Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chelle db
    The interest in Olivia is just curiosity...I for one am not at all interested in making a deal of it...it was simply a question as to what the little one looks like and it's quite harmless. I myself am a mother of two absolutley gorgeous kids and I too would do everything in my power to protect them and if I was in Amanda's shoes..I would do exactly the same thing. I read that she was at a con and Alan had bought Olivia out and all those who were there were asked to not take photo's.
    Please don't think that all of us who ask about Olivia are frightening!!! I certainly do not want to intrude on Amanda's private life..it was simply a querie...a very innocent one at that. Sorry if you see it differently.
    oh, chelle, don't feel bad! you didn't say anything that most of us weren't wanting to know too. curiosity is not evil, it's what you do with that curiosity that makes the case. (hmm, why am i getting flashes of a certain curious cop? )

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Well it's not a Sam video, but it does have Sam in it and I found it to be rather entertaining.
      So if you haven't seen it already, check out Nibbiko's Vogue Music Video

Comment

I am so glad AT and CB have chosen to make Sam and Vala friends. I really can't wait to see these two strong women on screen together. Scifi has always been kind of a boy's club, but these two have the power to change that for good. I hope the writers and PTB will cooperate with them (as they did with Sam and Janet). Sam and Vala have the potential to be the next Jack and Daniel. Jack and Daniel were so different in the early seasons that they drove each other crazy, but they always had each other's backs. As the seasons went on, they really rubbed off on each other and their friendship grew. If the PTB will let Sam and Vala's relationship take that course then the female viewers who are barely hanging on may take a new intrest in the show. Ratings will go up and the series can continue. Honestly, I could forgive a lot of things (leadership and romantic ship issues) if SG-1 could pull off this friendship in a believable way. Now, I still want to see the guys buddying up and I want some major team dynamics. I guess I want it all.

Comment

Wow...

TWO THOUSAND

Two Hundred

and

Seventy Four Pages!

Just... Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            yeah. what's one of the greatest crits of Voyager????? what killed it for me??? when it became the Jeri Ryan show.

yeah, seven was cool, but not the focus every frelling week. and if it wasn't her it was the doctor.

focus too much on a single character/actor, you become solely dependant on that actor's fans...which usually kills a show cause no actor has enough of a draw to carry an ensemble show on his/her own. if they did, they wouldn't be IN an ensemble show
            Oh yeah. I loved some Seven heavy eps but too many of them ticked me off. So I was ticked wuite a bit. Actually stopped watched for over a year. I missed the other characters so much. And all the writers could write was Seven. Gah! And that not even well. voyager was never a well-written show. It had maybe on season's worth of decent shows in all seven years. But I liked the characters. (Except Chakotay. He never "did it" for me.)

Suse
            wishing she's been at the Courtyard instead of the main hotel.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              Wow...

TWO THOUSAND

Two Hundred

and

Seventy Four Pages!

Just... Wow!
              Very cool! Let's see 2300 by the weekend! Anyone up for the challenge? O.K., we need a topic. I'm new, so I know this has probably been done before. Who is your favorite character (non ship) to see on screen with Sam?Tell us about your favorite scene(s) with the two characters together. I love Sam and Janet. My favorite moments between them were in Hathor. I especially loved the moment after Sam hit General Hammond when she thought her career was over. TR was perfect as Janet and she made me laugh many times in that episode. I was really impressed with the way Sam and Janet handled the men in the holding cell. I am so glad it was Janet that kissed the SP instead of Sam (too close to the Broca Divide episode). Now, who's next?

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                You know, Mini, I was really worried about that, too. It was okay - when I saw her finally it was like seeing a real person. Sure she's AT, but when you actually see them as people who also have to put on pants in the morning, brush their teeth, and eat it just really helps.
                amanda does that?

i swear, if you tell me she goes to the bathroom....

