X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargate barbie

now for my opinion on Pegasus Project
    Spoiler:

well for the most part i liked it. more or less. the less being mitchell in a good few places.

i loved the opening scene with sam doing the briefing for weir and shep and the whole mckay thing (don't shoot me, you know i can't help it!). in fact all of the sam/mckay scenes i liked. i liked the lemon scene, i loved the bit in the briefing room where shep says he'll shoot mckay and sam mouths thank you.

generally, i felt that the whole episode was a bit disjointed. it just didn't flow and fit together smoothly.

the daniel/vala parts were pretty good, and moved the whole season arc along nicely, but vala really was just there for the ride. she had one useful moment and that was it. thats a shame for me.

now brace yourselves and skip this part if you like mitchell and thought he was just oh so wonderful in this one;
    Spoiler:
    first of all, another grandma comment, fortunately saved by a great line by sam (followed by cam's "her words exactly", which i liked).

the thing is, in the first two episodes, i was starting to like cam a little better. i really was. and for the start of this episode too. unfortunately it didn't last. ok, i get that BW might be trying to reinforce coops position on the cam is leader thing, he's his partner, and he wants to back him up on this. but i hate it. the first 2 eps were really making it look like co-leadership and and ensemble situation, and i could live with that even if i'd prefer the command structure with sam at the top. this episode, although at the start to me looked as though sam were in control because it was her plan and she was all leadery (its a word!), later on there really was no room for argument.

not only did sam look to him for his approval, instead of looking to emerson who is in command of the ship (hence i figured it would be up to him to give the order to move in and ahead with the plan), she looked to cam, who proceeded not only to tell sam to go ahead, it looked like he was ordering emerson too! WTF!?!? what does this guy do, travel around the military and just take peoples commands away from them? i have to say, as if you haven't figured it out yet, that pissed me off a little bit.

then he suddenly becomes an astrophysist. the guy who didn't even know what an accretion disc is, suddenly becomes and expert on blackholes and how they can use this one to their advantage. c'mon! brad wright, inventor of the how come room, wrote this! what the heck was he thinking giving that line to mitchell? thats a sam line right there. military + astrophysist + person who helped to build the ship = the possesion of strategic knowledge in this situation and of how they can get the ship out of this situation. military + fighter pilot who got special treatment and a place on an sg team because he got injured - lack of scientific knowledge = big gaping plot hole!

sorry guys, but i was disappointed in brad wright in this episode. second time the guy has dissapointed me in a couple of weeks.

ok, end of that rant. i got a little worked up there.

i would have like to see more sam/mckay interaction and more sam/shep interaction. i missed teal'c. at the start of the ep i was saying (repeatedly) "hey where's teal'c, what did they just forget to write him into this one?" no explaination of why he wasn't there. it would have fit into the opening briefing scene. maybe i just missed it?

yeah, so it was ok, and maybe i'd like it better on a second viewing, but it was a bit of a disappointment to me. i guess that'll learn me to look forward to episodes and put faith in stargate writers regardless of who they are anymore.

i think that covers it, if not who really cares?

edit; now i remember.
    Spoiler:
    am i the only one who laughed out loud when the ori ship was destroyed? is PDL doing the vfx now? do they even realise what those ships look like, and what that kawoosh looked like when destroying the ship? oiy. i'm assuming it was unintentional, which makes it funny to me.
    Spoiler:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the kawoosh things supposed to disintegrate matter completely like they did with the guy in 'The Light' and with the prisoner in the episode with Linea and not just snap the thing into two pieces?

Anyway, Sam was much more authoritative in this episode and she even got quite a bit of humour in there too! I had issue with the chain of command thing as well, besides the fact that I'm a Sam fan, I also happen to rather like Colonel Emerson and why on Netu should they have to report to Cam? *insert Marvin the martian voice* "This makes me very angry!"

