No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh if everyone is wondering why I'm talking about Ben leading SG1 - Just about every sci fi mag in this country has stated in one interview or another "Ben Browder Leading SG1 into Season 10" "Ben Browder Takes the Lead" etc!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      Clever. But Operation Market Garden --(Arnhem--A bridge too far, 1944) didn't work out for the Allies.
      That's because men were in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        Janet: Sam, I can't believe this! How did you get a camera in O'Neill's office?
        Sam: It wasn't that difficult since he's hardly ever there.
        Janet: Yea, but look at what he does when he is in there!
        LOL

Ok I justed watched grace again...and every time I see that episode I am astonished by AT. She does such a great job in grace. She really carried that whole episode by herself. And even I don't think it is a great story... to many things that doesn't make sence(to me), but still I love watching the episode. It just shows how much talent AT has. And that she really can do a lot of different things when she acts. You see so much emotions passing by. From despair to love. And she just can do it without any problem. she is so convincing in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          Captions anyone?
          TR: "My gosh, you are leading the pack at celeeb.com."

AT: "Yes, don't ever take Sam fans for granted. They are a powerful group! At least I'm leading something."

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            TR: "My gosh, you are leading the pack at celeeb.com."

AT: "Yes, don't ever take Sam fans for granted. They are a powerful group! At least I'm leading something."
            Good one!

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I totally agree with Tsax.
              I think Tsax made a great suggestion. I'd rather people tell Amanda how much they are backing her regardless of what happens in S10 and how disappointed they were that she was in so few scenes in season 9, but how great she was in them. At least that's what I will be saying when I get the chance to talk with her briefly.

Kat
              I totally agree with ForeverSg1. This is the correct way to approach the situation,

Joanne

Comment

You know with the first Star Trek, way back in the 60's we were first given the glimpse of "equality" on TV, I think it was the first show that showed different races being treated equally, and they never brought up if that character was black, white, asian, male or female, thier characters were equally important to the show. I think sci fi shows have made break throughs with trying to show not how different we are, but how alike we are. Stargate in the first 8 seasons was showing a strong female character who was as important as the male characters on the show, shall we say "equall" to them. Then we saw in S9, instead of taking a step forward they took one huge step backwards, in the treatment of their female character and as a result alienating many of the female fans with such shoddy treatment. Their SEXISM is showing and the sad thing is they don't even realize it.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

You know with the first Star Trek, way back in the 60's we were first given the glimpse of "equality" on TV, I think it was the first show that showed different races being treated equally, and they never brought up if that character was black, white, asian, male or female, thier characters were equally important to the show. I think sci fi shows have made break throughs with trying to show not how different we are, but how alike we are. Stargate in the first 8 seasons was showing a strong female character who was as important as the male characters on the show, shall we say "equall" to them. Then we saw in S9, instead of taking a step forward they took one huge step backwards, in the treatment of their female character and as a result alienating many of the female fans with such shoddy treatment. Their SEXISM is showing and the sad thing is they don't even realize it.
                  I agree. Sam is the brains of the SGC. Without her Earth is screwed.
                  Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Padme18
                    I agree. Sam is the brains of the SGC. Without her Earth is screwed.
                    I think there was a telling moment between her and Dr. Weir end of season seven when she ended up blackmailing Weir in order to get a green light for the rescue mission she wanted. It was made obvious there in canon that Sam is the only one who can pull their rear out of the fire with respect to the Stargate breaking down or requiring modification. Without her....

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      I think there was a telling moment between her and Dr. Weir end of season seven when she ended up blackmailing Weir in order to get a green light for the rescue mission she wanted. It was made obvious there in canon that Sam is the only one who can pull their rear out of the fire with respect to the Stargate breaking down or requiring modification. Without her....
                      Exactly what I mean.
                      Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        Okay, I'm feeling very lonely at
                        http://www.celeeb.com/amanda-tapping/

I have to get some work done, but we're building a good lead with alliances. Help!

