Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    And you all know how I feel about Amanda. As far as I'm concerned, she makes earth a nicer place to live...just knowing there's someone like her who can light the world up with a smile or a giggle or a goofy expression.
    What a lovely and very fitting tribute.

Happy Birthday, Amanda!

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Happy Birthday Amanda

Here a few things for you to enjoy your birthday

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7096/sfn1.png
      http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5...sdonutsdg8.png
      http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9215/chipslq5.png
      Sorry guys only available in Canada
      Nuh-uh. We have them all here.

Happy Birthday Amanda!

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA!
        and to those who are lucky to celebrate on the same day!
        Must have been ESP though cause I made this....

but I'm not sure if this is the right picture for this rank...can anyone help me to verify?
        I'm also wanting to do a wall in the roughly the same format for Major and Lt Col but
        I can't remember when she put on Major...can anyone help me with this info?

Comment

Originally posted by AmberMoon
          HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA!
          and to those who are lucky to celebrate on the same day!
          Must have been ESP though cause I made this....

but I'm not sure if this is the right picture for this rank...can anyone help me to verify?
          I'm also wanting to do a wall in the roughly the same format for Major and Lt Col but
          I can't remember when she put on Major...can anyone help me with this info?
          *psssst...Captain is spelt "Captain" not "Captian."*

That looks like her as a Captain. The hair looks very "Captain Carter"-ish.

She was promoted to Major in Season 3...at the beginning of Fair Game and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel at the end of New Order in Season 8.

PS...I love this wall and can't wait for the others but can we see the rest of her shoulder??? The spelling thing and the shoulder thing are the only TWO things keeping me from making it my current wallpaper on my desktop. LOL

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            In case anybody didn't already see in the Fun and Games folder, Sam has won the Favorite SG-1 Character Tournament.

1st - Lt Col Samantha Carter
            2nd - Gen. Jack O'Neill
            3rd - Dr Janet Fraiser
            4th - Teal'c
            5th - Dr Daniel Jackson
            6th - Jacob Carter/Selmac
            7th - Gen. George Hammond
            8th - Bra'tac
            9th - Thor
            10th - Jonas Quinn
            11th - Col Harry Maybourne
            12th - Dr Rodney McKay
            13th - Sgt Walter Harriman
            14th - Ba'al
            15th - Replicarter
            16th - Sgt Siler (& his wrench)
            17th - Maj Paul Davis
            18th - Dr Bill Lee
            19th - Col Dave Dixon
            20th - Col Reynolds
            21st - Col Lionel Pendergast
            22nd - Heimdall
            23rd - President Hayes
            24th - Lya
            25th - Malcolm Barrett
            26th - Catherine Langford
            27th - Osiris/Sarah Gardner
            28th - Yu
            29th - Cassandra Fraiser
            30th - Col Chekov
            31st - Klorel/Skaara
            32nd - Fifth
            33rd - Lt Graham Simmons
            34th - Apophis
            35th - Col Makepeace
            36th - Rya'c
            37th - Martouf/Lantash
            38th - Lt Elliot/Lantash
            39th - Gen Hank Landry
            40th - Ernest Littlefield
            41st - Col Paul Emerson
            42nd - Richard Woolsey
            43rd - Nirrti
            44th - Oshu
            45th - General Vidrine
            46th - Lt Jennifer Hailey
            47th - Oma Desala
            48th - Camulus
            49th - Anubis
            50th - Herak
            51st - Ishta
            52nd - Heru'ur
            53rd - Loki
            54th - Amaterasu
            55th - Cronus
            56th - Garshaw
            57th - Chaka
            58th - High Chancellor Travell
            59th - Omac
            60th - Sokar
            61st - Amaunet/Sha're
            62nd - Tuplo
            63rd - Hathor
            64th - Narim
            65th - Sen. Robert Kinsey
            66th - Dr Carolyn Lam
            67th - Per'sus
            68th - Col Frank Simmons
            69th - Gerak
            70th - Vala Mal Doran
            71st - Zipacna
            72nd - Lt Col Cameron Mitchell
            73rd - Shaunac
            74th - Anise/Freya
            Yay for Sam!

And seriously-those two poor guys I highlighted in yellow up there. Ten years, and no promotions. Okay, Davis' first episode was Matter of Time-so eight years. Still! Show my Maj Davis some love!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
              What a lovely and very fitting tribute.

Happy Birthday, Amanda!
              It is true though, isn't it?

It's much more than Amanda's acting skills that drew me in, although she is an extremely gifted actress with quite an amazing range...she can breathe such life into the wide variety of characters she plays. It was learning that what you see really is what you get. She genuinely is a softhearted person who loves her friends and family passionately, doesn't have an inflated image of herself and has a heart for her fans. Her priorities are most certainly in order.

On top of that, she can cheer someone up by a small gesture or kind word or a silly joke or that delightfully infectuous laugh. And I'm not just adding the laugh thing because my giggle sounds like hers. *cheesy grin* Hurray for my fellow "chipmunk with machine gun" giggler!!!

Not to put her on a pedastal of course...she is human of course with human failings and problems...but she is truly rare and special and should be cherished and appreciated IMHO.
              Last edited by Uber; 28 August 2006, 08:09 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                Sorry this post is so very Off Topic, but I am absolutely in love with this at the moment and really wanted to share, also with the hopes of asking our resident Geologist if she knows any more detailed information about it.
                Spoiler:

Google Earth screencap

World Wind screencap

This has to be the single most stunning formation I have found so far on Google Earth and NASA World Wind (internet based satellite image programs covering the whole globe).

