Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Wow, I totally disagree. I thought RDA was amazing in this episode. It wasn't really the torture scenes themselves that got me, it was the fact that Jack seemed to truly come close to a breaking point mentally. There are times in the past when it was obvious to me that RDA didn't feel comfortable doing a particular scene, but I thought MS and RDA were brilliant together in this episode. I've watched this episode a dozen times and this particular scene at least a hundred times and it just as heart-wrenching as the first.

Jack: "Daniel...you have to end this."
    Daniel: "Jack, you just have to hang in there a little while longer..."
    Jack: "No...I can't go back in there. If I go back, I swear to God, I'll give Ba'al what he wants, I'll tell him."
    Daniel: "What?"
    Jack: "That he loved her."
    Daniel: "Kanan?"
    Jack: "He came back for her. He wanted to save her."
    Daniel: "Ba'al doesn't know this..."
    Jack: "If he finds out, he'll do to her what he's doing to me. Daniel, if you don't end this...I'll tell him."
    Daniel: "You won't have to...it's almost over Jack."
    I loved this scene, too. In fact I liked the whole interaction between Jack & Daniel. I also felt it was the beginning of Daniel rethinking ascension and being aware of his frustruation in not being able to do anything really helpful.
    In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
    so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
    Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
    Hic Comitas Regit
    Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      remembering that rollercoaster ride!

Hopefully it did Amanda some good

Though she was very upset about the resulting rumours

But is showed TPTB just how much support she and Sam have

The GABIT 4 were not impressed

We haven't been blacklisted

Huh? What rumours? Darn did I miss the juicy parts
      Well if you don't want to spread the rumours...you can always PM me
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Okay - anyone here who could lend a hand at the celeb site voting for Amanda please come on over!!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

Captions?
          Sam: With all due respect Sir, I will not undo “just another button” on my uniform.

Daniel: Yeah, you tell him Sam!!!

Teal’c (thinks): Speak for yourself, Daniel Jackson…

Comment

Okay - anyone here who could lend a hand at the celeb site voting for Amanda please come on over!!
            Yeah, come on over - everyone who votes gets a drink off Coley!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
              Huh? What rumours? Darn did I miss the juicy parts
              Well if you don't want to spread the rumours...you can always PM me
              Some other people who read out factual report on the thread took it and posted elsewhere, then there were rumours about Amanda leaving the show apparently. Amanda had to post on her website (when she was on holiday with her family) that the rumours were not true.

Needless to say I won't be doing any factual reporting from GABIT2! Darren actually took our posts and made them front page news on Gateworld. I wasn't best pleased I can tell you.

It started a fervour on Gateworld over Sam and the leadership issue and her potentially doing only 10 shows on SG1 nad 10 on Atlantis etc. There was a groundswell of support for Amanda and Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                Yeah, come on over - everyone who votes gets a drink off Coley!!!

Yeah! Just come on over to the Isle of Lewis!!

Comment

Yeah! Just come on over to the Isle of Lewis!!
                  I should have known I'd find you and Tone over here right now!! Telling the tale of the GABIT1 exitement .... hmm ... maybe I should post my old poem of the event back up here for the newbies.

You better be brewing a lot of sloe gin my friend as the party in your room is growing bigger and bigger ...

Comment

Get voting CG!! I'm off to take Hu out, then to bed!! ttfn

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                      Sam: With all due respect Sir, I will not undo “just another button” on my uniform.

Daniel: Yeah, you tell him Sam!!!

Teal’c (thinks): Speak for yourself, Daniel Jackson…
                      Naughty boy ... I can't open the picture but I know you, Tone!

Comment

Some other people who read out factual report on the thread took it and posted elsewhere, then there were rumours about Amanda leaving the show apparently. Amanda had to post on her website (when she was on holiday with her family) that the rumours were not true.

Needless to say I won't be doing any factual reporting from GABIT2! Darren actually took our posts and made them front page news on Gateworld. I wasn't best pleased I can tell you.

It started a fervour on Gateworld over Sam and the leadership issue and her potentially doing only 10 shows on SG1 nad 10 on Atlantis etc. There was a groundswell of support for Amanda and Sam.
                        Well, I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Who knows? If you guys hadn't said anything, we probably wouldn't even be here right now. The network and the studio needed to see that the actress and the character have a lot of fans.

While I pretty much am hoping that she just cuts her ties with these guys ASAP (or as soon as she's ready), I'm glad she stayed on for at least one more year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                          Hi All,

I finally got back home Sunday night (hubby and I took a roadtrip along the northern East Coast after Shore Leave).

