Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    That's one of the things I really love about Sam's character, she defied the stereotypes.

She was extremely intelligent and a brilliant scientist without being either a geek or arrogant about her achievements. Sam has, among other things, successfully integrated the stargate with human technology, saved the planet from being sucked through a black hole, figured out how to neutralize the technology of invading aliens, blew up a sun and flew an asteroid through Earth, but when was the last time we heard her go on about what she had accomplished? When was the last time she bragged about having saved everybody on the planet several times over?

As characters go, Sam is an amazing creation; a soldier, a scientist, a leader, and a hero as well as being a loyal and devoted friend and a person who, I for one, have enjoyed getting to know through the show.

Yay! Post 3,500!
    Excellent post! I agree 100 percent! I love the way Sam was written originally, but I don't think she would have ever really come to life without Amanda's dedication to detail.

On the dues topic, does laughing at the late night jokes count as paying my dues? If so, I'm very well caught up! You guys are a riot!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
      Excellent post! I agree 100 percent! I love the way Sam was written originally, but I don't think she would have ever really come to life without Amanda's dedication to detail.

On the dues topic, does laughing at the late night jokes count as paying my dues? If so, I'm very well caught up! You guys are a riot!
      Consider yourself all paid up
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
        Call me obtuse (and, Heaven knows, I'm no great fan of S8-10) but even the supposedly calamitous numbers for S10 represent a greater number of households tuning in than for S6 & S7. Also, as more households get cable, the ratings points themselves become diluted. No, I think # of households is the money number here (to say nothing of ancillary sales). What surprises me is that the show didn't take a bigger hit, on average, when RDA left (apparently taking .3 million households with him).

As for the almost half a million who have "ankled" between S9 and S10, maybe they're as bored with the Ori as I am. Maybe full-time Vala isn't getting it done for them. Maybe they got tired of waiting for the new formula to settle into place. Maybe none of the above. Who knows? But while S6 & S7 were clearly superior, IMO, as many as a million households appear to disagree.

P.S.: As relative as all this is, I see that no S8-10 episode has hit the Marianas Trench ratings depth plumbed by S7's Enemy Mine. Though we might be getting close ...
        Yes, but what people also have to take into consideration is the fact that in S6 the series switched from Showtime to the SCI-FI network, so not only was on in a new time slot, it was also seen on a totally different channel. I have no clue if the ratings dropped at all during this time, because I didn't pay attention to ratings back in 2002 nor can I find any information regarding the ratings for S1-S5.

However, I do know that the SCI-FI network was launched in 1992 and I believe Farscape was added to its line-up on March 19th, 1999 after premiering on the USA network on March 14th, 1999. According to what I have read, the first two seasons of Farscape aired at on Friday night at 8 PM EST with repeats each Saturday at 2pm. In its third season, the network moved Farscape to it's new 9pm timeslot and during the course of its first three years, the Farscape series helped to nearly double the SCI-FI network’s core audience, experiencing a 40% jump in viewer ship between its first and third seasons ¾ with over 70% of those new viewers being women. So this leads me to believe that the SCI-FI network was still trying to built a core audience base during this time.

Then in the summer of 2002, the SCI-FI network picked up the Showtime original series, Stargate SG-1 in its 6th season and placed into the 9pm time slot, moving Farscape to a new 10pm timeslot opposite USA's Monk.

During the first nine weeks of season six the shows received the following ratings:

Stargate SG-1 - "Redemption - Part One"......1.8
        Stargate SG-1 - "Redemption - Part Two"......1.7
        Stargate SG-1 - "Descent"...........................1.4
        Stargate SG-1 - "Frozen".............................1.7
        Stargate SG-1 - "Nightwalkers"....................1.7
        Stargate SG-1 - "Abyss"..............................1.5
        Stargate SG-1 - "Shadow Play"....................1.5
        Stargate SG-1 - "The Other Guys"................1.7
        Stargate SG-1 - "Allegiance"........................1.9

Farscape - "Crichton Kicks"...............................1.6
        Farscape - "Sacrifice".........................................1.3
        Farscape - "Resurrection"...................................1.2
        Farscape - "Lava's A Many Splendored Thing"...
        Farscape - "Promises"........................................1.1
        Farscape - "Natural Election"..............................1.2
        Farscape - "John Quixote"..................................1.1
        Farscape - "I Shrink Therefore I Am"..................1.1
        Farscape - "A Prefect Murder"............................1.2

During this time the average difference between SG-1 and Farscape was less than 400,000 viewers.

