Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Yeah I rewatched it tonight several times. Once in slow motion. Eiyeee! I'm not sure if that's Amanda or a stunt double but it doesn't look like a fun ride down.

Just to lighten the mood a bit tonight, I've uploaded a clip from Uninvited onto youtube.com. It's my favorite part.

King Kong
    Yay! Thanks Kat!

I've gotta say that I've pretty much watched the "King Kong" scene into the ground. It's my fave, too.

But, as a result, I got to see all of the little nuances of the scene that helped make it so enjoyable for the team fan in me.

Spoiler:

Like, when Vala says, "Care to lay odds on that," she sticks her tongue out playfully... Or when Teal'c and Sam are doing their little stare down, and Cameron and Vala look from one to the other in unison... Or when Sam slams her hands down and tells them that she was bluffing, and both Vala and Cameron lean back and groan in unison.

Seriously, if nothing else for this season, even though I've come to terms with the fact that the real Stargate SG-1 is gone, the various character beats that they've injected into the past few episodes are almost enough to keep me watching.

Comment

Yeah I rewatched it tonight several times. Once in slow motion. Eiyeee! I'm not sure if that's Amanda or a stunt double but it doesn't look like a fun ride down.

Just to lighten the mood a bit tonight, I've uploaded a clip from Uninvited onto youtube.com. It's my favorite part.

King Kong
      I LOVE that clip. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

And did I mention how much I love it?

I love the character beats between them all but especially Sam and Teal'c. Seriously, PLEASE PTB, let's have more Sam and Teal'c character beats!!!!! Oh and Sam and Vala too...those two are a goldmine of character moments waiting to be mined.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

King Kong
        Thanks Kat...that was brilliant...
        Spoiler:
        I loved the way Sam chuckled when she won...I think it was more of an Amanda moment rather than a Sam moment...and the look Sam gave Teal'c...you know the saying...if looks could kill!! Of course Vala was an absolute riot...she's great!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

I love the character beats between them all but especially Sam and Teal'c. Seriously, PLEASE PTB, let's have more Sam and Teal'c character beats!!!!! Oh and Sam and Vala too...those two are a goldmine of character moments waiting to be mined.
          Oh yeah...I couldn't agree more...that was a really great scene...very natural and fun!!
          Night all...take care and be safe!!

"Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

King Kong
            Great clip and great Sam moment - thank you for posting!
            sigpic
            Women of the Gate LJ Community.
            My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              And I wish that they'd written Mitchell as having some old rattletrap of a car, something small, two doors... something that kept falling apart and breaking down - something with a dilapidated paint job- but you could tell that it *once* used to be cool... - this car would have *character*... lots and lots of *character*, even though it was never a muscle car or such. Maybe it's the first car he ever bought... maybe while in college or high school... he now considers it his 'good luck charm' or some such...
              That could actually have been a pretty sweet idea. Maybe he and his dad could have had almost a ritual about working on it whenever they get the chance.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                You'll hafta do better than that, folks.

I only discovered that Sam was an AJ because AT said so in an interview. I would never have come to that conclusion from watching her as she is portrayed on the show.

(BTW, this is in no way a poor reflection on either AT or SC, but on the PTB who IMO, only tell us rather than show us that AT is an AJ - whoo! Alphabet soup!)

C'mon, civilian "problem-with-heights" Daniel jumped out of the plane just as easily as Sam did. And Sam didn't give a whoop of joy, Jack didn't have to give her an "easy there, you crazy AJ" warning or anything that could have easily been written into the script which might have hinted at Sam's need for thrills. There was nothing in her jump to distinguish her from any of the others - aside from Teal'c, who thought the humans were all equally crazy.

As for thrill seeking, or Adrenaline rushs, I dunno; it seems to me that too much planning just sucks the thrill right out of it. Adrenaline junkies always seek bigger and more dangerous ways to get their rush and they are usually pretty enthusiastic about it. And when an AJ does not get her/his fix they can get pretty antsy, too. And I just don't see Sam that way. That's why she felt she "really had nothing else to do" when, in Ascension, she was given down time. Seems to me that a thrill seeker would have jumped at the chance to take her bikes to the salt flats in Utah or something.

I'm not saying that things don't thrill Sam - she loves tech and a good mystery involving tech and she'd make a damm good detective, too, IMO. But an AJ has to have certain personality traits and they have to be shown doing certain things to be convincing on tv, and Sam just doesn't come across, to me, as that sort of person.
                I'm with you, Gracie. I was surprised by Amanda's comment that Sam was an adrenaline junky. I had never perceived her to be one based on what was shown on the show. I saw her as very determined to prove herself to the boys, but not someone who took risks for the sake of a thrill. To my mind, she really doesn't have the personality type to be an AJ.

Mitchell, on the other hand, I believe.

Interesting, though, how so many people perceive Sam differently.