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                  Who is your favorite character (non ship) to see on screen with Sam?
                  I like to see Sam(non-ship) with Daniel, Jacob, Janet, and Thor!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

EDIT: I can count on one hand how many times she became so serious during her sessions. One was when she talked about the lack of a Daniel/Sam/Teal'c dynamic, despite her requests. One was when she did admit that the ship questions got old, because that seems to be all there is to her character sometimes. One was when she addressed the Emancipation Incident, as was brought up by one boistrous woman in the front. And the final one was when she talked about actresses being pressured into nudity in film/television.
                    are you saying that amanda said she didn't want ship questions (by fans) asked of her anymore?

and you want to tell us what amanda said in that spoilery (to the leadership issue) thing?

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                      Very cool! Let's see 2300 by the weekend! Anyone up for the challenge? O.K., we need a topic. I'm new, so I know this has probably been done before. Who is your favorite character (non ship) to see on screen with Sam?Tell us about your favorite scene(s) with the two characters together. I love Sam and Janet. My favorite moments between them were in Hathor. I especially loved the moment after Sam hit General Hammond when she thought her career was over. TR was perfect as Janet and she made me laugh many times in that episode. I was really impressed with the way Sam and Janet handled the men in the holding cell. I am so glad it was Janet that kissed the SP instead of Sam (too close to the Broca Divide episode). Now, who's next?
                      Hmmm... If I absolutely have to choose, I don't think I can play this game. But I will give reasons as to why Jack, Daniel and Teal'c all share The Best spot alongside Sam.

First, Jack. As her commanding officer, she had to prove herself to him. She had to prove that she could handle herself in the field, and that she could do whatever it took to complete the mission. When Sam was first introduced, she was very rigid (I believe "didactic" is AT's favorite word ). She clearly had a chip on her shoulder, and she was just asking for a fight.

For whatever reasons, she went into that briefing room with her guns blazing. In her youth, she later had to find a happy medium between proving oneself and leaving a bit more to the imagination. I honestly think Jack, as her commanding officer and later as her friend, helped her find that happy medium. He challenged her abilities, yet he placed an unimaginable amount of trust in her. In doing so, I honestly think that Sam was in a place by mid-S8 where she truly realized her potential and her strengths. I believe that, thanks to Jack's guidance, she was ready to take on SG-1 and whatever new threat was out there.

Sam's first mission offworld in "Zero Hour" comes to mind. Even then, she was so eager to please and do the right thing. The little exchange in the hallway between the two of them (along with others in S8) was, I believe, a changing of the guard. Jack was slowly letting go of his command. He trusted Sam to lead SG-1 and other SG-teams, and Sam began to trust herself, too.

While Jack always had the military to fall back on when it came to his early relationship with Sam, she and Daniel always saw eye-to-eye with their love for science. I think that Daniel, unassuming, genuine, faithful, loyal and ready to save the world, showed Sam that it's OK to show your vulnerabilities. Sam has always had a great capacity for compassion, and I think Daniel was able to penetrate some of the military boundaries. Even if she didn't always agree with him, there was that undeniable freedom to speak her mind. And Daniel knew he could do the same with her.

They'd essentially egg each other on, make the other think faster and more efficiently. They've always been able to think outside the box together, and remain on the same wavelength most of the time. Their thirst for knowledge is what drove them. These two are kindred spirits (from a non-shippy perspective), and though we may never see any more significant moments between them, it's the friendship they started right from COTG that I'll always remember.

For some reason, we didn't really see Sam and Teal'c's friendship until around S5. In "Revelations," with Daniel gone and Jack grieving in his own way, Sam and Teal'c had an understanding, and were able to move on from their pain. Teal'c's a great part of the dynamic on the team, because he's the loyal, silent support.

Even when he doesn't agree with the behavior of his friends, he stands back and observes. In many ways, because of his silence, he's proven to be a great sounding board for the others. With Sam, he lets her do her own thing, and he places quite a bit of faith in Sam's abilities, as well.

Though it was slow going, I'm really glad that AT and CJ pushed for that development so long ago. We got to see Teal'c play the shoulder to cry on in "Paradise Lost" and "Heroes Part 2." We got to see them both play the offbeat banter in "Space Race" and "New Order."