I liked Sam's interactions with McKay and at times this episode felt like 'old school' SG-1 with Sam in charge and Mitchell and Vala (mostly) relegated to the sidelines. Can we transfer SG-1 permanently to the Odyssey? I really like Emerson and his crew. Heck, I think we should move them, Odyssey and all, to Atlantis! I think my original assessment was correct. First they fix Vala (she's not perfect still but she'll do for now), then last week they put Daniel back to being the team's anthropologist and not the actionhero! Danny we've seen a lot of recently and this week, although Sam didn't get her command back, she was given a lot of screen time and some great lines! Next stop, TEAL'C! *crosses fingers*
    Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

i think that covers it, if not who really cares?

edit; now i remember.
      Spoiler:
      am i the only one who laughed out loud when the ori ship was destroyed? is PDL doing the vfx now? do they even realise what those ships look like, and what that kawoosh looked like when destroying the ship? oiy. i'm assuming it was unintentional, which makes it funny to me.
      Spoiler:
      Well you do know about PDL's potty humour right? This just goes to show how much it influences him
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        Spoiler:
        Well you do know about PDL's potty humour right? This just goes to show how much it influences him
        LMAO that *so* went over my head when I read that post first time! *Slaps self* Stupid shipper!

Comment

now for my opinion on Pegasus Project
          Spoiler:
          now brace yourselves and skip this part if you like mitchell and thought he was just oh so wonderful in this one

the first 2 eps were really making it look like co-leadership and and ensemble situation, and i could live with that even if i'd prefer the command structure with sam at the top. this episode, although at the start to me looked as though sam were in control because it was her plan and she was all leadery (its a word!), later on there really was no room for argument.
          Yeah,
          Spoiler:
          the writers really don't seem to know what they're doing from ep-to-ep. It's crazy-making. I will say this, though: I think that anyone who says that Mitchell is clearly, no argument, Carter's CO is... wrong. That is the least defensible position, IMO.

Spoiler:
          it looked like he was ordering emerson too! WTF!?!? what does this guy do, travel around the military and just take peoples commands away from them?
          HA! I thought you were going to say,
          Spoiler:
          "What does this guy do, travel around the galaxy and let people take his command away from him?"

then he suddenly
          Spoiler:
          becomes an astrophysist.

sorry guys, but i was disappointed in brad wright in this episode.
          Mmm...
          Spoiler:
          Although I think this was one of, if not the, best episodes of "The New, Improved Stargate Command!", I do agree with you that BW pulled a few fast ones, mostly to Carter's detriment. Mitchell's gotta be in the story somehow, so someone else has to be taken from. I wish it were Daniel more often -- equal opportunity stealing, and all that.

edit; now i remember.
          Spoiler:
          No, you weren't the only one. See scarimor's review in the ep thread, and the screencap somewhere in the last couple of pages.

Great post, sb!

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
            Spoiler:
            Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the kawoosh things supposed to disintegrate matter completely like they did with the guy in 'The Light' and with the prisoner in the episode with Linea and not just snap the thing into two pieces?

Anyway, Sam was much more authoritative in this episode and she even got quite a bit of humour in there too! I had issue with the chain of command thing as well, besides the fact that I'm a Sam fan, I also happen to rather like Colonel Emerson and why on Netu should they have to report to Cam? *insert Marvin the martian voice* "This makes me very angry!"

I liked Sam's interactions with McKay and at times this episode felt like 'old school' SG-1 with Sam in charge and Mitchell and Vala (mostly) relegated to the sidelines. Can we transfer SG-1 permanently to the Odyssey? I really like Emerson and his crew. Heck, I think we should move them, Odyssey and all, to Atlantis! I think my original assessment was correct. First they fix Vala (she's not perfect still but she'll do for now), then last week they put Daniel back to being the team's anthropologist and not the actionhero! Danny we've seen a lot of recently and this week, although Sam didn't get her command back, she was given a lot of screen time and some great lines! Next stop, TEAL'C! *crosses fingers*
            How about Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c all at the same time.
            Wow, theres a concept why not have Star Gate Team 1 actually sort of work together and all get their mojo back. They can highlight the individual working with the group. Like they did back in the good old days when SG-1 was about a team travelling through the Stargate.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              How about Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c all at the same time.
              Wow, theres a concept why not have Star Gate Team 1 actually sort of work together and all get their mojo back. They can highlight the individual working with the group. Like they did back in the good old days when SG-1 was about a team travelling through the Stargate.
              Sounds like an excellent plan to me! Do you think TPTB will go for it? Nah I don't think so either, more's the pity!

Comment

Originally posted by Thor_Beyond769
                Is there anyone else that is going to the Gabit this November?
                Not going to Gabit, but I have to ask b/c of your signature picture. Have you checked out the Sam/Thor thread? (it's purposely off the wall.)

