No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good night all. I've been voting on and off during the day for AT, RDA, CJ, and TR. I'll try to do more in the AM. Happy posting.

Comment

question to ask amanda at 'shore leave': did the things that replicarter showed sam in 'gemini' (killing her friends) really happen, or did replicarter make them up to garner sympathy?

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

A related question...

Did Oma beam Replicarter away at the same time she beamed out Daniel? If so, when will we get to see her again???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          A related question...

Did Oma beam Replicarter away at the same time she beamed out Daniel? If so, when will we get to see her again???

Maybe Replicarter figured out how to Ascend.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            Maybe Replicarter figured out how to Ascend.
            Spoiler:
            Did that happen in 'A Pond With No Fish?'

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
              Spoiler:
              Don't know, I haven't read it. I was just wondering, if she did, if the Ancients would do anything about it since she technically would have achieved it without their help.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

A related question...

*whimper*

YEES!!

replicarter was a *fantastic* character, played FANTASTICALLY by amanda!!

if the writers let that gem of a character go... can we sue them for treason?

i want to sue the government of california for it

sally

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                  Spoiler:
                  yes it did.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    ...in an ideal world, what kind of scientist Sam or Action Sam stuff would we like to see in the upcoming season?
                    Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    And here's a pie chart of the average %'s posted

58% MiliS, 25% SciSam, 8% FunSam, 8% FriendSam, 1% PersSam, ÜberSG-1Fan
                    45% MiliS, 30% SciSam, 10% FunSam, 10% FriendSam, 5% PersSam, ChevronSeven
                    50% MiliS, 25% SciSam, 15% FunSam, 8.75% FriendSam, 1.25% PersSam, dancer of spaz
                    45% MiliS, 30% SciSam, 10% FunSam, 7.50% FriendSam, 7.50% PersSam, majorsal
                    50% MiliS, 20% SciSam, 10% FunSam, 10% FriendSam, 10% PersSam, Replicartertje
                    55% MiliS, 30% SciSam, 5% FunSam, 5% FriendSam, 5% PersSam, astrogeologist

50.5% MiliS, 26.67% SciSam, 9.67% FunSam, 8.21% FriendSam, 4.96% PersSam, AVERAGES
                    One of the things that I really like about how AT has portrayed Sam Carter: 'She's comfortable in her own skin'; that is, she doesn't have an inferiority complex, nor does she have a superiority complex. It's very rare to see strong female characters who are comfortable with who they are. AT doesn't go around shoving herself into everyone's faces, trying to prove to them who she is (whether it's when she's in military mode or scientific mode).

Prodigy was an episode that stated it clearly for me - when Carter told Hailey to 'get over it' when Hailey was complaining about always having to measure up to the legendary Academy performance of one Sam Carter. There was no gloating on Carter's part, there wasn't even a moment of 'Hey, look at how I impressed everyone.' AT didn't show any signs of Carter coveting such glory. With the equivalent of a rolling of the eyes, it was 'let's get on with things'.

---

Scientists on TV are often portrayed as geeky and inept... bumbling (and here they are played for humor schtick), yet brilliant in their one field OR, they are portrayed as arrogant and egocentric... talking down to all around them (and here they often get their 'comeuppance' and get taken down a peg if they are in the story long enough, because no one can take a know-it-all for long). Both stereotypes are usually played (acted and/or written) to the extreme of these characteristics.

Felger, he's the geeky, inept bumbler who is also brilliant.
                    McKay fits both stereotypes!

Sam Carter doesn't fit into either of those tiresome stereotypes - and I've been oh-so-thankful for that! Speaking as a science-type, with leanings towards the geeky/nerdy (I am the one who averaged the scores in a spreadsheet and then displayed the results in a pie chart! ), I detest the persistent 'arrogant scientist' stereotype *and* the inept, bumbling geek stereotype.

I think it was Carter's unique hybrid of soldier and scientist that allowed AT and the writers to avoid the stereotypes above. Consequently, I hope that they keep the duality of Carter's character that allows her to be more than a shallow, boring stereotype.

