Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    well considering the rather large screw-ups in VFX lately...
    FLUSHED are the Ori! (And their toilet lidded Doci too!)

Suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

the thing is, bsg had their taping delayed a bit, maybe sg1 and atl will be the same. start taping in mar or april instead of feb/mar adn premiere in aug or so

something like that to give them thier 40 weeks of new shows
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse
        FLUSHED are the Ori! (And their toilet lidded Doci too!)

Suse
        Well I know PDL likes toilet humour, but making ships out of them
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

My first gut reaction to the long extension of the winter hiatus was that 1) they are thinking of pulling the plug on the series -and there may not even be a second half if the ratings for the first half don't pick up, or 2) they have decided that they need extra time to figure out how to advertise and 'sell' the New SG-1 to the masses (viewers), and/or 3) they want extra time to figure out how to 're-tool' SG-1 even more - in an attempt to try and boost the ratings. I would expect that their re-tooling would take the show even further away from what we saw in the original first 8 seasons. They may offer AT directing work behind the camera or some such, don't know what they'd do with Teal'c... but there'd probably be more of a focus on Vala and Mitchell.

while i agree about the 'possible' retooling thing, i don't see them continuing with what -to me- is one of the problems (mitchell and vala in the sg1 universe).

IF retooling is going to happen, i'd like to see them try to recapture what was soooooooo successful to begin with. and as i said in some other post somewhere; sam and ship might have taken a beating from time to time, but season 8 was THE most ratings successful season the show's ever had. the season premier and season finales were THE highest rated... that tells something. sam, s/j ship, sam-daniel-teal'c, humor with class, the writers focusing on the 3 (and a half with jack) stars, sam in command of sg1... those were some of the elements of season 8; how can they be dismissed as not being part of the reason for it's stellar success?

but in telling something, so does what sg1 the show used to be about. that's what's missing since season 9. they brought in new characters, but gave those characters *the show*.

i'm still scared crapless that *i* will leave if this so-called hiatis until march thing comes true. i'm having so much trouble being here now, how in the hayhoo am i supposed to stay interested for six months without anything to get excited about???

argh.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            Yeah, bink, that was my exact reaction, too. If they were trying to keep their female viewers, they really shouldn't have taken the direction they did in season 9.

I have to wonder, though, if they didn't increase their numbers for Morpheus based on their promos that actually featured Sam. I was looking forward to it because the spoilers for the ep actually had Sam in them. Perhaps I wasn't alone. Makes you wonder, anyway, doesn't it? The power of Sam...
            sounds like a great motto!

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              sounds like a great motto!

sally
              Let me get this straight. Morpheus had better ratings than F&B? Indeed. The power of Sam. I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                Yep that is what Mark told me on Friday - they are going for year round new programing

20 weeks of Stargate
                20 weeks of BSG

No new shows during major US holidays and you have new programing on Fridays year round.

As for a S11 I would guess the decision will be made about renewal based on ratings in the first half of S10.
                then how about running a new ep every second week? i don't know about the math, but shouldn't that help in their year round thinger?

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  then how about running a new ep every second week? i don't know about the math, but shouldn't that help in their year round thinger?

sally
                  Sorry, I'd never keep that straight. Is it new? Is it rerun? I just look up when new eps are supposed to start and set to tape til they end. The promos will tell me when that is. It's not like I watch anythin else on Sci Fi Channel. I only watch Atlanis because it follows SG-1. Same for BSG. And I only watched those if I wasn't yelling at SG-1's "new and shiny" direction. Even though I opten liked Altantis's stories better the characters have yet to gel for me.

Suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Fic rec

Dominion
                    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3063248/1/

I think it's the one that minigeek rec'd a few posts back.

Well, I read it - and it's excellent! Very well written.

I wish the two authors would actually post it here on the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                      Let me get this straight. Morpheus had better ratings than F&B? Indeed. The power of Sam. I like it!
                      I'm glad the ratings went up slightly for Morpheus. I thought it was more of a classic SG1 episode. Of course, the ratings were still pretty low. I love the Power of Sam comment! Hopefully, the ptb will see the power as well!

Comment

How about a new Sam Carter game?

Last year we did the Best Carter episode polls for each, and this time around we are doing the Best AT Acting Scene polls by season... so I was thinking it would be cool to try and encapsulate 'Sam in Each Season' in just a few words that summarize what happened to her that year.

I was originally thinking along the lines of

Season _ , The Year of __________ Carter

I'll start...

Season 1: The Year of Young, Fun, Smart and Heroic SoldierScientistCarter
                        Bright, young enthusiastic Carter (getting to go through the gate in COTG, and her reaction to just standing in front of the event horizon)
                        Having fun (what a happy smile!)
                        Heroic and self-sacrificing (e.g., Singularity)

Season 2: The Year of Jolinar, Jacob and brilliant astrophysicist SoldierScientist Carter
                        recieves the Air Medal
                        relationship with her father, Jacob
                        Goa'ulded... Jolinarized (ITLOD and Tokra, pts 1&2)
                        a brilliant, and respected (people listen to her and she figures things out), astrophysicist (A Matter Of Time, 1969)
                        talks to her plants

Season 3:The Year of Scifi Hero Carter - I think this was the best year for showcasing and highlighting so many exciting and intriguing positive aspects of Carter's character
                        Jolinar Ramifications, rescuing Dad, saving the SGC (and the planet) and invents new technology to ensure that no one is left behind permanently
                        learning the more of the ramifications of Jolinar's possession of her (Seth, Legacy, Jolinar's Memories, The Devil You Know, Foothold)

goes to Hell to get her Dad back
                        competent soldier and officer - handles true heroics... and can be snarky (Foothold)
                        creates a particle accelerator to save Jack in 100 Days

Season 4: Another solid year of Scifi Hero Carter; Saves the Asgard, Blows up a sun...

