Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamO'Neill
    Spoiler:

It just bothered me... And next week's ep looks like it's going to be a Cam-focused one...
    Spoiler:

It looks to have some good Sam as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
      All right, I don't feel like reading the entirety of the McKay & Mrs Miller thread (sue me), so I'll ask here.
      Spoiler:
      Wasn't Jeannie's house Carter's house?! When Sam showed up -- o irony!
      I'll have to watch that again. I didn't notice, but I certainly enjoyed SGA last night!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        right then, its that time again folks. my thoughts on momento mori;

Spoiler:

i actually liked that sam made the "you earned it" comment to vala. sorry to go all camgry again briefly, but if you think about it, she's earned it more than cam did. she has been helping them, and she does seem to be trying to change. and i think with people like her, she needs that kind of encouragement, needs to see that her efforts are being noticed and appreciated, otherwise she'd be likely to revert to what's served her best over the years.

and i like that they are showing sam to be the kind and supportive person that we all know, love and aspire to be like. and its also true to her character that she would be the one really seeing the best in someone like vala, and the potential to be someone really worth knowing.

this is a good point. If we had had more interaction btw Vala and Sam previously, I think this would have gone over better with me b/c it would have made more sense. Sensitive and cynical Demanda that I am, I took at as simply a way for the writers to make Sam give her stamp of approval. "See, Sam's ok with it!" I wish we had gotten the scene(s) btw Vala and Sam that was/were reportedly cut from earlier episodes. That would have set up the scene you mention much better IMHO. CB did a nice job in this ep, but like you, I also wish we learned a bit more about Vala.

Comment

lord knows i'm not objective, but most of what i'm seeing here isn't a 'omg, sam didn't have enough lines, the show sucks'. it's more of a 'man, this episode was boring'

yeah, i noted that teal'c and sam really weren't there and really didn't even need to be in the show, but i seem to recall also saying 'no matter who had been kidnapped, this episode sucked'

IMHO, TPTB had a great chance to develop vala further, and instead dragged out tired old fanfic cliches and overdid the smarm so much that it was cringeworthy. i actually felt embarrassed for the actgors having to spew such tripe

and personally? not as a mod, but as a person? I have no patience for 'this is horrible and i'm gonna leave' stuff.

ya wanna go, go. No one gives a flying fig if i, as a person, am happy in other threads. no one cares when i get bashed 18 ways from sunday because i don't fit into someone's preconceived ideas of what the world should be. I as a person, have been chased off and out of threads and lists because i just don';t fit into what people want me to be. And i am tired of being taken to task and told to bugger off and die and make sure that i don't offend while i do it, because others' feelings are more important than mine.

this is a sam thread. of course we're gonna talk about the character. and we will talk about episodes as they pertain to that character. but if it's now going to be interpreted and our opinions are gonna be dismissesd as 'well those damn pissy demandas are gonna hate everything simply because it doesn't feature thierr character' well fine, leave. I am sick and tired of being told that i'm crap because i don't happen to like an aspect of the show and be told that im not allowed to criticize anything for risk of offending others.

memento mori was one huge honkin wasted opportunity. a chance to give vala some depth and identity was sacrificed to allow pdl to indulge his inner shipper. the writing was shallow, trite, boring and a sad marty sue story brought to life

one more episode in our ever dwindling list has been wasted because these boys can't handle a female character without denegrating her. about the only cliche they avoided was vala falling in love with her new boss.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

you know, it would have been interesting had they NOT had the ship angle. not catered to the d/v shippers adn had daniel lose her. what if it had been sam or teal'c? explore some relationships that they have ignored in their obsession with d/v and c/v

yeah, we know that daniel has a crush on vala. we know that cam is intrigued by her.

teal'c???? teal'c seems conflicted. respects her,but doesn't trust her either

sam and vala seem very leery about each other. not quite sure how they measure up.

it would have been interesting to see how they would have reacted to getting her back...and if they seemed to care. it reminded me a lot of mitch in babylong. gee, he's missing, that's too bad. what form do i need to fill out again???

they had the perfect opportunity to address sam's fear of being snagged. or tela'c's, both of which have been on the trust's/nid's hit list. there was a little chance to put a little fear in there. a little concern. some emotion would have been nice.

instead we got a retread of vala and hewo cam. it was a not so nice flashback.

there was nothing wrong with clauda's performance. like some one said, she did good with what she had. but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and this episode was pretty 'eary'

flat and emotionless and watched like it'd been cobbled together ove a weekend

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
              How many you want Mandy??? Just the beginning?