Comment

Here is my Top 10 non-ship-related requirements for Sam in Season 10. 10 for 10 donchaknow:

1. Sam MUST blow something up. And because we've had such a drought of Sam/Kaboom, it better be BIG.

2. Sam MUST get into a hand-to-hand sequence of some sort and beat the crap outta someone/something. Or better yet, SEVERAL someones/somethings.

3. Sam MUST MacGyver some sort of alien technology.

4. Sam MUST experience a big, bad owie of some kind. Bleeding preferred.

5. Sam MUST get into a snarkfest with Vala. Period. She snarked with McKay...could have shot Jack down countless times but didn't because she's too dang respectful of rules and ranks...and I want to see her and Vala really irritate the crap out of each other. Not all the time of course. I want them to be friends. Good friends. GREAT friends. Opposites attract, and all that. But the funny thing about opposites is that they have THE best fights.

6. Sam MUST fly something. After that tease in Covenant, I'm craving more.

7. Sam MUST lead a rescue mission of some sort like she did in Icon and Stronghold. Way cool. But this time, if one of her team goes out on his own and does his hero!man thing, she'd better whump him a bit...either verbally or physically. Or BOTH.

8. Sam MUST put some whingy diplomat in his/her place like she did to the French guy and to Woolsey. Like she has time to coddle a bunch of politicians because they want her to make them feel better. SHyeah.

9. Sam MUST figure out some way to bring Fraiser back to our reality. Period. Some Fraiser...somehow. I don't care. If Daniel can get all glowy when he dies and returns like nothing happened, so can she.

10. Sam MUST increase her body count from last year. It was just pathetic. You have a P-90 strapped to your chest, sweetheart, and it's not there to support your bust.

I'm with you on all but #5. I'd really rather not see Sam and Vala argue. I think they need to be a united front as the only two women on the team. Otherwise, bring it on!

Comment

argh! i meant to do my 7000th post HERE, but i lost track of my post count and used it somewhere else...

BUT, at least 'that' post wasn't negative!

so, i'm pretending this is my 7000th post!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          One of the things that I really like about how AT has portrayed Sam Carter: 'She's comfortable in her own skin'; that is, she doesn't have an inferiority complex, nor does she have a superiority complex. It's very rare to see strong female characters who are comfortable with who they are. AT doesn't go around shoving herself into everyone's faces, trying to prove to them who she is (whether it's when she's in military mode or scientific mode).

Prodigy was an episode that stated it clearly for me - when Carter told Hailey to 'get over it' when Hailey was complaining about always having to measure up to the legendary Academy performance of one Sam Carter. There was no gloating on Carter's part, there wasn't even a moment of 'Hey, look at how I impressed everyone.' AT didn't show any signs of Carter coveting such glory. With the equivalent of a rolling of the eyes, it was 'let's get on with things'.

---

Scientists on TV are often portrayed as geeky and inept... bumbling (and here they are played for humor schtick), yet brilliant in their one field OR, they are portrayed as arrogant and egocentric... talking down to all around them (and here they often get their 'comeuppance' and get taken down a peg if they are in the story long enough, because no one can take a know-it-all for long). Both stereotypes are usually played (acted and/or written) to the extreme of these characteristics.

Felger, he's the geeky, inept bumbler who is also brilliant.
                          McKay fits both stereotypes!

Sam Carter doesn't fit into either of those tiresome stereotypes - and I've been oh-so-thankful for that! Speaking as a science-type, with leanings towards the geeky/nerdy (I am the one who averaged the scores in a spreadsheet and then displayed the results in a pie chart! ), I detest the persistent 'arrogant scientist' stereotype *and* the inept, bumbling geek stereotype.

I think it was Carter's unique hybrid of soldier and scientist that allowed AT and the writers to avoid the stereotypes above. Consequently, I hope that they keep the duality of Carter's character that allows her to be more than a shallow, boring stereotype.
                          Sam is a heroine.

Sure she knows it. She intellectually grasps that she and the others have saved the earth/galaxy countless times.

