Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    <snip for space > I have no idea how to paraphrase what she said without her name incurring the wrath of every S/J shipper between here and Venus, so I'll just say how I interpreted what she said.

Keep in mind that this is a minor interpretation.

Of someone who calls herself "spaz."

It could be very far off. It could be somewhat true.

She joked about ship when asked, and she did admit that it gets a bit old. Based on what she said and how she said it last weekend, I'd imagine she totally understands the dynamic between Sam and Jack. But, I mean, come on, the very first question asked of her was literally, "Is so-and-so a good kisser?" I think it was David Hewlett.

It's like it's all she's known as. And considering she's ALWAYS said that she doesn't want to become The Girl for The Lead Guy, I'm guessing it's probably pretty unnerving to be asked such questions at every turn TEN years after she started the character. She was still very funny about all of it at the con, though. She didn't bemoan the suggestion, and she didn't point fingers, scoff or growl. She simply suggested that there's more to the character than the ship.

But, again, that's just an interpretation. A minor one. I have no idea how she really feels, as she didn't go that far.

Oh, and the spoilerish stuff was just about details you can find at GW or Solutions from the episode, "Uninvited." There were no big revelations or anything, but it'd probably be considered a bit spoilerish by anyone who's opposed to spoilers of any kind. Other than that, it's same-old, same-old.
    I agree with your interpretation. Whenever I've read comments in interviews or reports from cons where AT has stated she doesn't want to be just The Girl for the Lead Guy or seen pining for 'sir' and being googly-eyed, I've always taken it to mean she doesn't want Sam to become completely defined by her feelings for a guy. There's a lot more to the character than simply ship. (And I do say this as a S/J shipper myself).
    sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
      I am so glad AT and CB have chosen to make Sam and Vala friends. I really can't wait to see these two strong women on screen together. Scifi has always been kind of a boy's club, but these two have the power to change that for good. I hope the writers and PTB will cooperate with them (as they did with Sam and Janet). Sam and Vala have the potential to be the next Jack and Daniel. Jack and Daniel were so different in the early seasons that they drove each other crazy, but they always had each other's backs. As the seasons went on, they really rubbed off on each other and their friendship grew. If the PTB will let Sam and Vala's relationship take that course then the female viewers who are barely hanging on may take a new intrest in the show. Ratings will go up and the series can continue. Honestly, I could forgive a lot of things (leadership and romantic ship issues) if SG-1 could pull off this friendship in a believable way. Now, I still want to see the guys buddying up and I want some major team dynamics. I guess I want it all.
      You're not the only one who wants it all

I'm just not at all sure that the writers will be able to lift their game in S10 and not only provide worthy material for these actresses but also get back the quality and style of the earlier seasons while they head in their "new direction". Please TPTB be all means prove me wrong.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
        Who is your favorite character (non ship) to see on screen with Sam?
        Well that have to be Janet. I know that she is dead but they really had some great scenes with eachother. You really could see the friendship they had toghether.
        IMO the first ep. they realy conected with eachother was Hathor. They really started a great friendship there. And in that ep. you could see that there was trust on both sides. And because of that trust they started to band towards friendship.
        and the friendship started to grow. I mean in Singularity, you could already see that Sam knew a little more of Janet. She knew than that Janet would keep Cassie.(ok that is maybe a little thing, but that says enough about the friendship that started, cause in Hathor she really didn't know that much of Janet)
        And well as the years passed, you saw a great friendship between them, till Janet died.

Also the interaction between her and Teal'c is getting better and better. In the first season I really didn't knew if they actually had a good band. But with season 7 I started to see them as friends, as really good friends. On a level that doesn't need much words to understand eachother. sometimes the look Teal'c gave to Sam says enough and gives enough support to Sam, just to know that he will always be there for her, when she has a hard time

And well I also like the thing she has going on with Barett. I think it is just to funny. I mean you know that he likes her but she doesn't like him in the way that he wants to. I think they are nice together as friends. And they really started to trust eachother and helping eachother out whenever the other has problems. I would love to see where this is going in season 10, but I don't think that is going to happen

And the band and the story line she has with her dad is also one of the better. you see from where they come and what they have been throught together in the past. but because of Selmak you see a totally different Jacob who has a really strong band with her daughter.

Comment

Leadership issue:

There is nothing that the writers can do now to ameloriate their decision. The institutional sexism these men demonstrated when putting a man who'd never seen a stargate before in a leading role on a SG team, pushing aside the experienced woman, simply has to stand as a blight on the show, a testament to the industry's institutional gender bias, and a reminder that given the option, people will be stupid.

It's there. No amount of scribbling and fudging and revisionist rationalising can change it. They did it. They exposed themselves to inevitable contempt and ridicule. It's done and the shame is stuck there.

