Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    or what if we had a ficathon where folks had to pair up 2 of the 4...but it HAS to be a cross galaxy event, ie

teyla/sam
    teyla/vala
    weir/sam
    weir/vala

no simple pairing, since teyla/weir and sam/vala is a gimme

maybe...umm, exchange student days or something.
    Oh, those stories will be fun to read! I would love to read one about Sam and Elizabeth. That would be great! My favorite SG1 and my favorite SGA starring in the same fanfic!

Comment

hey peoples just dropping in to say HEY
      so how are people going to spend there sg1 break? it seems like such a LONG time....apparently ripple effect is on here tonight, but thats only season 9......IMHO the biggest boo boo in sg1 history...dont hate me
      enjoying s10 alot more, but they are spending so much time crucial time developing new characters that our originals seem to be pushed to the back....
      i ll say it once more
      RDA..WHERE ARE U IN THE TIME OF NEED????

toodles, Bee
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge"

sig by RepliCartertje
      http://stargatesg1.com/QueenBee
      http://www.myspace.com/madame_minx

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        Sure Deejay

Nominations
        Link to Stargatefan awards here

ReganX

Just A Number+++++++++++++++Best Team Story

Three Men And A Little Theoretical Astrophysicist ++++Best Humour Story

Skydiver aka Denise

Secrets Trilogy+++++++++++++++++++++Gen Au
        No Turning Back++++++++++++++++++++Gen, Angst, Sam
        Tentative Gestures++++++++++++++++++Gen, Angst, Other
        Midwinter's Nightmare++++++++++++++++Gen, Drama
        Stages+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Gen, Tag
        Maktel Shree lotak Meta Setak Oz+++++++Gen, Humor
        Burdens - written with Adi+++++++++++++Gen, HC

So Shall it Be+++++++++++++++++++++++Ship, AA
        Unas Wooness++++++++++++++++++++++Ship, Humor
        One More Revelation++++++++++++++++++Pre-ship
        Trinkets+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Series

Mandysg1

Shades of Grey: The Aftermath +++++++++SG1/Atlantis/ship/ Best Crossover Story: Other
        What’s In a Name +++++++++++++++++++Gen, Best Humor Story
        Getting to Know You+++++++++++++++++=Gen, Best Action/Adventure Story

Strix varia

Knife's Edge of Madness ++++++++++++++++GEN > Best Drama Story
        Looking Up+++++++++++++++++++++++++++SHIP > Best Angst Story > Jack/Sam
        Surviving++++++++++++++++++++++++++++GEN > Best DarkFic Story
        Ten-Thousand Suns++++++++++++++++++++ FEMSLASH > Best Pre-Slash Story
        Under Fire +++++++++++++++++++++++++++GEN > Best Action/Adventure Story
        Just to confuse things, my stuff's under the name

Kish:

McKay's Metaphor +++++++++++SHIP > Best Crossover Story: SG-1/Atlantis
        Flood Basalt ++++++++++++++++FEMSLASH > Best General Story
        Catching Carter +++++++++++++MULTIPLES > Best PWP Story
        Last edited by scarimor; 21 September 2006, 02:20 AM.
        scarimor

Comment

Sam pilot question:

In Children of the Gods (season 1), we learn than Sam piloted an F-16 in the Gulf.

In Covenant (season 8), we see Sam pilot an F-302 at the Alpha Site.

Are there any other such instances or references to Sam piloting aircraft / aerospace craft in the show?

scarimor

Comment

IIRC, sam FLEW in an f16 - anyone know if that plane has room for two???

my only reason for saying this, sam doesn't wear wings. and, as far as i know, once pilots get those wings, they dont' take them off easily
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
              I've set up the community and added you as a maintainer. I sent an invite, let me know if you don't get it. We can work out the details of the ficathon this week or weekend sometime. I'll also get userpics up, and a layout of somesort. I need to download some pics of Teyla, Vala, and Weir first. Anyone with any good ones they want to PM me, I'd be grateful!
              i didn't get anything. how about you send me the addy to the community, i can join it and then you can alter my permissions from there
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                Sam pilot question:

In Children of the Gods (season 1), we learn than Sam piloted an F-16 in the Gulf.

Are there any other such instances or references to Sam piloting aircraft / aerospace craft in the show?

I've never thought about that. When people think of Sam, they think of a smart, funny, witty person, not a pilot. I think those might be the only times though.

BTW, nice pic!

Comment

my only reason for saying this, sam doesn't wear wings. and, as far as i know, once pilots get those wings, they dont' take them off easily
                  The F-16D is a two seat trainer of the single seat F-16C (it is exported as a two seat attack aircraft as well, but I don't think the USAF uses the F-16D in any combat roles. Mitchell was flying an F-16C in those flashback sequences in Collateral Damage.)

