Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Oh, she got a good snarky award for that too.

In fact, EVERYONE got a season best award for this episode, I think.

Spoiler:
    Typically midseason "finales" are pretty lame. This one, despite its lack of a sense of immediacy (thanks to that decent pacing we've all been wanting for so long) managed to showcase everyone on the team, even if it wasn't extremely exciting the whole time.

It was totally worth it to see SG-1 + Ba'al + Adria, because they all gelled. And the writers/director PROVIDED that opportunity for gelling. It was cool.

I don't think they told a whole lot of STORY, but it still seemed like a lot got done because everyone was doing something. Definitely in the Top 3 eps of S10 so far in my book.
    I’m in agreement with you spaz.

Spoiler:
    It was nice to see the entire team out together having interaction. (It wasn't the greatest, but way better than before IMOHO). I think that’s what I liked the best- the entire team being present. The ep didn’t have that life/death immediacy you were talking about, but it was worth it to watch this new team configuration in action, playing off one another and finally getting closer to gelling than they ever had. Hmmmm… maybe that’s what they need/needed to do – have *all* the teammates in the same ep in every ep of the season – that way we don’t get bombarded with too much of one character or a certain pairing – everybody gets their moments to build their characters. It worked in the old days with the original cast – it appeared to work better last night.

I enjoyed the not as hyper Cam and his interactions with Sam. I liked the subtle leadership by Sam and the deference to her skill and experience that (at least from my POV) that Cam showed her. It was really nice to see an involved and alert Daniel, especially his defense of Sam when Adria threatened to kill her first just before they entered the cave. I also liked that they inserted just bits of Vala into the ep, not making it the Vala show.

And yup - *grins* Teal’c did have the greatest one-liner when he threatened Ba'al - about squishing him through the bars if he didn't help SG-1. I enjoyed Ba’al in this ep; they integrated him well enough to add a bit more spice to the overall show. And liked the Ba'al and Adria interaction - two powerless, but extremely arrogant, aliens eyeing and sizing each other up. And Sam’s muttering "Go get a room!" at them. I even liked the lighting and the shots of most scenes involving the team in this ep, more than other eps. Overall I liked it. Too bad these dynamics couldn’t be fleshed out for longer than the remaining 10 final series eps.

And that *coughs* dragon. Ahhhh… okay. Sure. Big threat.

*grins* I fell asleep into the first half of Atlantis, but yes... it was interesting to see Linea return..... the lastest in Vancouver actor recycling....
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

$hit!
      spoiler tags!!!!

most of you have been good, but... nnnnnnnnnngggg!
      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
        Spoiler:
        You are right about that, Kat. Hmmm....is it on purpose or not? Maybe he feels so uncomfortable in those dress blues that he would like to retire. Hmmm.....
        Spoiler:
        I think it's on purpose. Jack has told Sam that he abhors wearing the dress blues and prefers wearing the BDUs.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
          $hit!
          spoiler tags!!!!

most of you have been good, but... nnnnnnnnnngggg!
          Scari, I'm in total agreement with you here. The other week, with MM, I knew some stuff I really didn't want to. Practically no one used spoiler tags for pretty big things like
          Spoiler:

Sam's comment about him losing his trousers

And it really annoys me. I want these things to be a nice surprise, something to make me giggle, not just "Meh, I read about that on GW".
          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

i've still not seen quest all the way through, but i do have to say, all those that said i was stupid and being 'mean' to predict that adria would have her mommy's dress sense

tight leather and capes....i'm surprised the writers restrained themselves this long
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i've still not seen quest all the way through, but i do have to say, all those that said i was stupid and being 'mean' to predict that adria would have her mommy's dress sense

tight leather and capes....i'm surprised the writers restrained themselves this long
              Sky, bite your tongue! Don't give the writers any ideas...or the next scene will have one of (or all) the female cast members in restraints
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                Couldn't green you, spaz, but I wanted to say I wholeheartedly agreed. I saw a lot to like in tonight's SG-1. Sam was IN CHARGE!!! That was great!

And thanks for the great screencaps, Kat! That was fast!

However, I was disappointed with SGA big time. Again, RDA was used poorly.
                Re: Atlantis
                Spoiler:
                They probably are using him to try to bring SG1 viewers over to Atlantis. Jack in danger might keep them tuned in. But yeah, poorly used. I wonder if he's disappointed with what they wrote for him?

Re: SG1 The Quest
                Spoiler:
                Loved seeing Science Sam and people defer to her. Gotta love it anytime she does hand signals. And AT looked great as always.
                --Great pat on the back from Vala.
                --Liked that the team was together.
                --Loved Teal'c's line "I'll squeeze you through the bars." I laughed out loud.

--Daniel was used pretty well--his linguistic expertise etc.--somewhat reminiscent of his old self.

--I didn't see it coming that the librarian was Adria, but I was suspicious. I liked the barkeep & actually kind of wished she'd go with the team.

--Why aren't they carrying zats anymore? Much quieter than P90s when you don't want to draw attention to yourselves. Unless you need to come up with some reason why they need to make a quick escape through the secret door to up the tension level.
                With diminished expectations, not a bad episode. As a cliffhanger, so-so.

