Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank goodness!
    Spoiler:
    I was getting really nervous for Amanda. Plus, I'd hate for Sky to have to go mod on me for getting into a fight with an irate DH fan thinks Sam was taking McKay's place.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
      I like the Sam character for many things as well.If another Fan wants to like Sam just for the Sam/Jack Ship that is there right.The Fans can like a character for whatever reason they want.Why would it bother an Actor? The Fans help pay an Actors Salary.When you are an Actor on a TV Show or Movie you have to understand there is a good chance you will be involved in Ship and there is a good chance you will be bombared with Shippy questions from Fans and Interviewers.I'm sure there are plenty of out of work Actors would have no problem with doing Ship.
      Hmmm... Well, just signing onto a role does not mean that you're required to like what you're playing. You're contractually obligated to act out what you're given - which she's done - but nothing more.

I think that it's good that she's been honest about her feelings, because honestly, they haven't handled it well. And if she was just always talking about the positives of the show, it wouldn't exactly ring true.

Comment

ses, can we talk about this stuff on the shipper thread? please. i'm begging you.

you know what's funny? i'm too shippy for the sam thread, and too sam-centric for the shipper thread. *whimpers*

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
          Dude! Amanda is a warm, gracious, giving person that has always loved her fans no matter who they ship for Sam/Jack, Sam/Pete, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet or Sam/Thor (okay maybe not thor... ) So don't take her head off if you think she should have the same firm standing on an issue that you do. She knows the writers/ producers way better then we do. So let it rest. I'm a shipper too, but her comments don't bother me in the least. She along with rick are my two favorite characters on the show and the fact that rick has pretty much the same stance on the issue as she does. Doesn't bother me at all!

edit: dang it and I had planned to posting something different with pics and everything for my 800th post.... oh well.
          First off, happy 800th!
          Secondly, I couldn't agree more! My pet peeve at the moment is the part in bold. RDA takes the same stance as Amanda, but we never hear him blasted about it. Sorry to sound a bit sexist, but I think it is because he's the 'guy'. She has to answer all the ship questions, she gets blasted no matter how she answers them, and he gets nothing. I love them both, but I don't think that is fair.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
            Hmmm... Well, just signing onto a role does not mean that you're required to like what you're playing. You're contractually obligated to act out what you're given - which she's done - but nothing more.

I think that it's good that she's been honest about her feelings, because honestly, they haven't handled it well. And if she was just always talking about the positives of the show, it wouldn't exactly ring true.
            One of the OH so many things I appreciate about Amanda is her absolute honesty. She tells you like it is...how she feels about what they're doing with her character...whether or not she likes or approves of it, etc. I agree with her feelings sometimes and other times I disagree.

For instance, I agree with her stance that the kiss with Pete was inappropriate at the scene of the incident. Sam would not have done that. Not the kiss of course...but the timing of it.

I disagree that Sam and Jack should take a roll in the hay to get it out of their system. I think the story arc and the characters deserve a bit more respect than that kind of brush off.

I agree that the command issue was handled poorly and that Sam should be the leader.

I disagree with her assertion that Sam was the one calling out to Jack in In the Line of Duty. I think the "What will it take?" comment indicates to me that it was Jolinar desperately trying to get Jack to help her out but was unaware that Sam wouldn't address Jack by his first name like that. I think Sam fought Jolinar and prevented her from learning all that much...otherwise, she would have known she could trust Sam's teammates.

Did the world come to an end because I don't agree with Amanda about everything Sam says or does? Of course not. She's allowed her opinions as I'm allowed mine.

I am of course right and she's wrong...but that's a different matter altogether.

