Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
    Oh, yeah! She does have a twin. That's SO cool. I really wonder what he looks like...
    Perhaps he looks a bit like her?

GB, who looks just like his devilishly good looking twin

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      I thought it was an apple at first... But I'm thinking its a hot-glue gun
      Until you said that I couldn't figure it out. Makes sense to cover the actress' shoulder to protect it from hot glue.

Suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
        Until you said that I couldn't figure it out. Makes sense to cover the actress' shoulder to protect it from hot glue.

Suse
        I still say it's either a power drill or a power screwdriver.

Either one would be cause enough to make her flinch like that.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          I still say it's either a power drill or a power screwdriver.

Either one would be cause enough to make her flinch like that.

Why would they be drilling into those replicator blocks though? Hot glue gun makes more sense to stick them on the wall.

Comment

Cool Sam video about her and Jolinar:

Taking Over Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHyuS57_SVo

Whoops...ETA...uploaded by our very own ForeverSG1.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

You all know I'm staunchly Sam/Jack, but I was looking for and through some Sam vids and came across what I think is a well-produced Sam/Janet video. I hope you enjoy it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC_PG_b1-7A
              Beautifully done vid!

Comment

Stunning peice of work, thanks Uber

Cool Sam video about her and Jolinar:

Taking Over Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHyuS57_SVo

Whoops...ETA...uploaded by our very own ForeverSG1.
                sigpic

Comment

This debate over Pete is moot, since Sam is in love with Janet.
                  Hi AD...nice to hear from you again...you are sooo bad...LOL!!!
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                    Hey all I was cleaning up my ImageShack account tonight when I ran accross these behind the scene pictures. I have not seen them in a while

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2486/at34js.jpg
                    http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6822/at47ma.jpg
                    Cool pics...thanks tsaxlady!
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Kat, this is so well said. That was what bothered me too. Instead of opening Sam up to her personal life and choices, the writers boxed her in with one relationship which seemed like a dead-end from the start as soon as Pete rushed out of the bedroom and got on his cell phone for a background check.

From then on, every scene having to do with Pete began to reflect a more and more uncertain Sam ... and her vulnerability was used against her by many of the fanbase. AT had to deliver on the scripts presented her and loved working with DDL so she tried hard to provide lemonade. Unfortunately, the lemons were way too sour for my taste!

To make matters worse, the writers began to show a somewhat disinterested/aloof Jack in the scenes with Sam and AT's worst fear came true: she never wanted Sam to be seen as some "girly girl pining for her CO". It should never have come to this.

S9, Sam returns. Lots of changes and new dynamics. AT, being the professional she is, finds her groove and once again makes lemonade. This time, though, she sweetens it up by confidently inserting a quiet but commanding presence in each scene as the season "wears" on ....

She is not given much to do but, wow, does she deliver by the end of the season. She has her character nailed down pat. She has had nine years to live in Sam's skin, whereas the newbies are floundering all over the place trying to become whoever the writers want them to be. Can we say identity crisis here?

We, Amanda's fans, are disillusioned and disappointed at the Sam-light version of S9 but we start to discover that Amanda is still invested in Sam and sending out subtle signals. Carter's sense of self as dependable, mature and in control gives us hope. She has loved and learned, experienced personal loss and loss of command, but maintains her composure and stature throughout. In S9, she personifies "grace under pressure".

Let's see if S10 brings her back full circle to the Sam Carter of the early seasons - the Sam Carter we all so admire and so sorely miss!

Wonderful post, could'nt agree withyou more but i would like to know if Sam and Jack have a future because i feel like i've been left dangling after the end of s8!
                      Amanda has and continues to give us an amazing woman in her playing of Sam.
                      ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                        But I do disagree with you spaz, I don't think the arc was pointless, nor do I think it damaged Sam as a character, I think it made her more human and gave her a chance at the white picket fence that Jack, Daniel and Teal'c had. Nor do I think that Pete and Sam existed only to highlight Jack and Sam. Sure, Jack had awkward moments over it, they both did, but notice how he still is open and honest with her about marrying the guy? Notice how he wants her to be happy?
                        That's an interesting thing that you bring up, with the chance at the white picket fence that Jack, Daniel and Teal'c all had. The difference is, they actually followed through with it. And they were happy. Though their marriages ended in tragedy (for all three), Sam never got the opportunity to be happy in that regard.

