Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    i've made a decision about sam being on atlantis next season.... after reading the 'tapping gates to atlantis for season four' thread, i've decided to NOT participate in atlantis fandom.

so when amanda/sam is in an ep of that show, i'll talk about it here, OR i'll start a new thread for ppl that are new to the show like me.

now, i doubt i'll actually watch the show when amanda's not in it (don't want another 'relationship' with the ppl making it), but i'll have to know something of what's going on to be able to understand sam's time on it. but i don't *want* to be in partnership (viewer wise) with these ptb anymore.

some of the ppl on the 'tapping gates... ' thread... [mod snip]
    sally
    I hear you sal and this is so sad because once you have met Amanda you could not possibly entertain any bad feelings for the woman. She is kind and gracious and goes out of her way to make others feel good. What's not to love? She's worked darn hard to develop one of the best female sci-fi characters ever. Her Achilles heel is being so invested in people and in her work.

It can't be easy reading the negative rants and that's why I'm so glad that GABIT has given Amanda two years of contact with the fans who are on her side. I hope Julia (G4) posts her closing speech online because it reminded AT to remember the good and find the threads and fans which support and love her rather than dwell on the destructive vibes elsewhere.

[mod snip]

Amanda, if you're reading this ... please follow Julia's advice and be gentle with yourself. All you have to do is remember the events in London and look at some of your gifts, especially minigeek's poster of over 200 signatures from around the world. You are loved and admired.
    Last edited by Madeleine; 28 December 2006, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
      I hear you sal and this is so sad because once you have met Amanda you could not possibly entertain any bad feelings for the woman. She is kind and gracious and goes out of her way to make others feel good. What's not to love? She's worked darn hard to develop one of the best female sci-fi characters ever. Her Achilles heel is being so invested in people and in her work.

It can't be easy reading the negative rants and that's why I'm so glad that GABIT has given Amanda two years of contact with the fans who are on her side. I hope Julia (G4) posts her closing speech online because it reminded AT to remember the good and find the threads and fans which support and love her rather than dwell on the destructive vibes elsewhere.

[mod snip]

Amanda, if you're reading this ... please follow Julia's advice and be gentle with yourself. All you have to do is remember the events in London and look at some of your gifts, especially minigeek's poster of over 200 signatures from around the world. You are loved and admired.
      Was she asked about our thread or say anything about it ?

Enquiring minds want to know
      Last edited by Madeleine; 28 December 2006, 09:08 PM.
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Avalon tidbit!!

I just spoke very very shortly with Trupi and Lady Jeep. Lady Jeep had her session this am and said that RDA was very nice and very nervous.
        That's it folks! The rest was, I was sleeping! I said, "you said you were going to call me at 9 my time and you were a half an hour late so I thought I'd call you thinking you may be partying." It was after 2:35 am and I got my lines crossed as to when to call and I woke her up DoH! More news after she calls me back tomorrow. No worries, we're good friends LOL!

Comment

I think AT on Atlantis could be good for the other characters. The writers could be forced to actually write for them too for a change. ( I can dream, can't I?)
          If we were getting episodes of the caliber of say, season 4, I would have confidence in Sam making a contribution to Atlantis in a way that made sense. Not so sure based on what we've seen lately that they won't fall back on the old Sam-Rodney thing, which can get old.
          Regardless, I support AT and I know she will be the professional she always is and will bring something good to whatever they hand her. No knock on CJ or MS, but I do think they must know she elevates their material and feel glad to get her. I do hope they won't take advantage of the contract in such a way that she can't do other projects.

Comment

[mod snip]

My perception of the Tapping Gates to Atlantis thread and the Atlantis fans that are posting in it is that most, if not all, these Atlantis fans are not saying one negative word about Amanda. They are differentiating between Amanda and Sam. In fact, it seems that a certain number are taking great care to say that they like AT and Sam. Some are discussing why they think Sam, or any other SG-1 character for that matter, may affect the dynamics of an already long list of underdeveloped characters in SGA. Sam is a very well developed character that has been around now for 10 years. I can really understand their concerns about how she could overshadow the other characters---plus I can see why they want their own characters developed much more than they have been thus far. I think one of the major weaknesses of SGA is weak characterization (comparing SGA to the early seasons of SG-1), and it is only slowly getting better in season 3, IMO.

Given that I am really only watching SG-1 because of Sam these days, and also catch most of the SGA episodes, but don't feel thrilled about SGA--I want to see Sam occasionally on SGA if she is used well in the storylines. I'm biased toward seeing Sam.

