No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay...I confess. I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Of course I could have done without the
    Spoiler:
    pimping/Jackification of Mitchell. So, he's Special Ops now and loves his Playstation? How...interesting. The leadership thing wasn't as painful as I thought it would be but they're still getting it wrong. Mitchell didn't reunite SG-1. Vala and Daniel did by inadvertently letting the Ori know of our existence.

I liked a few of the character beats between Landry and Mitchell. I liked learning more about Landry's background. I hated the US political dig...those are never a good idea regardless of which political figure is getting "zinged." It just feels out of place but then 99.9% of Mitchell's one liners feel that way anyway. I will say I loved the duck call conversation...but that's due largely to Beau's playing that so straight and Ben's looking as though he's fighting himself to not laugh.

But seriously. Sam. In command. Sitting at the head of the conference table. Giving orders. Seeing a problem. Setting to figuring it out by sending out a team to do recon. Realizing what the problem is and laying out the strategy to contain the monster. Leading one of the teams to track it (them) down.

And then there's Sam with Vala and Sam with Teal'c and Sam with Teal'c and Vala. Sam winning poker. Sam teasing Teal'c. Sam teasing Vala.

And then of course there's Vala and Teal'c and their chemistry. That was great! *considers actively shipping for them*

Okay...let's face it. The story idea was fairly cliche with a "it's all our fault" twist...which, on this show, is also cliche. What made this thing work were the character beats and seeing how completely at ease Sam is in a command position.

And we got a HOLY HANNAH out of Sam!!! The first in like HOW many years?!?? It came out really naturally too.

Except of course her aversion to sitting in "the chair." I loved her warning Vala off of setting her feet on the desk.

So this one for me was all about the character beats and seeing Sam at her best...giving orders, formulating a plan of attack, relaxing and joking around with the others and blowing a freaky monster away.

All in a day's work.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
      They did (uninvited)
      Spoiler:
      talk but Landry didn't say he was promoting Mitchell over Sam..Yippie!!!!! I was holding my breath through the whole conversation . All Landry said to Mitchell was that he (Mitchell) got SG-1 back together and that he had to keep them that way.
      Spoiler:
      Yeah. It was like you could have chosen any team you wanted, you made it your personal mission to be on SG-1, you wanted to get them back together, you wanted to learn from the best. Don't complain-your job is to keep them together and defeat the Ori. Yea Landry! I could tolerate Mitchell, and maybe understand him a bit more.
      P.S. I really liked the end. Action Sam! P-90's everywhere. *sighs happily* And she said HOLY HANNAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Spoiler:
        Sam was absolutely LOVELY at the end. We got to see that genuine smile, it's so pretty. Also, the Sam/Vala interactions were good. Vala was a bit annoying, but everyone else seemed to think so too! And I'm telling ya, I love how Sam said Holy Hannah! Reminded me of old times.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
          Spoiler:

And this is really twisted, but I might be a Vala/Teal'c shipper. Did you see them in this ep? It's better than Daniel/Vala. But Sam/Jack is my ship...I might try and stick with that.
          I actually like Vala and Teal'c together.
          Spoiler:
          He doesn't put up with her nonsense, and she seems to drop her act around him after a bit. The change in her tone when she told him she was fine after the grenade was really clear to me. She was normal there. I liked it.

Originally posted by Skydiver
          lessee

Spoiler:

1. jack has to have two cabins. minnesota also does not have elk or black bear. also they said silver springs...which is up the road from denver.

2. AMEN. SAfety orange is your friend kids. they ALL should have been wearing it

3. yes, those stupid desert boots. can y'all at least scrape up soem black spray paint or spats for them???

4. again, different cabin

5. it was funny if a bit too modern day

and i agree, vala needs to be told to shut up. They're indulging her too much. it was very unrealistic that no one said 'stuff it' to her

and i did LOVE the poker scene, along with the sam/teal'c bits. very refreshing and nice
          Heh.

Spoiler:

1. Jacks two cabins are identical outside, right down to the same branch woven porch chair. Man, who knew Jack was so obsessive/compulsive?

2. Especially when tromping around in the woods with dozens of idiots with guns. Mitchell was wearing brown, for crying out loud! And Landry was going duck watching in camo.

3. It would be so easy to use the right boots. Sigh.

At least Sam wouldn't let Vala put her feet on the desk. And I wouldn't say indulgent, exactly. Not everyone. Just not direct enough-they were all pretty much clearly annoyed with her time and again. But Vala seems the type that needs to be called out clearly and directly. None of this subtle, hope she gets the message stuff.

OH! Right LAD-I meant to mention that in my original post.
          Spoiler:
          Holy Hannah!
          Another rewind and watch over scene for me!

Comment

as to the cabin

Spoiler:

ok, so yeah, they are using the exact same set and moving it 4 states over to colorado instead of minnesota

but hey, at least SOMEONE bothered to mapquest it and figure out that you simply can't go from colorado to minn in a weekend. so they get points for FINALLY getting thier heads out of htier tushes and doing some research
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Here' a few photos from tonight's episode...

Spoiler:

I have to admit there was a lot of Sam smiling tonight. That made me happy.

Comment

I really enjoyed the episode tonight! Not perfect, but some nice spots. It's on again...gonna watch!
                NO FAIR!! I'm still waiting to watch it and you're watching it again

I'm bored with waiting so I decided to visit GW. VERY very dangerous because I am trying to avoid those rotten little spoiler buttons.

