Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate gal
    It may be an icky thought, but I'm betting it's right on the money. I don't think we're going to win this one Samandans.
    Carter may not be officially in charge of SG-1 after uninvited (the way I feel about the new direction and characters, BTW) however I feel rather sure that it, along with all of the other dreck and foly TPKTS have served up, will be a large contributing factor to the demise of the show as the ratings continue to slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Uh oh, I just had a thought (yes I do get them )

don't let TPTB see CG's post, or the next episode will be taking place in the women's locker room with them in the shower
      (thinks back to men's shower room scene) Yep it's been done before
      whaa? did they hire AD as a writer?

anyway, that was probably the original version of the scene that got cut. they had to rewrite it because both actresses refused to play it that way, and then they cut it to spite them for making them change it.

(oh yeah, CG the interview was good, but i think it was slightly overshadowed for me by the pic that preceded it. LOL! excellent.)

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
        I really think that the show has just lost a lot of viewers because of the changes and because of pretty poor writing and creativity. Could you imagine still being interested in the Ori in another 8 years?! They have relied too much on big names and special effects, they have just forgotton what made the show a great (if limited) success.
        It may have lost a lot of viewers but I do believe it has also gained new viewers. I'm only just starting to view season 9 and I'm not disappointed..yet. I actually like watching BB and CB but I do prefer to watch AT, MS and CJ.
        I hate the Ori storyline...religious stories get up my nose so it hasn't appealed to me...having said that I do like the present team. I would like to see them go back to the type of story arcs they used to have like the ancient Egyptian storylines, and the Norse mythologies...I really enjoyed that stuff.
        I agree...they have forgotten what has made the show so great and they really need to take a long hard look at where they want to see the show end up...I believe they could make the show into a bigger sucess if they tried..if they want to that is!
        I'm not gonna stop watching...I love it too much!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          Wow!

I got bored after a few shows.

I never tired of the Goa'uld though
          Same here....the Ori are BORING!! The Goa'uld were great...they shouldn't have gotten rid of them.
          I did however like the Unas though it was good they didn't over expose us to them...it couldv'e worn thin in the end.
          As for Sam's technobabble...can't get enough of that!!
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            This is a cross-post from the WhingeNuts Thread:

OK, so here's a new question for our thread:

What was the last time that Carter's brilliance (or heroics) were 'central screen' and/or were crucial to the storyline or plot? When was the last time that 'Carter saved the day?' ((Minor scenes not what we're looking for here... looking for something big, like Carter's scenes in the silo with Cassie, and the elevator and going back down... or Carter's scenes in A Matter Of Time, where she's the one with the brilliance and acumen to figure things out and folks listen to her..., etc.))

My reply:
            Spoiler:
            I'd have to say that if the scenes in Reckoning aren't them (see quotes above), then it would have to be Grace. In Grace, she uses her science and her brilliant mind to save the ship, the crew and the aliens.

That would be mid-season 7... and we're now into Season 10. Now, I'm *not* advocating that Carter be so brilliant that she saves the day in every episode, or even in every other one. But it would be nice if it was a couple of times each season. And certainly more often than what we've seen in the past 3 years.

Balance. It's all about balance. If she saves the day every episode, then it's not going to work. If she's too perfect, it's not going to work. But they've gone too far the other side for the past several years, because she no longer shines as one of the main heroes. She no longer has moments to shine, she no longer has scenes or plot lines where she shines.

I've always been impressed by how many folks on this thread want to share the limelight between the main characters of the show. Therefore, it's very, very telling when the folks on this thread are posting their continued frustrations and disappointments with the show.

The show has lost it's balance. Both between characters and for each individual character.

The posts that led to the question above:
            To be honest I believethe mind that wrote (or corrected) Sam's techobabble is more concerned with Altantis than SG-1. As are some of the people now not writing much at all and if they are it's for Atlantis.

Bottom line: Sam taked too much thought. it's much easier to write an "id" than a smart character. Especially if you want people to see "someone else" as more competent so need to dumb the others down. I mean characters, not the actors.

Suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
              For the record Astro - I agree with you and, sadly,
              Spoiler:
              hope the show gets canned
              . I will feel bad for AT, MS, CJ (but feel confident they will find at work pretty quickly, especially AT) and those behind the scenes on the crew but not for cooper, wright, mallozzi, et. al. TPKTS need to get a message, get their heads out of their a$$es and stick their arrogant attitudes there instead.
              You know...I could never hope for that...I hope for improvement and resolutions...I don't hope for it to be canned.
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                While in the Berkshires again, I had the good fortune to share another girls’ night out with Stargate’s two leading ladies. They continue to bare it all while sharing more of their experiences. Katie Couric, eat your heart out as Jester proudly presents …

