Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i have an ornry idea....anyone that feels that skiffy was a sexist swine to demote sam in place of cam....we oughta print out pictures of a pig and send it to them

nothingmean, nothing rude...just stating it how it is. in stargateland, competancy doens't matter as much as gender
    Ohhh. I like it. I like it a lot.
    sigpic

Comment

I went to rewind a videotape to see what was on it (bad labelling system), and when I flipped the TV on, there was an interview of Jodie Foster that caught my eye before I switched over to VCR control. Why bring it up here? Because of what she said about her new role in an upcoming movie... she said something along the lines of 'it's a wonderful character, that could be either a man or a woman' - it doesn't appear to have been written gender-specific. Now, that was just one facet of the role that she liked, she also said that it was 'meaty', she apparently plays a high-level 'fix-the-problem' person.

At any rate, what was prominent to me was that Jody Foster apparently identifies with, and looks for, roles that are not stereotyical in terms of their gender-role-characteristics. I believe that folks have commented on such with her role in that thriller movie with Anthony Hopkins (with moths?).

And it all made me think of how AT asked them to write Sam Carter in the early years - without specific reference to her gender. And to simply let her play the role, and since she was a woman, that would all that would be needed in terms of establishing or playing to the gender issue!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        I went to rewind a videotape to see what was on it (bad labelling system), and when I flipped the TV on, there was an interview of Jodie Foster that caught my eye before I switched over to VCR control. Why bring it up here? Because of what she said about her new role in an upcoming movie... she said something along the lines of 'it's a wonderful character, that could be either a man or a woman' - it doesn't appear to have been written gender-specific. Now, that was just one facet of the role that she liked, she also said that it was 'meaty', she apparently plays a high-level 'fix-the-problem' person.

At any rate, what was prominent to me was that Jody Foster apparently identifies with, and looks for, roles that are not stereotyical in terms of their gender-role-characteristics. I believe that folks have commented on such with her role in that thriller movie with Anthony Hopkins (with moths?).

And it all made me think of how AT asked them to write Sam Carter in the early years - without specific reference to her gender. And to simply let her play the role, and since she was a woman, that would all that would be needed in terms of establishing or playing to the gender issue!
        Ripley! I'll say it again: Ripley!*

Absolutely.

[*Alien]
        scarimor

Comment

It's interesting that Jodie Foster is looking at a role like that, considering her role in Flight Plan was originally meant to be for a man. The character's name was even "Kyle". She's cool - another one of those really neat actresses who brings a lot to her roles.

It's interesting when you see these women asking for the development of their characters to go beyond that of gender-specific characteristics. Because if a character can be developed without the generalizations and stereotypes that are typically attached to a certain gender, I'm sure it gives the actor a lot more to play with, in terms of fleshing it out. More often than not, I'm sure, women run into this problem more than men.

Luckily more and more women are branching away from that mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
            I have been a fan of many celebrities through the years, but Amanda is different. My other celebrities were always great looking men, crushes. With Amanda, I respect what she has done for women in the industry. She is genuine with her fans, down to earth, and very talented. I became an Amanda fan, because my little girl looked up to her. Positive female rolemodels are hard to come by. Most of the celebrities that little girls want to imitate are pop sex divas whose personal life is covered by the tabloids. That isn't the kind of role model I want for my daughter. Amanda (and her t.v. character Sam) is intelligent and self assured. My little girl believes she can be whatever she wants to be, and she knows she doesn't have to dress like a pop diva to do it.
            Great post. Sam Carter, the character, is a great role model and so is AT herself.
            sigpic
            Women of the Gate LJ Community.
            My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

I just got a peek at the new TV Zone magazine that features Stargate SG-1, I believe.

A Woman of Substance

The woman behind Lt. Col Samantha Carter chats about helping to break a record, green screens and her guest role in Stargate Atlantis...

Spoiler:

Amanda Tapping sits patiently in her chair on the Stargate SG-1 set as the show's make-up artist Jan Newman painstakingly applies the final touches to a nasty looking bruise on the actress's right temple. It's all part of the Season 10 SG-1 episode the show's cast and crew are currently shooting...