I am voting. Amanda is doing great.
                        RDA can use some help if we want them to be 1 & 2

Joanne

Comment

*snip*
                          Then we saw in S9, instead of taking a step forward they took one huge step backwards, in the treatment of their female character and as a result alienating many of the female fans with such shoddy treatment. Their SEXISM is showing and the sad thing is they don't even realize it.
                          I liked your whole post, Mandy. I just had to make this stand out, because I honestly wonder if they'll ever get it. It's easy to write people off as crazy fembots or whatever, but if they ever take a step back and look at how they treated each character, I hope they someday see where we were coming from - even if it's long after the show died.

I think, thanks to the cult review Coley mentioned , that SG will be known in the future as a great series that had a bit of dirty business going on behind the scenes towards its end. And if it's not dirty, I'd imagine it's not as sugary sweet as they've always tried to say it is.

Even ten years from now, I'm not sure I can see AT (or RL or TH) speaking ill of the show's producers, but I would like an honest-to-God answer from them. TH came pretty close in that one interview. Hopefully her hand doesn't get slapped. She only said what many, many, many females (who, you know, happen to be consistent consumers of their product) have said for years.

I'll never get over the fact that the President of the network is Bonnie Hammer, a woman who leads a network full of men. Did she really believe and agree with the reasons to write Sam out of the lead position? Was she looking at it from a pragmatic, ratings/demographic/$$ perspective? Or did she simply like the idea of having her position a couple of years from now?

I'm curious to know how this worked out last year, because it all seems very @$$-backwards for a woman, who probably had to work really hard for her very esteemed position, to approve of this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            I liked your whole post, Mandy. I just had to make this stand out, because I honestly wonder if they'll ever get it. It's easy to write people off as crazy fembots or whatever, but if they ever take a step back and look at how they treated each character, I hope they someday see where we were coming from - even if it's long after the show died.
                            If they don't think what they did was sexist, all they have to do is to honestly consider whether or not they would have done the same had Sam been male and Mitchell female.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I think, thanks to the cult review Coley mentioned , that SG will be known in the future as a great series that had a bit of dirty business going on behind the scenes towards its end. And if it's not dirty, I'd imagine it's not as sugary sweet as they've always tried to say it is.

Even ten years from now, I'm not sure I can see AT (or RL or TH) speaking ill of the show's producers, but I would like an honest-to-God answer from them. TH came pretty close in that one interview. Hopefully her hand doesn't get slapped. She only said what many, many, many females (who, you know, happen to be consistent consumers of their product) have said for years.

I'll never get over the fact that the President of the network is Bonnie Hammer, a woman who leads a network full of men. Did she really believe and agree with the reasons to write Sam out of the lead position? Was she looking at it from a pragmatic, ratings/demographic/$$ perspective? Or did she simply like the idea of having her position a couple of years from now?

I'm curious to know how this worked out last year, because it all seems very @$$-backwards for a woman, who probably had to work really hard for her very esteemed position, to approve of this decision.
                              I'd be surprised if the "President" actually got involved in each show at that level. Maybe if there is a ratings dip she would start asking questions. I guess individulas within the company have their own portfolio of series and are told to make them shine. For her to fully understand the implications of bringing Ben in as SG1 leader she would have had to watch the whole preceding 8 season to realise why it is such a contentious move. After all they are replacing a male lead with a male lead, so on the face of it nothing too contentious there!!

I think the uproar after GABIT may have opened a few eyes. Amanda certainly made it clear that she fully expected to have a reduced role in season 10, now after GABIT they may not have gone as far as they might, but who knows for sure!!

Comment

Gosh, I thought she was just a VP but this is even worse if she is the chief honcho! I'm glad you brought this up as I was thinking about it for awhile. I know she was at the big 200th celebration party and thought to myself: how come a professional woman at the top of her game is not promoting the idea of another professional woman/character achieving success in the world of sci-fi? I don't know the woman's background. Does she even have history with the show? If she knew the Sam Carter of the first eight seasons, then she could understand why the new direction was not doing justice to the character.

Sad and unfair and probably fairly common once you manage to break through the glass ceiling - which goes to show that highly successful women should become mentors for other women out there and promote talent.

Enough on the soapbox. Great post, spaz. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X