Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal

how did you do this??? i tried, but... i don't have the astro touch.

thanks!!

sally
    This is just wonderful. As Jack O'Neill himself said, 'if only...'

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      You do know they have those pics as wallpapers right?
      http://www.scifi.com/stargate/downloads/
      yes, i know, but i wanted the one where sam got statis ahead of the others.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
        You? Miss Negative? Nah, I don't buy it.

I had already decided on not buying season 9. I can use the money to buy NCIS Season 1 anyway.
        I'm never planned on buying the Season 9 dvd's. There's nothing in that season I would rewatch.

Comment

i think they're dumbing down everyone to pump up mitch

which kinda makes sense...if they had a whole season to write a competant, confident and qualified leader and couldn't do it because the existing characters set the bar too high....well just dumb down those characters, lower the bar and then mitch won't have quite so much tolive up to.

or...maybe more likely, we're gonna see a steady diet of coop's favorite trick - sacrifice one character to further another/the plot.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            no, they won't blame rda. they will blame us, the fans that just can't accept change and couldn't apprecaite the fantastic show they make

even brad is laying the groundwork for its cancellation with his comment in his interview about how the the show could have lasted longer had it been rebranded (ie changed its name)

all of their interviews for the past couple of months have hinted at or laid the groundwork for excuses when the show gets canned
            you mean just name it 'stargate: command', and have ben browder the lead and claudia black his female lead, and three has-beens as their 'supporting' cast?

all snarkiness aside, i still think we fans would have been irked because you can't take three leads and throw them into supporting players *without the fans throwing a fit*.

renaming the show wouldn't have worked. the only thing i 'think' would have is if at/ms/cj would never have been included to begin with. as long as they're on the show, the fans expect *them* to be the stars. at least to me.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
              Well, I'll agree with Brad on one thing. I would have rather they changed the name last year than put us through all that! Moebius 2 was a nice ending for the series, and while I love the show I don't love the direction that it took last year. Now, I really believe s10 will be better. Personally, I liked the season opener. I think they finally get that we want to see Sam on the screen. (Who's getting all the interviews? Not BB, but AT.) I actually like the new characters in their toned down state, and I can see hope in the spoilers. Hey, if s10 gives good team oriented shows then I will retract my comment about wishing SG1 had ended with s8.

Again, I am really ready and willing to like this season. I will stay positive.
              i haven't seen 'team' since season 8. team is more than a group of ppl working together. that's all s9's 'group' was to me. (sam-daniel-teal'c *jack* are team)

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

i think they're dumbing down everyone to pump up mitch

which kinda makes sense...if they had a whole season to write a competant, confident and qualified leader and couldn't do it because the existing characters set the bar too high....well just dumb down those characters, lower the bar and then mitch won't have quite so much tolive up to.

or...maybe more likely, we're gonna see a steady diet of coop's favorite trick - sacrifice one character to further another/the plot.
                I wonder how these new seasons are going to do, when its time for them to go into reruns on the numerous stations all over the world
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

ok guys, i'm obviously having as much fun as the next girl whining....but let's get this back about sam huh?

let's take the complaints to whingenuts or the rage thread and get this back to amanda and sam.

cause, you know, she's classier than the show ever will be, so we shouldn't let the show be dragging her thread down
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Mmm I don't know that it's excuse making. There is actually a business reality behind all this and Brad's comments are very valid.

For those who aren't aware, Sony is no longer involved in Stargate (or any MGM shows). MGM have decided to take tv back and make it an internally driven department rather than outsourcing the money. MGM are trying to rebuild their empire on the back of Stargate and a few other things... so that may be another layer of the comments from Brad and Rob. From a business perspective I can see the validity of the comments and it's an undeniable reality. But then overcoming challenges is part of the top job.. hope someone sent a memo to Cooper

I think a re-branding would have been a great thing too. With absolutely nothing different about season 9 or 10 other than the name, do you think we would be more accepting of it? I do.

Originally posted by majorsal
                    you mean just name it 'stargate: command', and have ben browder the lead and claudia black his female lead, and three has-beens as their 'supporting' cast?

all snarkiness aside, i still think we fans would have been irked because you can't take three leads and throw them into supporting players *without the fans throwing a fit*.

renaming the show wouldn't have worked. the only thing i 'think' would have is if at/ms/cj would never have been included to begin with. as long as they're on the show, the fans expect *them* to be the stars. at least to me.

sally
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                      I wonder if the writers hope that this will make Sam fans like Mitchell better.
                      If they do, they are very, very confused. In fact, they are doing everything they can to make us NOT like him.

