Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myblackrose
    Happy Birthday Deano!

ICAM gate gal... my favourite tv characters are all women who get things done, rather than lounge around in a sexy outfit waiting for the lead man to get home...

There's Sam, who is quite obviously Sam! Blows up suns, saves the planet repeatedly, all that good stuff.

Scully in the X-Files... I always found it ironic that the show presented such a strong, independent female star while paying Gillian less than David... I love Scully because she's not perfect; she's flawed like any other person, but she's smart, strong and she doesn't need Mulder to bail her out of problem situations. In fact she usually saves his six from some sort of trouble!

Mac from JAG. Again, not perfect, but she's got heaps of common sense and she's tough as nails.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager.

I think that younger girls need role models like these women, but sadly they don't appear in shows suitable for children most of the time. Out of all the shows I've mentioned, Stargate is the only one I'd show to a young child, and not even every episode at that.

The shows that I grew up watching didn't teach me that women could be smart and strong and stand on their own two feet. Basically I resorted to being a tomboy as a kid, because the presented image of 'girls' my age didn't allow for me to have the kind of traits that I wanted; adventurous, inventive, strong, smart, independent. It was easier to be a tomboy and act like one of the guys than to be a girl who wasn't a 'proper girl' i.e didn't play with dolls or want to dress in pink and play princess all day. Children aren't given the message that it's ok to be both! I think that's terribly sad... girls have to get through their teenage years and struggle through a load of media induced misconceptions about their weight, beauty and value as an individual and not half of a couple... then and only then can they actually figure out that they are a valuable, strong person.

I think it's incredibly important to have more female role models like Sam and Scully out there, showing that women aren't just designed to trot meekly behind the hero and come in handy when bait is needed for the over-lusting villain of the story... they are *equal* in ability to any man and they don't need to prove that to themselves or anyone else...

[/femenist rant]

Sorry... aheh... a subject I'm a bit wordy about I guess....
    amen to that!!

p.s...icons to come later tonight!!!

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
    My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
    My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
    My Stargate Videos
    It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Remembering ...

Ten years ago Sam Carter appeared out of the blue
      Amanda brought her to life and won many fans too

Here was a woman who was new to sci-fi
      Spunky and smart and one of the guys

Amanda did not make Sam into a bimbo
      She played her straight and didn't put her in limbo

Sam was the real thing, she got down and dirty
      She didn't waste screen time by being flirty

Something of Amanda was transferred to Sam
      We all were the winners because of substance not glam

It was so great to see Sam Carter grow
      Learning to lead, eating blue jello and becoming a hero

Now the show's ending, it was a great ride
      Amanda's portrayal of Sam should only bring pride

May Amanda's fan base always stay true and her critics be few
      Happy Birthday, Amanda! We're so glad you're YOU!
      That was gorgeous Jester .

Happy Birthday Amanda!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by myblackrose
        Happy Birthday Deano!

ICAM gate gal... my favourite tv characters are all women who get things done, rather than lounge around in a sexy outfit waiting for the lead man to get home...

There's Sam, who is quite obviously Sam! Blows up suns, saves the planet repeatedly, all that good stuff.

Scully in the X-Files... I always found it ironic that the show presented such a strong, independent female star while paying Gillian less than David... I love Scully because she's not perfect; she's flawed like any other person, but she's smart, strong and she doesn't need Mulder to bail her out of problem situations. In fact she usually saves his six from some sort of trouble!

Mac from JAG. Again, not perfect, but she's got heaps of common sense and she's tough as nails.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager.

I think that younger girls need role models like these women, but sadly they don't appear in shows suitable for children most of the time. Out of all the shows I've mentioned, Stargate is the only one I'd show to a young child, and not even every episode at that.

The shows that I grew up watching didn't teach me that women could be smart and strong and stand on their own two feet. Basically I resorted to being a tomboy as a kid, because the presented image of 'girls' my age didn't allow for me to have the kind of traits that I wanted; adventurous, inventive, strong, smart, independent. It was easier to be a tomboy and act like one of the guys than to be a girl who wasn't a 'proper girl' i.e didn't play with dolls or want to dress in pink and play princess all day. Children aren't given the message that it's ok to be both! I think that's terribly sad... girls have to get through their teenage years and struggle through a load of media induced misconceptions about their weight, beauty and value as an individual and not half of a couple... then and only then can they actually figure out that they are a valuable, strong person.

I think it's incredibly important to have more female role models like Sam and Scully out there, showing that women aren't just designed to trot meekly behind the hero and come in handy when bait is needed for the over-lusting villain of the story... they are *equal* in ability to any man and they don't need to prove that to themselves or anyone else...

[/femenist rant]

Sorry... aheh... a subject I'm a bit wordy about I guess....
        Great post myblackrose .
        For many years, when I was much much younger, before Stargate had even first aired, Scully was my favourite female character on tv. X-files was my favourite show for years, and at the time I was almost as obsessed with it as I am with Stargate now. I still hold a lot of respect for Gillian Anderson, because at the time that she was presenting a solid strong female character on science fiction, actresses were not being treated with as much fairness as they are now, I believe that Xfiles almost ended at one point because of the fact that Gillian was reieving such less pay than the male actors on the show?
        Anyway, so even though Xfiles has long since finished, and Stargate has filled the gap it left in my life, I'll always say that Dana Scully was one of the first strong, smart women that I remember while growing up.
        While Sam and Scully are very different characters, they both share a lot of the same strengths, neither fit into a stereotype, and they both happen to be played by very skilled but down to earth actresses, who give their characters substance.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
          Happy Birthday, Amanda!

Thanks for ten years of Sam.