"This story is callled Company of Thieves and it's our 203rd episode... In it we're once again dealing with the Lucian Alliance, only this time it's face-to-face. They've commandeered our battle cruiser, the Odyssey, and someone dies. Cue dramatic music. That's about all I can tell you. It's very sad to see this person go."

"My character of Samantha Carter is sort of thrown into this situation, but basically what she and her fellow shipmates are trying to do is bide time. Their ship is damaged and the bad guys want Sam to fix it, but she's just trying to stall as long as she can until help arrives. A girls' gotta do what she's gotta do, right?" jokes the actress. "So you'll see lot of scenes where I'm pulling on wires, fiddling with bits and pieces of machinery and saying, 'Hmm, I'm not quite sure about this." Come on, guys. Don't we have OnStar out here?" <Ha!>
              Dude, I feel like this interview could go on forever (it's only about four pages long). But let me know if no one has posted these bits before, and I'll post the rest. There are some interesting tidbits about AT and CB.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                Okay. But it's gotta be Sam/Cam the Mechanic. Not Sam/Cam the Buffoon. Please. I beg of you.
                No need to beg. Can't do the blustery buffoon. No, it'd be more the *quieter* more compentent, more stable Cam that I'd wanna do.
                And definitely want the link to the Sam/Dan when it's done.
                Will do.
                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                  Well, Mitchell's automatic and immediate leadership of SG-1 was a stupid decision on the part of whomever was involved in making it, plain and simple and I'm afraid I'll never see it otherwise. Not only for the character of Carter but for the series in general.
                  <snip for space>
                  The flippant insertion of an unskilled "newbie" as SG-1's new leader created a construct wherein the entire premise of the series followed suit and became that single stroke of idiocy. In short, it turned SG-1 into a joke. The Mitchell character was introduced from the get-go as (to use RCC's own words): a total screw-up. A NEW LEADER. And a total screw up. <snip>
                  Originally posted by jckfan55
                  Yes, if they felt they *had* to give the guy command for network reasons they could have given us something within the realm of believability to explain it. As much as I love, AT I would have grudgingly accepted it if the new guy was competent and Sam was shown not to have command b/c she was doing something equally important. <snip>
                  I agree with you both...I have posted this elsewhere on the forum so apologies if you've read it before, but the decision that the new male lead needed to be the SG1 leader was a clear case of sexual discrimination for me. The whole shifting of an experienced female character out of the leadership position on SG1 simply to make way for a new male character because they're changing the lead actor was reprehensible. True, AT's maternity leave made it more difficult for Sam to be a visible leader at the beginning of S9 but I can think of several scenarios that would explain her temporary absence without requiring her to be stripped of the leadership. And the whole smokescreen of sending Sam off to an alternative leadership position in R&D initially to try to prevent the outcry of sexual discrimination just doesn't fly with me. The production team and writers always knew Sam would rejoin the team.

I like the character of Mitchell but the construct they used to give him the leadership was flawed. Assigning him leadership of SG1 almost by default because he was the only guy left at the time he joined and Landry liked his reported leadership potential might have worked had they been recreating the show with a completely new cast of characters but to then reconstitute the old team around him with him officially delegated leader despite his inexperience?? The scenario they came up was guaranteed to have the audience questioning whether he's the best for the job especially when Carter is on the team who is a direct contender for the position having held it in S8.

Unfortunately, showing his inexperience in the job...

Spoiler:
                  Off the Grid comes to mind

while it makes the character human in the sense it shows he isn't perfect, it hasn't helped establish him as a worthy replacement to Carter as leader.

I do have sympathy with the fact that they had to offer BB a substantial role and that they might have felt the demographic required a male lead for SG1, TV shows operate under constraints fanfic authors don't but I too might have swallowed the leadership change had there been a more believable premise for it. I hope they write both the characters of Mitchell and Carter better in S10 - Mitchell deserves to be shown as a worthy leader (and he would gain more fan support if he was) while Carter deserves to be shown equally capable and important in her role on the team (something else I felt was lacking in S9).

OK, I'll come off soapbox now...
                  sigpic
                  Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                  My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                    I had the opportunity of running into them in the hall of the 3rd floor of the hotel. Olivia favors Amanda. I was with 2-3 other people and as Amanda approached us, Olivia just looked at us and then buried her head in Amanda's shoulder. Truly precious. Alan just kind of moved out of the way and let us admire his family.