But, even if Sam were flying backseat during the Gulf War (or aboard an AWACS or whatever), she still should have the relevant badge to go with it. Since she doesn't, I'd simply write it off as a screw-up. The basic rule of thumb for a TV show/Movie is that 'Spoken Canon' outweighs 'Prop Canon' if they are in conflict (or so I've heard). The reason being that Spoken Canon is something that has been written for the character by the writers themselves, whereas Prop Canon is handled by the prop department/costume department/VFX department etc and hasn't been explicitly specified by the writers. Take a look back to CoTG too - there were dozens of muckups in the military details (Saluting indoors, a guy that was wearing both enlisted and officer ranks, Sam's badges, airmen playing poker whilst on duty...). I don't think the PTB had any idea that they were wrong. They'd specifically made mention of Sam's time in the cockpit, but screwed up on the uniform details.

Also, Jack has never worn wings on his uniform. Yet he's accepted as a pilot. Jack's set of badges has also changed from episode to episode (he originally didn't have any Vietnam badges and he was wearing a Small Arms Expert Marksmanship badge, but later on the Vietnam badges appear and he loses the small arms badge).

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                    Sam pilot question:

does X-302 count????
                    then in season 6 the first episode(or the second)
                    she was in it with jack,
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990
                      does X-302 count????
                      then in season 6 the first episode(or the second)
                      she was in it with jack,
                      If you're talking about the ep with Anubis's superweapon, she was second seat on that mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                        The F-16D is a two seat trainer of the single seat F-16C (it is exported as a two seat attack aircraft as well, but I don't think the USAF uses the F-16D in any combat roles. Mitchell was flying an F-16C in those flashback sequences in Collateral Damage.)

But, even if Sam were flying backseat during the Gulf War (or aboard an AWACS or whatever), she still should have the relevant badge to go with it. Since she doesn't, I'd simply write it off as a screw-up. The basic rule of thumb for a TV show/Movie is that 'Spoken Canon' outweighs 'Prop Canon' if they are in conflict (or so I've heard). The reason being that Spoken Canon is something that has been written for the character by the writers themselves, whereas Prop Canon is handled by the prop department/costume department/VFX department etc and hasn't been explicitly specified by the writers. Take a look back to CoTG too - there were dozens of muckups in the military details (Saluting indoors, a guy that was wearing both enlisted and officer ranks, Sam's badges, airmen playing poker whilst on duty...). I don't think the PTB had any idea that they were wrong. They'd specifically made mention of Sam's time in the cockpit, but screwed up on the uniform details.

Also, Jack has never worn wings on his uniform. Yet he's accepted as a pilot. Jack's set of badges has also changed from episode to episode (he originally didn't have any Vietnam badges and he was wearing a Small Arms Expert Marksmanship badge, but later on the Vietnam badges appear and he loses the small arms badge).

aha i noticed that before, but i didn't know exactly what they ment.
                        also, according my brother who was in the military, everybody has everywhere there names on there uniforms, in stargate they never have there name on there uniform you always see the empty spot where they should have been.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Bee
                          hey peoples just dropping in to say HEY
                          so how are people going to spend there sg1 break?
                          toodles, Bee
                          Watching season and episode premiers in Germany. ATM Atlantis Season 2 is running and in November we'll get SG-1 Season 9. So not a too big hole here.

Mick

Thank you SO much Amanda! (Icons by various great artists)

Comment

She flew an F16, so she's a pilot. That was established in the very first episode. As far as I know, the F-16 is a single cockpit in the USAF. There are two seats in some F-16s - for training purposes. For training pilots.

ETA: AD clarified above

That'll be one of many costuming incontinuities in the show. She couldn't fly an F-306 unless she's a qualified pilot, and we saw her do that in Covenant, so I'm not clear where your question is headed, Sky, given that Jack doesn't have wings either (or doesn't much of the time - I can't off-hand remember seeing him wearing them but it's possible he has).
                            Last edited by scarimor; 21 September 2006, 06:03 AM.
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by broken-heart
                              If you're talking about the ep with Anubis's superweapon, she was second seat on that mission.
                              oh yeah, so that doesn't count...then i really don't know it..
                              just one question, was it the first/second episode of S6 or S7?(every time mix the two of them up, only the first episodes then, i only know that daniels came back in S7, the first eppie, the rest i forget, just like the whole first episode of S6)
                              i have to check my dvd's later for it...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990
                                ...also, according my brother who was in the military, everybody has everywhere there names on there uniforms, in stargate they never have there name on there uniform you always see the empty spot where they should have been.
                                Maybe to avoid being identified from the enemy.

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                Never noticed that myself, but sounds quite odd. Althrough I don't think, that this was intended.

Thank you SO much Amanda! (Icons by various great artists)

Comment

Working...
                                X