Thanks!!! Sam's funny expressions made my day whole now

Comment

the sam/mckay banter was veyr enjoyable

you know, as i was watching M&MM, i remmbered that, last season, they originally wanted to give rod a brother
                Spoiler:
                but david asked to make it a sister, with his own actress sister in mind. but when i was watching rod, meredith and jeanne i thought, you know, it was best as a girl. 3 mckay brothers would have been waayyy too much. it needed the female temperment in there

there was such wonderful character interaction in M&MM. good emotions and snappywriting. the characters were electric. they interacted and cared and emoted

it was just plain fun.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  the sam/mckay banter was veyr enjoyable

you know, as i was watching M&MM, i remmbered that, last season, they originally wanted to give rod a brother
                  Spoiler:
                  but david asked to make it a sister, with his own actress sister in mind. but when i was watching rod, meredith and jeanne i thought, you know, it was best as a girl. 3 mckay brothers would have been waayyy too much. it needed the female temperment in there

there was such wonderful character interaction in M&MM. good emotions and snappywriting. the characters were electric. they interacted and cared and emoted

it was just plain fun.
                  Spoiler:
                  I really liked watching the interaction between both McKays and Sam. Those three are great together. Hum..the third Gate series...'The McKays and Me'.

Comment

lord knows i'm not objective, but most of what i'm seeing here isn't a 'omg, sam didn't have enough lines, the show sucks'. it's more of a 'man, this episode was boring'

yeah, i noted that teal'c and sam really weren't there and really didn't even need to be in the show, but i seem to recall also saying 'no matter who had been kidnapped, this episode sucked'

IMHO, TPTB had a great chance to develop vala further, and instead dragged out tired old fanfic cliches and overdid the smarm so much that it was cringeworthy. i actually felt embarrassed for the actgors having to spew such tripe

and personally? not as a mod, but as a person? I have no patience for 'this is horrible and i'm gonna leave' stuff.

ya wanna go, go. No one gives a flying fig if i, as a person, am happy in other threads. no one cares when i get bashed 18 ways from sunday because i don't fit into someone's preconceived ideas of what the world should be. I as a person, have been chased off and out of threads and lists because i just don';t fit into what people want me to be. And i am tired of being taken to task and told to bugger off and die and make sure that i don't offend while i do it, because others' feelings are more important than mine.

this is a sam thread. of course we're gonna talk about the character. and we will talk about episodes as they pertain to that character. but if it's now going to be interpreted and our opinions are gonna be dismissesd as 'well those damn pissy demandas are gonna hate everything simply because it doesn't feature thierr character' well fine, leave. I am sick and tired of being told that i'm crap because i don't happen to like an aspect of the show and be told that im not allowed to criticize anything for risk of offending others.

memento mori was one huge honkin wasted opportunity. a chance to give vala some depth and identity was sacrificed to allow pdl to indulge his inner shipper. the writing was shallow, trite, boring and a sad marty sue story brought to life

one more episode in our ever dwindling list has been wasted because these boys can't handle a female character without denegrating her. about the only cliche they avoided was vala falling in love with her new boss.
                    hic commitas regit? anyone? anyone?
                    maybe i'm misinterpreting what you're saying here but, i have to stand up here and say something.

if you were chased out of other forums for expressing your opinion which differed from others, does that make it right to do the same to someone in this thread? because thats the impression that i got from your post here.

i've left a thread because i spoke out against something that i disagreed with and thought was wrong and was dismissed in a similar way to this by a few people. i even made a "i can't participate in a thread with this kind of attitude that seemingly goes against what it preaches" post. and i left. i still lurk occasionally, and i still support the idea of the thread. but i don't post there anymore because i don't feel that my opinions and menality is welcome there, nevermind respected. and its a few individuals that made me feel that way.

personally i hope SunKrux doesn't leave, because i enjoy reading her posts and i respect her opinions even when i don't agree with them, because they are always posted in a respectful manner. and i hope that any other vala or cam fans who are also sam fans don't feel unwelcome as a result of this (or any other) incident.

all sam fans should be welcome here, and should feel 100% free to post their thoughts and opinions in a respectful manner as long as the backbone of the posts are supportful of sam carter/amanda tapping. and if a person isn't happy with something, they should feel free to post their thoughts without fear of persecution from those who disagree.