Season 5: The Year of Heroes and Humans"Welcome To My Life", shares consciousness with an Ascended Being, flies an asteroid through the Earth, has to cope with living with mistakes (e.g., Red Sky) The human vulnerabilities and traits are highlighted in episodes such as Red Sky, Ascension (where Carter is portrayed as tense and without a life outside the SGC and her work)

Season 6: The Year of 'I Was There'
                        Gets Goaulded again, has to deal with more mistakes, some whumped Carter (e.g., Metamorphosis); I think this is the season where AT described her character as mostly there to further the episodes along, but not too much character development occured.

Season 7: The Year of Whumped Beleagured Carter, the beginnings of Ship Carterbrilliant Carter gets a chance to shine, beleagured Carter, whumped Carter

Season 8: The Year of Carter-ship and Alternate Carter (RepliCarter, GeekCarter); Carter in command of SG-1, but that doesn't get much screen time; Carter-ship is overdone (boyfriend Pete storyline goes too far too fast and isn't handled well, Jacob... father-daughter relationship is
                        Spoiler:
                        taken too far with Jacob's death as a sad plot device to further other ship soap in Carter's Season 7/8 life
                        , and add in Sam/Jack ship to the year! Not much (if any) of the competent, heroic Carter from previous years.

Season 9: The Year of What Happened?
                        Carter is written out of command
                        doesn't solve many problems, doesn't show much scientific brilliance
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 July 2006, 10:21 PM.

Comment

It would get way too confusing. I'm o.k. with the new schedule, but I watch Battlestar as well. I like the idea of new programming year round. I do hope that it doesn't hurt SG1's ratings, but I really don't think it will have that much of an effect on them. I do however think the lack of Stargate Mondays will cause ratings problems. (So many new veiwers started because of a classic SG1 episode on a Monday.) We are lost without them at my house! Sam withdrawls are not a good thing! It was easier to tolerate the lack of Sam in season 9, because we enjoyed the real Sam on Monday nights.

Comment

Last year we did the Best Carter episode polls for each, and this time around we are doing the Best AT Acting Scene polls by season... so I was thinking it would be cool to try and encapsulate 'Sam in Each Season' in just a few words that summarize what happened to her that year.

I'll start...

Bright, young enthusiastic Carter (getting to go through the gate in COTG, and her reaction to just standing in front of the event horizon)
                            I just watch Solitudes and she's just so young! Great acting on AT's part by the way. I definitely agree with your assessment of S1 Sam, as well as all the rest.

I really need to head over and do that S6 poll. I've had a window open with it for days and haven't done it yet.

Comment

I'll start...

Season 2: The Year of Jolinar, Jacob and brilliant astrophysicist SoldierScientist Carter
                              recieves the Air Medal
                              relationship with her father, Jacob
                              Goa'ulded... Jolinarized (ITLOD and Tokra, pts 1&2)
                              a brilliant, and respected (people listen to her and she figures things out), astrophysicist (A Matter Of Time, 1969)
                              talks to her plants

Season 3:The Year of Scifi Hero Carter - I think this was the best year for showcasing and highlighting so many exciting and intriguing positive aspects of Carter's character
                              Jolinar Ramifications, rescuing Dad, saving the SGC (and the planet) and invents new technology to ensure that no one is left behind permanently
                              learning the more of the ramifications of Jolinar's possession of her (Seth, Legacy, Jolinar's Memories, The Devil You Know, Foothold)

goes to Hell to get her Dad back
                              competent soldier and officer - handles true heroics... and can be snarky (Foothold)
                              creates a particle accelerator to save Jack in 100 Days

Season 4: Another solid year of Scifi Hero Carter; Saves the Asgard, Blows up a sun...

Season 5: The Year of Heroes and Humans"Welcome To My Life", shares consciousness with an Ascended Being, flies an asteroid through the Earth, has to cope with living with mistakes (e.g., Red Sky) The human vulnerabilities and traits are highlighted in episodes such as Red Sky, Ascension (where Carter is portrayed as tense and without a life outside the SGC and her work)

Season 6: The Year of 'I Was There'
                              Gets Goaulded again, has to deal with more mistakes, some whumped Carter (e.g., Metamorphosis); I think this is the season where AT described her character as mostly there to further the episodes along, but not too much character development occured.

Season 7: The Year of Whumped Beleagured Carter, the beginnings of Ship Carterbrilliant Carter gets a chance to shine, beleagured Carter, whumped Carter

Season 8: The Year of Carter-ship and Alternate Carter (RepliCarter, GeekCarter); Carter in command of SG-1, but that doesn't get much screen time

Season 9: The Year of What Happened?
                              Carter is written out of command
                              doesn't solve many problems, doesn't show much scientific brilliance
                              Excellent! I love that idea! Of course, I would have to add to season 4.
                              I love the dynamics that her admitted feelings for Jack added to her personality. I know that some people would disagree, but I liked that bit of romance in season 4. Of course, blowing up the sun was tremendously cool. She is such a superhero!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                                It would get way too confusing. I'm o.k. with the new schedule, but I watch Battlestar as well. I like the idea of new programming year round. I do hope that it doesn't hurt SG1's ratings, but I really don't think it will have that much of an effect on them. I do however think the lack of Stargate Mondays will cause ratings problems. (So many new veiwers started because of a classic SG1 episode on a Monday.) We are lost without them at my house! Sam withdrawls are not a good thing! It was easier to tolerate the lack of Sam in season 9, because we enjoyed the real Sam on Monday nights.
                                *Raises hand* ME!!! And my roommate...and because we were addicted, now my brother and best friend are. Stargate Mondays changed my life! And where are they now?

Comment

Working...
                                X