Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MickSpeed
    Never noticed that myself, but sounds quite odd. Althrough I don't think, that this was intended.
    Jack's always worn a Master Parachutist Badge, which I think fits in better with his background in special forces than pilot wings would. Of course, then the writers go off and have him flying missions in a -302, so who knows what they think?

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
      In Children of the Gods (season 1), we learn than Sam piloted an F-16 in the Gulf.
      Transcript of COTG: KAWALSKI: I think what the Colonel is saying is, have you ever pulled out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16 at 8-plus G's?

So if it was a simulated bombing run, was Sam even in a real plane or was it like the shuttle simulations on the ground at NASA?

I think that it is also noteworthy that Kawalski said 'simulated' because he'd have known that it was against military regulations (at the time) for women to be in actual, direct combat situations.

As to Sam's actual air experience pre-SGC, the transcript says: CARTER:
      Colonel, I logged over a hundred hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War.

So, she was in the air, over enemy space during the Gulf war, and, yes, she should have some sort of badge that says so, but she may not have been the pilot.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        Transcript of COTG: KAWALSKI: I think what the Colonel is saying is, have you ever pulled out of a simulated bombing run in an F-16 at 8-plus G's?

So if it was a simulated bombing run, was Sam even in a real plane or was it like the shuttle simulations on the ground at NASA?
        Well, I'm pretty sure simulators aren't up to the task of simulating g-forces (having the screen go black like they do in PC flight sim games doesn't count ). I've always thought it was referring to an actual run in a live aircraft, just with dummy weapons.

Comment

Here's an even more updated list

Nominations
          Link to Stargatefan awards here

ReganX

Just A Number+++++++++++++++Best Team Story

Three Men And A Little Theoretical Astrophysicist ++++Best Humour Story

Skydiver aka Denise

Secrets Trilogy+++++++++++++++++++++Gen Au
          No Turning Back++++++++++++++++++++Gen, Angst, Sam
          Tentative Gestures++++++++++++++++++Gen, Angst, Other
          Midwinter's Nightmare++++++++++++++++Gen, Drama
          Stages+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Gen, Tag
          Maktel Shree lotak Meta Setak Oz+++++++Gen, Humor
          Burdens - written with Adi+++++++++++++Gen, HC

So Shall it Be+++++++++++++++++++++++Ship, AA
          Unas Wooness++++++++++++++++++++++Ship, Humor
          One More Revelation++++++++++++++++++Pre-ship
          Trinkets+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Series

Mandysg1

Shades of Grey: The Aftermath +++++++++SG1/Atlantis/ship/ Best Crossover Story: Other
          What’s In a Name +++++++++++++++++++Gen, Best Humor Story
          Getting to Know You+++++++++++++++++=Gen, Best Action/Adventure Story

Strix varia

Knife's Edge of Madness ++++++++++++++++GEN > Best Drama Story
          Looking Up+++++++++++++++++++++++++++SHIP > Best Angst Story > Jack/Sam
          Surviving++++++++++++++++++++++++++++GEN > Best DarkFic Story
          Ten-Thousand Suns++++++++++++++++++++ FEMSLASH > Best Pre-Slash Story
          Under Fire +++++++++++++++++++++++++++GEN > Best Action/Adventure Story

Kish (better known to us as scarimor)

McKay's Metaphor +++++++++++SHIP > Best Crossover Story: SG-1/Atlantis
          Flood Basalt ++++++++++++++++FEMSLASH > Best General Story
          Catching Carter +++++++++++++MULTIPLES > Best PWP Story
          Last edited by Mandysg1; 21 September 2006, 06:33 AM.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Well, I'm pretty sure simulators aren't up to the task of simulating g-forces (having the screen go black like they do in PC flight sim games doesn't count ). I've always thought it was referring to an actual run in a live aircraft, just with dummy weapons.
            And I just thought it had to do with the dummy behind the scenes people not getting anything right
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              And I just thought it had to do with the dummy behind the scenes people not getting anything right
              /me fires a dummy rocket at Mandy

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                /me fires a dummy rocket at Mandy

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i attribute sam's '100 hours' to being in an awacs plane during the gulf. they flew over enemy air space but didn't engage

and i'm not saying this to pick on sam, i'm just pointing out a huge inconsistency. sam started out wtih her 'simulated bombing run' then there's no mention of her being a pilot...until the show took off on its focus on all things airborne and got ships and needed the characters to be pilots, regardless of whether they ever were or not (and i seem to recall hearing why jack is a pilot...cause rda said he is. which ignores the reality of jack, with all his off world trips being able to maintain the flight hours necessary to be qualified to fly on earth. then again, harmon rabb did...)
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hi Folks,

TIME IS RUNNING OUT!

