Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Oh, I meant to ask you guys what AT's expression was when the admirers came (there were apparently a couple of incidents). Did she look like she kinda expected it? I suppose it is kinda inevitable that people were bound to see her at those points. My curiosity lies more with AT's comfortability than anything.

As anyone here can guess, you can tell that she is totally 1000% devoted to that little girl (uh... duh, some of you mothers are probably saying ), so I'm wondering if she's kinda come to terms with the fact that people are curious, or not.

She approached us casually, greeted us kindly and seemed like any other mom when people are admiring her child. I think she said something like "can you say hi?" to olivia. It was completely cool. I was with someone who has known AT for quite a while so I don't know if that made any difference.

Ahem... Uh, now that I can match a face/voice to that name, I've gotta say that that oughtta be the quote of the year.
    LOL - she is absolutely great, isn't she? I haven't been a big fan of anyone since Davey Jones....(Monkees)
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

I may be blowing things out of proportion here, but I'm in the process of trying to teach my 5 year old that she shouldn't just go up and invade other people's space. She is an extremely friendly child and has a tendancy to just walk up to people(especially small children) and start talking to them and touching them( hands, faces, patting them on the head). It's all rather harmless, but many of the children she does this too are extremely shy and they get rather upset by it. I know my daughter is just curious and she isn't trying to hurt anyone, but I think she needs to learn that not everyone feels as comfortable meeting new people or being the center of attention. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my previous comments.

Kat
      I have the same deal with my DD - SO incredibly friendly to everyone. She'll walk up to any stranger anywhere and ask their name, etc.

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
        She approached us casually, greeted us kindly and seemed like any other mom when people are admiring her child. I think she said something like "can you say hi?" to olivia. It was completely cool. I was with someone who has known AT for quite a while so I don't know if that made any difference.

LOL - she is absolutely great, isn't she? I haven't been a big fan of anyone since Davey Jones....(Monkees)
        Yep, you guys were great fans by waiting for Amanda to decide to approach or not!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
          I totally agree! I also happen to think that that rule aplies not just to celebrities' kids but also to the celebrities themselves.
          <snip>
          From that day I vowed that I would NEVER approach a celebrity in public if they we just going about their own business and I never have even though I've seen quite a few famous people in and around Manchester. I just end up with horrific mental pictures of the poor man being surrounded by fans and I think that celebrities have to deal with enough of that without me making it happen any more. That's just my personal opinion anyway.
          And it's a very good one. Kat made good points too about personal boundaries and knowing them and teaching them to our children. And it bears repeating because while I'm sure all Samandans (and those who're lurking the thread) wouldn't do things like that, it's unfortunate that there are extremes on both ends (uber-exuberants and negative stalkers) who don't understand (or choose to ignore) where boundaries begin and end. Imagine yourself (the general you) in the actor's shoes... trying to spend a few quiet moments with your family before your public duties start or after they've ended and being accosted... or perhaps during your official duties not being able to extricate yourself easily from the fan or two who just can't separate the idea that you are a real person too and that may be getting a wee bit too familiar for someone who really doesn't know you that way.... (and yeah, I know the familiar argument - they're in the public eye and should expect it. True, but again, all I'd ask is you put yourself in their shoes...)

Having said that, I had my fangurl sighting Sunday morning. The SL programming started later Sunday, so I arrived at the con hotel about 10:30 a.m. It was a beautiful sunny morning. As I entered the main lobby Amanda and Alan were heading toward the door I'd just entered through, Amanda carrying Olivia, Alan pushing the stroller. I smiled a lot (but ask any GW/SL'er - I was one big, eh, two big dimples all weekend!) at them and they were smiling too, but everyone continued on their way. I noticed they managed to get out and around the building with no one bothering them and I'm happy they were able to take a walk together before what turned out to be a very long day for Amanda.

Now would I have lurved to have been a few seconds later and passed them on my way in and have given them a more direct smile and "Good Morning!" ? Heck yes. But it made me feel even better to know that Amanda was able to capture that free time to relax with her family and look like any other family who was attending the con.
          Originally posted by KatG
          Personally, I haven't seen her, but I'd think that she'd look more like Alan. He's darker and has brown eyes and brown hair, all traits that tend to be dominate over blond, fair and blue eyed.
          Not always. Although there's still time... I was blonde as a child then the hair slowly darkened to a medium brown by the time I was in my teens. (My brother is still blond in his late 30's and our mother is med. brown, Dad was dark brown almost black, before Mom turned him gray!)
          Last edited by ShimmeringStar; 12 July 2006, 08:16 AM.
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by nell
            Yep, you guys were great fans by waiting for Amanda to decide to approach or not!!!
            Well, I'll admit she was behind me - I didn't even know she was there until she came closer.