Comment

I just watched Avalon Part 1 and
                  Spoiler:
                  noticed Sam said she had 'good reasons' to have moved to Area 51. She didn't mention Cassie being one of them. So.... will that happen later on? Are people imagining it? Or did I miss it?

Oh and... Teal'c is such a tease

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                    Sky, bite your tongue! Don't give the writers any ideas...or the next scene will have one of (or all) the female cast members in restraints
                    About time too!
                    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      THANK YOU!!!!!

Kat these caps are awsome

I just have seen the ep. and I overall I think it is a good ep...ok not great like the eps from season 1-7...but for season 9 and 10 it was good
                      Some good interaction between the teammembers...
                      Spoiler:

Ok just that dragon...anyones else thinks that is Mushu from Disney's Mulan...I mean come on that is not something I would be affraid of...It is porely done CG for me...I really found it nothing...but I do like the idea of a dragon...

I also loved the Sam/Vala interaction...I even liked Vala in this ep...it was again the Vala from end of season 9! And I love that Vala much more than the Vala, sexkitten.

As for the old man being Adria...I really didn't saw that coming...I knew it was someone from the ori...I mean that I did saw but Adria herself...nice

As for the test they had to go through...I didn't find the test that original but to me it didn't have to be...although it would have been more fun if they did have original thinks...
                      I did like the thing with giving up something...but as others already have said...I would have been more fun if they had to give up something more of valuable for them...

the Ba'al/team thing I loved too...good interaction between them...
                      I also loved the Adria/team...I think it is kind of funny they are working with 2 of their ennemies

this has probably all been said already so sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
                        I just watched Avalon Part 1 and
                        Spoiler:
                        noticed Sam said she had 'good reasons' to have moved to Area 51. She didn't mention Cassie being one of them. So.... will that happen later on? Are people imagining it? Or did I miss it?

Oh and... Teal'c is such a tease
                        it's never really mentioned on air that i can recall

sam's 'backstory' for the first half of s9 was pretty much ignored during s9 - and since.

we've gotten the cassie idea from things AT has said, her personal interpretations...things the writers can't/won't do

sigpic

Comment

sam's 'backstory' for the first half of s9 was pretty much ignored during s9 - and since.

we've gotten the cassie idea from things AT has said, her personal interpretations...things the writers can't/won't do
                          Didn't she tell Barret in Ex Deus Machina that one of the reasons why she took the Area 51 Joke was so she could have flexible hours and spend time with Cassie? She was apparently going through a hard time?

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                          My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                          My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                          My Stargate Videos
                          It's meant to be!

Comment

you're right, she does

that eps was so unremarkable i seem to have forgotten most of it

Spoiler:
                            BARRETT: yeah… pretty good…can't complain *smiles, she nods, carries
                            on, he looks at screen* what's new?

CARTER: uh… lets see…I was leading R&D for a while there

BARRETT: *he nods, smiles* well…I never figured you the type to
                            settle for a desk job…

CARTER: I needed something with more flexible hours. Janet's adopted
                            daughter Cassie was going through a hard time…

BARRETT: oh I see…

CARTER: spent some time on the Prometheus…away on deep space
                            reconnaissance.

BARRETT: mmmhmmm

CARTER: oooh. *grins* Help stopped a dangerous new enemy from
                            getting a foothold in the galaxy
                            Last edited by kiwigater; 23 September 2006, 03:01 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Can I SQUEE here for a bit???

I usually do my Sam/Jack squeeing on the shipper family thread but now I really only want to say: I love Sam!!!

I've been rewatchting all seasons since I've just got all DVD's. And I started with S1 and watching everything in the right order (so I really have to fight the urge to watch all shippy eps first ) and just now I watched Singularity and I thought Sam was great. I thought she was so loving towards Cassie, SQUEE. And it did not make her look weak or anything imo, only human and caring.

I know you all probably talked about this ep in the past so please feel free to ignore my post but just wanted to share my thought on the ep with you.
                              So now off to watch another S1 ep.
                              Last edited by SamJackShipLover; 23 September 2006, 11:59 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

The problem I have with the suggestion that Sam left because of Cassie is that only a very short time passed between when Sam left for Area 51 and when she returned in ‘Beachhead’, just a matter of weeks. During this time, between the hassles involved in changing jobs and getting caught up to speed on the projects she would be responsible for overseeing at Area 51, Sam’s work on the bomb and her stint on the Prometheus, I don’t see her being able to spend much time with Cassie.

Cassie is probably in college at this point so I doubt that she is living with Sam this year, although I am sure that they are in contact and that Cassie lived with Sam after Janet’s death until she went away to college.

If Cassie was having trouble adjusting to college, or was undergoing a brief crisis, I don’t see Sam having trouble obtaining a few weeks, even a couple of months of leave to help her, not after all she had done for the SGC, especially when things were quiet. If Cassie’s problems were more serious, if she was suffering from severe depression, for example, Sam would have been able to offer her very limited support while working at Area 51 and I don’t see her retaking a position on SG-1 if Cassie had needed her badly enough for her to leave it in the first place.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X