I guess I should be glad that they didn't follow through with it in S8, because I'd imagine the issues that we're seeing now would've been multiplied twenty-fold by the beginning of S9, had they gone that route. As in, perhaps Sam would've turned up pregnant at the beginning of S9, and would've been conveniently absent for a good eight eps.

I suppose, if they had started Sam off as either married, or coming out of a marriage, it could've been balanced out. I do find it interesting that the idea of writing Sam into some sort of domestic relationship NOW worries me, even though all three of the guys were married. I guess it's because I have an idea of how they would've handled it, had it not been a part of her initial backstory. In other words, it would not have been like the guys' experiences at all. And not necessarily in a good way.

And I believe that there are various instances to prove that Pete was there to highlight S/J, considering it came right on the heels of her revelation in Grace, and the awkward elevator scene was the first time any of the guys found out about Pete. Affinity highlighted it again in her lab, and Threads did it again. You could probably bring up the S/T scene in New Order, but it's just not the same, imo. They really pushed it when it came to having Sam and Jack discuss (or NOT discuss, as the case most likely was) Pete and his involvement in Sam's life. Even Daniel, the guy that Sam was probably most likely to talk to about this sort of thing, was never shown really getting down to the deep aspects of her relationship with Pete. It was really only Jack, and it tended to be more awkward than supportive, more reluctant than welcoming. But I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Back to the marriage thing... If it's Sam's destiny to be the only one out of the four of them who never truly understands the bond between two married people, that's OK. I can deal with it. It's when they constantly show her floundering with this love thing in an, "Oh, I can't possibly choose between my five two suitors!" sort of way, without it being addressed or resolved - especially when it comes to the issues that were supposedly settled in Threads/Moebius - that it becomes a problem for me. They need to either write it awkwardly, address it and move on, or don't write it at all. But if S/J is only ever going to be referenced again as a passing "nod" to those crazy shippers or as a joke, then I'd rather they didn't ever mention it again. Ever.

And I believe Sam is the one left holding the bag more often than not, because (a) there were large portions of eps devoted to her love decisions, (b) she was the one most likely to emote, (c) she's the only character that's left and (d) she's the girl. The other half is in Washington, where he may or may not be reciprocating her feelings. We never know; we're never truly told. It's always been ambiguous all around, but certainly more on Jack's side. Why? Well, one could argue that it's because Jack just does NOT express his feelings well, if at all. And that's totally true. However, unfortunately, it HAS made Sam look (in some people's eyes) like the one who's pining after him. And that's a problem for the character.

Comment

As always, an ever-insightful post by Agent Dark.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            As always, an ever-insightful post by Agent Dark.

I only speak the truth

Comment

WooHoo, time to reply... would like to quote everyone I want to reply too, but really don't have the time for that, so I will do what I can.

Originally posted by golfboy
                              The "that's it?" line is entirely apt. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, knew that nothing about Pete's and Sam's relationship was going to end well. It's an uncomfortable scene; the characters are uncomfortable and wish it didn't have to happen, and the same holds true for viewers. To end things any happier or easier would have been too easy. It would have been a cop out from the writers and it would have been too easy an out for Sam. Such a scene wouldn't even pretend to be realistic; it would have been a pitiful tableau. The scene as it plays out also allows you to see Carter at a slightly askew angle, one that none of the characters usually gets to be seen from. You learn a little more about Carter in that scene. How can that not be worth it?
                              This I agree with totally. And I don't think it made Sam look bad, I don't think it made Pete look bad. It made them both very very human. So personally, I liked it.

Rox: Why I find it interesting in the location Sam chose to break it off was because:

1. It was the house he bought for them to live in (although, if someone did that for me I think I'd break it off instantly and run for the hills...).

2. She called him to that location, and while I think it was neutral ground, I also think that he thought he was there for something different entirely which would have made the break-up allt he more painful.

and 3. It seemed that the episode came full circle...

