No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know...it's a shame that I no longer feel comfortable coming to this thread anymore.

I for one liked the eps and it saddens me that so many here are ripping Cam and Vala new ones because Sam didn't have much to do in the eps. I also seem to remember hearing from some of the folks on here how each of you felt when other fans were bashing Sam in favor of their favorite character/s and how most of you here felt about it. Yet a lot of folks here are doing exactly the SAME thing to Cam and Vala.

It was nice knowing folks here, but don't expect me to come out of lurkdom again. I'm sick of the hypocrisy in this thread.

Sam is still one of my fav characters and Amanda is also still one of my fav actors, but I just can't stand the way folks are dissin' on other characters (whether I like them or not) to make themselves feel better about Sam. Bad form imho.

*bring on the red dings, I honestly don't care anymore
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
      You know...it's a shame that I no longer feel comfortable coming to this thread anymore.

I for one liked the ep and it saddens me that so many here are ripping Cam and Vala new ones because Sam didn't have much to do in the ep.

It was nice knowing folks here, but don't expect me to come out of lurkdom again. I'm sick of the hypocrisy in this thread.
      I'm sorry you feel that way. However, I'm also honestly flummoxed. I just went back and re-read the thread starting from Sky's 'live' commentary last night and I think you've miscontrued a lot. From where I'm sitting, people ripped on the what they perceived to be the overall meh-ness of the episode AND they lamented the lack of Carter, which is not the same as ripping on the ep BECAUSE of the lack of Carter (due to the heaviness of Vala). I saw ONE comment that I would say could fit in the category of 'ripping on Cam because he took away from Carter'. One.

JMO.

Comment

right then, its that time again folks. my thoughts on momento mori;

Spoiler:

i was expecting this one to suck beyond compare. maybe it was my low expectations, or maybe not, but this episode really wasn't anywhere near as bad as i thought it would be.

i wish they had used their big vala episode to learn about her character history more instead of learning mostly trivial information, but what we got was alright. although i don't see this being a big lasting character development episode for her, more of a filler episode with possible bits and pieces (like athena) that will carry on in future eps.

on top of that i think the ep most likely came in short, which is why we got the extra long bike chase sequence. i believe they call it shoeleather? definitely could have been cut down a bit.

btw, was one of the thieves in the diner PDL?

cam wasn't that irritating to me this time either. i'm still not really liking the guy completely, but he does seem to be fitting in a bit better, and when he acts on impulse (like grabbing the bike) it does seem to be for a good enough reason, and i just hope they keep up with this.

teal'c. well. at least they gave him something to do, even if he didn't have many lines. you've gotta wonder how bad he is at memorising his lines considering they don't tend to give him many.

danel. well, they did give him some quality vala interaction, but for some reason i just don't buy into their relationship. i can't put my finger on it, so i'm just gonna leave it there for now.

SAM! i had the impression that when they were writing this for the most part they forgot about sam and then PDL just threw her a few lines when he realised she wasn't in the first half of the script. i know thats proabably inaccurate, but thats just the impression i got. she was just wallpaper for the most part, but real pretty wallpaper, who could act the socks off of any other wallpaper actor. probably not just the socks either!

anyway, when they finally did give her something to do, she was fantastic and amazing and wonderfully consistant as always.

thought the "pants" lines were funny too. (take that pantsgate thread!) nice to see sam really loosen up and express her sense of humour. she's obviously becoming more at ease with landry too, making the last comment when he was there.

i actually liked that sam made the "you earned it" comment to vala. sorry to go all camgry again briefly, but if you think about it, she's earned it more than cam did. she has been helping them, and she does seem to be trying to change. and i think with people like her, she needs that kind of encouragement, needs to see that her efforts are being noticed and appreciated, otherwise she'd be likely to revert to what's served her best over the years.

and i like that they are showing sam to be the kind and supportive person that we all know, love and aspire to be like. and its also true to her character that she would be the one really seeing the best in someone like vala, and the potential to be someone really worth knowing.

that is all. for now.

can't comment on the atlantis ep, cos i haven't seen it yet. in fact, i haven't bothered watching the last 3 or 4 atlantis eps. but i'll defo watch this one, and i'll catch up on the others.

and SunKrux, please stick around. i know we get all worked up sometimes and focus on the characters we don't like, but all we need is a continuous kick in the mikta. i for one would like for those who feel differently about the other characters here, to remind us that not all sam fans dislike certain other characters. sam fans can be fans of other characters too, and we should be.

i would welcome yours and anyone's opinions, even if they differ from mine, and especially if they differ from the norm. diversity and all that you know.