*ducks flying tomatoes*
            Last edited by Uber; 21 November 2006, 09:18 PM. Reason: I didn't like the word "brutal" to describe her honesty.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              ses, can we talk about this stuff on the shipper thread? please. i'm begging you.

you know what's funny? i'm too shippy for the sam thread, and too sam-centric for the shipper thread. *whimpers*

sally
              (((Sal))) Not true, you belong right here

I always enjoy reading your posts
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                First off, happy 800th!
                Secondly, I couldn't agree more! My pet peeve at the moment is the part in bold. RDA takes the same stance as Amanda, but we never hear him blasted about it. Sorry to sound a bit sexist, but I think it is because he's the 'guy'. She has to answer all the ship questions, she gets blasted no matter how she answers them, and he gets nothing. I love them both, but I don't think that is fair.

i think one of the reasons rda hasn't been asked as many ship questions is when he has been, he's been non-commital and white-washy about it. rda himself hasn't made a deal of the issue, so interviewers didn't feel it was an *issue*.

it's kind of like with me and fandom/ptb; ship didn't become an issue until i got it from others. but if i would have been the one bringing it up from the get-go, and then been asked/called on it, then *i* would have created the interest. my opinion.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                  One of the OH so many things I appreciate about Amanda is her brutal honesty. She tells you like it is...how she feels about what they're doing with her character...whether or not she likes or approves of it, etc. I agree with her feelings sometimes and other times I disagree.

(snip)

I disagree that Sam and Jack should take a roll in the hay to get it out of their system. I think the story arc and the characters deserve a bit more respect than that kind of brush off.
                  that's one of the reasons why i wanted/want someone to ask amanda (or rick too) whether she sees the sam/jack storyline as a love story. i know i do, but that's because of eps like 'point of view' and 'divide and conquer' and '100 days' and 'grace' and 'threads' and etc. i've been *given* this impression.

but i'd still be curious what amanda (and rick) think of this. there's being the actors and doing their work, and then there's being the fan and *seeing* it played through (seeing each ep in sequence through the years). i saw a gentle love story.

i have to get up at 4am, so i better go to bed.

for atlantis, though-
                  Spoiler:
                  i was kind of liking the idea of mckay not being there when sam was, but that's only because i don't want to give the writers more ammo to screw with sam.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                    OK. Until I can figure out the privacy details, what I've decided to do is post a 'smaller' version of the poster we presented to Amanda so that everyone can see generally what it looked like. It's impossible to get the impact of it no matter how large I post it as a JPG anyway I'm afraid (live, it was very large and every signature was clear - it's not the same virtually). But it'll at least give you a notion. Picture it 30 inches by 36 inches, it took two of us to hold it up (thank you Sky!! and Sky - who is the sweetest, loveliest person you could ever meet, by the way - she actually DID have to drag me out in front of Amanda by the arm! I was a real deer in headlights!)

Please also note ChopinGal's lovely poetic introduction at the top right...

Spoiler:
                    Mini, that is just...amazing!

I can't green you...but I can say yay! awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      for atlantis, though-
                      Spoiler:
                      i was kind of liking the idea of mckay not being there when sam was, but that's only because i don't want to give the writers more ammo to screw with sam.
                      Spoiler:
                      It would also mean that since the writers wouldn't be able to rely on the interaction between Sam and McKay, they would have to let her form relationships with the other characters.

They wouldn't have their safety net.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                        As much as you can make a very valid argument to bring Sam's arc to an end with the end of SG1, the reality is that AT has been signed to a contract and, at this moment, she is committed to being used by the studio in upcoming seasons of Atlantis. I think she is also concerned at how well that will be handled and what kind of scripts she will be handed.

Perhaps, in the best of all worlds, Sam Carter would walk through the gate one last time with Teal'c and Daniel and the saga would end, only to be resurrected in a movie or two.

