• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    Keep a girl/boyfriend for any length of time
    Or alive for that matter.

She also has no sane concept of "fun".

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
      You don't have to be a pilot to be a member of the USAF.
      But don't you have to be a pilot to fly their planes?

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
        Jack is not a pilot. He knows how to fly the aircraft and logged in more hours in the F-302 than any other member of the SGC. Jack's specialty is in black ops. He's a master parachutist. You don't have to be a pilot to be a member of the USAF. Hammond, Landry and Mitchell are all qualified pilots with their pilot's wings.

Sam flew in the Gulf. But her speciality is in astrophysics. She's a scientist. A darn good scientist. The Pentagon saw something special in her enough to trust her with the Stargate project. She's probably flown more in the F-302s than in her entire career pre-Stargate program.
        I agree. Also another fact is that her dad was a pretty important and high up their guy. I have seen it myself. If it is a Lt. Col or above, they will put a person that is not no where capable of doing that job, it's called kissing a**. This has nothing to do with our Sam, she is a hell of a soldier, hell I wish I would have had some liker her when I was over their. I am just making a point that Jacob could have talked to the right people and wham, their is our girl Sam in the cockpit of a F-16. Hey connections like that can make a world of difference in the military. What better person could you expect to have in cockpit, my first vote would always be Sam or someone just like her. You know that no matter what the job, they are always going to give it a 110% and ya gotta love that.
        All said IMHO.

DK

Flyin First Class As Always
        DK

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
          I'm sure that it's part of their training if they enter the Air Force Academy. They fly gliders out there and they also learn how to parachute. And they get a free education in exchange for years of service upon graduation. From their website:

The academy offers courses in flying, navigation, soaring and parachuting, building from basic skills to instructor duties. Cadets may fly light aircraft with the Cadet Flying Team. Those not qualified for flight training must enroll in a basic aviation course. Astronomy and advanced navigation courses also are available. Students bound for pilot training enroll in the flight screening program at the academy and fly the DA-20 Katana aircraft.
          So Jack and Sam were not bound for pilot training.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
            We have to look at a very high and different quality in Jack. He was in the Special Ops right, well they go through tons of schools and training and their training can range from the ground or air assault. So therefore it is understable that he could posess the knowledge needed to fly USAF aircrafts and alien advanced types of aircraft also.
            DK

Flyin First Class As Always
            DK

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              i agree with you totally. they did do the same thing to jack and cam...and it was more expediency in the story than anything approaching reality

personally, i kinda like her NOT being an earth pilot. i mean, fcol, she's a crack shot, astrophysist and leader in her field, gorgous as all get out, a good sport, has tons of friends....dang, there's gotta be SOMETHING she can't do.
              urinate standing up. well, she can, but there's the mess and all.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Keep a girl/boyfriend for any length of time
                how many boyfriends has she had? i can name two - jonas hanson and pete shanahan.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

*gasp*

ER premieres in eight minutes!

CSI... Dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    Originally posted by scarimor
                    A real aircraft. Simulated in this context means practise in an aircraft. As someone who occasionally experiences Air Force pilots' simulated bombing runs from down on the ground, I can assure you it's a real aircraft! (and sometimes scarily close, I should add).
                    Yeesh! Not over populated areas, I hope?
                    Oh yes. Populated all right. It's ironic - I grew up on an Air force base and then moved - to a part of the country where the terrain is such (fells, trees, lakes) that the Air Force come for their low-flying. I can't get away from them! There's a water treatment plant just up the road from me which they often use as a dummy target for their bombing simulations.

Sometimes those aircraft get very low indeed. They tend to skirt the town where I live now, but they like to skim the bottom of the valleys (I used to live in one). I know they're not as low as they feel, but it does feel scary when you can see the pilot's face.

As to the F16, I simply know for a fact that women were not piloting F16s over enemy air space during the first Gulf war - unless they were sent out on some super-duper-ultra-even more secret than usual, double-locked classified missions that I wouldn't know about.
                    Like 'gate missions

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                    As for women flying in combat - well there is the OFFICIAL date that they were allowed to and the actual dates preceeding that - go ask some female pilots.
                    Yeppers
                    scarimor

Comment

IMHO, sam became a pilot because the show started to center itself around ships and it would have cost too much to hire an extra to be her pilot (not to mention being sorta silly) thus sam became a pilot
                      In that case, why did they talk about her pulling out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16 in the very first episode? Given that she would have to be a pilot to do that, what's your take on that dialogue?

We have to consider how writing works. If a writer has his brand new character talk about "logging over 100 hours in enemy airspace" and "pulling out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16", he knows that his general audience is going to assume that the character is a pilot. They're not going to double-check her badges. I know I didn't - and I didn't double-check Jack's later either. So if the character is not a pilot, the writer has to flag that up somehow - he has to qualify the dialogue in some way - e.g. "in an awac" or "during my weapons system training". The fact that they didn't qualify Sam as a 'not!pilot' in the dialogue in CotG leaves the obvious standing: Sam's a pilot (and so is Kawalski, probably ) unless we're told otherwise.

Her wanting to be an astronaut also fits neatly with the pilot training route, and we learned about that ambition early on in the series.

not being a pilot doesn't make her less of a character
                      No. But I find it much easier to explain away a bit of faulty costume-badging than something as explicit as clear dialogue in the very first episode, when they were introducing the character and telling us her background. How do you explain away the dialogue, Sky?
                      Last edited by scarimor; 22 September 2006, 02:22 AM.
                      scarimor

Comment

I have blue jello! And a blue tongue!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by myblackrose
                          I have blue jello! And a blue tongue!!!!
                          Tastes good, doesn't it?
                          scarimor

Comment

Tastes good, doesn't it?
                            Oh you betcha!

How is everyone? I've been at Uni a week and found no other 'gaters but I'm joining a movie club so there might be some in there

Comment

No. But I find it much easier to explain away a bit of faulty costume-badging than something as explicit as clear dialogue in the very first episode, when they were introducing the character and telling us her background. How do you explain away the dialogue, Sky?
                              writer carelessness.

same with capt/major kawalski and other errors

they put in lines that sounded good

either that or they had sam being a pilot - cause you know that's ALLL the air force does. Everyone is a pilot and then were corrected and dropped the piloting aspect until they needed it to accomodate their fascinatino with all things shipy (space shippy that is)
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

either that or they had sam being a pilot - cause you know that's ALLL the air force does. Everyone is a pilot and then were corrected and dropped the piloting aspect until they needed it to accomodate their fascinatino with all things shipy (space shippy that is)
                                "dropped the piloting aspect" as in "wrote lots of 'gate-travel episodes"?
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X