Originally posted by Uber
                              I further love how Amanda played it. She CHOSE to play it abrupt and awkward. Why? Because she knew Sam would handle the situation poorly. The character's awkwardness translated brilliantly onscreen I think...showing how Sam was disappointed on some level, but clearly relieved that she ended that mistake before she went too far.
                              Me too, I loved that... but I wonder if it hadn't have already gone too far. It seems that even her accepting the proposal was rushed (and yes, very OOC). I think in Affinity things went too far already... Sadly, I also think she knew it, but she wanted it so bad that she didn't check that part of her.

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                              So when she broke it off, and said “Is that it?” I took it to mean that she thought he’d be more upset. What I didn’t like was the way that Pete’s answer to that question was allowed to shape the scene. His response, “What do you want? You want me to get down on my knees and beg?” left us with the impression that Sam was being egotistical and expected him to grovel at her feet. If he had answered differently, maybe people wouldn't have seen her question as callous.
                              And personally, I couldn't see another way Pete could have answered that. No matter what he said, the question would always carry with it a level of insensitivity. Which is fine, essentially it was because she did expect more. But I don't think she was intentionally insensitive, I just think she is habitually bad at relationships. I relate (of course, I am much younger then Sam, but ya know...)

Can I start out here saying I don't think Jack and Sam are in love? Maybe they are in love with the idea of being in love, but other then that - I don't see it. So obviously, that is going to colour how I perceive some of what I am going to say next .

I see at all the Pete was to be a cataylst for Sam getting together with Jack. The end of Death Knell was an example of how Sam and Jack felt more comfortable with each other simple because she was in a relationship with someone else (and let's face it, the whole base would know). If anything, I see Sam and Jack being more open with PDA's since Pete was on the scene then anytime previously, because anything like that before could ahve been career damaging.

Nor do I see them pining away for each other... ever. I think if anything were to happen, that it wouldn't really last for long. But that's just me (I have never been much into ship...)

Originally posted by spaz
                              And I believe Sam is the one left holding the bag more often than not, because (a) there were large portions of eps devoted to her love decisions,
                              Ishta anyone? Laira? That gal of Teal'cs in Crossroads, This isn't something singular to Sam. Also, the episodes 'devoted' to Sam's decisions are not devoted solely to Sam.

Originally posted by spaz
                              (b) she was the one most likely to emote,
                              hmm, I disagree, we get plenty of emoting from the guys when it comes to their various relationships.

(c) she's the only character that's left and
                              And yet, we still see many of Teal'c relationships (you know, that guys gets a lot of action compared to anyone else.)

(d) she's the girl.
                              I always hear that as a reason for many things. I just don't see it that way. If anything, she does less lovin' then the guys. She has interests, but nothing more then that.

The other half is in Washington, where he may or may not be reciprocating her feelings.
                              The truth is, we don't know what her feelings are either. I personally like the ambiguty. I don't want an answer.

However, unfortunately, it HAS made Sam look (in some people's eyes) like the one who's pining after him. And that's a problem for the character.
                              It's a problem some people can find in the character, but personally I don't see it as a problem. That could be because I don't see it happening period In the end, I have no issues with Sam exploring, but I find it interesting that it seems to be relatively okay for a guy to do it, but when the gal does it it's damaging.

It's the same logic that when a gal sleeps around she is a slut, but the guy doing the same thing is a hero.

This comes down to our personal perceptions of what is okay or not. But I don't see anything that has happened being exceptionally damaging to Sam except perhaps getting engaged at a crime scene (she should have been shot for that). But everything else makes her human. Yes, some people are not going to like that about her, but they don't have too. Personally, I don't like the superiority that Daniel feels with his righteous morals - but that is him, and if he were different he wouldn't be Daniel and wouldn't be half as interesting...

When I think about Sam's relationship with Pete, I always think that the whole thing made her more human - showed me something completely new and interesting about her character. And while some of it wasn't great, that's cool too, because no one is perfect. I don't see it being an in for Jack and Sam, nor do I see it as anything more dangerous...

But it would be nice, one day, to have someone on SG-1 have a long lasting normal relationship that doesn't self distruct. But that is very unlikely.

Originally posted by Agent Dark
                              That is true... She has the time machine waiting to save her.
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Woot!

btw, AD, the latest from your sloganizer has fried my cerebral cortex (temporarily, I hope):

'Sam Carter, better than sex.'

ooh crikey...
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X