No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post from the con Kat. Many thanks for taking the time out to post it. Have fun!!

Comment

Well we knew the leadership issue would be raised by someone. I HOPE whoever raised it did it with respect and support. Sure sounds like it. Of course, if a Samandan asked, then the respect and support part would be a given.

It is one of my hot topics for Carter. Top of the list actually. What will we see on screen in this regard? Second to that, how many Sam Carter kickin' butt sequences will there be? Third, how many things will she blow up? Fourth, will she fly anything? Fifth, will there be a ship resolve in her future or will we have to wait for the movies FCOL? Sixth, how have she and Claudia decided to play their relationship and will we get character/team moments between the classic team?

Looks like lots of good information and it seems that, other than that numpty who badgered Amanda about a dress she wore TEN friggin' years ago, everyone was respectful and supportive.

BTW, have I mentioned how much I ADORE Amanda Tapping yet today? Yes? Well....nyeah nyeah nyeah. I'm sayin' it again.

I ADORE that woman.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
        Ah, the leadership issue. OK, the guy had to be the leader of Sg1-but with all due respect to the fans, the Samantha Carter character and AT, the least they could have done is to give a GOOD reason why this newbie is put in charge! They could have promoted him to full Colonel or somehow put the Sam character in a situation where she couldn't lead Sg1 due to conflicting something. It sounds like it will just be an arbitrary decision (he's male) and that's it. I don't think it would happen like that in the real military but TPTB couldn't care less. It really burns my bum! If they continue to disregard the original 3 team members like they did in Season 9, I won't have too much trouble giving up Stargate completely!
        RE The Leadership Issue - I don't want to see a rationalized or contrived explanation - that would validate and excuse what was done. It's much more appopriate that it hangs out there awkwardly (and ugly) for what it really is. Honesty does count for something.

Rationalizing it, providing a contrived backstory explanation...bringing in the new guy as a Colonel - or promoting Mitchell to a Colonel now... any of these are simply ways to hide what was done. And, unfortunately, many folks and fans will embrace such obfuscations if they are offered or provided. Ugh!

AT certainly handled it with grace and style - more kudos to her for how she dealt with the question and for her honest (and self-deprecating) answer.

I also have to send kudos to everyone who boo'd the idea of 'fans liking the new guy in charge more than Carter'. I am there in spirit if not in body!
        Last edited by astrogeologist; 09 July 2006, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
          Not if we want Amanda to win. In about ten to twelve days, the competition will be really stiff. We'll need to increase her lead if we want her to hold on to first place.
          I agree - we need to increase her lead (and bank some lead) for the days when the JAG and Alias and Buffy fans storm the boards.

I really like the way that this poll works. If we only had one vote per person, then the actors from the network shows, with their larger viewing audiences, would most probably win hands down every time.

Clicking every second would also be too annoying. But voting every 5 minutes... that's only 12 times per hour... and it's do-able without being outrageous.

And - here's the fun part - a small group of dedicated fans can make a statement. And it's certainly a lot of fun to be a part of that

Comment

great post foreversg1

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              I agree - we need to increase her lead (and bank some lead) for the days when the JAG and Alias and Buffy fans storm the boards.

I really like the way that this poll works. If we only had one vote per person, then the actors from the network shows, with their larger viewing audiences, would most probably win hands down every time.

Clicking every second would also be too annoying. But voting every 5 minutes... that's only 12 times per hour... and it's do-able without being outrageous.

And - here's the fun part - a small group of dedicated fans can make a statement. And it's certainly a lot of fun to be a part of that
              I agree with all you said. We really do need to increase her lead. We, of all people, know how fast someone can move up the ranks. Of course, if we show the same support those others might, like we did the last week of last month, we'd be unstoppable. AT would end up on top, where she deserves to be. This poll really shows who has the dedicated fans. Man, did I mention I wish I was at Shore Leave? Maybe when all those guys get back, they'll be ready to vote like mad-fresh from seeing Amanda live.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                I tell you something Corin looks rather yummy!!!
                There you go, lassie, tippling Tone's beer again! And now I guess we have to find you a Corin con besides GABIT2 for Amanda!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

Amanda's already done better that 10th place did last month - but she's still more than sixty thousand votes away from last month's winner's score.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I tell you something Corin looks rather yummy!!!
                    Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      Amanda's already done better that 10th place did last month - but she's still more than sixty thousand votes away from last month's winner's score.
                      It's the 9th and we have 21000 votes...so....if we get that many votes every nine days...we should end up with 72,000ish votes...and if we really get after it like we did last month...we can keep her #1!

2333 votes on average per day x 31 days=72333 votes total.

Hope that's right-I hate numbers

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Another quick flyby...

I've added a few more photos to my photobucket for anyone who is interested in looking at them. You'll have to forgive me for not posting a detailed summary, but I was taking so many photos and laughing so hard during Amanda's Q&A that my mind is a still a huge jumble of information. I promise if I have time I'll post them later today.

Shore Leave Photos

Amanda, Corin and Carmen were all fantastic. I absolutely adore Carmen. I think I've turned into a thunker. I went to take my photo with Carmen and AT yesterday afternoon and when I walked into the room they both shook my hand and told me how nice it was to meet me. While I was saying hi to Carmen, Amanda reached over and picked up the lanyard I had around my neck. When I looked at her she smiled and said she wanted to read my buttons. I had a GW button I had made, my Samanda button and a button (thanks to Tracy Jane) that had a cartoon version of Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c and beneath the cartoon that said 'OMG, they've killed Janet & Jacob!' which Amanda read outloud and Carmen & AT finished the sentence in unison when they said Jacob. I'm assuming they found it amusing because they both laughed (Spaz has an even better story about the cartoon, but I'll let her tell it. ) Then Amanda asked about the Samanda, button and I told her what it was and that everyone from Samanda sent their love to her she got a huge smile on her face and thanked everyone for their support. Unfortunately my time with them was brief because there were so many others waiting to get their photos, so we smiled for the photo and I thanked them both again and left.