Comment

The topic is... Season 10... and the glass is half empty... and leaking...
                  Originally posted by Skydiver
                  Originally posted by AGateFan
                  Spoiler:
                  So why not just make the eps about the big3? Why the bait and switch, unless they just didnt realize the issue until too late. That would be proof of massive shortsightedness. Hard to believe in fact.

because, imho
                  because, imho
                  Spoiler:
                  they want to use the big 3 to promote the 'new and improved' show and get some better ratings so that they can use those ratings to spin off cam and vala in scifi's new farscape rip off.

they don't want to build things around the big three because they ultimately, want to get rid of them. they're just over paid 'baggage' .

they're gonna use the big 3 to build up their new show, then dump them..possibly bringing htem back whenever the new show needs a ratings boost

yes, i definitely earned my title of Miss Negative
                  Spoiler:
                  What they truly intended, I'll never know.

All I can work from is the impressions that I get from how everything has transpired.

Moving in a New Alpha Male Leader and writing Carter out of command so that the new guy could take over was a mistake. Whether or not they make money from Season 9 (and 10+) on does not justify what they did.

Choosing to bring in both of the lead actors from Farscape... and then making them lead characters on SG-1 and shoving the veteran characters aside... I can't fathom why anyone thought that was a good idea. The only thing that comes to my mind is that someone in power was simply so enamored with Farscape that they couldn't believe their good luck at getting the Farscape actors onto SG-1.

Writing Carter out of command.
                  They did it.
                  It sucks more than I would have imagined (basically because I don't think I would have ever considered it a real possibility.... it had to happen for me to realize how much it sucks).

Seeing the new guy wield his power... sucks.

----------

I think they are playing Carter's role up now in the promos and such because they are trying to

* retain some of their veteran fan base
                  * appease those female viewers who are incensed that Carter was written out of command
                  * avoid the too obvious FarGate branding by the media. If they publish ads with BB and CB all over them, then the media is going to start using the FarGate label (and not just the disillusioned fans).
                  * pull in some of that 'female demographic'

The short synopses and tag lines for the first half of Season 10 were out, and we all saw that there was little mention of Carter - especially not as a main hero, or a successful, brilliant astrophysicist. No, the storylines mostly mentioned Mitchell and Vala. Mitchell's various heroics and/or situations. Vala's child. Vala's psych eval. Vala's amnesia. Mitchell and Landry.. at O'Neill's cabin!!! Talking about commanding SG-1. Mitchell handcuffed to a bed, in his underwear, with Vala next to him. Mitchell popping motorcycle wheelies as he tears off to rescue Vala. Vala helping to rescue herself.

Headlines read 'Ben Browder leads Stargate into the future' (and variations thereof).

Mitchell. Vala. Mitchell. Vala.

That's what came out as Season 10 took shape.
                  As it was written, as it was filmed.

-----

And then, as time got shorter before Season 10 premiered, there were suddenly articles with AT. Pictures and photos of AT - with BB, and then later, a few with CB. Articles and interviews with AT. Inclusion of Carter's character now into the mix.

But the fact remains that much of Season 10 was already done and in the can. And much of the rest was already sketched out.

Something seems to have happened where they got a bit of the message about including Carter and Teal'c.

They seem to be playing up Carter's role in the promos. That doesn't change the fact that they still have Mitchell as the leader of SG-1.

Spoiler:
                  I can't put into words how much I hate seeing Carter answer to the Lead Male oozing testosterone. She spent 8 years as O'Neill's subordinate - she's earned the right to be the leader of the team. She was the leader of the team. Giving that to Mitchell... nasty, nasty, nasty

Maybe... perhaps... they will have some good, solid Carter in episodes to come. Maybe... perhaps... But probably not much. It's Mitchell's team and Mitchell's story, with some Vala thrown in for spice and humor and novelty (new)... Most likely that there might be, perhaps, some good Carter moments or scenes.

------

I wonder what TPTB are thinking right now?

Are they hoping that veteran viewers will tune back in? I think a lot of folks gave the show a chance in Season 9, but what they saw didn't entice them to keep viewing. What they saw in Season 9, wasn't enough to make them want to watch TV on Friday evenings anymore.

Are they hoping that they will create a new (and different) fan base, quickly enough, to make up for the viewers that they lost?