and if someone wants to leave, then they should leave, but nothing should stop them from posting on why they want to leave, because maybe at least one person will pay attention to what was said, and think about how things are and whether they think that person was justified and/or right in their thoughts on what was wrong.

i don't think that what has been said about momento mori in relation to other characters was all that bad for the most part, but at least one person obviously did. maybe it wasn't that bad, maybe it was just the straw that broke the camels back.

personally, we all know how i feel about cam mitchell for the most part, but its been brought to my attention that not everyone feels that way, and that some people hate reading negative posts about him. i'm not going to censor myself or my opinions, but when i just can't hold back my frustration with the handling of the character, i put a warning on it and put it in an extra spoiler so those who like him can skip it. thats the best i can do.

anyway, i'm starting to ramble, so i'll just say again, what happened to "hic comitas regit"?

Comment

hic commitas regit? anyone? anyone?
                      maybe i'm misinterpreting what you're saying here but, i have to stand up here and say something.

if you were chased out of other forums for expressing your opinion which differed from others, does that make it right to do the same to someone in this thread? because thats the impression that i got from your post here.

i've left a thread because i spoke out against something that i disagreed with and thought was wrong and was dismissed in a similar way to this by a few people. i even made a "i can't participate in a thread with this kind of attitude that seemingly goes against what it preaches" post. and i left. i still lurk occasionally, and i still support the idea of the thread. but i don't post there anymore because i don't feel that my opinions and menality is welcome there, nevermind respected. and its a few individuals that made me feel that way.

personally i hope SunKrux doesn't leave, because i enjoy reading her posts and i respect her opinions even when i don't agree with them, because they are always posted in a respectful manner. and i hope that any other vala or cam fans who are also sam fans don't feel unwelcome as a result of this (or any other) incident.

all sam fans should be welcome here, and should feel 100% free to post their thoughts and opinions in a respectful manner as long as the backbone of the posts are supportful of sam carter/amanda tapping. and if a person isn't happy with something, they should feel free to post their thoughts without fear of persecution from those who disagree.
                      and if someone wants to leave, then they should leave, but nothing should stop them from posting on why they want to leave, because maybe at least one person will pay attention to what was said, and think about how things are and whether they think that person was justified and/or right in their thoughts on what was wrong.

i don't think that what has been said about momento mori in relation to other characters was all that bad for the most part, but at least one person obviously did. maybe it wasn't that bad, maybe it was just the straw that broke the camels back.

personally, we all know how i feel about cam mitchell for the most part, but its been brought to my attention that not everyone feels that way, and that some people hate reading negative posts about him. i'm not going to censor myself or my opinions, but when i just can't hold back my frustration with the handling of the character, i put a warning on it and put it in an extra spoiler so those who like him can skip it. thats the best i can do.

anyway, i'm starting to ramble, so i'll just say again, what happened to "hic comitas regit"?
                      Am I missing something here? I haven't seen anyone persecuted for their views, except maybe those of us being called hypocrits There are a lot of people who go back and forth on their thoughts of Vala, given the episode being discussed. Perhaps its the poor writing and characterization we didn't like in this episode, or the directing and missed opportunities. Not everyone is going to agree on what they like or dislike, but I have never dismissed anyone's post who disagrees with me
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Memento Mori
                        Spoiler:
                        you know, it would have been interesting had they NOT had the ship angle. what if it had been sam or teal'c?

teal'c???? teal'c seems conflicted. respects her,but doesn't trust her either

sam and vala seem very leery about each other. not quite sure how they measure up.

they had the perfect opportunity to address sam's fear of being snagged. or tela'c's, both of which have been on the trust's/nid's hit list. there was a little chance to put a little fear in there. a little concern. some emotion would have been nice.
                        Ya know, Sky, I was thinking much the same thing while watching.
                        Spoiler:
                        I tried to keep an open mind and go with the action, but I kept finding myself thinking things like, "Damn, that needed to be a Carter-Vala exchange." Heck, having Carter & Teal'c take Vala out to dinner would have been interesting just because of the sheer novelty of it.

Based on their comments in the past, however, I'd bet the writers would respond with something to the effect of, "Well, we knew AT wasn't going to be around as much for this ep...." or some other similar circular justification.

