their experiences. Diane Sawyer, eat your heart out as Jester proudly presents …

[CENTER]The Hot Tub Dialogues – Take Three
                  ROTFL! You had me with the photo & then the dialogue! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything. Unfortunately the jello is sold out at the moment.
                  So I can only send you

Comment

{{{ Deejay }}}

So glad to hear the package arrived safely! Sky's amazing. We were all thinking of you during AT2, and Sky offered to be the "courier" for everyone. Big hugs, I know, from us all!! ((stay strong))

Love,
                    geek

Oh my God....

Sky...everyone...

I love you all.

Denise
                    Last edited by minigeek; 02 December 2006, 10:59 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                      Here's a bit of interesting news concerning woman in war and in the midst of battle!

Interesting article. I remember seeing Maj. Tammy Duckworth interviewed. Amazing presence of mind. And I loved the "ovaries of brass" comment."

Comment

Oh my God....

Sky...everyone...

I love you all.

Denise

You're a champ Deejay, keep on fighting
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post

Wow, great link, I'm floored.

I have to confess, I'm a coward, if someone shot at me, I fear I would set a new land speed record getting out of there. Of course, if someone endangered my daughter.... What brave women.

Female courage has many forms - third world mothers defending and providing for their children in horrific conditions, countless other female acts of courage. Now I have one more set of women I am impressed by.

Interesting points in the article as well.

If a woman wants a particular job, she should have the job if she is qualified - i.e. the supply command position on the front lines. Why do chromosomes even weigh in on the decision? (besides regulations regarding women on front lines)

Do you agree with the statement that women in front line combat units would alter unit dynamics? Altering unit dynamics in what sense? Altering a teams' dynamic is not necessarily bad - I think I read somewhere here in GW, perhaps this thread (?) that military units are more successful if they assume a family dynamic - and this goes for all male or male/ female units. I am completely sheltered and know nothing about the military, but I didn't realize women were forbidden front line positions... why? I'm not saying I would want a front line position, but if a female soldier wants it, why is it forbidden?

Since I work in a male dominated field (fun and frustrating), I sometimes feel the same as some of the female soldiers - they work harder to simply establish credibility. This is why I like the character of Sam - for the most part, she is written and acted without worrying about male/ female roles - if Sam is right for the job, she does it, if Daniel is right for the job, he does it, etc... Sam's qualifications make her an equal part of the team.

Thanks again for interesting article.
                          Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                          Quint Studer

Comment

{{{{Deejay}}}}

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                              Do you agree with the statement that women in front line combat units would alter unit dynamics?
                              i didn't read the article, but i'm reminded of the line from a fic.

disallowing women in combat isn't as much a fear of the woman's inability to do her job, but of the males inability to treat her as 'one of the guys'

and i don't mean harrassing/discriminating against her. what i mean is the typical male protectiveness coming forth.

would the males in the unit, under fire, be able to treat her as one of them, or would her gender make them take extra care of her, pay extra attention to her (and i'm not meaning sexually) possibly to the detriment of the others

I"m not arguing one way or the other, just remarking on a line in a fic and how it pertains to this issue
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Deejay, I said it to you personally, but I'll say it again, cos I'm sure others will agree on this one. You are a strong, courageous, warm-hearted, compassionate, funny and amazing woman. You might have felt this morning like giving up because the world was crashing down, but you never would because you're too strong for that. Your smile and real love for other human beings is just inspirational and great. I'm so glad you loved the card and, as I said earlier, I'm so glad it came on a day you needed it. God is good like that.

Awesome.
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X