Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re 'company of thieves'

Spoiler:
    does anyone think they're setting it up for sam to take over command of (groans; i can't remember what the ship's name is )

but anyhoo, does anyone else think this is happening?

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LadyJeep
      I have to agree with you DEM. I watched both airings and thought it sounded odd when he said that line. I thought it was just me, so I'm glad someone else noticed!
      Woohoo! That's one! Any other takers? Thanks for commenting, LadyJeep!

Originally posted by minigeek
      Spoiler:
      it would have been far more powerful IMHO if they'd saved the rage-tears for a solitary moment when Sam knew she could let loose and get that stress out of her system without an audience full of subordinants looking to her for leadership.
      minigeek! it's weird not having you around as much
      Spoiler:
      The weeping didn't anger me (<cynical> perhaps I've grown accustomed to it? </c>), but it did jolt me enough that I can agree that I would have preferred your scenario. And with all due respect to egobooy (), I don't see those other instances you cited as psychologically or sociologically equivalent to CoT. Martouf's death was the closest in that there were a number of witnesses of lower rank, but in that sitch Carter had just killed a good friend and ally! Herself! After ordering others to, essentially, let her deliver the killing blow! And she wasn't in charge of the SGC -- and therefore being looked to for leadership. (Remember, that was back in the day when we had evidence of other high ranking officers apart from SG-1. /snark). Noooo... Divide and Conquer not the same as CoT, imnsho.

All that said... I have been neglecting to say that I feel AT did a fab job. She got the emotion across but kept Carter as in character as possible given the demands of the script.
      Last edited by DEM; 16 September 2006, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        re 'company of thieves'
        Spoiler:
        does anyone think they're setting it up for sam to take over command of (groans; i can't remember what the ship's name is )
        Yup!
        Spoiler:
        I did have that same feeling briefly while watching, majorsal.

*cough*Odyssey*cough*

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
          Yup!
          Spoiler:
          I did have that same feeling briefly while watching, majorsal.

*cough*Odyssey*cough*
          Spoiler:
          Yeah me three ... new spinoff series, Stargate: Odyssey, with Amanda Tapping as FULL BIRD Colonel Samantha Carter (in command!) ... *sigh* now THERE is a pipe dream for ya...

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Spoiler:
            Yeah me three ... new spinoff series, Stargate: Odyssey, with Amanda Tapping as FULL BIRD Colonel Samantha Carter (in command!) ... *sigh* now THERE is a pipe dream for ya...
            Hey mini, I'll have what ever you are smoking in that pipe
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Spoiler:

BUT
              Spoiler:
              change the blasted name of the ship! i think it's bad luck (and the prometheus too), so let her have a differently named ship, or just rename the Odyssey.

slight rant, but what a stupid way to spell that word (Odyssey, which i looked up. obvious, since it's capitalized )!

sam in command of her own ship!

and that marks guy could work on her ship.

sally

sally

sigpic

Comment

BUT
                Spoiler:
                change the blasted name of the ship! i think it's bad luck (and the prometheus too), so let her have a differently named ship, or just rename the Odyssey.

slight rant, but what a stupid way to spell that word (Odyssey, which i looked up. obvious, since it's capitalized )!

sam in command of her own ship!

and that marks guy could work on her ship.

sally

True

Spoiler:
                I mean all he really does is push a button
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                  Regarding Company of Thieves

Spoiler:

(super snippage)

just wanted to say.... gawd, amanda is pretty.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    slight rant, but what a stupid way to spell that word (Odyssey, which i looked up....
                    Are... are... are you saying you didn't read my post and/or didn't trust my spelling?

P.S.
                    just wanted to say.... gawd, amanda is pretty.
                    Is that... *gasp* glycerin?! !!Just kidding!! At first I was gonna say 'snot' but at the last minute it seemed too crude, but since I'd already started this perfectly good edit, I had to say SOMETHING!
                    Last edited by DEM; 16 September 2006, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                      Spoiler:
                      The weeping didn't anger me (<cynical> perhaps I've grown accustomed to it? </c>), but it did jolt me enough that I can agree that I would have preferred your scenario. And with all due respect to egobooy (), I don't see those other instances you cited as psychologically or sociologically equivalent to CoT. Martouf's death was the closest in that there were a number of witnesses of lower rank, but in that sitch Carter had just killed a good friend and ally! Herself! After ordering others to, essentially, let her deliver the killing blow! And she wasn't in charge of the SGC -- and therefore being looked to for leadership. (Remember, that was back in the day when we had evidence of other high ranking officers apart from SG-1. /snark). Noooo... Divide and Conquer not the same as CoT, imnsho.