They should just ignore it now rather than dig themselves in deeper, but I doubt they can figure that out either.
          scarimor

Comment

Good night everyone...I'll be back tomorrow...looking forward to reading about season 10 soon!! Take care and be safe!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

im dreading the upcoming conversation between mitchell and landry, i rarely dread upcoming events in stargate, quite the opposite in fact. i can never get over sam losing her command, unless she is given it back, which will never happen. I was looking forward to season nine so much, sam in command is something i have always wanted to see explored in depth, and now it will never happen.

The problem with season 9 for me wasn't the quality and actually entertainment value of it, i like the ori, not as much as the goa'uld and i never will. but i found them interesting. For every episode of stargate i have rated them out of ten, and have gotten the season average. season 9 is a bit less than Season 2, 3 and 6 (which are about even) but higher than season 1. (the other seasons being higher than these). Even though according to these facts these seasons i rate very similar, when i think about them season 9 is quite far below them, due to the annoying things that have happend, carter and teal'c wallpaper (sometimes daniel) carter losing command (i hate them for this) no longer having the team feeling (which is not them rarely being in the same scene, they no longer feel like a team). these things have ruined some of the enjoyment of the show.

even with these annoyances i still think season 9 is way better than other sci fi shows i watch (BSG included). i just expect more out of a show that i have enjoyed far more then even star trek, which is what i grew up absolutely loving (and still do even after it's fall from grace). the only show the came close to SG1 was DS9. But i believed SG1 to be the stronger overall (due to the dynamic and characters in the show. With out the sg1 dynamics i have come to love it falls rapidly, no matter how good the stories or actors are (and i honestly still think they are very good, the actors are awesome, new ones included).

All of the problems with season 9 can be changed in season 10, i think that carter, teal'c and daniel will spend more time together now that the new characters have there dynamics with the existing ones. I believe they should, but know they wont give sam command back.

SG1 was one of a kind, a true diamond in the rough, lets hope they can get there diamond back..

[end rant]

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                Leadership issue:

There is nothing that the writers can do now to ameloriate their decision. The institutional sexism these men demonstrated when putting a man who'd never seen a stargate before in a leading role on a SG team, pushing aside the experienced woman, simply has to stand as a blight on the show, a testament to the industry's institutional gender bias, and a reminder that given the option, people will be stupid.

It's there. No amount of scribbling and fudging and revisionist rationalising can change it. They did it. They exposed themselves to inevitable contempt and ridicule. It's done and the shame is stuck there.

They should just ignore it now rather than dig themselves in deeper, but I doubt they can figure that out either.
                I totally agree. That's the only issue in Stargate that has ever made me hopping mad! I mean they go to all the trouble of writing one of television's most strong, competent female role models (with a LOT of help from Amanda I might add!) and then cast her to one side as soon as the male lead leaves! I mean I know Amanda missed a few episodes at the beginning of the season but so what? Rick has missed more than that in the past and the writers never sidelined him! (BTW I'm not saying that it has anything to do with Rick at all, if anything I think if he was still on the show, if the issue had ever occurred, the writers wouldn't have dared to disrespect Carter like that!)

Having come from a school where the women's lib movement was thrown in my face practically every day I have to say that I'm deeply disappointed with TPTB on this issue. I expected more than that after 8 years of (more or less) equal roles!
                Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Leadership issue:

Promoting Sam would acknowledge the mistake they had made in taking command away from her in the first place and show that they weren't too proud to admit their mistake and to try to rectify it.

I would certainly have more respect for TPTB if they did this, but it wouldn't erase the original wrong.

There are several options open to TPTB, none of them ideal.

1. They can promote Sam to full colonel and have her retake command of SG-1 officially. This option need not involve restructuring the credits.

2. While nothing is ever said officially, they can show Sam leading the team, as commander of SG-1 in all but name, with Mitchell deferring to her leadership at all times.

3. They leave the issue muddy, showing both Sam and Mitchell in command of different missions. While the co-command option may be more or less okay if Season Ten is to be (a) the last season of SG-1, (b) the last season with Mitchell or (c) the last season, Heaven forbid, with Sam, if there is to be an eleventh season that includes both characters, the co-command issue must be dealt with.

4. While nothing is said officially, Mitchell takes control of the missions, with all other characters, including Sam, deferring to his "leadership" at all times.

5. Mitchell is promoted to full colonel and is confirmed as sole leader of SG-1.

The first option and, to a lesser extent, the second option, will show that TPTB are willing to acknowledge that they made a mistake and to correct it as best they can.

The third option is a bit of a coward's way out, but it has the advantage of not ticking off either those who believe Sam should be in sole command or those who believe that Mitchell should be in sole command any more than they are already.