Comment

Awww! ((((LOL4JACK))))

It's so good to know that I'm not the only one who's feeling a little odd not crawling out of bed at the Courtyard after a night of nutty festivities. Mystery Stargate Theater and the highjacking of the Marriott lobbies are soooo worth the trip.?
              *grins* I know... it's like hey, aren't we all going to meet again next weekend??! I still have everyone's voices still in my head and hopefully it'll be a while before they fade.
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)

Comment

You guys have some pretty neat stories.

I can honestly say I've never fangurled anyone really - before my odd and fairly recent obsession with AT! lol But I can completely see myself being both totally overwhelmed and totally desirous of walking up and saying hello. It's not really like me, so it's almost embarassing to admit to, but I'm bein' honest here, I would totally *want* to say hi and I would *want* to go over and talk. She's someone I just admire so tremendously, it bubbles over. Ah well. I'm not *really* weird (in a scary way!) IRL, honest!!! I'm actually a lot shyer in person that I am online when I meet new people.

minigeek(happily envious of all of you shoreleavers, having had such a great time!)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  Like everyone else here, I'd LOVE to see Olivia. LOVE to. I'll bet she's beyond adorable.

But it HAS to be Amanda's time. She has to be the one to introduce her. It would be completely inappropriate to assume that just because Olivia is out in public for a walk or something that Amanda is wanting her to be exposed to fandom.

I think we'll all see her someday but it has to be Amanda's time and Amanda's rules because it's her job to protect her daughter from unwanted attention and it's OUR job as her fans to respect her wishes.
                  Unfortunately she needs to worry about security as well as freaking out the kid with crowds. For me, I'm just happy Amanda and her family are happy. If she wants to tell stories about Olivia, that's great, but I totally respect her for keeping O. out of the public eye.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                    I totally agree! I also happen to think that that rule aplies not just to celebrities' kids but also to the celebrities themselves.
                    <snip>
                    From that day I vowed that I would NEVER approach a celebrity in public if they we just going about their own business and I never have even though I've seen quite a few famous people in and around Manchester.
                    Saw RDA quite alone on the ski slopes one day - did not make a peep, but it sure increased my fandom quotient!

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                      I was blonde as a child then the hair slowly darkened to a medium brown by the time I was in my teens. (My brother is still blond in his late 30's and our mother is med. brown, Dad was dark brown almost black, before Mom turned him gray!)
                      Are you sure it was your mom or was it you and your brother?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                        Are you sure it was your mom or was it you and your brother?
                        LOL! It was her!!!! For sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          yeah. what's one of the greatest crits of Voyager????? what killed it for me??? when it became the Jeri Ryan show.

yeah, seven was cool, but not the focus every frelling week. and if it wasn't her it was the doctor.

focus too much on a single character/actor, you become solely dependant on that actor's fans...which usually kills a show cause no actor has enough of a draw to carry an ensemble show on his/her own. if they did, they wouldn't be IN an ensemble show
                          Can't green ya again, but wanted to say I totally agree. And I think of SG1 as an ensemble show & I think a lot of us (who actually watch it) do too.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            You guys have some pretty neat stories.

I can honestly say I've never fangurled anyone really - before my odd and fairly recent obsession with AT! lol But I can completely see myself being both totally overwhelmed and totally desirous of walking up and saying hello. It's not really like me, so it's almost embarassing to admit to, but I'm bein' honest here, I would totally *want* to say hi and I would *want* to go over and talk. She's someone I just admire so tremendously, it bubbles over. Ah well. I'm not *really* weird (in a scary way!) IRL, honest!!! I'm actually a lot shyer in person that I am online when I meet new people.

minigeek(happily envious of all of you shoreleavers, having had such a great time!)
                            Honestly, I found myself mostly trying NOT to blub at my photo op. I was successful but only because I kinda rushed in and rushed out. I didn't want to keep other people waiting. I so appreciate her and the strong positive contributions she's made.

Comment

Honestly, I found myself mostly trying NOT to blub at my photo op. I was successful but only because I kinda rushed in and rushed out. I didn't want to keep other people waiting. I so appreciate her and the strong positive contributions she's made.
                              I hear ya. I guess everybody has (at one point or another in their lives) someone they admire a great deal and would end up tongue tied, when near to. I'm not sure what's going to happen to me when I get the chance to say "hi" for five seconds at AT2. Oh sure, I'm all cool and collected NOW, but just wait till I'm standing in front of her .... I probably won't even remember how to speak! Ulp.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Saw RDA quite alone on the ski slopes one day - did not make a peep, but it sure increased my fandom quotient!
                                OK, you get the prize for knowing your fan boundaries!

Originally posted by WFAR
                                Likewise, when I took my group photo with Amanda, Carmen, and Corin, I smiled at the actors but didn't talk. Me....speechless?! I saved my comments for the autograph line...well, I spoke quickly so as not to hold up the line. Her 1000-watt smile was a joy to see!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X