-> DEADLINE : OCTOBER, 2006 <-

FINAL AT2 / THANK YOU CARD Reminder!

If you wish for your personal message and signature to appear on the Amanda Tapping
                    THANK YOU FOR 10 YEARS OF SAM CARTER poster presentation to Amanda at AT2/GABIT (you don't have to be attending to have your message on the card!), please read the link below for more information.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=35627

IT'S EASY!

For those of you without scanners or unable to scan your writing into a computer, please simply forward your message to the email address [email protected] and I will place it into a handwriting font for the poster. You may also wish to include your local state/province/country for posterity in the note.

Pass on the good word, if you please, wherever you know there are fans of Sam and Amanda...

If you have no idea what this is all about ... see below!

Cheers & Hugs,

minigeek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      i attribute sam's '100 hours' to being in an awacs plane during the gulf. they flew over enemy air space but didn't engage
                      But she'd still have a badge to signify it (this one or maybe this one I'd imagine.) So since she doesn't have the relevant badge for an aircrew member, I can't see how the 'no pilots wings' arguement really holds up.

I think we need to take what was said in CoTG at face value. If you look too deeply into it, it just becomes confusing (probably cos it was never really intended to be looked into deeply). There's obvious inconsistancies between the Stargate world and RL, so it's not too hard to imagine that, for example, female pilots were allowed in combat roles a year or two earlier than when it happened IRL.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        Oh you're right - we know she's flown an F-16, and we know she's clocked over 100 hours in enemy airspace. I'd got 'Gulf' and 'F-16' together in my head - probably because that's what the writers intended when they put these references in the same conversation in the same scene.

A real aircraft. Simulated in this context means practise in an aircraft. As someone who occasionally experiences Air Force pilots' simulated bombing runs from down on the ground, I can assure you it's a real aircraft! (and sometimes scarily close, I should add).

As to Sam's actual air experience pre-SGC, the transcript says: CARTER:
                        Colonel, I logged over a hundred hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War.

So, she was in the air, over enemy space during the Gulf war, and, yes, she should have some sort of badge that says so, but she may not have been the pilot.
                        But why would you question it? We know she's a pilot. We've seen her pilot an aircraft. What's the deal here? Is there some other reference in the show which suggests she was doing something else in enemy airspace?
                        Last edited by scarimor; 21 September 2006, 07:30 AM.
                        scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

and i'm not saying this to pick on sam, i'm just pointing out a huge inconsistency. sam started out wtih her 'simulated bombing run' then there's no mention of her being a pilot...
                          This isn't really true, Sky. Why would she be doing a simulated bombing run, if not practising combat? There's no point. You don't train for bombing runs so that you can sit many thousands of feet up. You train so you can do the bombing run for real.

And if she's trained for bombing runs in an F-16 (and canon says she did), it's because she's the pilot! She can hardly be doing something else while sitting on the "real pilot's" knee!

The fact that they had her in an F-16 from the very first episode tells us that they intended for her to be a pilot from the beginning of the series.
                          Last edited by scarimor; 21 September 2006, 07:39 AM.
                          scarimor

Comment

Ah, dammit. I was at work (or possibly asleep?) when you had the LJ talk last night. There's actually a Samandan community which I set up when Sky last asked about it (though I haven't had chance to work on layouts or anything recently). *shrug* Oh well.
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990
                              does X-302 count????
                              then in season 6 the first episode(or the second)
                              she was in it with jack,
                              Yes, and remember she volunteered to fly it before Jack volunteered to go along. That implies she is a pilot, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                                Yes, and remember she volunteered to fly it before Jack volunteered to go along. That implies she is a pilot, too.
                                And I admit I'm baffled by the confusion here. The canon is unequivocal, right from the beginning:

CotG (episode one!): Sam tells us she has indeed done a simulated bombing run in an F-16: something which only a pilot in the USAF would do (unless the F-16 was a futuristic sentient model from the 28th century and all Carter had to do was sit back and do some... oh, I dunno... knitting).

Covenant: Sam pilots an F-302. Yup. She does that sitting in the front seat, controling the aircraft, making it go up and down and roundabout piloty thing.

What gives?
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X