The Hot Tub Dialogues - Redux

Jester: Tell me, what brings you both back to these lovely mountains and to the same hot tub?
                Sam: We had such a great time bonding at Thanksgiving that Val suggested we do it again. It’s been quite a year. At first, I didn’t know what to make of the chick. (Glances at Vala and both giggle.) She was just all over Daniel and, actually, most of the other guys at SGC too – even Woolsey for Apophis’ sake. Thank goodness, Jack was in Washington DC.
                Vala: Yes, I do seem to over-compensate at times for my past life, er, lives.
                Sam: See? That’s what bugs the heck out of me, Val. I mean, let’s be real here. I had the same problem with Jolinar. It’s not that easy being snaked and having a conversation with your other half. And Jolinar had to play naughty to make her escape. But I never let that become a part of my own libido.
                Vala (using a loofah to lather her bare arms): Different strokes for different folks.
                Jester: Excuse me, but I thought you two had bonded and wanted to hang out in this tub? It seems like your lifestyles are still pretty incompatible.
                Sam: It’s true. She’s into sensuality and, frankly, I’m into speed. Bikes turn me on.
                Vala: Bikers turn me on.
                Jester: Can we change gears here? (Sam and Vala groan.) I just mean … you’re giving me this second interview and I don’t want to miss the opportunity to really find out what made you two friends. I’m still not getting the connection.
                Sam: It had to happen. General Landry began to notice that we were not exactly seeing eye to eye at the briefings.
                Vala (now dabbing sunscreen on her cheeks): That whole technobabble thing is so b-o-r-i-n-g and, really Sam, I think it’s your way of being a big tease.
                Sam: Excuse me?
                Vala: You get up there at the blackboard and draw all those convoluted diagrams while playing with your pointer and tracing cryptic outlines … the guys are just panting by the time you get done.
                Sam (swatting a mosquito on her bare arm): I beg your pardon! Why do you reduce everything to the lowest common denominator? Nanotechnology and quantum physics happen to be my passions! I just get excited about sharing my theories, is all. I’m sure the men know and respect my expertise. They always have.
                Vala: Go easy with the pointer. Trust me and respect my expertise.
                Jester: Uh, can we get back to what made you two friends?
                Sam: It’s no big thing. We were out on a mission and Cam was calling the shots. The guy is out of control sometimes.
                Vala: Yes, on that we both agree.
                Sam: So, there we were in a dense forest - trying to pry a Prior from a tree.
                Jester: At least you had your priorities in place. (Another groan.)
                Sam: This Prior had a fear of dogs and women.
                Vala: And since there were no hounds around, I decided to climb the tree and shake the guy down.
                Jester: I hear you’re very good at shakedowns.
                Sam: She is. But on this particular mission, seeing her shimmy up that tree, I finally realized that, under her blatant sexuality and annoying humor, there was a brave soul struggling to burst free.
                Vala: You are so right! I’m always struggling to burst free, especially with some of the clothes I’ve had to wear as a Goa’uld. What is it about alien dressmakers?
                Sam: You’re drifting - finish the story for Jester.
                Vala: Well, I scrambled up this tree while the guys and Sam covered my ah, you know what, and the Prior started wailing. I grabbed his legs and started pulling with all my might.
                Sam: It was so, so brave. I’d like to say that the Prior turned white with fright, but we couldn’t tell.
                Vala: He put up quite a struggle, calling me every name in the holy book but I wouldn’t let go of his boots. He tried to shake me off but I managed to get hold of his belt and then yanked hard and he and I came sliding down the tree.
                Sam: Unfortunately, I wasn’t fast enough to jump out of the way and Vala and her captive landed on top of me.
                Vala: Sorry, Sam. I still wince when I remember that crash landing. There you were, under the Prior, and there I was, on top of him. The almighty preacher died right there on the spot. It was his fear of women that did him in.
                Sam: So true. Dr. Lam called it the worst case of gynophobia she had ever seen.
                Vala: Sam and I were in the infirmary for a few nights, some broken ribs and nasty bruises. It was then that she and I got our idea.
                Jester: Your ‘idea’?
                Sam: Yes, we were still not so friendly but misery loves company and we soon found ourselves chatting about everything and anything. It soon became very educational.
                Vala: I learned how to change spark plugs on a vintage Volvo and Sam learned how to …
                Sam: Let’s just get on with the main part of the story.
                Vala: We were going out of our skulls with boredom and wanted to get back to the Gate and the missions. Dr. Lam would not give us a clean bill of health so …
                Sam: We pulled resources and made a deal with the good doctor.
                Vala: Sam got permission to borrow a Goa’uld healing device and we took turns healing each other.
                Jester: Brilliant move!
                Sam: Yes, I learned a more aggressive technique and Vala learned how to self-control a bit better.
                Vala: Self control is one of my issues.
                Sam: From then on, we feel like we have entered into a special relationship, not quite buddies but more like empowered women.
                Jester: I’ll drink to that. In fact, I think it’s time for me to get out of the tub and make us all some Margaritas.
                Jester climbs out of the tub as she hears …
                Sam: Val, can I borrow the loofah?
                Vala: Yeah, if you throw that Modern Science magazine over here ….
                You truly are too brilliant CG...well done...again!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Hello everyone,
                  For the first time since April I have both a computer and access to the internet!
                  As of today I am the owner of a shiny new PC.

The last time I came here I told you all that I might not be back for a while because we were changing our home network router. I think that might have been just a bit of an understatement .

