• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NC

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
      Spoiler:
      I wonder if he would have a problem being bumped from show runner to writer if he had to take time away for family reasons.

Why would anybody be happy to lose a position they had worked hard for years for, especially to somebody with a fraction of their experience?
      how DARE you inerject logic and empathy into things!!!

LOL

it probably never occured to him simply because he has yet to be hit with such behavior

yet, for women like me, it's a matter of daily life.

i see women all the time put down in favor of men.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        how DARE you inerject logic and empathy into things!!!

LOL

it probably never occured to him simply because he has yet to be hit with such behavior

yet, for women like me, it's a matter of daily life.

i see women all the time put down in favor of men.
        Me too, and most of the time the men don't even seem to understand that what happens is discrimination...

Interestingly I had a response on another thread to something I posted that basically said 'I agree the decision to remove Sam from the leadership was gender related but I don't understand how this is discrimination'...I was a little stumped for a reply quite frankly but I think its a good example of how blind people are to it.
        sigpic
        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

they are very blind to it.

and that's the saddest part, that it's so engrained that it's accepted without question.

and what's even sadder, every time a show uses and supports gender based discrimination (which is no different than age or race or religious although people are more sensitive to teh latter two) they help perpetrate it.

whenever shows like stargate write gender based discrimination into the show and it's accepted and never questioned, they make it easier for the next generation to keep it going.

so, in 10 years, when these writers' kids are growing up and want a particular job and are told 'no sorry, no girls allowed' or in 20 years when thier daughters realize that they're getting paid LESS than their male counterparts, they have only themselves to blame.

changes are not made over night, nor are they made by only one person. but every little contributing factor, every little accepted instance, just makes it easier and easier to keep the discrimination going.

by not even thinking about the issue and dismissing it out of hand (heck by dismissing fan crit as 'women with issues') tptb are making thier gender bias known and perpetrating it.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
            Me too, and most of the time the men don't even seem to understand that what happens is discrimination...

Interestingly I had a response on another thread to something I posted that basically said 'I agree the decision to remove Sam from the leadership was gender related but I don't understand how this is discrimination'...I was a little stumped for a reply quite frankly but I think its a good example of how blind people are to it.
            That's the problem. Some people see gender discrimination as the norm, acceptable even. They don't see it because it doesn't occur to them that there is anything to see or because they choose not to see it. Because of this, they cannot see that Sam has been wronged or empathize with her.

If, hypothetically speaking, the President and Joint Chiefs were preparing for going public about the stargate and demoted Mitchell in favour of Sam or a new female character because they thought that a woman would be better for public relations, how long do you think it would be before some of those who can't/won't see that Sam has been discriminated against were loudly objecting to the injustice of Mitchell losing his command because of his gender?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by allaboutthegate
              Thats very true, sometimes I think women are put into certain places just to make people look like they are for equal rights etc. Not that some don't deserve their positions of course, most do have to earn them.
              Which is why I'd love it if the PTB had the balls to (Spoilers for Insiders)
              Spoiler:
              Have Landry tell Mitchell that he's not in favor of women in command. His mysogeny might explain his wife/daughter troubles, too
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                RE ratings:
                Spoiler:
                So with all of the talk about Season 10's ratings and what it could mean for the end of the series... some folks have been comparing the ratings and such to Farscape's ratings when it was cancelled. Being clueless regarding Farscape's history, or it's ratings, I did a search and found this, for anyone who is interested Farscape cancellation. I couldn't help but note the similarities between what Farscape experienced and what the Farscape fans were crying, and what seems to be happening for Stargate now.
                Very interesting comparison.
                sigpic

Comment

Slightly off topic, but a bit related to the Demotivational posters others in here have made.... Found a link to this GW post from the f-list of a LJ friend.... http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=1953 and it made me LMAO.

Related to the discussions here about medicore or poor character development... Great pic they used and the line "When actual character development is too much to ask"---- so true! Though it shows they can be equal opportunity writers when it comes to poor characterization.... And realizing what they've done to Shep's character actually makes me feel better about how they've written Sam.
                  Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                  My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    Spoiler:
                    Have Landry tell Mitchell that he's not in favor of women in command. His mysogeny might explain his wife/daughter troubles, too
                    Spoiler:
                    It'd explain a lot about Sam's sudden departure, as well as the fact that Landry didn't put her back in command when she returned, or offer her command of another team.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      Spoiler:
                      Sadly, they don't. And besides, it wouldn't be fun.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                        Sadly, they don't. And besides, it wouldn't be fun.
                        Spoiler:
                        It also wouldn't reflect well on Mitchell if he kept command despite knowing how he had come to get it.

The hewo cannot be allowed to look bad, except when he's being charmingly reckless because sad things happened to him and/or it's funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          they are very blind to it.

and that's the saddest part, that it's so engrained that it's accepted without question.

and what's even sadder, every time a show uses and supports gender based discrimination (which is no different than age or race or religious although people are more sensitive to teh latter two) they help perpetrate it.

whenever shows like stargate write gender based discrimination into the show and it's accepted and never questioned, they make it easier for the next generation to keep it going.

so, in 10 years, when these writers' kids are growing up and want a particular job and are told 'no sorry, no girls allowed' or in 20 years when thier daughters realize that they're getting paid LESS than their male counterparts, they have only themselves to blame.

changes are not made over night, nor are they made by only one person. but every little contributing factor, every little accepted instance, just makes it easier and easier to keep the discrimination going.

by not even thinking about the issue and dismissing it out of hand (heck by dismissing fan crit as 'women with issues') tptb are making thier gender bias known and perpetrating it.
                          A thought occurs. It Cam were a woman, Camilla Mitchell, say--and she had the same "qualifications" and exhibited the same recklessness as Cameron, how much do you want to bet we'd be hearing a lot about Mitchell's incompetence from those who now say Mitchell is just great?

Comment

They don’t know what to do with the character of Sam Carter.

I have heard that line and various versions of it for quite a while now and my answer is

“Why the hell not?”

Do you need something blown up? Well how big a boom do you need?

Spoiler:

Need someone proficient with weapons? Need a sharpshooter?

Spoiler:

Need a pilot?

Spoiler:

Need to break out of a place? Need to break in?

Spoiler:

Need a spokesperson / liaison?

Spoiler:

Continued in Part 2
                            -

Comment

From Part 1

Need an adventurous person?

Spoiler:

Need something fixed?

Spoiler:

Need something invented?

Spoiler:

Need something explained?

Spoiler:

Need someone to go undercover / investigate?

Spoiler:

Continued in Part 3
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                A thought occurs. It Cam were a woman, Camilla Mitchell, say--and she had the same "qualifications" and exhibited the same recklessness as Cameron, how much do you want to bet we'd be hearing a lot about Mitchell's incompetence from those who now say Mitchell is just great?
                                If Camilla Mitchell was played by Claudia Black (or any other actress with an established fan base) then she would have her fans, but as I have seen Sam's gender used as a reason why she shouldn't be in command, I imagine that there would be some who, while they could forgive Cam his mistakes, would not have the same tolerance for Camilla's.

Comment

Working...
                                X