Sooo....I've been away...there are so many pages...anything REALLY REALLY interesting I've missed? Like spoilers? (((spoilers)))

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but according to another thread and website, SG-1 took a big dip in ratings last week. Ratings for the original "Stargate SG-1" (1.7 million) are down 15 percent from the season average earlier this year, while spinoff "Stargate: Atlantis" (1.9 million) dropped 10 percent. And we all know that the high last year was a low compared to S8. Guess the outspoken loud-mouths across the internet aren't the only ones who are disappointed with the writing.

Check out the article here.

Edited: Just thought I'd point this out for those of you who hate math, if one rating point still equals approximately 1,340,000 viewers, that would mean that Stargate received a rating of 1.3 for it's season premiere and Atlantis was only at 1.4. So when the article stated that it's down 15 percent over last years season average, it also should have stated that it's down 10 percent from last years lowest rated episode, Ethon. That is if these numbers posted in the article are truly correct and each rating point is equivalent to last years values.
                        Wow
                        Originally posted by ajc.com, The Atlanta Jounal-Constitution
                        "This SciFi Network franchise took a laser hit to the gut"
                        ... and it's listed under 'Losers'...

article here.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          Wow ... and it's listed under 'Losers'...

article here.
                          Ouch.

And what's with all the anti threads all the sudden? You go away for a few days and everything changes!

To lighten things up, I give you this.

Spoiler:

Ah, better. Makes me happy again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            Baggage

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...al/baggage.jpg

For eight good years the cast was fine
                            The writers’ words flowed like wine

{snip}

All you have to do is smile back not frown
                            Baggage will never let you down
                            Great job.

You know, what TPTB thought would fix the show may actually destroy it. It's sad. Why fix something if it's not broken? Money, greed, and power.

CG, are you a writer in RL? You should be!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              Sadly Amanda has already stated her disapointment at the lack of team episodes. The team splits off quite a bit into two's apparently.

As for interviews I think things are going on for Amanda outside the Stargate World. The official Sci Fi mags have had little or nothing about Amanda or Sam in so far. The attention has been focused on BB and CB. Her exposure is picking up now because something has changed????

BW and The Boy Coop would never admit they made a blunder if the show floundered.

I said in a post quite a while ago that I think a lot of the stalwart SG1 viewers are a niche audience. The show was different from all the other sci fi shows. It was here and now and potentially real. The characters were on the whole believable, and the Stargate is unique. The series was also largely based around a tightly focused unit of four which we all grew to love.

The show now has changed quite a lot. It has become more like a lot of other sci fi shows. The technology has advanced at such a rapid pace that it is far in advance of anything we have now, ships are used more and more - the Stargate less and less. The characters - at least the new ones - are less grounded in human reality, the team focus is lost and the remaining big 3 seem to have had their characters changed to suit the new beat of the show. The camera direction is more akin to a CSI show rather than plain straighforwar shooting.

So why would people watch Stargate over any other sci fi show now?

All the elements I loved about the show have gone, and I think a lot of the general viewers, that do not bother with fandom, liked the show for the same reasons I did. I have stopped watching, it will be much easier for less than stalwart fans to stop watching too.

An ex work colleague was an occasional watcher of the show. However when he saw the first ep of season 9 with Vala in he said that this wasn't what SG1 is about and he wouldn't bother watching it again if that is the way they were going with the show. He actually said if he was interested in cleavage there were plenty of other channels he could watch with that and much more.

Trying to claim the show would have a longer shelf life if it was rebranded is a load of cobblers awls. It doesn't matter what a show is called if it isn't good people won't watch. The execs have actually changed the show a lot without rebranding. If viewing figures fall it means the previously regular fans have stopped watching. I'm not quite sure how still being called Stargate SG1 would stop fans who have watched the show for 8/9 seasons for watching now. The only "intelligent" answer is that people do not like the show which is being put out now.