Latitude: 21.13697°
                Longitude: -11.30761°

The formation is called the Richat structure, and is located in the Sahara desert in Mauritania.
                It looks amazing from space, and there are some great highres satellite images.

Landsat Image
                Aster Image

It gets even more interesting when you look at the elevation.
                Spoiler:

World Wind screencap

Views of the Earth--Richat
                NASA/JPL
                The Richat Structure

The Richat structure was once thought to be an impact crater from a meteorite. It’s relatively flat middle and lack of shock-altered rock suggests otherwise. It’s also possible that it was formed by volcanic eruption, though there is no dome of igneous rock. The current theory is that it is formed by symmetrical uplift (circular anticline) and subsequent erosion.
                An anticline is basically rock layers folded to form a convex arch. Rocks in an eroded anticline are progressively older towards the centre of the fold.

Diagram of circular anticline

The ring structures are formed because of bands of erosion resistant quartzite, creating ridges, and inbetween are valleys of less-resisatant rock.

Unfortunately that’s all that I’ve managed to glean from doing some general searching, I would really like some more in-depth information but am not sure where to look.
                Astrogeo says: FIVE STAR post, deepspace! (But then what else *would* a geologist think of such a cool geo-post? )

And my first impression was - a structural dome. I haven't read about this one in particular, but we have several striking ones in the US - in places where there is little vegetation covering the ground so these cool geologic features stand out. The rings are layers of rock tilted and sticking out of the ground. I wouldn't have thought volcanic crater or meteor crater - the rings of rock would not look like they do in your wonderful pics from either a meteor impact or a volcanic explosion.

Structural domes can be caused by compressional tectonics or by an uplift 'pressure' from below - usually a magma chamber (which would cool into a pluton or batholith) or a salt dome (coming upwards because of its light density). Salt domes are common in places like Texas. The Black Hills of South Dakota are an example of a stuctural dome with a pluton in the center.

At any rate... very, very cool pics, Deepspace!
                Thanks so much for posting them...

... to bring it to the Sam Topic of the thread... I like what someone else said along the lines of Sam would definitely find it intriguing if she saw such a structural feature in the offworld photographs from the UAV.

And this is another pic that would have been something cool (and real) to throw into one of those UAV pics in an episode:

http://heritage.stsci.edu/1998/39/ngc3132/hotspring.gif

(Warning, very large pic - full screen size)

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Remembering ...

Ten years ago Sam Carter appeared out of the blue
                  Amanda brought her to life and won many fans too

Here was a woman who was new to sci-fi
                  Spunky and smart and one of the guys

Amanda did not make Sam into a bimbo
                  She played her straight and didn't put her in limbo

Sam was the real thing, she got down and dirty
                  She didn't waste screen time by being flirty

Something of Amanda was transferred to Sam
                  We all were the winners because of substance not glam

It was so great to see Sam Carter grow
                  Learning to lead, eating blue jello and becoming a hero

Now the show's ending, it was a great ride
                  Amanda's portrayal of Sam should only bring pride

May Amanda's fan base always stay true and her critics be few
                  Happy Birthday, Amanda! We're so glad you're YOU!
                  Wonderful poem, CG!
                  I am always impressed by your talent!
                  And I couldn't agree more with your words

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    And this is another pic that would have been something cool (and real) to throw into one of those UAV pics in an episode:

http://heritage.stsci.edu/1998/39/ngc3132/hotspring.gif

(Warning, very large pic - full screen size)
                    Wow astro, that pic looks like the Nox have built their own Stargate
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      *psssst...Captain is spelt "Captain" not "Captian."*

That looks like her as a Captain. The hair looks very "Captain Carter"-ish.

She was promoted to Major in Season 3...at the beginning of Fair Game and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel at the end of New Order in Season 8.

PS...I love this wall and can't wait for the others but can we see the rest of her shoulder??? The spelling thing and the shoulder thing are the only TWO things keeping me from making it my current wallpaper on my desktop. LOL
                      Let me go fix the spelling...you would think after spending 22+ years in the USAF I would know how to spell Captain! D'oh it's so embarassing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        Wow astro, that pic looks like the Nox have built their own Stargate
                        Chopingal also thought it looked like a Stargate! Beings that I know its geology (and find said geology *really* cool), I focussed on that...I hadn't thought of the similarities to the 'Gate... of course, it is big and round...and all blue in the middle... so after you folks pointed it out, I couldn't believe I missed it!

BTW, for anyone who is interested, this feature is called Grand Prismatic Spring and it's found in Yellowstone National Park in the US. The brown line on the left side of the pic is a boardwalk for viewers (so they aren't attempting to walk in boiling water... in order to see the cool stuff).

Comment

I was asked by a few folks to update my ratings graph and post the updated version.. so here it is...

and it now includes episodes 200 and Counterstrike

Comment

Good afternoon everyone...hope you all had a great day...going back to read the posts...((((Samandans))))...lifes good!!! And to stay on topic...Sam's a greatc character but Amanda's absolutely awesome!!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              i dunno. i rarely visit the site since it is kinda tough to navigate (and i'm usually busy bashing heads around here)
                              Ah...so it's not just me that has trouble navigating there...phew...that's a relief!!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                A bit OT, but with the JAG talk...I was home this AM and saw the ep. of JAG with Carmen Argenziano playing Mac's uncle. It made me think "I miss Jacob" and AT & CA's rapport. I loved in one of the commentaries when CA came on the screen AT said "Daddy!" Those convention reports about those 2 were so cool. Can anyone repost one of those CJ-AT photos for we Jacob deprived souls? (maybe just me? ) What? No Jacob icon? Time to get Hammond on the red phone to fix that.
                                Here is one for you

Spoiler:

You can find more here
                                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X