Seeing as I was not a viewer of Farscape during the time of its cancellation, I can only speculate as to why it was cancelled; however, I found this comment very interesting:

Farscape's head writer-producer David Kemper seemed to hint in a recent radio interview that this was a factor, saying, "We [the creators of the show] are responsible [. . .] for it being cancelled, in a wonderful way. We didn't want to make it boring and bland."

So what does all this boil down to? Well it means that while the amount of people watching SG-1 was much lower in S6 & S7 than it appears to be in S10, there were also much less people watching the SCI-FI network as a whole and Stargate’s ratings continued to increase dramatically over the next three years. Another thing I think people should take into consideration is the fact that Farscape’s timeslot was also changed during this time and they were also forced to compete with USA’s MONK which is basically what has happened to Stargate this season. The biggest differences I can see between what happened to Farscape and what is currently happening to Stargate is that the producers of Farscape refused to bend in order to appease the SCI-FI network. They knew who their target audience was and what had been successful for them and they choose to end the show rather than to turn it into something it wasn’t. Sadly, the boys at bridge have chosen a different path. They seem to have forgotten who their core demographic has been over the past decade and lost sight of what it was that made the show so successful in the first place. Some fans may be happy that the B@B went into an entirely different direction because they feel it allowed Stargate to continue for a few more seasons, but personally I really wish they chosen to end it leaving it the way it was because I would have rather it ended on a high note than slowly watching it drop in ratings and become a shadow of what it used to be.
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 10 August 2006, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Hey everyone!

Looks like spoilers for a new Season 10 episode are up. It's called "Bad Guys" and:

Spoiler:
          It doesn't look like Sam is in it.

Beware spoilers in both of these articles!

Here is the link to the article on GW:
          http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...fbadguys.shtml

There's also more detailed info on the episode at Solutions:
          http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=636

Spoiler:
          Personally if Sam is not in it, I won't mind at all. I can just skip it altogether. It looks like a really stupid episode that might be painful to have to sit through.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
            Hey everyone!

Looks like spoilers for a new Season 10 episode are up. It's called "Bad Guys" and:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
            Personally if Sam is not in it, I won't mind at all. I can just skip it altogether. It looks like a really stupid episode that might be painful to have to sit through.
            Thanks for the heads up.
            Spoiler:
            When I read the title, the first thing that popped into my head was 'The Other Guys'. I like that ep, but this seems a little bizarre...and if there is no Sam, then... I'll watch, because I can't help myself, but a Samless episode is the last thing the show needs. Don't TPTB know about the Power of Sam?

Comment

Let me start this by saying...WELL Thought out KAT! Great post....but....read on.

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              <snipped by Sun>

Seeing as I was not a viewer of Farscape during the time of its cancellation, I can only speculate as to why it was cancelled; however, I found this comment very interesting:

Farscape's head writer-producer David Kemper seemed to hint in a recent radio interview that this was a factor, saying, "We [the creators of the show] are responsible [. . .] for it being cancelled, in a wonderful way. We didn't want to make it boring and bland."
              That is part of the reason that FS was cancelled, but the bigger reason was that Vivendi/Universal (owned Scifi & USA at the time) and EMI (owned Jim Henson Productions at the time) were both hurting financially. EMI wanted more money from Vivedi/Universal for FS and V/U couldn't afford it and said no. The FS producers were given the option of a 13 eps S5, and they turned it down (probably for the reason David stated in that interview above that Kat mentions).

Just wanted to further clarify that FS wasn't cancelled for poor ratings (although supposedly it was a part...which I find funny considering that FS was SciFi's FLAG SHIP show when SciFi first started their own "original" shows. )

As for what's happening with SG1 - seems to me the Boys@Bridge are caving cause they want to keep their jobs? Only they really know. Only they have to sleep with the knowledge that they are disappointing so many of their fans by caving and turning the show into something that most fans don't recognize or relate to anymore.
              Last edited by SunKrux; 10 August 2006, 06:30 PM.
              sigpic
              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                Thanks for the heads up.
                Spoiler:
                When I read the title, the first thing that popped into my head was 'The Other Guys'. I like that ep, but this seems a little bizarre...and if there is no Sam, then... I'll watch, because I can't help myself, but a Samless episode is the last thing the show needs. Don't TPTB know about the Power of Sam?
                Spoilers for "Bad Guys" and SGA's "McKay and Mrs. Miller":

Spoiler:
                Well, I think this might be the episode she is not in b/c she is in SGA's episode, "McKay and Mrs. Miller." AT is only doing 20 episode total this year, so she had to be left out of at least one SG-1 ep.

But then again, I could be wrong. Sam has been left out of quite a lot of the spoilers for season 10 and she has been in all of the episodes to date. Maybe she is still in the ep, just left back at the SGC and we won't see her as much.

