Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Wow! I never thought it could happen. A neutrino that dense can float due to its own hot air!
    No green jello allowed, darnit!

You so WIN!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      Yes jckfan. I've already accepted the fact that, if Camelot on the Region 1 discs have MW and AT commentary, it shall be my downfall.
      Mine too.

Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        Yes jckfan. I've already accepted the fact that, if Camelot on the Region 1 discs have MW and AT commentary, it shall be my downfall.
        It's their evil plan, salt the mine with pure gold, so you don't see all the pyrite in the season mine
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Hi Folks,

TIME IS RUNNING OUT!

-> DEADLINE : OCTOBER, 2006 <-

SECOND LAST AT2 / THANK YOU CARD Reminder!

If you wish for your personal message and signature to appear on the Amanda Tapping
          THANK YOU FOR 10 YEARS OF SAM CARTER poster presentation to Amanda at AT2 (you don't have to be attending to have your message on the card!), please visit the following web link for more information.

IT'S EASY!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=43421

For those of you without scanners or unable to scan your writing into a computer, please simply forward your message to the email address below and I will place it into a handwriting font for the poster. You may also wish to include your local state/province/country for posterity in the note.

Pass on the good word, if you please, wherever you know there are fans of Sam and Amanda...

Cheers & Hugs,

minigeek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            If she does a bunch of commentaries I may weaken.
            Me too. That would make me buy it if nothing else. But if most of the commentaries are done by Peter "pottymouth" Deluise, count me out.

One thing I enjoy about AT's commentaries, is that 1) she usually does them with Martin Wood and he gives a lot of behind the scenes insight, 2) Amanda gives alot of behind the scene insight, plus character insight and 3) I just like hearing Amanda speak.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the Camelot commentary was good. Amanda was very, very sick when they were filming the space suit scenes The other good ones were with Joe Mallozzi, since he actually gave some good insight (Very interesting to hear how Joe mention that, if he had it his way, the Asgard Beams would be gone, and the Ori/Ancients would be gone. He also said something about how Paul Mullie had a very interesting idea to get rid of the Ori/Ancients that he, Paul and Allan were keen on, but Cooper would never go for).

Comment

amanda's and martin's are the most entertainng

want to listen to a 43 minute waste of time, i think it's the disclosure commentary. 43 mintues of peter and gary cracking each other up...and not muich else. I think they even admit that they really didn't even talk about the episode
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  Yeah, the Camelot commentary was good. Amanda was very, very sick when they were filming the space suit scenes The other good ones were with Joe Mallozzi, since he actually gave some good insight (Very interesting to hear how Joe mention that, if he had it his way, the Asgard Beams would be gone, and the Ori/Ancients would be gone. He also said something about how Paul Mullie had a very interesting idea to get rid of the Ori/Ancients that he, Paul and Allan were keen on, but Cooper would never go for).
                  really? ok, chalk up more respect points for joe because, in the case of asgard beams and ori/ancients i agree with him

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek

Hi Folks,

TIME IS RUNNING OUT!

-> DEADLINE : OCTOBER, 2006 <-

SECOND LAST AT2 / THANK YOU CARD Reminder!

If you wish for your personal message and signature to appear on the Amanda Tapping
                    THANK YOU FOR 10 YEARS OF SAM CARTER poster presentation to Amanda at AT2 (you don't have to be attending to have your message on the card!), please visit the following web link for more information.

IT'S EASY!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=43421

For those of you without scanners or unable to scan your writing into a computer, please simply forward your message to the email address below and I will place it into a handwriting font for the poster. You may also wish to include your local state/province/country for posterity in the note.

Pass on the good word, if you please, wherever you know there are fans of Sam and Amanda...

Cheers & Hugs,

minigeek
                    andi'll add to this. if someone doesn't have a scanner, pm me and i'll give you my snail mail addy

you can mail it to me and i'll scan it and e-mail it to MG

Just don't put it off too long, how about the end of sept, so that i can have plenty of time to get it done and to her

sigpic

Comment

Bummer about not getting rid of the Ori/Ancients. I don't like either. My respect for JM just went up. Is it just me or does JM look like Mojo(Adam Liebowitz), the FX head for BSG? Mojo's a blast if you see him at a con... Gah!!! I don't want to weaken! I'm making a point at this ...point! (I guess I'll just buy it used. That way no money of mine goes to those who don't deserve it IMO.

I think I'm go watch some Classic SG-1 now...

((Amanda)) I know you always give your best!