My point here is that most fans that are posting here at GW are not disrespectful toward AT at all. They are, however, feeling protective about SGA, given all the changes that may be happening to the show. I don't have a problem with the crossovers---to me they can make a lot of sense, but I do understand those SGA fans who have reservations about it. My guess is that Amanda could already anticipate that some Atlantis fans would have this reservation too. I think that is why she carefully worded her statement posted on GW front page. She also seems to be saying that it won't be just McKay and Sam (at least if she could have any control over it).
            Last edited by Madeleine; 28 December 2006, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
              My perception of the Tapping Gates to Atlantis thread and the Atlantis fans that are posting in it is that most, if not all, these Atlantis fans are not saying one negative word about Amanda. They are differentiating between Amanda and Sam. In fact, it seems that a certain number are taking great care to say that they like AT and Sam. Some are discussing why they think Sam, or any other SG-1 character for that matter, may affect the dynamics of an already long list of underdeveloped characters in SGA. Sam is a very well developed character that has been around now for 10 years. I can really understand their concerns about how she could overshadow the other characters---plus I can see why they want their own characters developed much more than they have been thus far. I think one of the major weaknesses of SGA is weak characterization (comparing SGA to the early seasons of SG-1), and it is only slowly getting better in season 3, IMO.

Given that I am really only watching SG-1 because of Sam these days, and also catch most of the SGA episodes, but don't feel thrilled about SGA--I want to see Sam occasionally on SGA if she is used well in the storylines. I'm biased toward seeing Sam.

My point here is that most fans that are posting here at GW are not disrespectful toward AT at all. They are, however, feeling protective about SGA, given all the changes that may be happening to the show. I don't have a problem with the crossovers---to me they can make a lot of sense, but I do understand those SGA fans who have reservations about it. My guess is that Amanda could already anticipate that some Atlantis fans would have this reservation too. I think that is why she carefully worded her statement posted on GW front page. She also seems to be saying that it won't be just McKay and Sam (at least if she could have any control over it).
              Thanks, chocdoc. Since I'm not visiting other threads, this is good to know. Amanda knows that the insertion of Sam Carter can become a problem if it's not handled with care and respect for the SA ensemble. The writers and PTB are the ones who will make or break the show's Season 4. Everyone is holding their breaths on the outcome considering some of the most recent history from S9-10 for Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                Avalon tidbit!!

I just spoke very very shortly with Trupi and Lady Jeep. Lady Jeep had her session this am and said that RDA was very nice and very nervous.

That's it folks!
                After seeing RDA onstage recently with Amanda for the Vancouver FMA awards, it struck me at how shy and uncomfortable he seemed in the spotlight. In many ways, she was carrying the show. So I thought he might be feeling nervous at Avalon and it sounds like that has happened. Amanda is probably leading him through the paces since he's a "con virgin".

Can't wait to hear more feedback - when everyone is fully awake! Thanks, Poz!

Comment

I think it's really cool that he has that support.
                  Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

I picked up issue #343 of Starburst Magazine today (newest one available in the US) - there is an article with N John Smith, exec. producer of Stargate in the magazine. I did scan one of the pictures from the article which combines the cast of SG-1 and Atlantis

Here is a spoiler for the final episode of SG-1 this season
                    Spoiler:
                    Robert Cooper has written and is also directing the last SG-1 script and it's a cool story. I can't tell you to much about it other than we travel into the future and then back again into the past. Probably the biggest challenge for us is putting the regular cast in period make-up. First we age their characters 20 years and then 40 years. It's very interesting to look in Photoshop and see that 40-year transition. It's going to be quite an eye-opener for the fans."

He also said that Brad Wright and Robert Cooper will most likely be doing the SG-1 movies which would probably leave Paul Mullie and Joe Mallozzi as the show runners for Atlantis next season.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

[mod snip]

I'll add my voice, if i may, Amanda you also have many fans that are not online, can never meet you and give you a hug, but can send you letters to tell you how they feel and these fans are all over the world, you are indeed a much loved human being and a very talented actress! ((((((((Amanda))))))))
                      Last edited by Madeleine; 28 December 2006, 09:10 PM.
                      ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        i've made a decision about sam being on atlantis next season.... after reading the 'tapping gates to atlantis for season four' thread, i've decided to NOT participate in atlantis fandom.

so when amanda/sam is in an ep of that show, i'll talk about it here, OR i'll start a new thread for ppl that are new to the show like me.

now, i doubt i'll actually watch the show when amanda's not in it (don't want another 'relationship' with the ppl making it), but i'll have to know something of what's going on to be able to understand sam's time on it. but i don't *want* to be in partnership (viewer wise) with these ptb anymore.