Later that day, during the GW photo, I was lucky enough to be tall so when everyone was trying to find a place to stand Amanda waved for me to stand by her. *big cheesy grin* Yep there are definitely days when I'm very happy to be tall. After the photo was taken I was able to to give her a Samanda button and once again briefly express how much we loved everything she does on the show. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to chat with Corin or Carmen during the photo-op, but I was lucky enough to run into Carmen in the hall. As he passed me, I just smiled and he smiled back and then stopped and said 'Hello sweetheart' and then out of the blue he just gave me this huge hug. I was stunned because I hadn't expected it. I thanked him for coming to the con and told him how much I loved and missed Jacob and he thanked me. He may have said more but honestly I was in fangirl mode and can't remember much more other than I was once again wearing a big cheesy grin and as quickly as he appeared, he was gone. It was definitely a wow moment. He and Amanda are such lovely people, I can't possibly say enough about either of them. I wish I had had time to actually chat with Corin during the day, but maybe today.

The big 'L' word was asked at the con. Without going into too much detail Amanda admitted that she was also disappointed like the rest of us. She has no explanation why things worked out the way they did, but jokingly said that 'I'm sure everyone thinks the new guy is doing a better job anyway' which received a huge boo and let me tell you it wasn't just from those of us from GW or Samanda. It was a very loud show of disappointment by the attendees. Amanda also went on by stating that she did miss the team dynamic on the show. That while she enjoyed having all the new characters and storylines, she hoped that the writers would write more moments between Teal'c, Daniel and Sam. She said that she has asked the writers to add more of those moments, but went on to say that even when they aren't written, she, Michael and Chris have tried to add special moments themselves with added glances and looks.

She also said that she was enjoying the new dynamic CB added to the cast because it really allowed her to have a bit more fun with Sam because Sam really doesn't know how to deal with Vala. The whole idea of having another female on the team and someone who really doesn't follow the rules sort of takes Sam out of her element. She joked that having CB/Vala around allowed Sam to lighten up a bit and allowed her to play Sam a bit flustered dealing with Vala as she acted out Sam trying to explain to Vala that wearing ribbons/bows in her hair wasn't regulation and Vala just sort of walking away and Sam talking to herself. I wish I could explain it better, but Amanda is so animated and so much of her Q&A's are said with body language and facial expressions that it's really hard to give a summary of what she said.

In short, Corin & Carmen were extremely handsome and a joy to watch and Amanda was as stunning as ever and had everyone laughing thoughout her hour long session and at one point she even had our GW group laughing so hard some of us were and tears and the people around us were staring.

Wish I could write more, but I'm already late meeting up with other GWer's this morning.

Having a great time!
                        Kat
                        I remember a certain Samandan who was afraid of flying ... was that in an alternate universe! Kat, you are having a ball and it shows! And standing next to AT for the group shot because she waved you over and then a spontaneous hug from Carmen in the hallway ... your cup runneth over!

Great to hear from EVERYONE on their experiences! AT does that to people ... being in her presence is such fun that you want to share it with everybody!

I'm glad she at least said that she was disappointed too about the "L" situation. And I'm glad she teasingly threw that line out about "Cam doing such a good job" with the boos resounding from the audience! Again, nothing against the actor BB he's a victim too in this.

Thanks, guys, for letting us share in your weekend!

Comment

Interesting comment Amanda made about Sam and Vala. Now you all know how I feel about Vala, however if they put her in less revealing cloths and cut out the sexual innuendo I could swing with laughing at the Sam Vala interaction. I big if though!!

Comment

Interesting comment Amanda made about Sam and Vala. Now you all know how I feel about Vala, however if they put her in less revealing cloths and cut out the sexual innuendo I could swing with laughing at the Sam Vala interaction. I big if though!!
                            You know I was bothered by Vala at first too Coley. But when I realized they were making her a regular, that gave me gobs of hope for her. Why...you ask?

Because the over the top character we saw initially was completely unsustainable long term. Period. Just like Felger. I love the oaf and enjoyed the episodes we had with him and hope we see him again...but Felger is MEANT to be over the top and cartoonish. Were they to, for whatever reason, make him a series regular, he would HAVE to tone down. They'd have to add more depth, have him interact with the other cast members, add some real angst and tie him in so that he blended better. Sure, he'd continue to have OTT moments...but as a whole, he'd be better rounded.

Just like with Vala. She HAS to soften. It's inevitable and I'm looking forward to more of that woman we saw in Crusade and The Powers That Be...the one with more depth and character.

And with Claudia playing her, and with her and Amanda CHOOSING to add unscripted elements and character moments...well...I'm looking forward to this immensely.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                              It's the 9th and we have 21000 votes...so....if we get that many votes every nine days...we should end up with 72,000ish votes...and if we really get after it like we did last month...we can keep her #1!

2333 votes on average per day x 31 days=72333 votes total.

Hope that's right-I hate numbers
                              I've been voting on during the day, splitting up my votes between AT, RDA, TR, CJ, DSD, and thought of CN.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                                I've been voting on during the day, splitting up my votes between AT, RDA, TR, CJ, DSD, and thought of CN.
                                i only vote for amanda. i voted for rda a couple of times, but all the rest have been for amanda. let the others work for it.

btw, how long are we going to keep this up? maybe next month, we should let amanda go to around the 20s, and then start pulling her back up in the last week. what do you guys think?

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X