Suse
                      Yes, I know she isn't reading this
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I've always also felt that the Ori are too "super" to be dealt with believeably. Omnicient enemies are, by definition, implausible foes - the conflict would be moot given their omnicience. Somewhat like "Q" in the Star Trek TNG series, who was never actually made a true enemy for that very reason. The idea of the Ancients in the SG-1 universe was a neat one, but the Ori taint that cool idea, in my opinion. The notion of the Ancients (going all the way back to the first time we saw Oma in the ancient monastary could have been a fantasticical idea, were it not for the kitsch of the Ori "flip of the coin" that came afterward. But that's just MHO. Defeating the Ori would/will have to be Dea Ex Machina. Which is just what the Asgard beams are, too. Same vein of thought. I agree, AD, it is very interesting to hear that Joe said that.

geek (the absentee ... but trying to come back slowly!)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          andi'll add to this. if someone doesn't have a scanner, pm me and i'll give you my snail mail addy

you can mail it to me and i'll scan it and e-mail it to MG

Just don't put it off too long, how about the end of sept, so that i can have plenty of time to get it done and to her
                          ** HUGS **

-

Comment

I've always also felt that the Ori are too "super" to be dealt with believeably. Omnicient enemies are, by definition, implausible foes - the conflict would be moot given their omnicience. Somewhat like "Q" in the Star Trek TNG series, who was never actually made a true enemy for that very reason. The idea of the Ancients in the SG-1 universe was a neat one, but the Ori taint that cool idea, in my opinion. The notion of the Ancients (going all the way back to the first time we saw Oma in the ancient monastary could have been a fantasticical idea, were it not for the kitsch of the Ori "flip of the coin" that came afterward. But that's just MHO. Defeating the Ori would/will have to be Dea Ex Machina. Which is just what the Asgard beams are, too. Same vein of thought. I agree, AD, it is very interesting to hear that Joe said that.

not just too ominscient, for me, too REAL

the world is already full of folks that would willingly and gladly kill me because i'm the wrong religion and i wear the 'wrong' clothes

i live with that (even more so since i'm gonna be getting ona trans atlantic flight in a couple of months) and i don't find it entertaining

my second issue with the ori, they don't have a weakness and there's no way to 'beat' them short of killing them...which means we only beat them by becoming them

not very heroic if you ask me

sigpic

Comment

I think it's interesting (in a lip service sort of way) for Joe Mallozzi to make those comments about the Asgard beam, too. It's especially interesting given the fact that four of his most recent scripts--Ex Deus Machina, The Scourge, Camelot, and Counterstrike--all rely so very heavily on that magic blue beam of boredom. If you dislike the easy-out nature of the beaming tech, then why continue to make it so prominent in your scripts? Sorry, but that sounds like more bs to me.

As for the Ori/Ancients though, I've heard Joe Mallozzi make those comments before. I think they were in reference to how he liked writing the Lucien Alliance better than the Ori, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, I do agree with him on that one. The Ori/Ancients are a villain that would have worked great for a movie or miniseries, but lack the durability and versatility needed to be a continuing enemy week after week. I know that Joe is keen on the Lucien Alliance and that the writers were tired of writing the Goa'uld, but I don't really think that most of us fans were tired of watching the Goa'uld. I think it must be hard for the writers to accept that their very first (and second, if you count the replicators) villain was by far their best, even given how over-the-top with pomp and flair they tended to be. Despite the common evilness, every single Goa'uld can be different and unique. And they really were for eight years. So many episodes back then felt different because of the Goa'uld featured in them. The Ori, with all of their drab settings and monotone rhetoric, lack the individuality that made past episodes stand out. Apophis, Nirrti, Heru'ur, Yu, Cronos, Osiris, etc., all brought something different to the episodes they were in, and by having such a variety of opponents for SG-1 allowed the writers to give each member of the team a unique personal connection to a different villain.

I was going to write an omniscient paragraph (heh, heh ), but minigeek did it way better than I would have. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                                I think it's interesting (in a lip service sort of way) for Joe Mallozzi to make those comments about the Asgard beam, too. It's especially interesting given the fact that four of his most recent scripts--Ex Deus Machina, The Scourge, Camelot, and Counterstrike--all rely so very heavily on that magic blue beam of boredom. If you dislike the easy-out nature of the beaming tech, then why continue to make it so prominent in your scripts? Sorry, but that sounds like more bs to me.
                                I noticed that all the writers who did commentaries (JM, DK, AM etc) all commented on how different the final product turned out from the script. Television/Film is the domain of the directors, and they probably have more to do with how the product turns out than the person who wrote the original script. AM, for example, commented on how differently the scene in Off The Grid (where Mitchell escapes from the bad guys with no explanation) turned out from the script. He'd written it so there was just the one bad guy there, so it wouldn't seem as silly when the next scene he's suddenly free but the way it was shot there were about 15 men surrounding Mitchell. Which seems illogical, and was brought up in the episode thread here.

And the other problem they have, is if they suddenly stop using it what's the explanation? Would people say 'well why didn't they just beam out?'. They'd written themselves into a corner with that, but at least they've been setting up the beam out in advance now (ie The Scourge their plan was to get the outpost to let the Odyssey know they were there, Counterstrike had Sam working on the Ori ships shields to let them beam out). And apparently in the S10 midseason two-parter, they're coming up with a way to prevent the beams from working. Or Something.

Comment

Working...
                                X