In many cases with the original cast of SG-1, less is more. It's in the silences ("Heroes," "TLC," "New Order," "Threads," "Moebius," "Ethon," to name a few), that we see how much these characters care for each other. And even if lines aren't scripted, I'm hoping we get to see those silent glances between Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. It's the only thing that will keep the SG-1 of Old alive for me. At this point, I don't need them to have the A-plots (it'd be nice, but I won't hold my breath). I just need to know that they still care for each other, that their bond hasn't completely disintegrated.
                      Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 13 July 2006, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        I honestly think Jack, as her commanding officer and later as her friend, helped her find that happy medium. He challenged her abilities, yet he placed an unimaginable amount of trust in her. In doing so, I honestly think that Sam was in a place by mid-S8 where she truly realized her potential and her strengths. I believe that, thanks to Jack's guidance, she was ready to take on SG-1 and whatever new threat was out there.
                        I like that...and I agree.

Jack taught her everything she needed to know to be a great a leader. He helped her grow and mature through the years. I'm a shipper, yes, but there is so much more to their relationship than that. They are friends first and foremost, learning from each other along the way.

Oh, and if you can, drop by here.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Personally, I find the interest with Amanda's daughter a bit frightening.
                          I'll just say I agree completely, and leave it at that.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Spoiler:

Anyway, during the autograph session Spaz asked Amanda if she would sign her T-shirt. Unfortunately I wasn't there with Spaz so I don't want to mistell the story, but I wanted to share what Amanda wrote on her T-shirt. I nearly died when Spaz showed it to me.

Spoiler:

Hopefully Spaz will post what Amanda actually said when she got the autograph, but if I didn't think Amanda rocked before, I certainly do now.

YES!!

i LOVE it that amanda not only watches south park, but obviously likes it enough to remember that famous line!

*hugs south parks snarkiness*

amanda is, like, soooooo cool!

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              are you saying that amanda said she didn't want ship questions (by fans) asked of her anymore?

and you want to tell us what amanda said in that spoilery (to the leadership issue) thing?

sally
                              No. She never said she didn't want ship questions asked anymore. Besides, even if she had, it wouldn't change the fact that half of the questions that will be asked of her (probably from now until 2015) will probably be some variation of, "Who's the best kisser?" or "Is ____ a good kisser?"

Side note: What the heck is she gonna say to these questions? "No, seriously, Rick could really use a tic-tac from time to time?" Sheesh.

I have no idea how to paraphrase what she said without her name incurring the wrath of every S/J shipper between here and Venus, so I'll just say how I interpreted what she said.

Keep in mind that this is a minor interpretation.

Of someone who calls herself "spaz."

It could be very far off. It could be somewhat true.

She joked about ship when asked, and she did admit that it gets a bit old. Based on what she said and how she said it last weekend, I'd imagine she totally understands the dynamic between Sam and Jack. But, I mean, come on, the very first question asked of her was literally, "Is so-and-so a good kisser?" I think it was David Hewlett.

It's like it's all she's known as. And considering she's ALWAYS said that she doesn't want to become The Girl for The Lead Guy, I'm guessing it's probably pretty unnerving to be asked such questions at every turn TEN years after she started the character. She was still very funny about all of it at the con, though. She didn't bemoan the suggestion, and she didn't point fingers, scoff or growl. She simply suggested that there's more to the character than the ship.

But, again, that's just an interpretation. A minor one. I have no idea how she really feels, as she didn't go that far.

Oh, and the spoilerish stuff was just about details you can find at GW or Solutions from the episode, "Uninvited." There were no big revelations or anything, but it'd probably be considered a bit spoilerish by anyone who's opposed to spoilers of any kind. Other than that, it's same-old, same-old.

Comment

Wow, dancer of spaz, your post rocked! Of course, I wouldn't make you choose in order to play! Great post!

Comment

Working...
                                X