What makes her truly special is that she doesn't KNOW it know it. Meaning, it doesn't define her. She sees it simply as the logical outcome of doing what needs to be done.

She giggles when Pete suggests a spandex costume and a cape. She blushes when Emmett went on and on about her accomplishments. Does she know she did them? Of course she does. But she doesn't bathe in the adoration of those she's rescued. She barely even acknowledges it...if at all.

This makes her more of a hero because her reasons for her actions are not for self-glorification nor for some mad bid for power. But because it's right and it's her mission and calling.

Sam is a genius...and yet she's an adrenaline junkie-hand-to-hand fighting-sharpshooting-pilot who can't draw worth a whoot. Try pigeonholing that demographic. She's not a cliché superbabe with the push-up bra and legs that don't quit but a brain that's permanently stuck on the rinse cycle. She's brilliant yet humble. Cautious yet daring. It takes a lot to gain her trust and support and watch out if you cross her or do something that would threaten the people she's compelled to protect.

And as amazing as she is professionally is as horribly awkward as she is personally. That same woman who took out a platoon of incoming Jaffa with her Carter Special without so much as breaking a sweat was nervous to a fault and cringing when she had to introduce her guy to her dad. How cool is that? Superhero!Sam is human after all...with human failings and weaknesses.

This is what sets her apart from the pack. All of this. A smart, sexy, fun, daring heroine who stands up for what she believes in, who's pathetically uncertain in her personal dealings, who vigorously defends and supports her friends and loved ones and who is able to take out incoming enemy forces with a P-90, Carter Special or bazooka. Or whatever weapon is within arm's reach.

Not a cliché in sight. Jack would be proud.
                          Last edited by Uber; 03 July 2006, 08:34 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Uber there is just not enough jello! Great post!

Comment

Sam is a heroine.

Sure she knows it. She intellectually grasps that she and the others have saved the earth/galaxy countless times.

What makes her truly special is that she doesn't KNOW it know it. Meaning, it doesn't define her. She sees it simply as the logical outcome of doing what needs to be done.

She giggles when Pete suggests a spandex costume and a cape. She blushes when Emmett went on and on about her accomplishments. Does she know she did them? Of course she does. But she doesn't bathe in the adoration of those she's rescued. She barely even acknowledges it...if at all.

This makes her more of a hero because her reasons for her actions are not for self-glorification nor for some mad bid for power. But because it's right and it's her mission and calling.

Sam is a genius...and yet she's an adrenaline junkie-hand-to-hand fighting-sharpshooting-pilot who can't draw worth a whoot. Try pigeonholing that demographic. She's not a cliché superbabe with the pushup bra and legs that don't quit but a brain that's permanently stuck on the rinse cycle. She's brilliant yet humble. Cautious yet daring. It takes a lot to gain her trust and support. And watch out if you cross her or the people she's compelled to protect.

And as amazing as she is professionally is as horribly awkward as she is personally. That same woman who took out a platoon of incoming Jaffa with her Carter Special without so much as breaking a sweat was nervous to a fault and cringing when she had to introduce her guy to her dad. How cool is that? Superhero!Sam is human after all...with human failings and weaknesses.

This is what sets her apart from the pack. All of this. A smart, sexy, fun, daring heroine who stands up for what she believes in, who's pathetically uncertain in her personal dealings, who vigorously defends and supports her friends and loved ones and who is able to take out incoming enemy forces with a P-90, Carter Special or bazooka. Or whatever weapon is within arm's reach.

Not a cliché in sight. Jack would be proud.
                              Five-star post, Über!

(am locked out of the jello fridge, so I got Jack to bring out the applause)

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                                New TV Guide today, and SG-1 and Atlantis are both mentioned in the Friday highlights. Looks like we'll get to see the Science of Stargate special, too. I'll put it in a spoiler, since it talks about both season premieres.

Spoiler:

I'll refrain from commenting since I'm trying to stay positive.

NC
                                I actually am feeling positive about the episode. It sounds better than last year's premiere.

Comment

Working...
                                X