Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
    NO! But I would have paid dearly to see it.

Personally, I would have doubled the amount I donated to hear Amanda sing if we could have seen her dance like Elaine on Seinfeld. That completely spastic dance makes me chuckle every time I see it. Now, I'm just guessing that Amanda can dance like that, but she's so naturally funny that I think she would be wonderful in a truly comedic role or doing something absolutely zanny like that. I know, I have a sick and twisted mind, but I still think it would have been amusing.
    Oh man... Can you imagine?

I know Kat and I talked about this already, but I'm still laughing at the image. It would've been sooooo worth the price of admission and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
      And what she said!

OK, this is one of the best explanations of the issue that I've seen, so I had to quote the whole thing... Basically, the woman can't get a break from either side of the spectrum. Either she makes a pro-ship statement, and gets flack for it from the anti-Sam contingent, or she makes a decidedly "anti"-ship statement, and gets flack from the shippers. There's no way for her to state her position without wigging one side out.

It's like people don't want her to be honest, or even to say anything at all, if it means that she's going to say something that goes against their opinions or preferences.
      Hey, I'm an anti-shipper I would *never* give AT flak. (You didn't mean me, I'm sure. ) I just think it's interesting to get her take on the character that she has made come to life. Though I am glad ship didn't become an issue at GABIT.

Lots of good posts that I can't rep. Dang green jello fridge needs restocking.

Love ScariPoppins.

minigeek deserves some royal beans for the poster.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the US people. Happy Thursday to everyone else (?)

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        Hey, I'm an anti-shipper I would *never* give AT flak. (You didn't mean me, I'm sure. ) I just think it's interesting to get her take on the character that she has made come to life. Though I am glad ship didn't become an issue at GABIT.
        No, I didn't mean you. You're cool, jckfan!

Love ScariPoppins.
        ScariPoppins?! *dies* That is so awesome.

I'm really interested to see how the US GABIT/Avalon attendees will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, and if they'll be doing it together!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

Lots of good posts that I can't rep. Dang green jello fridge needs restocking.

Love ScariPoppins.

minigeek deserves some royal beans for the poster.

Oooh that reminds me. I need Scaripoppins email address so that I can woo her over to the dark side. Muhahahaha. Where is that woman anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
            OH MAN!

Someone has to ask her at Avalon what this was about:

!!!
            Can someone explain the picture to me. I'm afraid all I see is a retro type picture of Daniel in the far left side. Does the pic animate? If so can someone please explain what's happening to the poor dial-up girl.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              ses, can we talk about this stuff on the shipper thread? please. i'm begging you.

you know what's funny? i'm too shippy for the sam thread, and too sam-centric for the shipper thread. *whimpers*

sally
              That's alright, Sally. I try to stay clear from saying something too shippy here, but in the shipper thread, I don't mind if people want to be Sam-centric or Jack-centric as the shipper thread is about them as well.

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
              One of the OH so many things I appreciate about Amanda is her absolute honesty. She tells you like it is...how she feels about what they're doing with her character...whether or not she likes or approves of it, etc. I agree with her feelings sometimes and other times I disagree.

For instance, I agree with her stance that the kiss with Pete was inappropriate at the scene of the incident. Sam would not have done that. Not the kiss of course...but the timing of it.

I disagree that Sam and Jack should take a roll in the hay to get it out of their system. I think the story arc and the characters deserve a bit more respect than that kind of brush off.

I agree that the command issue was handled poorly and that Sam should be the leader.

I disagree with her assertion that Sam was the one calling out to Jack in In the Line of Duty. I think the "What will it take?" comment indicates to me that it was Jolinar desperately trying to get Jack to help her out but was unaware that Sam wouldn't address Jack by his first name like that. I think Sam fought Jolinar and prevented her from learning all that much...otherwise, she would have known she could trust Sam's teammates.

Did the world come to an end because I don't agree with Amanda about everything Sam says or does? Of course not. She's allowed her opinions as I'm allowed mine.

I am of course right and she's wrong...but that's a different matter altogether.

*ducks flying tomatoes*
              I like your post. I have to agree with most of it. As for the Jolinar thing, I'm still undecided if it was Sam or Jolinar, but I've always leaned closer to Jolinar then Sam.

Comment

NO! But I would have paid dearly to see it.