some of the ppl on the 'tapping gates... ' thread[mod snip]

sally
                        I like SGA. I like the current cast and I think they are beginning to gel well together (it took awhile), but I don't think they have quite found that thing that makes them must see t.v. The constant stream of changes in cast members points to that as well.
                        Spoiler:

Season 2--Bye Bye Ford. Hello Ronin. Carson gets a place in the credits.
                        Season 3--Bye Bye Carson at the end.
                        Seaon 4--New doctor? and the addition of the lovely Amanda Tapping guest starring as Sam Carter.
                        Fans of the show are frustrated, and I get that. I'm a little frustrated by some of the changes, too. Unfortunately, I'm afraid Amanda is going to take the brunt of it. This is the only reason I don't want Sam on SGA full time. (Yes, only reason. I'm not worried about my ship being affected by Sam in another galazy. Love is stronger than that. Cue gag from nonshippers.) I hate having to defend Amanda/Sam for things that are not her fault, because I know she reads that crap and it hurts her. She has enough trouble believing she is incredible as it is. She is the only person from SG1 (exception of RDA) who could be a real ratings grabber for SGA, and they need it. Sam is Stargate and more Sam means more ratings (ie. the lack of Sam in 9 and 10. 10 being better, but still no Sam ep in over 2 years. Please!)
                        Last edited by Madeleine; 28 December 2006, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                          I picked up issue #343 of Starburst Magazine today (newest one available in the US) - there is an article with N John Smith, exec. producer of Stargate in the magazine. I did scan one of the pictures from the article which combines the cast of SG-1 and Atlantis

Here is a spoiler for the final episode of SG-1 this season
                          Spoiler:
                          Robert Cooper has written and is also directing the last SG-1 script and it's a cool story. I can't tell you to much about it other than we travel into the future and then back again into the past. Probably the biggest challenge for us is putting the regular cast in period make-up. First we age their characters 20 years and then 40 years. It's very interesting to look in Photoshop and see that 40-year transition. It's going to be quite an eye-opener for the fans."

He also said that Brad Wright and Robert Cooper will most likely be doing the SG-1 movies which would probably leave Paul Mullie and Joe Mallozzi as the show runners for Atlantis next season.
                          Thanks for that juicy bit of info, tsax! That'll definitely be interesting to see.

Not so cool? As golfbooy and others said, that leaves Mullie and Mallozzi in charge of the ship, as it were. Whoooot.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                            Well, um, you see, Amanda is very lovely, inside and out, and she's talented at so many things. Gifted at others, truly blessed some might say. Can she sing? Hey! Look over there! Is that a green punch buggy!??!?!

(Scaripoppins' accent): Wot? It was a valid diversion!

mg
                            Ah, I thought Amanda sang quite well. Will she get a recording contract or do a musical anytime soon? Probably not. But I didn't find her singing to be any worse than at the average person, and I'm sure little Olivia loves to hear her mommy sing to her no matter what she sounds like, which is all that truly matters.

ETA: Avalon is over and I'm ready to go home. I miss my kids, my dog and my own bed. Here's hoping that today's event goes much smoother than it did yesterday for Rick, Amanda and the gals at G4 and they actually have time to breathe and enjoy the moment a little. Thanks for everything.

As for pictures, I wish I could post them, but sadly we're not allowed. We've been asked not to post them on the internet, though I'm sure there are many who will. However we can share them amongst our friends, so if you're ever in Dallas...
                            Oh, and the autographed picture we recieved of Amanda and Rick was ...'Wow'.
                            It's definitely something I'll treasure forever.

Kat
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 24 November 2006, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                              Ah, I thought Amanda sang quite well. Will she get a recording contract or do a musical anytime soon? Probably not. But I didn't find her singing to be any worse than at the average person, and I'm sure little Olivia loves to hear her mommy sing to her no matter what she sounds like, which is all that truly matters.

ETA: Avalon is over and I'm ready to go home. I miss my kids, my dog and my own bed. Here's hoping that today's event goes much smoother than it did yesterday for Rick, Amanda and the gals at G4 and they actually have time to breathe and enjoy the moment a little. Thanks for everything.

As for pictures, I wish I could post them, but sadly we're not allowed. We've been asked not to post them on the internet, though I'm sure there are many who will. However we can share them amongst our friends, so if you're ever in Dallas...

Kat
                              Wow Kat, you lucky 2 time con-goer
                              oh and don't be surprised when I come down and knock on your door
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post

Kat
                                That's fantastic, Kat. I'm glad you had a wonderful time! My session was going to have been Friday AM, too and I'm still so sad I couldn't make it down. **sigh** Ah well, that as they say, is life. Hope you have a safe flight home!

Hugs((()))
                                mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X