Amanda talked about the very last day on set for S10 and said that CB and BB actually gave her and CJ and MS some private space and time to process the last filming.
                        Spoiler:
                        She said there was a lot of crying during the final take where the three of them walk on and up the ramp and through the Stargate. She was pretty much a basket case and then they were all told that the going through the Gate had to be re-shot! Finally, she and Chris and Michael wandered up the steps to the control room and spent some quiet time there looking out at the set, the huge Stargate prop and reliving how they felt the very first time they came on set ten years ago.
                        It was a nice story.
                        That was nice of CB and BB, ten years is a very long time and it must be very hard to film when they must have been sad but excited for what the future holds for each of them.
                        I have to say that this show really has touched me in a way that no other show ever has and i'm glad to have seen the story unfold over the years and now with the movies taking off in a new direction.
                        I hope Amanda gets to do this movie of hers both in front of and behind the scenes as she has huge talent.
                        ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                          One of the OH so many things I appreciate about Amanda is her absolute honesty. She tells you like it is...how she feels about what they're doing with her character...whether or not she likes or approves of it, etc. I agree with her feelings sometimes and other times I disagree.

For instance, I agree with her stance that the kiss with Pete was inappropriate at the scene of the incident. Sam would not have done that. Not the kiss of course...but the timing of it.

I agree that the command issue was handled poorly and that Sam should be the leader.

I disagree with her assertion that Sam was the one calling out to Jack in In the Line of Duty. I think the "What will it take?" comment indicates to me that it was Jolinar desperately trying to get Jack to help her out but was unaware that Sam wouldn't address Jack by his first name like that. I think Sam fought Jolinar and prevented her from learning all that much...otherwise, she would have known she could trust Sam's teammates.

Did the world come to an end because I don't agree with Amanda about everything Sam says or does? Of course not. She's allowed her opinions as I'm allowed mine.

I am of course right and she's wrong...but that's a different matter altogether.

*ducks flying tomatoes*
                          I may not always agree with you or Amanda, but tonight I agree with everything you just said. ROFL over the "I'm right and she's wrong" comment. I will stand beside you and hold the umbrella to protect us from flying tomatoes.

Comment

Lucky Canadians got The Return, 2 tonight and I'm told
                            Spoiler:
                            that Jack told them they should have brought Carter and mentioned her a second time as well. SGA does a really good job mentioning Sam and always makes her look good, so maybe Sam on Atlantis will be a very good thing.

Comment

September 15, 2002 , at Gatecon in Vancouver BC, just right at the very end of shooting on season 6: I had a chance to talk to Amanda at the con for just a little bit. And one of the things I told her was that season 4 was definitely 'my' favorite. She asked me back, "What happened in season 4?" I kinda thought to myself, 'what happened in season 4'?!? , 'everything happened in season 4 ', S/J wise. I kind of shugged it off as nothing, Keep in mind that this was 2 years afterwards. But if the deep emotions of the season 4 episodes were lost in the grind of filming or never really sunk in to Amanda's mind; then..., I can kinda see how she lost the 'romanace' in the Sam & Jack's relationship. I mean season 4 was the basis for everything S/J related, IMO. Anyways that's my take on things, I don't really know for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                                I realised that although you've all heard that Amanda has been made EP of this show, you haven't heard the full story which Amanda told our table at the cocktail party.

The background is that Amanda was asking about our charms. Mine was to do with debating because I'm the Southampton University Debating Coach and she asked for tips on debating and public speaking, then went on to explain why.

So Amanda went to this meeting for the new series and it was after a long 14 hour day filming stargate. She was the only woman in the room and the men were waffling and gossiping and getting nothing done. She said she was surprised because she thought it would be women behaving like that. She was tired and stressed, and they were getting no work done, so she kinda slammed her fist on the table and went, "Hey! Guys! I've just worked a 14 hour day, I have a baby I have to put to bed, so pull your act together and tell me the bottom line". And one of the guys she shouted at was her new boss

So when she went home, Amanda was fully expecting a phone call to tell her off for her bad attitude and ask her not to behave like that in future meetings or some such like. She got her phone call, alright. But instead of it being a telling off, she got a phone call telling her she was awesome and that they needed someone to keep the guys in line, so she was offered the exec role.

As for the debating tips, I just told her the big three:
                                • Be yourself
                                • Don't apologise for your views or stutter and mumble
                                • Have a little stage presence

And then reminded her that she naturally does all three, so she's got nothing to worry about
                                Wow Amanda got their attention all right, good for her!
                                ......TARA......

Comment

Working...
                                X