And I worked on my pics the whole day yesterday. I know it's late in the game, but you can check out my Amanda pics from Shore Leave here. (Shore Leave is listed on the left-hand side, click on it and then on a pic to get into a gallery. In each gallery you can click on the thumbnails to see bigger pictures.) I also have lots of pictures of Carmen, Corin, Connor, and Jamie, and I will be uploading them throughout the week. So if you are interested in seeing more, check back later in the week. Oh, and before I forget, I have to thank my husband for taking all these pictures, since I was way too excited to hold a camera, much less to actually take a decent picture.

I've also been trying to catch up with everything on the thread (only about 50 pages, LOL) and I think everybody who was there pretty much addressed everything. But if there are more questions, go ahead and ask me and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Here are just some of my personal experiences at the con (and sorry, my post turned out longer than I thought):

I had signed up for a photo op with Amanda. I was sooo nervous waiting in line, but when I finally met Amanda, I was as calm as can be. I introduced myself, told her that I was from Samanda and how much we all appreciate her and everything she has done on Stargate and I said "Hi" from all the Samandans. She gave me a big hug (which was totally unexpected and very cool, I for one would have been too shy to ask for one) and then we "aligned" for the picture. They had put a little mark on the floor where to stand and so Amanda moved me to the right spot. She joked that she would get yelled at otherwise. After they took the pic, she gave me another hug (definitely something I could get used to, LOL) and off I went a totally happy camper.

After that I met up with the other Samandans who had signed up for the group photo op. When we got in, I introduced myself to Carmen and Corin. In the pic I ended up next to Corin who was very nice and way cute.

During Corin's session on Sunday I went out real quick to get Carmen's autograph, because he was about to leave, and when I tried to sneak back in, Corin caught me and said that I was interrupting everything. I was so embarrased but managed to smile at him anyways. Later when I got his autograph on the photo op picture, he remembered me and said that he had only been joking and we chatted for a while and he gave me a hug. He is such a nice guy. I also chatted with Carmen for quite a bit and told him how much I missed Jacob. He is such a sweet and charming man and he also gave me a hug when I left.

Now, Amanda's autograph lines were something quite different. She was the absolute star of the con so you had to wait in line for quite some time. I got in line on Saturday and when it was my turn, she commented on my photo op picture and we chatted for about a minute. On Sunday I got in line again, this time with hubby, who also wanted to get an autograph. I let him go first, and he was absolutely overwhelmed when he finally met her. He also got to take a nice pic of Amanda with her incredible smile. Somehow, Amanda remembered me from the photo op session and when she realized that the guy in front of me was my husband she told me how nice it was that we both share the same interest and came together. I had her sign the group photo op, and she took a moment to read what Carmen and Corin had written, which totally cracked her up. She took my hand again and told me how nice it was to meet me and that she hopes to see me again and whether I was going to Gabit. I told her that I would try. She wished me a safe trip home and I did the same...
                          I have to add that both times Amanda had already signed about 600 or more pictures. And yet she was as gracious and sweet as in the beginning and made meeting her special for every fan.

Besides the fact that you could tell from the autograph lines that Amanda was the one everybody wanted to see, it was also quite clear from how crowded the ballroom got when it was her turn for the Q&A. When she came out on Saturday it seemed as if she was quite surprised herself, she even commented on how crowded it was.

I also thought it was quite lovely how Carmen and Corin talked about Amanda. It turned out that Amanda is Corin's favorite "prop" on set that he would have liked to take home with him. And, to see Carmen and Amanda together on Sunday, that was just a wonderful treat.

I have to say, I was very nervous when I left for the Con on Thursday, but it was one of the best experiences I ever had. Amanda is awesome on stage and so much fun to watch. And she is so nice and sweet in person, it was more than I ever expected.

I also have to say that meeting all the GW people was a treat in itself. I had so much fun meeting each and everyone of you and I especially enjoyed our late night get togethers. You guys rock and you made a con addict out of a con virgin, LOL.

I have been entertaining the thought of going to Gabit, but now more than ever am I going to try to make it reality. I have some issues with the timing of Gabit, but hopefully it will work out. The good thing is that before, hubby was not too excited about me wanting to go to London, but now that he's met Amanda, he is actually open to the idea. She definitely impressed him big time and won him over in a heartbeat.
                          Terrific report and you now know why we come away from meeting Amanda with Samagic sprinkled on us ... Her beauty and her humor are infectious.

Bless hubby for such great candids! Yes, you two have now got the bug and will be checking airfares soon for London. Watch out for Coley's gin!

Comment

Get voting CG!! I'm off to take Hu out, then to bed!! ttfn
                            She doesn't write, she doesn't call and I barely get a ttfn! Humph!