I just have one word for that....AAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                      It'd be poetic justice for that kind of audience reception of the leadership issue, and AT's popularity at the con in general, to make it back to TPTB before Flesh and Blood airs. You know, just to remind them of the choices they've made for both seasons.
                      I wish it would make it back to TPTB. In fact, I wish one had been there to see first hand how much Amanda is loved.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Ok, I have to share a funny little story with you all involving Amanda, Dancer of Spaz and myself. I had hoped Spaz would have posted about it by now, but seeing as I just came across some more photos I had forgotten I had taken I thought I'd share them with you.
                        Awww... I was gonna wait until I actually had the picture in my possession (only Kat and sg-1fanintn had copies, and I don't have a way to upload them online). I didn't know you'd uploaded it already. Ah well.

Anyway, it was funny, because she laughed (like on it? like she was sprawled all over it? I think she was tired... ), and actually said petulantly, "Those b@st@rds!"

Naturally, I laughed in true meek-fangurl fashion and smiled like a raving idiot, while she continued to laugh. Finally, she looked up and asked, "Can I write that?"

I nodded and said, "Sure!" The goofy smile was probably still in place, now that I think about it. Lovely.

Oh, and I've heard/read in the past that AT and others on the set really like South Park (wretched show that it is), which explains why she was able to finish the popular line without missing a beat. I'm glad she was the one who finished the quote, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          well, i for one would have loved to have seen olivia.

dang skippy i would not have taken a picture. that's just rude. but i gotta admit that i am curious. but i also understand the need adn desire to protect the little one. and i totally respect it.

i've never had a child, likely never will, and it'd just be neat to see her and see how cute she is.
                          Thank you...my sentiments exactly!! As a mum I know what it's like to want to protect your children. Take for example yesterday...my daughter rings me from school (she's in year 8 at high school) and she's crying on the phone (there is an issue at school regarding another student that needs to be resolved...Niki's not handling it too well at the moment)...I was down at the school so quickly, I forgot to lock the front door! My need to get to her overid everything else! So...I understand the need to protect our kids...and I totally respect other peoples privacy...regardless of who they are!

Good morning Samandans!! Hope everyone has a great day!!
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
                            I agree with you both...I have posted this elsewhere on the forum so apologies if you've read it before, but the decision that the new male lead needed to be the SG1 leader was a clear case of sexual discrimination for me. The whole shifting of an experienced female character out of the leadership position on SG1 simply to make way for a new male character because they're changing the lead actor was reprehensible. True, AT's maternity leave made it more difficult for Sam to be a visible leader at the beginning of S9 but I can think of several scenarios that would explain her temporary absence without requiring her to be stripped of the leadership. And the whole smokescreen of sending Sam off to an alternative leadership position in R&D initially to try to prevent the outcry of sexual discrimination just doesn't fly with me. The production team and writers always knew Sam would rejoin the team.

I like the character of Mitchell but the construct they used to give him the leadership was flawed. Assigning him leadership of SG1 almost by default because he was the only guy left at the time he joined and Landry liked his reported leadership potential might have worked had they been recreating the show with a completely new cast of characters but to then reconstitute the old team around him with him officially delegated leader despite his inexperience??
                            It *still* boggles my mind that this all ever even happened.

It's been said over and over again, but Mitchell could have been a great new character, BB could have had a substantial leading role, and Carter could have had command. They could have done that. Having Carter in command didn't mean that every episode had to revolve around her character. Nor did Carter in command mean that she would have to be The Hero or the show's Main Lead. She could have been one of the show's main leads. And stories and episodes could have shared the spotlight, and the meaty roles, and the character development, between the main leads.

I'm a staunch Carter fan, but I wasn't expecting her character to take over the SG-1 franchise!

I was expecting her to command the team once RDA moved on.

What Stargate SG-1's PTB have done *is* reprehensible. And it's very, very disgusting that the message that it sends in terms of women and 'their place' is being broadcast and sold to so many different countries.

So what do we do about it? What can we do about it?

I get a bit preachy here, so I'll put the next bit in spoilers
                            Spoiler:

- Be honest without being nasty. AT has been a wonderful example of such.

