No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As funny as I found the 200th ep, the Sci-Fi Inside 200th special had the funniest bit of the entire night.

Amanda clapping, "The men cheered, the women fainted and the children waved multi-coloured flags!" - HAHAHAHHAHA. That just totally cracked me up

Comment

Something interesting that I’m hoping to take part in over the next couple of months is a project called Stardust@home.

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

To give a bit of background, Stardust is one of many recent missions designed to study comets and asteroids. Nasa’s Stardust mission had two main goals in mind; to collect and return cometary dust particles from comet Wild 2 (pronounced Vilt 2) and samples of interstellar dust.

Comets are small irregularly shaped bodies composed of both grains and frozen gases, and are believed to mostly orbit in the Kuiper belt. They only enter the inner solar system when they are disturbed by the gravity of another passing object.
      Once they have entered the inner solar system, their orbits around the sun are usually highly elliptical. Because of this they repeatedly pass close to the sun before being swung back into deeper space. When a comet passes close to the sun it heats up to a point where it loses some of its material through the process of sublimation (sublimation is when a solid substance changes from a solid phase directly to a vapor phase without first melting into a liquid). After many of these encounters with the sun a comet loses most of its volatile materials, and therefore no longer generates a coma or dust trail that is usually formed from the escapig gases driving dust particles from the solid nucleus.
      Wild 2 was chosen as a target because it is still a relatively ‘fresh’ comet. Having only passed the sun a few times it still has most of its dust and gases.

Since launch in February 1999, the Stardust craft has made a seven year journey, looping three times around the sun using Earth for gravity assist. During it’s encounter with comet Wild 2 the craft flew in front of the nucleus and through the gases and dust surrounding it to collect samples.
      The craft also captured samples of interstellar dust from where it was recently discovered streaming into our solar system.

Both cometary and interstellar dust particles were captured in a substance called Aerogel. Aerogel is the lightest and lowest density solid known to exist. It is typically 50-99.5% air, yet can hold 500-4000 times its weight in applied force. Aerogel starts out as a gel made of silica (SiO2 Silica Oxide) which is what glass and quartz are made of. The gel has to then be supercrtically dried. Supercritical drying is a process in which liquid can be removed from a gel without causing the gel to collapse. The final solid has tiny nanopores filled with air, making solid Aerogel transparent and almost fog like.
      Aerogel was ideal for collecting samples as it is a very good insulator. On this mission both cometary and interstellar particles had to be captured at high velocity with minimal heating or other effects of physical alteration, as the aim was to return them to earth in as pristine condition as possible.
      When hypervelocity particles are captured in aerogel they produce narrow cone-shaped tracks, that are hollow and can be seen in the highly transparent aerogel by using a stereo microscope.

The stardust return capsule landed safely in the Utah desert in January this year. Since then scientists have already been analysing the cometary dust particles. Stardust’s collection paddle contained thousands of particles, most of which are less than 50 microns in diameter, but some grains are supposed to be visible to the unaided eye. What is surprising them at the moment is that they’ve identified numerous minerals that formed close to the sun, while according to what is currently believed about comets Wild 2 should be comprised of ingredients that came together from the farthest reaches of the solar system. So far minerals that have been detected include olivine, spinel, anorthite and pyroxene. One current theory is that they were first ejected outwards early in the solar system’s formation and have since returned to the inner solar system.

Cometary particles are larger and therefore easier to locate, whereas interstellar dust particles are only a few microns in diameter. Layers of aerogel have been scanned by high powered microscopes, and the images now have to be scrutinised for signs of particle tracks which will then allow scientists to locate the particles themselves. However, there is such a large quantity of images to work through that to examine them all would take many many years. In an attempt to reduce the predicted workload and time frame they are inviting the community to assist in examining the VM (Virtual Microscope) images via a program online. Once ‘possible’ particle tracks have been identified by members of the community, then that particular image will be re-examined by professional scientists to determine whether it is in fact a particle track.