Comment

Brilliant post Kat and I share your feelings on that. It's the overcoming of horrific events that draws me, not the events themselves. And oooh the glares

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Ah guess I'm the only one who actually enjoys the occassional torture scene, because I thoroughly enjoyed Jack in the Abyss, Sam in New Order and Teal'c in Serpent's Venom. I actually really enjoyed the Xena episodes where she got the snot beat out of her and she'd just glare and stand up for more. Don't get me wrong. I'm not really one for watching violence. I don't like gore and blood just for the hell of it, but episodes like the above really get the heart pumping for me. They keep me sitting on the edge of my seat, riveted to the television screen. Perhaps because I wish I had that kind of inner strength and will power. I know it sounds twisted, but it really gets the adrenaline flowing to see my favorite characters taken to their breaking points and hold strong. Lucy and Chris are especially good at these types of scenes. They both have a wonderful glare...that frightening look that screams 'If I still had the strength to stand, I'd rip your heart out and shove it down your throat.' Each time they are beaten down and stand back up I can hear the silent mantra 'You may destroy my body, but you will never destroy my will.'

Even in scenes like New Order and Abyss where we see Sam and Jack both taken so close to the edge - their bodies, minds and spirits are so weakened that see their inner walls start to crumble and deteriorate - I get this queasy feeling in the pit in my stomach and overwhelming joy in my heart to see them try to hold things together. To me it's moments like these that allow us to see even for a brief moment how truly strong these characters are, because I know if I had been in their positions I would have given up long ago and I admire that strength and spirit.

It's one of the reasons I loved the scenes with Replicarter and Daniel in Reckoning II so much. It wasn't the same sort of torturous scene, but it gave me the same adrenaline rush I get with the others. When RC and Daniel are mentally fighting, trying to gain control over the replicators and Daniel's eyes snap open and then RC's open and she gasps and stares at him and he says 'Got ya know'. I literally got this chill down my back. I knew Daniel wasn't going to be able to keep the upper hand for long, but he never gave up. He fought until the bitter end. I do feel that often the writers go overboard as is the case with Teal'c being tortured. In my opinion when the storylines are well written, the torture scenes add strength to the episode; however, in cases like Stronghold the torture scenes did nothing for me. They just felt as if they were added in just for the hell of it with no real reason. Hmm, so what will we do with Teal'c in this episode? He's been taken prisoner so that Mitchell can rescue him. Oh hey! Let's just torture him. That will be cool. Like I said, violence for the sake of showing violence I can do without.

Hmm, I'm starting to ramble now. Sorry for my little soapbox speech on the benefits of a good torture scene. LOL
                              sigpic

Comment

Transcript for Urban Rush Interview with Amanda Part I
                                Spoiler:

Michael: Welcome back to Urban Rush once again. Urban Rush SG-1 we’re calling this special episode I think.

Fiona: We certainly are because we’re on the set of Stargate and we are joined now by Amanda Tapping who we just congratulated because not only has she had a baby since the last time we saw her (Amanda is making a lot of silly gestures and facial expressions), she is now a Lt. Colonel Sam Carter.

Amanda: Thank you very much. (big grin) Thank you very much.

Fiona: Now first off, we just got to meet your baby daughter. Olivia is very cute.

Amanda: She is very cute.

Fiona: Does she come to work with you every day?

Amanda: Every single day…because I’m still breast feeding so I can…it’s a long stretch to the house there.

Michael: (sitting back in chair) Lets talk about breast feeding.

Fiona: Michael…

Michael: I know I’m a one track pony.

Fiona: but Lieutenant…Lieutenant Colonel. When did this promotion happen?

Amanda: L… wow, um…last year. *clip of Sam being promoted*

Fiona: Last year?

Amanda: Yeah.

Michael: Do you get confused…

Amanda: I do.

Michael: …of what season you’re doing?

Amanda: …because it’s nine and it just seems odd.

Michael: Yeah.

Amanda: Yeah, I got promoted at the beginning of season eight…when Richard Dean Anderson got promoted to General.

Fiona: Right.

Michael: General…you got the bump up because you’re his fave: the unrequited love.

Amanda: The un-requit-ed Looooove. (very silly face)

Michael: (raises hands into the air defensively) It’s not like I follow the show. (Amanda laughing)

Fiona: Not at all.

Fiona: Now you have fun here obviously.

Amanda: Clearly. Yeah. That’s why it’s easy to come back for the ninth. (giggling)

Fiona: What is your favorite thing about working on the show?

Amanda: People. My peoples.

Fiona: Yeah.

Amanda: No it is. It’s the atmosphere. It’s a real family atmosphere which is why I felt it was a safe and comfortable environment to bring my newborn.