- Don't let them snow you with a rationalization or contrived backstory that makes it seem as if Carter somehow deserves what was done - or that she's OK with it. Don't be OK with it, although popping blood vessels in rage isn't recommended either.

- Don't bash others (characters or actors) in frustration.

For my part, I've stopped watching the show. What they've done pisses me off so much that I can't stand the show on the screen for even a few seconds.

I tell my friends and family not to watch the show - and I tell them why. Without nastiness, and without bashing, but I do relate my disgust and disappointment.

I do still read fanfic that have solid Carter roles.
                            I do still participate in the forums and polls and such.
                            I do still look for the positive - and AT is definitely one of those positives. The first 5-6 years supply many of the other positives. The folks on this thread supply the rest

Ridiculously, I still had hopes that they would put Carter in command for Season 10. I consider myself a realist, not a pessimist, not an optimist, but a realist. And yet... I was still... *really* hoping that they'd correct things in Season 10.

When I heard about the now-infamous cabin scene with Mitchell and Landry and Mitchell's command of SG-1, I found myself hoping that they'd ultimately cut that scene. They've cut many a scene before. I remember AT alluding to a Fifth-controlled-Carter dream scene with O'Neill - in addition to the ones with Pete. The ones with Jack never surfaced. Did they get cut? Were they ever even filmed? And there has been mention of other scenes that have been cut over the years... scenes that create and provide backstory and explanation, but didn't have firepower and action. So... why couldn't they cut the cabin scene? Well, they could. But they won't. They've decided to out-and-out say that Mitchell's the leader. Period. Gah!

Comment

Robert Picardo was interviewed by Eclipse Magazine recently. He spoke of the eps he did in S7 and S8.

Regarding "The Scourge":

Robert Picardo says that despite the gruesome premise, this episode was fun to make. “My character got to have a couple of humorous moments in this one instead of being relentlessly serious….You notice that Mr. Woolsey was running harder and faster than anyone and pushing people out of the way to get away from the bugs.” Picardo also enjoyed the chance to have some really great scenes with Amanda Tapping. “Amanda is just a pleasure to work with.”
                              Hmmm... We really should do an official tally to see how many times different guest stars, co-stars and PTB say this.

Also...

In the spirit of sharing with the readers what it’s like to work with complicated dialog, Robert Picardo reveals to EM a little blooper scoop.
                              In one of those scenes with Amanda Tapping, Picardo says that he made a very funny mistake in his lines that had Amanda Tapping and the entire sound stage breaking into hysterical laugher. “I had this big spiel about how I was threatening Carter that if she didn’t do everything to keep these people she and I were responsible for safe, I would report her. I was supposed to say ‘report her to Stargate’, but what I said was ‘I would report her to Star Trek.” Picardo says of course they printed it out and showed it at the dailies that day and had another good laugh about it.

Oh, and sorry if someone already posted this.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Oh I didn't mean to imply that everyone asking about Olivia was frightening.
                                If only 1% of the her fans see Amanda with Olivia over the weekend and act upon it, those numbers are still quite frightening.
                                I just hope fans remember that while Amanda is special to all of us, to Olivia she is simply 'mom' and she may not understand all the interest people have in them.
                                I may be blowing things out of proportion here, but I'm in the process of trying to teach my 5 year old that she shouldn't just go up and invade other people's space. She is an extremely friendly child and has a tendancy to just walk up to people(especially small children) and start talking to them and touching them( hands, faces, patting them on the head). It's all rather harmless, but many of the children she does this too are extremely shy and they get rather upset by it. I know my daughter is just curious and she isn't trying to hurt anyone, but I think she needs to learn that not everyone feels as comfortable meeting new people or being the center of attention. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my previous comments.
                                Kat
                                I totally understand, respect and agree with you.
                                I don't think you're blowing things out of proportion with what you're teaching your daughter either...what you are doing is admirable...and your daughter will no doubt grow up to be a respectable and considerate person. My husband and I have taught our children the same kind of values and we get a lot of positive reaction from friends, family and even strangers on how well behaved and respectful our kids are...am I proud?? Yeahsureyabetcha!!
                                As for offending anyone...well ...I kinda did take it to heart for a moment...but I soon got over it ...I couldn't hold a grudge against you for more than a minute anyway....(((Kat)))!!!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X