Comment

i ain't gonna ding ya. personally, i don't insult mitchell/vala to make me feel better about sam. i do it because i don't like them (or aspects of them). if it relates to sam/AT, i'm not going to censor myself when i write it here (e.g the Jolinar/leadership/motorcycle/wallpapering issues). i won't censor myself, but i will/do try to keep it on topic. going OT (or even OTT) on the subject is wrong, we've been over it before, and i can see how people would be offended. but could i request something (of scari, AD, etc, if Sunny isn't coming back)? before we bring out the big "I can't take this, I'm leaving" (which you have full right to do) guns, could you drop a "watch it, guys" post? at least until we establish just where that line is? you don't have to be extra nice 'n' gentle about, heck, curse me out if ya like and you're within the rules. cuz i honestly don't see what we did
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Oh, I take it no one is happy with the new episodes, I have not seen them yet, so I can't comment.

Thought I'd share a pic that I played with last night, it's a bit shippy, or is it? depends on your pov. Hope you like it.
            Spoiler:

Comment

Yeah the exterior shot of Jeanie's house is I think stock footage from Ascension. However I'm not a home were my DVDs are to check and see.

As for the episode itself. Well I found myself a little bored with the episode. I think Claudia did a great job with what was written for her. I don't have a problem with an episode to feature Vala, since she is a new full time character I think we do need to see a character development story for the character. However it just rang very flat for me having her work in a dinner. I know we have a couple Sam heavy episodes in the second half of the season so a few Sam light episodes are okay for me. I'm not a fan of the Daniel/Vala dynamic, but I don't care much for any shippy type stuff. I would have been surprised if we had seen Sam and/or Cam in uniform off base since in every other Earth based episode when they are off base Sam has been in civvies for all the action stuff. I like seeing them in something other than BDU or dress blues in episodes so the outfits were a nice change of pace. As for Cam taking off on the motorcycle and not Sam - well yes we have the backstory of Sam and motorcycles - However Cam in the hot head charging off with out the team so it was not out of character at all to me to see him take off. I do feel the editing was bad on the cycle exchange - we should have seen Cam on the bike.

Bottomline for me - S10 has been overall much better than S9 - much like overall S2 was better than S1 in my book. Memento Mori was acted well - it was just a weak script to me. Unfortunatly like in S9 when they did a Cam focus episode (need for development of new character) this Vala focused episode just rang flat. Of course in 10 years we have had some Sam focus/heavy episodes that have run flat as well due to the script. I have read were peole are calling this the worst episode ever and I would not say that - it will not go down as one of my favorites but I will also not mark it as the worst - but that is just my view.
              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                I missed the beginning of M&MM does anyone know of any screencaps?

How many you want Mandy??? Just the beginning?

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                  How many you want Mandy??? Just the beginning?

Spoiler:

The "stare down" was great.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Thanks JanSam I always like to see pics of Sam in her dress blues
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Thanks JanSam I always like to see pics of Sam in her dress blues
                      Personally, I'd rather see her out of them!
                      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Nice caps Sam!!! that is why I like you so much for your lovely caps lol
                        But amanda looks great in it

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          Personally, I'd rather see her out of them!
                          Darn TJ, how many times do you want me to post that pic for you
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Darn TJ, how many times do you want me to post that pic for you
                            My memory's a little rusty. I think I need a visual reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                              My memory's a little rusty. I think I need a visual reminder.
                              Ah, TJ you sure are a Demanda here you go
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

*sigh*

I watched that episode three times this week. I saw it on Sky One, Sky Two and then my DVDs arrived this morning. Yupp, nothing beats a Nekkid Carter.

Comment

Working...
                                X