Clip of Amanda dressed in BDUS pushing a red baby buggy- AT: Shhh, baby sleeping.

Amanda: We have some of the same people who have been working on the show for nine years. I mean we’re a family…so

Clip from New Order Pt. 1 when Sam tells Daniel that she got permission for Teal’c and herself to go look for Jack but Daniel had to stay at the SGC.

Michael: Do you ever find yourself… and I’m only asking this question because this is what I would do, but I’ve become a bit of a slacker. Like after nine years, do you have to watch because you are so comfortable in this environment…

Amanda: You have to…yeah.

Michael: …that you are focused and maintaining…

Amanda: Yeah you have to be really aware that um what we do every day doesn’t become autopilot because people are watching for the first time sometimes, you know? And the thing that keeps me going and this is going to sound hokey as hell, but I get letters from young girls saying ‘My grades have improved in math and science’…and from teachers.

Fiona: Well of course because your character is a science pro.

Amanda: So I feel like a huge responsibility to not slack off.

Michael: Wow.

Amanda: Yeah.

Michael: I’m glad no one relies on me for anything like that.

Fiona: I know…You must be so used to it by now, but even in the scene we just watching you do…the language…the science language that you need to wrap your mouth around. Is that tough sometimes? But after nine years it must be like being a science teacher. You get so used to it.

Amanda: (Jokingly) I am a scientist after nine years. (big smile) I have my PhD in (talking out of the side of her mouth) Theoretical Astrophysics.

Michael: Maybe someone will give you a honorary degree, wouldn’t that be cool?

Fiona: Have you ever tried to get one?

Amanda: No, but I hear you guys are starting a letter writing campaign.

Fiona: (points to Amanda) For you?

Michael: For ourselves, not for you.

Amanda: For you guys…that’s what I’m saying. That’s what I’m saying…for yourselves. What would your degree be in?

Fiona: Nonsense… for sure.

Michael: (raises hand as if in school) Geography and Phys-Ed.

Amanda is giggling from his answer.

Fiona: Phys-Ed, there ya go.

Michael: I still have dreams. (laughing) I don’t know why.

Michael: Do you actually… I mean you must… you must learn some things.

Amanda: I do actually.

Michael: I mean even though they may make a lot of stuff up…you must learn some stuff.

Amanda: But you know it’s all based in science fact because our fans are too astute. We get called on every minute detail.

Fiona: Oh Sci-Fi fans are hard core…

Amanda: They really are…so we get called on it. So I look up all the stuff that I have to say and I break it down into layman’s terms. Sometimes even draw myself pictures.

Fiona: That’s good though.

Amanda: It’s really pathetic.

Michael: Do you really draw pictures? *laughing*

Amanda: Yeah, and I explain it to my husband and if he gets it then… I know in my layman’s terms then I…

Fiona: That must really help as an actor to understand what the words are so…

Amanda: Totally, it would be really easy to fake after all this time. Sorta go ‘blah-blah--multisyllabic-multisyllabic-blah-blah’, but I think it would show that I really don’t get it.

Michael: Can I just revisit the fact that you run it by your husband and if he understands it…

Amanda giggling.

Amanda: He’s sweet, but…

Fiona: If he goes to sleep…bad…if he understands it…good.

Amanda: No, because he’ll go ‘What the hell are you talking about?’ and if I can break it down and go ‘Here, this is what it means…’ and he goes ‘Oh, I understand’.

Michael: Now you guys have been doing this…and you have been doing this for nine years, but with the new cast, you guys are doing your ninth season right now as we speak. We’ve mentioned this to every one, it really feels like it’s almost like a new beginning in a way. You know you bring that fresh blood in there and man you can go on forever.

Clip of Browder, Black and Bridges.

Amanda: Yeah, it feels like a new show.

Michael: Uh, would you keep on keeping on?

Amanda: (very serious) I don’t know. I really don’t. It’s like a double-edged sword. God, what a gig? I’m an actor with a steady gig in this town where it’s been up and down and up and down.

Fiona: …but after nine years this is one of the longest running shows and it’s unheard of…have you thought of what you would do if you weren’t doing the character you’re doing now on Stargate.

Amanda: Yeah, but of course I do but I also think that I could be pounding the payment and auditioning daily. I also have to think now of Olivia. You know, if we came back for another year I’d want her with me. What’s that going to be like having a one year old running around the set.

Fiona: She’s gonna grow up in outer space.

Amanda: I know. I know.

Fiona: Now as an actor…

Amanda: I’ve already put therapy aside, there’s a whole contingency fund.

Michael: You’ve got Peter Deluise…a one year old…you know they could just run around together.

Amanda: (giggling) They totally can.
                                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 18 July 2006, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X