Comment

i'm not chasing people away. far from it.

yet, as a person of the opinon that what i've seen in this thread has been more about the quality of writing and not a 'not enough sam, it sucks' i find it rather disquieting to be taken to task and called a hypocrite.

so, what? just because kindness reigns here anyone and everyone can come in and take any of us to task for not being what they want us to be and it's ok? we're suppose to just be the doormats of the forum? never speak an ill word and if we say anything beyond 'isn't everything in the world sunshine and puppies' we're mean and horrible and hyprocrites?

the very same peopel that call us demandas and dismiss any opinions as 'those damn demanda fans' then take us to task for not being nice?

so, we're allowed to discuss stuff but must never say a harsh word about anything? that's not discussion.

now what? am i supposed to invite fans of all the other characterrs in here and let htem approve all posts so as not to offend? while at the same time of course, the demandas should just shut up and go away lest they offend the poor fans of anyone and everyone else

I found it insulting to have it implied that 'the demandas didn't like MM because sam wasnt' in it enough'

it's dismissive and would be the counterpart of 'of course you loved it, you're a farscape/claudia fan' which i would be taken to task for saying because those very same fans would be mad at me for dismissing thier opinion.

Others enjoyed MM. good for them. Glad that they did. i found it boring and trite and a sad wasted opportunity. they could have done do much with vala and the others and instead retread the same tired old ground.

People are of course welcome in here...but that shouldn't mean that we just lie down and let people walk all over us and never discuss anything for risk of offending someone. If that's how it's expected to be, then why bother to have a thread at all?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                            Raises glass with MG, to Amanda if only this world was filled with Amanda's!
                            Also what a lovely salute to her Mother and Father who brought her into this world and shaped her early baby years and now another generation in young Olivia as Amanda and Alan bring up their Daughter.
                            I was thinking along the same lines about Amanda after the Sg1 episode last night. She's really a class act. She's got grace about her that's easy to see. I really hope her future will be something wonderful. She deserves it.

Comment

it depends on why you're saying it. Are you saying it as a 'hey, folks, wake up call' or are you saying it as a 'well if i whine maybe everyone will beg me to stay'?

i understand the sentiment behind the former, i have no patience for the latter

All threads ebb and flow. times and tempers change. And if anyone feels like they're being chased off, don't report it to me if you don't want to, there are plenty of other mods you can bring into it and get a more objective pov.

People should be free to express thier opinions, but they should also be free to do it without experiencing emotional blackmail.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                                Am I missing something here? I haven't seen anyone persecuted for their views, except maybe those of us being called hypocrits There are a lot of people who go back and forth on their thoughts of Vala, given the episode being discussed. Perhaps its the poor writing and characterization we didn't like in this episode, or the directing and missed opportunities. Not everyone is going to agree on what they like or dislike, but I have never dismissed anyone's post who disagrees with me
                                ok, perhaps a poor choice of phrasing on my part. all i'm trying to say is that the way the post i saw was phrased seemed a little harsh.

and i am by no means saying that we shouldn't post our opinions regarding the characters we don't like. i've done my own fair share of doing that. all i'm saying is, anyone should feel free to stand up and say that they don't like what they are reading because they think its in some way wrong.

i'm not saying we shouldn't discuss or have differing opinions or feel free to post what we really think. completely the opposite actually. what i am saying is that we should have some respect for the opinions and feelings of everyone here.

post all you like about hating vala for all i care, i'll disagree or state my own opinion and go about my day. and for the most part i don't think that most of the posts have been out of line. maybe some of them about cameron have been, but i'm not exactly innocent there. i do feel sorry for any sam fans who like cameron and vala but feel that they can't post here because of that. and i'm not sure how i'd feel if i went into a vala thread or a cam thread and saw similar comments about sam that i've seen about them here. if that makes sense. and i'd like to think that if i went into a vala thread and said, hey thats not really fair! or something like that, or something pro sam/vala for that matter, that i wouldn't be told, well if you don't like it then just leave.

i know thats not exactly what was said.

it is possible to post a negative opinion about a character and be kind to the opinions of others at the same time.

its not nice to be called a hypocrite, and that particuar phrasing may have been harsh, but i dont think it warrants a 'fine then leave' response. the basis of the message was, i think, that lately the theory and motto of the thread doesn't quite translate in practice, and if i had been around much lately i'm sure i'd be guilty of that. i'm a pretty sucky person.

anyway. sorry for the disturbence. please return to your regular scheduled prosamming.

Comment

Working...
                                X