The ep itself looks like a combination of "New Ground," "Icon," with a little bit of "Off the Grid" thrown in for good measure. None were episodes that I particularly liked. So needless to say, I'm not really looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                  Boys@Bridge
                  B@B=Boys@Bridge. D'oh! I always wondered what that meant! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                    B@B=Boys@Bridge. D'oh! I always wondered what that meant! Thanks.
                    Happy to help.
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      LM, I have noticed something recently,

*Puts on white coat, picks up clip board, and uses best German accent I can muster*

Now LM, I’m not a doctor, but I’d like to play one on TV

I have a few questions for you. *Ahem*

1. Zo, how long have you been talking to yourself?
                      2. Do you find yourself answering yourself?
                      3. If yes, do you ever get into arguments? If zo, who vins?

Now for a little test.

When you dream, do you dream of
                      A.
                      Spoiler:
                      http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8358/camelot563od0.jpg

B.
                      Spoiler:
                      http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5275/cntowerhm3.png

Or
                      C.
                      Spoiler:
                      http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1879/lowdown5f0119og1.jpg
                      Oops how did that get in there
                      Spoiler:
                      http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7549/threads435ca4.jpg
                      Um? Nope that’s not the one either
                      Now where did I put that photo?
                      Oh here it is
                      Spoiler:
                      http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/7973/molelm0.jpg

Lol Mandy! Sorry I'm out of green for you, that made me laugh!

I want to see how many people pick B.

Comment

Hey everyone!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                        Remind me never to go to Stargate Solutions again!
                        Spoiler:
                        I couldn't believe some of the antiSam comments posted by so-called fans. Are they nuts? Don't bother answering. Of course, they're nuts if they don't like Sam. This episode sounds like a bust to me. I'll only be happy if AT has a big (very big) part in the Atlantis episode that is being filmed at the same time. This is probably one I'll only watch once.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                          Remind me never to go to Stargate Solutions again!
                          Spoiler:
                          I couldn't believe some of the antiSam comments posted by so-called fans. Are they nuts? Don't bother answering. Of course, they're nuts if they don't like Sam. This episode sounds like a bust to me. I'll only be happy if AT has a big (very big) part in the Atlantis episode that is being filmed at the same time. This is probably one I'll only watch once.
                          Hey at least it gives you a warning of what not to watch that night
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Spoilers for "Bad Guys" and SGA's "McKay and Mrs. Miller":

Spoiler:
                            Well, I think this might be the episode she is not in b/c she is in SGA's episode, "McKay and Mrs. Miller." AT is only doing 20 episode total this year, so she had to be left out of at least one SG-1 ep.

But then again, I could be wrong. Sam has been left out of quite a lot of the spoilers for season 10 and she has been in all of the episodes to date. Maybe she is still in the ep, just left back at the SGC and we won't see her as much.

The ep itself looks like a combination of "New Ground," "Icon," with a little bit of "Off the Grid" thrown in for good measure. None were episodes that I particularly liked. So needless to say, I'm not really looking forward to it.
                            Spoiler for Bad Guys...
                            Spoiler:
                            Actually while I think the reason Amanda/Sam isn't in "Bad Guys" is partly due to the fact that she's going to be in McKay and Mrs. Miller I think it's largely due to the fact that The Road Not Taken is going to have a lot of Sam in it therefore Amanda will probably be filming a lot of her scenes for this episode while the rest of the crew is filming 'Bad Guys'.

Comment

Spoiler for Bad Guys...
                              Spoiler:
                              Actually while I think the reason Amanda/Sam isn't in "Bad Guys" is partly due to the fact that she's going to be in McKay and Mrs. Miller I think it's largely due to the fact that The Road Not Taken is going to have a lot of Sam in it therefore Amanda will probably be filming a lot of her scenes for this episode while the rest of the crew is filming 'Bad Guys'.
                              O.K.
                              Spoiler:
                              So we get a really good Sam episode out of the deal! I guess I can live with that. I'm looking forward to A Road not Taken almost as much as 200. Hey, it'll probably be even better since it's a Sam episode!

Comment

Spoiler for Bad Guys...
                                Spoiler:

I think that's part of it too.

Spoiler:
                                "The Road Not Taken" seems to be a Sam-centered ep with her going off on her own to an AU or something. AT was probably filming it while the rest of the main cast were filming "Bad Guys." From what I understand, Sam is not going to be in "McKay and Mrs. Miller" very much. It's more like a cameo role. But it probably does count as one of the 20 eps she is signed on for, even if she is not in it much.

Comment

Working...
                                X