I'm sure they will also try to blame it on the baggage of the big 3. Yes blame everyone and anything but yourselves chaps. That's real intelligence isn't it! "Consider the possibility!" why don't you.

However you never know. The ratings may be good and as many people who decide not to watch may be matched with new viewers, who have no beef about the changes which have been made to the show.
                              I'd green you if I could Coley!
                              Originally posted by chocdoc
                              Great post, Coley!

If they blame the original three---that would really be a joke. Seasons 7 and 8 did quite well on the backs of these three actors (and of course RDA, but much less so).

I think many fans wanted to see the original three have many more storylines in season 9 (and now 10), but obviously TPTB didn't get that. They wanted a whole new direction -- unfortunately it has alienated a significant portion of the fanbase. Maybe they can get the ratings up--but the only way I think this will happen is if we see some team again. That doesn't look like the case, so now I just look for a few really good moments with Sam in the episodes and
                              Spoiler:
                              maybe one or two good stories about her in the second half of season 10, if the TV Guide report is accurate.
                              Originally posted by Coley
                              It has tanked big time then!!!

I feel sorry for everyone who has worked so hard on the show.

I also feel sorry for BB and CB What they have been given to portray is so substandard. Did CB have to relocate from New Zealand to film the show? And the writers have run it into the ground?

Not sure SG1 needed 2 new main cast members but either of these 2 could have been incorperated into the show much more sucessfully IMO. Wouldn't it have been great to have CB as the new SG1 military member. 2 lead female, 2 lead males - just about right!!
                              Originally posted by RealmOfX
                              I had issues with S9 but I always had a sliver of hope that they could turn it around because I love Sam & Jack & Teal'c & Daniel & Janet & Hammond
                              And that is exactly where I was too,RoX!!

I think majorsal said it awhile back, but I've felt very, very torn over the past year... I didn't want the show to actually tank (I wanted it fixed back to what it was) but I hated the new direction of the show... Carter written out of command, a New Lead Male, with the show centered around him, the showrunners quoted as saying that the main characters were a bunch of screw-ups and they can't fathom why people watch the show, that the original actors are 'baggage', Carter and Teal'c as wallpaper, the newbies written as instant heroes and getting most or all of the limelight, stories that were too easily recognizable as having been lifted from other scifi series, loss of the Stargate itself as a major transportation tool or focus of the episodes, showrunners whining and dissing fan complaints, 'we don't know what to do with the character of Carter!'... then basically ignoring Sam... apparently because RDA left, so her thread was over... etc.

So, I haven't watched any episodes since Season 8 - and even then, I only watched New Order and Gemini. Really didn't want to see
                              Spoiler:
                              Jacob die, or say what he did as he passed on

And yet, for all that I didn't like... I keep hoping that they'd get it back on track. Get Carter back where she should be. In command. And one of the main heroes. Heroic in her actions, and someone that the viewers rally behind.

To be honest, some of what we've heard for upcoming Season 10 episodes might have some of that. They actually might. I actually have hope for tomorrow's episode Morpheus. And I did not hold out hope for any of the Season 9 episodes. Season 9 turned out worse than I expected, but I still didn't have much hope for any of the episodes. Season 10, however, looks to have some Sam focus in at least some of the episodes... and maybe that means that we'll see more of the Original Three?

It may, however, be too little, way too late.

I too feel sorry for the folks who didn't have the power, who didn't make the decisions that created the show's new direction. Folks like AT and CB and other such folks who work on the show and have to follow the directions and scripts that they are given.

Over the past few days, I've realized that I will be sad to see Stargate go off the air (especially if it ends in a ratings hole), but it has been dying a lingering death for all of Season 9 (they were apparently intent on killing it as they created these changes on purpose).

I will be sad to see Stargate go off the air, but the only thing that I will feel truly sorry about will be that some folks will lose thier paychecks - folks like AT and others who were nothing but troupers throughout all of this. That they will lost the security both financially - and emotionally, as they lose the 'family' and support network that they've been working with for so long.
                              they won't change it back. to do that would be to admit that they made a mistake. and they never admit that they made mistakes
                              Sigh. Opportunities lost.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                Yes, it's hard sometimes to remain positive. Support for AT quickly slides into disgust at opportunities lost.
                                And then I read a few posts further and see that Jckfan is right on my wavelength!

Comment

Working...
                                X