The fourth option will confirm that TPTB have no intention of trying to redeem themselves after the sexist decision that was made in Season Nine.

The fifth option will confirm that TPTB have no intention of trying to redeem themselves after the sexist decision that was made in Season Nine and that they can't count.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT

All of the problems with season 9 can be changed in season 10, i think that carter, teal'c and daniel will spend more time together now that the new characters have there dynamics with the existing ones. I believe they should, but know they wont give sam command back.

SG1 was one of a kind, a true diamond in the rough, lets hope they can get there diamond back..

[end rant]
                    During one of her Q&A sessions at Shore Leave, AT said
                    Spoiler:
                    she went to them and told them they need to give Sam, Teal'c and Daniel some moments together. She was disappointed at the amount to which this actually happened with what is in the can thus far, i.e. the first half of the season.

color me so unsurprised....
                    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

Keep in mind that this is a minor interpretation.

She joked about ship when asked, and she did admit that it gets a bit old. Based on what she said and how she said it last weekend, I'd imagine she totally understands the dynamic between Sam and Jack. But, I mean, come on, the very first question asked of her was literally, "Is so-and-so a good kisser?" I think it was David Hewlett.

It's like it's all she's known as. And considering she's ALWAYS said that she doesn't want to become The Girl for The Lead Guy, I'm guessing it's probably pretty unnerving to be asked such questions at every turn TEN years after she started the character. She was still very funny about all of it at the con, though. She didn't bemoan the suggestion, and she didn't point fingers, scoff or growl. She simply suggested that there's more to the character than the ship.
                      This is also how I interpreted her comments. She actually became quite serious at one point, especially when she said she went to TPTB and told them to quit teasing around the Sam/Jack thing.

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        oh, chelle, don't feel bad! you didn't say anything that most of us weren't wanting to know too. curiosity is not evil, it's what you do with that curiosity that makes the case. (hmm, why am i getting flashes of a certain curious cop? )

sally
                        Hey Sal, I think you are spot on - its what you do with it. Once they found out who I was, several of our GW people's immediate question was to see pictures of my daughter. I have no reason to think that it was motivated by anything other than people's affection for me and/or their love of kids. I also agree that what some people can do with that can be scary - especially from Amanda's point of view, not to mention Olivia's. Anyway, I'm not going to bring it up again here. Some people seem uncomfortable with it and I can respect that.
                        Last edited by WhatFateAlmondRoca; 13 July 2006, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                          I totally agree. That's the only issue in Stargate that has ever made me hopping mad! I mean they go to all the trouble of writing one of television's most strong, competent female role models (with a LOT of help from Amanda I might add!) and then cast her to one side as soon as the male lead leaves! I mean I know Amanda missed a few episodes at the beginning of the season but so what? Rick has missed more than that in the past and the writers never sidelined him! (BTW I'm not saying that it has anything to do with Rick at all, if anything I think if he was still on the show, if the issue had ever occurred, the writers wouldn't have dared to disrespect Carter like that!)

Having come from a school where the women's lib movement was thrown in my face practically every day I have to say that I'm deeply disappointed with TPTB on this issue. I expected more than that after 8 years of (more or less) equal roles!
                          A thing to add: while this has done no harm to AT's image (who remains as cool as ever), it dosn't do Ben Browder any favours. No matter how good he is about it, he will be associated with the sexist decision because he plays the ill-conceived male character which was written to diss the existing female one. It's not his fault - there's nothing he can do about it; but it's unpalatable.
                          scarimor

Comment

A thing to add: while this has done no harm to AT's image (who remains as cool as ever), it dosn't do Ben Browder any favours. No matter how good he is about it, he will be associated with the sexist decision because he plays the ill-conceived male character which was written to diss the existing female one. It's not his fault - there's nothing he can do about it; but it's unpalatable.
                            Good point. Unless BB demanded that Mitchell be leader, which I doubt, this mess isn't his fault but his name will still be associated with it.

Comment

Who is my favorite character to see AT/Sam with?

I think I'll pick a minor character for variety. I thought the chemistry with the actor who played Warrick from Hebridia in Space Race was pretty cool. I know a lot of people don't like that ep, but I loved it. The whole ep was captured in AT's line, "What's a girl to do?" I also liked that we got to see Sam outside of her usual element - without the team, on Hebridia and not earth, participating in a race to the death. Pretty cool opportunity for AT and I thought it came out great.

Jack: "Hey, that's not our language."
                              Sam: "Its mine, sir."

HAHA!

Comment

Amanda's doing well, but the more votes she gets the better. http://www.celeeb.com/amanda-tapping/

Christopher Judge is down at 78th place, if anyone could send a couple of votes his way. http://www.celeeb.com/christopher-judge/

Comment

Working...
                                X