* must not touch spoiler button ... must not touch spoiler button ... must not touch spoiler button ... *

Nobody seems to be in open revolt so I'm taking that as a good sign that my paranoia was unecessary

I'm leaving now - those spoiler buttons are calling my name

* must not touch spoiler button ... must not touch spoiler button ... must not touch spoiler button ... *
                -

Comment

I have to say, as someone pointed out last week, Vala is much more tolerable when Daniel isn't around. I'd much rather see Sam and Vala or Teal'c and Vala scenes than the Daniel/Vala variety act. The last 2 episodes have felt nicely balanced, too. Even with all the Landry scenes tonight, it didn't feel like anyone was left out. Good to know that the writers can come up with enough for five characters to do if they want.

NC

Comment

Wow, I've gotta say that I'm impressed by the reviews so far. It's actually got me waaay less apprehensive about the whole thing. And I value the opinions of all of you 1000x more than anyone else.

Now, I must note some irony (honestly, not to get into Mitchell bashing or TPTB bashing or anything)... And thanks for transcribing that particular convo, Kat.

Spoiler:

Now, I find it very funny that they built this conversation around Mitchell's state of mind. It was a nice "full circle" approach to his behavior last year. It almost makes it sound like his behavior was intentionally irrational...

... Riiiight.

Again, not to bash, I just find it funny that they did that, because that new explanation/characterization of Mitchell fits right in with the whinging that went on about his character last season. And, as sorry as I am to say this, I honestly don't think they would've made that sort of connection on their own with the likes of the "I thought I could do anything" line had it not been for the senseless open criticism about him.

But that's just my opinion, of course. Kindler could've recognized this very lunacy all along. Who knows?

I'm looking forward to seeing the ep in 20 minutes and counting.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                      Wow, I've gotta say that I'm impressed by the reviews so far. It's actually got me waaay less apprehensive about the whole thing.

Now, I must note some irony (honestly, not to get into Mitchell bashing or TPTB bashing)... And thanks for transcribing that particular convo, Kat.

Spoiler:

Now, I find it very funny that they built this conversation around Mitchell's state of mind. It was a nice "full circle" approach to his behavior last year. It almost makes it sound like his behavior was intentionally irrational...

... Riiiight.

Again, not to bash, I just find it funny that they did that, because that new explanation/characterization of Mitchell fits right in with the whinging that went on about his character last season. And, as sorry as I am to say this, I honestly don't think they would've made that sort of connection on their own with the likes of the "I thought I could do anything" line had it not been for the senseless open criticism about him.

But that's just my opinion, of course. Kindler could've recognized this very lunacy all along. Who knows?

I'm looking forward to seeing the ep in 20 minutes and counting.
                      Spoiler:
                      Hum...yeah. As I watch some of his scenes tonight, I was thinking "Have TPTB been at GW? Have they heard our complaints?" It seems like they tried to address it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                        I have to say, as someone pointed out last week, Vala is much more tolerable when Daniel isn't around. I'd much rather see Sam and Vala or Teal'c and Vala scenes than the Daniel/Vala variety act. The last 2 episodes have felt nicely balanced, too. Even with all the Landry scenes tonight, it didn't feel like anyone was left out. Good to know that the writers can come up with enough for five characters to do if they want.

NC
                        yes, vala is better without daniel

we'll just have to wait for next week, or the week after to see if she reverts to the nympho sexpot around him or if she stays 'normal'
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I figured this thread would be more alive with
                          Spoiler:
                          Sam in command tonight. I think she did a great job. It's so funny she'd sit in Landry's chair in the briefing room, but not in his office! But Sam was definitely competent and in charge tonight. More like the old Sam. And the end was just priceless.

Comment

It was almost like they heard us, cared and responded.....

I mean.....
                            Spoiler:
                            Sam in charge of the SGC in the General's absence. Cam talking about how he realizes he still has a lot to learn and that he's not really in command.....nice.....

Now, if they'll just do something REAL for the Sam/Jack Shippers among us, I can be happy.....

...I can even take an AU wedding if it provokes a REAL discussion or advance in the relationship between Sam and Jack.....

Oops! Sorry.....wrong thread!

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Yeah. It was like you could have chosen any team you wanted, you made it your personal mission to be on SG-1, you wanted to get them back together, you wanted to learn from the best. Don't complain-your job is to keep them together and defeat the Ori. Yea Landry! I could tolerate Mitchell, and maybe understand him a bit more.
                              P.S. I really liked the end. Action Sam! P-90's everywhere. *sighs happily* And she said HOLY HANNAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Oh, I've really missed
                              Spoiler:
                              Sam saying "Holy Hannah!

Comment

I really enjoyed tonight's episode.
                                Spoiler:
                                Sam in charge!!!!!Yeah!!!! I liked the way the leadership of SG1 was handled. I'd prefer a clear cut Sam is the leader, but we aren't going to get that. As for the lack of a clear leader, I think it has to do with Landry's leadership style. He seems to be a buddy leader vs. the strong leader that we had in Hammond and O'Neil. That difference in leadership styles is a bit annoying, but it allows for the whole co-leadership thing. Let's face it, we were lucky to get co-leadership. If there had been a clear cut leader, I think we'd have lost completely. I loved the Sam and Vala scenes, and the Sam/Teal'c scenes were excellent. I want more of this type of interaction between all the characters. The poker scene rocked! It kind of reminded me of the pool scene in Upgrades. Good episode!

Comment

Working...
                                X