The project Stardust@home has only been open for a couple of weeks so far but already people have been finding possible tracks. I have been following the Stardust mission for a while now, so I’m kind of excited about the prospect of possibly being involved in this, even in a very small way.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Okay. I HAD to do this. Episode 200 spoiler GIF:

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Lol me too! I was giggling like an idiot over that! No idea why, but it was incredibly cute. I love the way the woman's mind works

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          As funny as I found the 200th ep, the Sci-Fi Inside 200th special had the funniest bit of the entire night.

Amanda clapping, "The men cheered, the women fainted and the children waved multi-coloured flags!" - HAHAHAHHAHA. That just totally cracked me up
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
            Lol me too! I was giggling like an idiot over that! No idea why, but it was incredibly cute. I love the way the woman's mind works
            Me three! I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at that one. Actually, a lot of Amanda's comments and expressions in the special totally cracked me up. And I like how you said that, Myrth.

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            Very cool, Über, thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

http://uberamandafan.com/assets/graphicart/cheering.gif

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                We almost crashed the thread a few minutes ago! I guess a lot of people without Nielsen boxes are watching those repeats, and are just now posting their reactions.....

Of course, I guess the West Coast feed was two hours later than ours, so maybe that's wht it reflects.

Anyway, the thread still appears to be a little unstable. Look how many unread PMs it says I have:

LOL!!!
                Is that for real?? Do you really have that many PM's?? I didn't think you could store that many...holy hannah!!!
                BTW...Niki said you said to say hi...at the s/j ship thread...she was posting while I was at work...thanks...hi right back at ya!!! Nik was amazed at how many people were posting and how quickly the posts were coming...so was I!!! I couldn't stay in here last night coz I kept getting a message saying the server was too busy...try again later...couldn't get back so now I have heaps to catch up on!
                Thanks for all the spoilers... (((sg1 fanintn))) ...you're the best!!!
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  life's too short to stress over stuff you can't change
                  Amen to that!! See that little smily face...that's me everyday...well most days anyway!!!
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Night all...looks like i won't be able to see the 200th ep for at least another day or two...well I guess that's better than waiting til next year!!!
                    Take care everyone and be safe!!!
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Wasn't Amanda fabulous in that scene? She was only onscreen for a few seconds but to my mind she owned it from the moment she appeared!
                      Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Ooh über that really looks great!! Amanda is so great in that one...it is just to funny to see her like that lol
                        here have some umlauts über, I know how much you like them ¨¨¨¨¨

Comment

I just had to say Sam totally OWNED the 200 show, from the blinking in the Star-trek scene, the Cam/Jack father joke, and im betting 100% she had that bit in the puppet scene about the reproductive organs put in - we all know she hated that bit!! - and of course the Dren - fargate scene - priceless!!

Even the bit in the invisible Jack scene - the way her and Daniel were talking on the chairs- just the way they were interacting thats 10 years of friendship right there.

I betting she had serious fun doing that show, and it paid off!! All hats of to A.T!!
                          Its not about whos right or wrong its about the debate!

Comment

Who else is voting in the Favourite SG-1 Character Tournament? It's down to the final five now, votes for two characters per round.

It'd be great if Sam won.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27731

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              Who else is voting in the Favourite SG-1 Character Tournament? It's down to the final five now, votes for two characters per round.

It'd be great if Sam won.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27731
                              How the heck am I supposed to pick two of the following for elimination?
                              Gen. Jack O'Neill
                              Lt Col Samantha Carter
                              Teal'c
                              Dr Daniel Jackson
                              Dr Janet Fraiser
                              Thats like.... impossible.

Edit: you are supposed to vote for the ones you want Elminated right? Not for those you want to stay. Man, seriously, with the 5 remaining it is just about impossible.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                How the heck am I supposed to pick two of the following for elimination?
                                Gen. Jack O'Neill
                                Lt Col Samantha Carter
                                Teal'c
                                Dr Daniel Jackson
                                Dr Janet Fraiser
                                Thats like.... impossible.

Edit: you are supposed to vote for the ones you want Elminated right? Not for those you want to stay. Man, seriously, with the 5 remaining it is just about impossible.
                                Yes, you vote for the ones you want eliminated.

As far as choosing goes, I knew at the beginning of the game that Sam (obviously) Jack and Teal'c would be the three I would never vote for if there was another option so it wasn't too bad.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X