All that said... I have been neglecting to say that I feel AT did a fab job. She got the emotion across but kept Carter as in character as possible given the demands of the script.
                      Spoiler:
                      I wasn't going for phsychological or sociological equivalents, per say. I was shooting for pattern behavior, and a consistent response in similar (not identical) circumstances. I suppose you could say that now that Sam is a Lt. Col. and in charge of so many others, that she should amend her behavior to reflect that position. But I also think it's unrealistic to expect a person to change just because their rank or title does. I don't expect Sam to have undergone some Hal to Henry metamorphosis wherein she's suddenly the rock of the SGC, or some sort of pardigm of either female strength or military stoicism. I rather appreciate that Sam Carter today, ten years after I met her, can still be recognized as the same person we began with, albeit with a world-weary edge to her now. For comparison, the same cannot be said for Daniel Jackson, who is fairly well down the road to unrecognizably different. I feel the addition of Vala to the already changed Daniel of latter Classic Stargate has rendered him a completely separate individual from his earlier days.

Also, like you, and in case I didn't say it anywhere else, I found Amanda Tapping to be outstanding in those scenes. Regardless of whether you agree with the decisions made, she sold both the reaction shot to Emerson's death and the angry grief back in the cargo hold. That they always saddle her with this type of stuff is a true compliment to Amanda Tapping. She (along with Chris Judge) was given the only real acting in the whole dang episode.

egobooy (with the giant head)

Comment

Does anyone have any pics of the scene everyone is discussing? Or have I already missed them some where?
                        Spoiler:
                        sam w/ tears. Was it a few tears? was she sobbing?

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                          Regarding Company of Thieves

Spoiler:
                          Ok I think Sam held it together as long as she could and then tried to go to a corner to get some privacy to be by herself...not her fault the boy couldn't take a hint and leave her alone. I made some caps and to me it appears that she was trying to hold it together but just had to let go a little....who could blame her. Now if they had protrayed her as losing it...then I would definately have a problem with it.

Here's a repost of the pictures during the scene. Spoilers for last night's episode....
                          my lovely avatar is courtesy of Lies, SamJackShipLover

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                            Spoiler:
                            But I also think it's unrealistic to expect a person to change just because their rank or title does. I don't expect Sam to have undergone some Hal to Henry metamorphosis wherein she's suddenly the rock of the SGC, or some sort of pardigm of either female strength or military stoicism.
                            goooooolfie! You're skirting dangerously close to bifurcation land, buddy-booy! I've already let it slide once. Don't make me pull out the 'et tu?'!

Spoiler:
                            Also, like you, and in case I didn't say it anywhere else, I found Amanda Tapping to be outstanding in those scenes.
                            Yes, you did in your full review, thoughtfulbooy!

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                              Are... are... are you saying you didn't read my post and/or didn't trust my spelling?

of course i read your posts!

backs away slowly

i just have short term... whatever it's called.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                                goooooolfie! You're skirting dangerously close to bifurcation land, buddy-booy!
                                Spoiler:
                                No, not bifurcation. From what I've read, perhaps wrongly, it seems that one of the primary complaints folks have expressed is not so much that Sam cried, but that she cried in front of subordinates, which in turn folks interpret as something that weakens her command of them or diminishes their respect for her. If I'm misconstruing what's being said, well, that's to be expected, what with all that hot air taking up space in my head. The general impression I got was that folks were saying that because she wasn't stoicly stone-faced throughout the ordeal that she was somehow less of soldier or less of commander or less of the Sam Carter we've been watching. I disagreed, with an exagerated summation of that position (the Hal to Henry bit).

As an aside, Henry was a rather emotional commander himself. That whole Crispin's Day speech is quite moving, if done right.

ETA: This is sort of a devil's advocate thing with me. I'm not saying I liked the decision, just that I don't see it as damaging, per say.

Comment

Working...
                                X