Personally, I would have doubled the amount I donated to hear Amanda sing if we could have seen her dance like Elaine on Seinfeld. That completely spastic dance makes me chuckle every time I see it. Now, I'm just guessing that Amanda can dance like that, but she's so naturally funny that I think she would be wonderful in a truly comedic role or doing something absolutely zanny like that. I know, I have a sick and twisted mind, but I still think it would have been amusing.
                LOL, I think the closest we got to the "Elaine dance" was Amanda demonstrating how she landed with her parachute and what happened next ... she loves Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett and you can tell that taking pratfalls would be right in her ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasusc View Post
                  ... As for the Jolinar thing, I'm still undecided if it was Sam or Jolinar, but I've always leaned closer to Jolinar then Sam.
                  For me it has to be Jolinar ... just watching her face change as Jack leaves the room, the mask comes back on and Jolinar has regained steely control. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                    Exactly. This is why my biggest hope would be just some sort of proof that they are together as a couple and have been since the end of season 8. Period. I don't even need a BHK. This proves that Sam, even Sam who has a personal life and a significant other, can still kick ass since she's been doing so for two years. This would, IMHO, make her a stronger character since, lets face it, most women have some sort of personal life, and many of us manage to balance husbands and kids and careers. I think Sam could, too. I like to think that she has a personal life outside of the SGC in S9 and S10 involving Jack and Cassie and it hasn't interfered adversely with her work. It's not *who she is* anymore than anyone else's relationships define them. I agree making a wedding a huge thing might do this, and some shippers want this, but a lot of us just want subtle acknowledgement that they are together. Otherwise, lets face it, Jack leaving after Threads makes him out to be a bit of a cad....
                    I've been away all day and the thread is marching on ... so gonna jump in here even though this may have already been said (if so, sorry) ...

Spoiler:
                    Amanda interprets the "not exactly" line in S9 (which she spoke to Barrett when he was hitting on her) as Sam saying that she is not involved with anyone, that she has put herself in downtime (understandable after the breakup with Pete and death of her dad) just so that she can try to sort out her feelings for Jack and process where she's been and where she may be going. She needs an emotional time out.

I thought that was an interesting perspective from her as the actress creating her own backstory. I never thought of that option. It does make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                      For me it has to be Jolinar ... just watching her face change as Jack leaves the room, the mask comes back on and Jolinar has regained steely control. IMHO.
                      Excellent point, ChopinGal. I've gotta admit though, that I always thought that it was really Sam.

It made sense to me that Sam was screaming for control of her body from the moment Jolinar took over, trying to get anyone's attention at all costs. She would've been fighting Jolinar every time she spoke to the guys, and there's something about that raw desperation that I don't think can be faked. I figured she had a lid on Sam the whole time, and chose that moment to let her out, just to see if Jack would listen. When he didn't, she politely regained control again.

I agree with the issue of "Colonel" vs. "Jack," though. Maybe she really was that desperate?

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular View Post

NC
                        Aaw, Poz hope you're having a piece of NC's delicious birthday cake by now!!

Felicitations and all that jazz!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                          Excellent point, ChopinGal. I've gotta admit though, that I always thought that it was really Sam.

It made sense to me that Sam was screaming for control of her body from the moment Jolinar took over, trying to get anyone's attention at all costs. She would've been fighting Jolinar every time she spoke to the guys, and there's something about that raw desperation that I don't think can be faked. I figured she had a lid on Sam the whole time, and chose that moment to let her out, just to see if Jack would listen. When he didn't, she politely regained control again.

I agree with the issue of "Colonel" vs. "Jack," though. Maybe she really was that desperate?
                          I think Sam did get out and desperately shouted "Jack, don't leave me" for sure but then Jolinar saw that he wouldn't even let himself be moved by this plea and she resumed control and wondered "what will it take" to convince the humans to allow her through the Gate ... it's the facial change of emotion that leads me to that conclusion. If Sam were still in control, I think the look and tone of her saying "what will it take" would have been more desperate, more vulnerable.

My tuppance. Or tuppence. Or tupperware or whatever. Lordy, I went back to work today ... what a downer after such a weekend high. Miss all you guys already!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking that, by now, Amanda is really missing Olivia and home and hearth. She's a real trooper for sticking it out for the two weekends of appearances. It's a big transition for her personally as a still-new momma, first lengthy separation. She said that she was crying on the plane ride over as she thumbed through her brag book ... the steward asked what was wrong ... she ordered wine.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY TOMORROW TO THOSE WHO CELEBRATE ...