Changing the router turned out to be quite simple, though the change from wireless to wired did leave me without internet for a couple of weeks as my wireless network card was rendered useless, and it took me some time before I could buy the appropriate ethernet cable in 15metre length to reach my room.
                  During those weeks a worse fate struck my computer. One morning I was viewing some files on my computer when I thought I smelled something sweet like treacle. I went to the kitchen to see if someone in the house was cooking something that was burning, but nothing seemed to be wrong. On returning to my computer I found it in automatic reboot, and putting two and two together I hurriedly turned it off at the power. After taking it to a computer repair centre it was confirmed that my computer was indeed fried. Fortunately for me they could retrieve my data by putting my HD into an external case which I can now use as an external HD on my new computer via USB. However, there was to be no return to the living world for my PC.

The last few months have been a slow form of torture. I've had not only no access to the internet but limited access to any computer of any sort. I managed to get some time on one of the other computers in the house to watch the space shuttle launch this month via live streaming NASA tv, but I think that was because at 4am Australian time nobody else wanted to use it . It was well worth watching, and I'm immensely glad that both launch and landing went relatively smoothly in comparison to previous missions.

So here I am, finally. I've missed my Samandan family soooo much. I can't wait to go reading through the wonderful posts that have accumulated in my absence.
                  While the computer I have now is not as good as what I had hoped for my next PC, it's amazing me how much faster it is at accessing GW and other pages on the internet. All going well I hope to be around more now .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Here in Aus, Season 9 of SG-1 has only just recently started airing. I think we've had four episodes so far. While I'm not minding the new SG-1 show, I am also finding it relatively uninspiring. I am reserving full judgement for a while longer, but I have to say that I've been missing Sam. Her absence from the first episodes is certainly making a big difference to the show in my eyes. I'm hanging out for the episode in which she returns.
                    There is no doubt that Season 9 is very very different to all previous eight seasons. I'm not sure if I'll get used to the new style or the new characters, and I'm certainly not sure if I'll ever 'like' it. One thing I am sure of is that I'll never 'love' it, and I did love SG-1 once upon a time.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Re. the leader thing:

Originally posted by Gate gal
                      It may be an icky thought, but I'm betting it's right on the money. I don't think we're going to win this one Samandans.
                      I think you're worrying too much (I mean it nicely ) Having just watched Morpheus:
                      Spoiler:
                      The ensemble reference is accurate. There is no outright leader of the team, and I doubt the writers whould show Sam announcing what she's going to do and telling Cameron what to do like they did in this episode if they intended to say otherwise later (unless, of course, I'm being overly-optimistic about their consistency ). Given that this dynamic worked rather well for Morpheus, I have a hunch they'll stick with it.
                      Last edited by scarimor; 24 July 2006, 12:15 AM.
                      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                        Dude, you don't want that.

Spoiler:

Flesh and Blood
                        See Sam float.

See Sam float in space.

"Float here, Sam," said the Tok'Ra op-er-a-tive.

"Float, Sam, float! Float to the hatch."

Hee.
                        ROFL!

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          Ooooh, just thought I'd give you a Mother update.... she watched the first two episodes of season ten, and this is what she had to say...

[my responses in red]

Spoiler:

"Tell me again why that idiot is in charge?" Preach it, sistah!
                          "Vala's boooooring." *frowns at your Mum*
                          "This baby spawn of evil storyline's been done before." no $hit
                          "Where's Sam? I want more Sam." Yup
                          "Isn't Amanda looking fantastic?" *cheers your Mum*
                          "That was anti-climatic." uh-huh

Quite a turn around from the other month, huh?
                          Wotcha feedin her, TJ?
                          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            Mini I can't believe what I just read
                            You of all people...to be turned, to the other side
                            I mean, we were *sniff* like, like compadres, steadfast in our beliefs
                            And now I read...what you posted...well I'll just have to show you what I'm talking about....*sniff*
                            My goodness Mini!!!! It's HUMOUR!!!!!
                            When did they turn you into spelling it the other way [/spoilers]
                            LOL! D'oh! Sorry Mandy... I'd blame it on MS Word spellcheck, but I can't even do that here, can I?! Looks like I plumb forgot that U. *hangheadshame*

(What bothers me most though, is that some people think Humour actually STARTS with a U when they speak the word (gaaah-I hate the sound'a'that!) Even though I know, TECHNICALLY, it's right. Screw that. Hhhhhhumour!)

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

So, I'm sure you guys have all already talked about Amanda's AOL interview here already, but it does seem that Amanda's put the great big KAY-BAHSH on any "romance" between Carter and Mitchell .. which (IMHO!) is great news indeed. No chance of her becomming the girl who always falls for the other military guy...

Happy Monday!!!
                              geeek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                So, I'm sure you guys have all already talked about Amanda's AOL interview here already, but it does seem that Amanda's put the great big KAY-BAHSH on any "romance" between Carter and Mitchell .. which (IMHO!) is great news indeed. No chance of her becomming the girl who always falls for the other military guy...

Happy Monday!!!
                                geeek
                                Of course she put an end to a romance with Mitchell...she's already with and in love with Jack!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X