My LJ

Comment

mitch's car screams 'adrenaline junkie'

course it also screams 'me male, see how big and nice my *cough* car *cough* is'

as to sam...you know i can see her taking some thrills. finagling her way into a jet flight, taking those mountain curves a bit too fast and things like that

i do think some of it comes from her job. when you're in situatins like the teams are, you DO get an adrenaline rush. and thenyou have to come down off that adrenaline. and even if the situation isn't 'bad' as in not violent just exciting, you still get addicted to that adrenaline. And i can see her wanting or needing that (nothing can cure a bad mood/down day faster than a bit of risk)

I don't think she seeks thrills just to kill time, but i do think she does to have fun or to 'feel alive' or to work off her frustrations from a bad day at the office
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think they are both adrenaline junkies. Sam is just wiser than Mitchell. She doesn't put others at risk.
                    Spoiler:
                    Off the Grid
                    At the risk of being called sexist, I think the reason Mitchell is more reckless may be too much testosterone. Again, guys I said too much testosterone. I am not trying to imply that all men behave recklessly, so don't get too angry.

By the way, I personally like Mitchell. I even like him when he messes up, because the new guy should mess up sometimes. It would have annoyed me if he had been the perfect soldier from day one, since our own beloved originals have messed up on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Me too!

Only...what exactly does King Kong have to do with it all?

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        You'll hafta do better than that, folks.

I only discovered that Sam was an AJ because AT said so in an interview. I would never have come to that conclusion from watching her as she is portrayed on the show.

(BTW, this is in no way a poor reflection on either AT or SC, but on the PTB who IMO, only tell us rather than show us that AT is an AJ - whoo! Alphabet soup!)

C'mon, civilian "problem-with-heights" Daniel jumped out of the plane just as easily as Sam did. And Sam didn't give a whoop of joy, Jack didn't have to give her an "easy there, you crazy AJ" warning or anything that could have easily been written into the script which might have hinted at Sam's need for thrills. There was nothing in her jump to distinguish her from any of the others - aside from Teal'c, who thought the humans were all equally crazy.

As for thrill seeking, or Adrenaline rushs, I dunno; it seems to me that too much planning just sucks the thrill right out of it. Adrenaline junkies always seek bigger and more dangerous ways to get their rush and they are usually pretty enthusiastic about it. And when an AJ does not get her/his fix they can get pretty antsy, too. And I just don't see Sam that way. That's why she felt she "really had nothing else to do" when, in Ascension, she was given down time. Seems to me that a thrill seeker would have jumped at the chance to take her bikes to the salt flats in Utah or something.

I'm not saying that things don't thrill Sam - she loves tech and a good mystery involving tech and she'd make a damm good detective, too, IMO. But an AJ has to have certain personality traits and they have to be shown doing certain things to be convincing on tv, and Sam just doesn't come across, to me, as that sort of person.

I think you're still equating rashness with thrill seeking. And I think they are not the same thing. There may be some thrill seekers/adreniline junkies who are rash, but it does not logically follow that all are.

A person can be more than just a thrill seeker-entire personalities are not defined by one trait. Sam is a soldier first-jumping out of a plane in order to go on a secret mission into a country where they're really not all that welcome is hardly the time, for someone who is straight-laced and bound by the rules as Sam, to be jumping in glee and need a quelling look from her CO.

I agree with Dem as well-you don't just jump off a building without planning it out in advance; you don't snowboard down K2 on a whim-no matter what an adreniline junkie you may be. Either that or you're not an AJ for very long.

Getting back to the beginning of this discussion-which was that tptb have shown more of Mitchell's thrill seeking side than Sam's, I still disagree. I do think they've shown Sam's thrill seeking side better than Mitchell's. I don't see where they've shown us any of Mitchell's. They've shown us rash behavior. And they've had Mitchell tell of possible explainations for it (I'm a thrill seeker, When you almost die, like I did, you believe you can do anything.) but they haven't shown anything that points to thrill seeking. They've shown hyperactive-that I would believe.

Comment

I've felt that Sam is an AJ, they may not show what she does, but I think after a long day at the SGC, she goes home, changes into her leathers get her bike out and hits the road. When she gets to one of those less travelled roads she puts the pedal to the metal (not sure if this applies to bikes ) and just speeds down the highway, hence the speeding tickets which could also be Sam's way of meeting a nice handsome cop. You may think well using a less travelled road (highway) doesn't make her an AJ, but remember, Sam is only willing to risk her own life, not others

On another note, it's the 3'd anniversary of the great black out of 2003, I was wondering how many Samandans were affected by it? I was and I'm pretty sure Deejay must have been too
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Wow! Less than 50 posts away from the big 50,000!
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                              Me too!

Only...what exactly does King Kong have to do with it all?
                              Laf, sorry it's just something Vala says that I found amusing. Guess I should have just said Poker Game.

Comment

Laf, sorry it's just something Vala says that I found amusing. Guess I should have just said Poker Game.
                                Yea poor Deejay was waiting for King Kong to show up
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X