Comment

Good morning Samanda!!! Woohoo...I managed 5 hours sleep this morning...and I'm feeling buzzed and I haven't even had my coffee fix yet!
                            Anyhoo...just popping in real quick before I head off to work...so have a great day/night...wherever you may be!!
                            Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
                            I posted this on the anti-season 10 thread as well.
                            You know I am wondering if part of the problem with their writing of
                            Sam Carter is that they don't believe she is "real"
                            well let me tell you-she is very real. I know because I am raising one.
                            My daughter has been a math and science person since her father first taught her to do math in her head. She is in her senior year and applied to Tufts for their School of Engineering. She is taking Multi Variable Calculus because it is fun.
                            How many of us have daughters that are Samantha Carters?
                            I wouldn't be surprised to see high numbers. I look at the friends my daughter has in her program in the Math and Science Academy and there are lots involved in Math and or Science in a big way.
                            Maybe they need to open their eyes.
                            *raises hand*...I got a SC in the works too...Niki never really liked math much until she got this teacher that sat down and helped her...now she looks forward to math class...and she's an A grade student in her science class too...so I know how proud you must feel about your daughter pittsburgh girl...that's great that she's doing so well...kudos to you and your daughter!
                            Originally posted by KatG View Post
                            I agree. I'm a huge shipper, have been for years. But it reached the point where I just want a resolution. One way or the other. Obviously I'd prefer that somehow they be together and I don't think that it has to interfere with everything else that Sam is, but I could live with a "we tried it, it's not what we thought, let's move on and be good friends".
                            At this point, I do think there needs to be a "trial period" at least because there has been all this build up and to just pretend that it never happened would be even worse than the ambiguity we've been given.
                            I'm at that same point too...I'm not asking for some huge storyline or huge honkin deal to be made about it...but I just don't understand why the ship is such a bad idea...if handled right...discreetly...it would be beautiful...IMHO!
                            Sally, I think you and several other people are misunderstanding what Amanda is saying. In my opinion, I think Amanda does look at the Sam/Jack story as a love story. There is no doubt in my mind that she believes that the characters love one another; however, what you and others fail to see is that not all love stories were meant to have a happy ending. There are people who fall in love every day who for one reason or another, never get together. There are people who get married and love each other deeply, but can not live with one other and end up divorcing. They may continue to be best friends afterwards and continue to love one another, but they simply choose not to do it as a couple.
                            I think this is how Amanda see's Sam and Jack. She sees the bond. She recognizes that they care very deeply for one another, but she also sees the UST and in her mind they would be best to just release that tension and move on. That does not make her right or wrong, but it is her opinion and she has the right to express it as much as the next person.
                            When Amanda is asked a question regarding S/J, she is giving her opinion regarding the characters, not Sam's. In fact, at Shore Leave, LOL4Jack asked Amanda a question regarding Sam/Jack and explicitly requested the answer to be from Sam and Amanda's response was very pro Sam/Jack, but that was Amanda answering a question the way she believed Sam would answer, not how she herself would answer. Also, there were several times during Gabit's Q&A where she made comments that were very pro Sam/Jack.
                            I seem to recall someone making a comment to Amanda about Sam and under her breath Amanda said Sam was thinking about something else and then quietly muttered 'Jack'.
                            So while people may not agree with Amanda's opinions, I think we should all try to remember that while she may be an actor doing a job, she is still entitled to express her own points of view.

Kat
                            Why? Why is it so bad to have a love story that actually works...there are so many unhappy endings nowadays...but I do love what she said at Shore leave...and I absolutley respect her opinions as I do with everyone else!

Off to work I go....have a great day/night...take care and be safe everyone!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I don't know. I'm a bit torn about that scene, because I can see it both ways. I mean if you think about it, the only history they really had with a gou'ald symbiote before this was with Kawalsky, Ska'ra, Kendra and Sha're.

While I can totally see Jolinar trying to behave like Sam in order to gain Jack's sympathy , I can also see Sam screaming out for help, any help, when/if Jolinar released her from her mental prison -- even for the briefest moment. In Serpent's Grasp, Ska'ra also called out for help as soon as he was released from Klorel's control.

In which case, Jolinar may have been hoping Sam's plea would gain Jack's symphathy which would have been her reason for releasing Sam from her mental restraints in the first place as well as the sudden change in Sam's demeanor when it didn't work.

I suppose if Amanda says she was playing the scene to be Sam calling out for Jack, then that's probably the way it was written, but I can totally understand both points of view.

Comment

In the Line of Duty was my very first SG-1 episode EVER. I watched it in syndication and then started watching SG-1 on Showtime, where my first firstrun story was Upgrades. I liked Sam immediately from just those two episodes but In the Line of Duty was just the perfect episode to get started with I think because from it, so much of the series grew.

At any rate, looking back now, I am once again stunned at how brilliant Amanda was in this episode. The desperation on her face and then, like you said, the steely control. That mask that within a few seconds falls right back into position. I can look at a picture of her as Jolinar and see Jolinar. Even in a still, her expressions are so clearly identifiable. Same with Entity, Gemini and Moebius. She creates such an amazing range of personalities that are Sam...yet not Sam...and she does it seamlessly.

For me at least, I think that we're right on this and Amanda is wrong. I believe that Jolinar was desperate...with Sam fighting her on the inside and feeling like a trapped animal waiting for the Ashrak on the outside. She was desperate and used whatever she could think of to get to any one of them to help her.

With Teal'c, she appealed to his desire to find allies to fight the Goa'uld.

With Daniel, she appealed to his need to find Shau're. Did she know where Shau're was? Who knows? But she knew that it had at least the potential of making him an ally to get her out of there.

And with Jack? She appealed to his need to protect Sam. Now I'm not talking about anything shippy here...I think at this time in their knowing each other, they were simply really good friends and colleagues with deep bonds. I am however talking about his need to keep his team safe. She knew he felt guilty about not protecting Sam from being taken as a host and she played on his emotions. Then with her panicked tone begging Jack to believe her and help her...she knew that would tear at him because he wouldn't know what to do but hoped it would be enough to get him to help her.

But see, like I said before, I think Sam desperately fought Jolinar not knowing she was an ally...and Jolinar wasn't able to access all that she needed to know about the SGC. I think had she been able to, she would have trusted the others more readily and known they were friends and allies against the Goa'uld. And like I said, she also didn't fully understand the relationship between Jack and Sam and didn't consider the fact that Sam would not have addressed him by his first name like that.

That's my take on the Jolinar story. For what it's worth.

But then I could be full of bologna and completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X