Almost identical . And always the same gorgeous smile. Only difference is the direction she parts her hair!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I always liked Mac and Harm - second favorite "non-couple" next to Sam and Jack.

Some of us Royal Elder Elders grew up with another terrific actress, Diana Rigg, who played Emma Peele on the British series, "The Avengers". Dame Diana was a class act - brilliant. I'd love to see her and Amanda paired together - maybe a mother-daughter thing or some kind of association where they would be mystery writers who solved crimes, etc. Yes, that arc has been done a million times but not with these two classy and bright ladies.

A big welcome to all the new kids on the block! Samanda is a user-friendly kingdom - stick around and enjoy yourselves.

Jester
            I have heard my mum talk once about how much she admired the lead actress from The Avengers (a crime/mystery/investigator type show? ). I have never seen the show myself, but it sounds like she was another strong smart woman.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Some of us Royal Elder Elders grew up with another terrific actress, Diana Rigg, who played Emma Peele on the British series, "The Avengers". Dame Diana was a class act - brilliant. I'd love to see her and Amanda paired together - maybe a mother-daughter thing or some kind of association where they would be mystery writers who solved crimes, etc. Yes, that arc has been done a million times but not with these two classy and bright ladies.

Jester
              Oooh, cool idea CG. (Edit: I'm not old enough to have seen the Avengers in their original airings, but in reruns in the '70s. That may qualify me to be an old, ahem, wise hen. )
              Have you seen DR in the recent "Mrs. Bradley" mysteries--where she plays a flapperish detective? AT would be great as a detective of some sort. ( A better detective than in "Engaged to Kill" --but boy was it great to see her in another role. )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA! May you get all you wish for this year. Thanks for Sam Carter and your great personal example of how to stay "real."
              Last edited by jckfan55; 28 August 2006, 04:15 PM.

Comment

A bit OT, but with the JAG talk...I was home this AM and saw the ep. of JAG with Carmen Argenziano playing Mac's uncle. It made me think "I miss Jacob" and AT & CA's rapport. I loved in one of the commentaries when CA came on the screen AT said "Daddy!" Those convention reports about those 2 were so cool. Can anyone repost one of those CJ-AT photos for we Jacob deprived souls? (maybe just me? ) What? No Jacob icon? Time to get Hammond on the red phone to fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                  I have heard my mum talk once about how much she admired the lead actress from The Avengers (a crime/mystery/investigator type show? ). I have never seen the show myself, but it sounds like she was another strong smart woman.
                  'The Avengers' is the coolest show!!! 'The X-Files' was my obsession for so long, then when it went off the air in '02, I didn't have another show I watched...at all(except reruns of 'The Cosby Show' )...until Stargate in '05. I had a mini tv drought there! Oh, can you tell I like shows with strong female characters? Even Clair on 'Cosby'-a comedy-was a great female character!

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is just something about the woman...a lot of somethings I guess. The big thing with me is she seems like a truly genuine, down to earth person. So many times you admire an actor or actress, then somewhere along the line, you get disappointed in them. They aren't the person you thought they were or wanted to have as a role model. It's not like that with Amanda. I love her to pieces. She's normal and we can relate to her-and her to us. I love how she seems so friendly to fans at cons and such. Amanda is all these wonderful things and she doesn't seem to know it. There's no ego bigger than Texas-which she could have-she's that great. I want to meet her SO badly because of all the amazing stories I've heard. I know I wouldn't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                      I hope that there were plenty of sponsors for the walk Sunny. This problem needs funding as well as others.
                      It's run by the Susan G. Komen Foundation and the Philanthropic Fund (or some such) as well as having LaCroix, Motrin and New Balance as sponsers/partners.

In my area alone (I think although it might be the total so far for all the walks held so far here in the US) 6.9 MILLION US dollars were rasied by the walkers. So, yeah, I'd say there are enough sponsors and donators.
                      sigpic
                      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                        It's run by the Susan G. Komen Foundation and the Philanthropic Fund (or some such) as well as having LaCroix, Motrin and New Balance as sponsers/partners.

In my area alone (I think although it might be the total so far for all the walks held so far here in the US) 6.9 MILLION US dollars were rasied by the walkers. So, yeah, I'd say there are enough sponsors and donators.

That is a lot. You never hear the totals, unless it's during the usual telethon's an such.

Comment

Originally posted by Daivy
                          Hey Y'all I wanna tell ya I'm back from my vacation to Egypt (will post pictures very soon).

Oh one more thing:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA !
                          Daivy! Welcome back to Samanda!!

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                            That is a lot. You never hear the totals, unless it's during the usual telethon's an such.
                            It was mentioned in the closing ceremonies yesterday in my area. As I said, I don't know if that was what was raised in just my area or the total for all the walks held so far in the US and Canada.
                            sigpic
                            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              Oooh, cool idea CG. (Edit: I'm not old enough to have seen the Avengers in their original airings, but in reruns in the '70s. That may qualify me to be an old, ahem, wise hen. )
                              Have you seen DR in the recent "Mrs. Bradley" mysteries--where she plays a flapperish detective? AT would be great as a detective of some sort. ( A better detective than in "Engaged to Kill" --but boy was it great to see her in another role. )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMANDA! May you get all you wish for this year. Thanks for Sam Carter and your great personal example of how to stay "real."
                              Yes, exactly! Diana Rigg is now playing "the matron" and Amanda has been quoted as wanting to do a "period piece" so playing a 1920s sleuth in "Mrs. Bradley" would be a hoot.

Comment

Well, my kids wanted to wish Amanda a happy birthday, too. What's a birthday without a Stargate cake? (picture in spoilers)
                                Spoiler:

Sorry, it is a bit blurry.

Comment

Working...
                                X