Are they hoping to simply end SG-1 and start a new series?

I'm with those of you who have suggested that it would be cool if Carter was the leader of a team, and a ship, for a new series.

However, I do think that Sky and some of the others are more likely correct, with the idea that it's more likely that TPTB would go with Mitchell and Vala as the carry-over leads into a new series. (From the CB interviews it sounds like they've already sounded her out w/respect to doing a new Stargate series... but then that was before Season 10 was a reality...).

Last edited by astrogeologist; 30 July 2006, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    Not going to Gabit, but I have to ask b/c of your signature picture. Have you checked out the Sam/Thor thread? (it's purposely off the wall.)
                    Uber invited me here from the Sony threads. I a huge Sam Fan. But I'll check out the other as well.
                    Strong Believer in LOVE!

Comment

OK, goodie! Then I'll possibly have others to talk to and faces to meet when we get there. I'm going to the Sunday party. #Who else is going?
                      Welcome to the thread.

Methinks you mean Avalon, perhaps? That's the weekend after GABIT. GABIT is the entire weekend of November 17th with cocktail party Friday evening, and a tea with Amanda on Sunday afternoon. Avalon is a series of 3 one day events & it sounds like that's what you were talking about.

As far as GABIT... lemme see.... me, Skydiver, LadyJeep, tsaxlady, minigeek, TJ, and several other GateWorlders.

There's also a great number of GW'ers going to Avalon too, more than I can remember. (I won't ---I'm already taking 2 weeks of leave for the GABIT event - will have to get back to work the Monday after Avalon so.... I'll just live vicariously through everyone else!). Like Sky said, you might want to mosey over to the Fandom folder and check it out.
                      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        I'll bet (Season 10 spoilers and speculation)
                        Spoiler:
                        that both Barrett and Sam go down, and it turns out that Barret was shot or hit by shrapnel by an explosion.

Of course, it would be great turnabout if Sam is covering Barrett - ala the way that he covered her when that house exploded. It would also be cool if she got whumped saving Barrett from getting hurt.
                        spoilers for next weeks episode from season 10 (yes, i don't know the names of any of these eps. i don't care enough to memorize them)

Spoiler:
                        just from that spoiler/scene (that i misinterpreted ), i thought sam was looking for baal, and when mitchell yelled her name, she quickly turned and saw baal there. right behind her. what was he going to do to her?! it was scary and had MEGA potential because of their history. the last time they saw each other, he was actually helping out and curtious enough. so for him to be behind her now, with the power, and his evil/goauld nature... see why i'm so disappointed!? it went from potential sam whump and angst to *what*? BORING.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your birthday wishes, you guys rock! And thanks to NC, there is cake, too.

My birthday wish for this year...more Sam in Season 10! And dare I say, Sam in Command! Hey, a girl can dream, right?! (And I refuse to leave my dreamworld today.)

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANI !

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                              Welcome to the thread.

Methinks you mean Avalon, perhaps? That's the weekend after GABIT. GABIT is the entire weekend of November 17th with cocktail party Friday evening, and a tea with Amanda on Sunday afternoon. Avalon is a series of 3 one day events & it sounds like that's what you were talking about.

As far as GABIT... lemme see.... me, Skydiver, LadyJeep, tsaxlady, minigeek, TJ, and several other GateWorlders.

There's also a great number of GW'ers going to Avalon too, more than I can remember. (I won't ---I'm already taking 2 weeks of leave for the GABIT event - will have to get back to work the Monday after Avalon so.... I'll just live vicariously through everyone else!). Like Sky said, you might want to mosey over to the Fandom folder and check it out.
                              Ok, now I'm confused. I thought that the convention was called Avalon (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and it was being hosted by Gabit Events. Did I get something wrong?
                              Strong Believer in LOVE!

Comment

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought that the convention was called Avalon (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and it was being hosted by Gabit Events. Did I get something wrong?
                                Well, Avalon is a joint convention being hosted both by Gabit Events and another company. There's also the GABIT2 convention itself, the whole weekend convention which is the weekend before. I think the official title of that is actually "Amanda Tapping: A Weekend With Her Fans - The Return" or something along those lines. But it's generally known as GABIT (Get Amanda Back In Town) or GABIT2 (because the first GABIT was last year). So if you say GABIT, folks will assume you mean the full weekend convention with Amanda
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X