No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Jester - just off to do my stuff!!! Chat in a wee while!!

Are you voting for Amanda??

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      Hey Jester - just off to do my stuff!!! Chat in a wee while!!

Are you voting for Amanda??
      Thanks to Astro's great post giving us all the links, I've now done my royal duty and caught up with all three polls!!

And I see that I've just posted my 2500th message at Samanda (thinking that about 2400+ of my posts have been at this thread alone)! I'm proud to be a Royal Loyalist to Court and Queen!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
        I very much agree. I don't think she willfully lead him onto until they were planning the wedding, until Threads. Everything up and until then I say she was in the relationship because she wanted to be there, because she loved the guy (but perhaps was never really actively 'in-love'), and he loved her, and he could love her in the way she needed at the time.

Honestly, I don't think she intended for things to go down the way that they did, and her fathers arrival, illness and death bought all her insecurities about the relationship to the foreground so she had to see them for what they were. But honestly, throughout Threads she was understandably distraught, but she also lead the guy on... It was very human of her, but it could have been handled better, and as Pete I would have felt like my guts had been ripped out. It all seemed rather sudden and yet kind of contrived. And then she whacks in the question of "Is that all?" and it just seemed so insensitive, so much like she expected more from him, even though she was taking it all away. I also found the location of where she told him very interesting...

Although, I do like the theory someone had (i'm sorry I don't remember who) that she perhaps expected more of a blow up because of Jonas. It has merit, but it doesn't take away from what it appeared to be.

But I do disagree with you spaz, I don't think the arc was pointless, nor do I think it damaged Sam as a character, I think it made her more human and gave her a chance at the white picket fence that Jack, Daniel and Teal'c had. Nor do I think that Pete and Sam existed only to highlight Jack and Sam. Sure, Jack had awkward moments over it, they both did, but notice how he still is open and honest with her about marrying the guy? Notice how he wants her to be happy?

I just love how we can all watch the same thing and see something completely different out of it - but I also depends on how into each 'ship you are as to what you see... if that makes sense.
        See?! This is what I love about Samanda! Such insightful and intelligent and respectful posts.

I can read Deevil's opinion and perception of Sam's relationship with Pete right after Spaz's fine critique and come away with kernels of truth from both that resonate in me. Paradox!

Samandans are deep thinkers and make me think. Thanks, guys! When I come to this thread, it's like sitting down at a local pub or coffeehouse and engaging in some really good conversation with some really fine folks.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          I thought it might help folks (and myself) to collect these links all in one place:

GW Forum Poll: Season 3 Episodes with your Favorite/Most Memorable AT Acting Scenes

GW Forum Poll: Best Actor in SG-1

July Celeeb Poll

Paying it forward ... here you go again, Samandans. Go do your royal duty!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            Sam never had any awkward moments regarding Pete with anyone but Jack.
            If you think about it, she never really had awkward moments with anybody over Pete (except Jack) b/c he was never really mentioned around anyone else! I would have liked to see Daniel or Teal'c react to this engagement. What did they think?

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
              CG, I assume by "Saint Martha" you mean "Slainte Mhath!"?

In which case, you're absolutely right - for future reference, it's pronounced "schlaunty vaaa", and means "Good Health!" or "Cheers!"...
              LOL, I was on the mark, Tone! You and the Royal Accountant will soon be doing the Slainte Mhath at GABIT2 ....

To all of you lucky Samandans about to meet at Shore Leave and possibly see each other again at GABIT2 or Avalon in November, enjoy what Amanda has created for all of us ... a network of new friends and new experiences.

We came together because of our admiration for AT and Sam Carter. Now many of us have become close friends outside the realm of Samanda. That is definitely worth a round of drinks and a hearty toast! Lift a glass for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                But I do disagree with you spaz, I don't think the arc was pointless, nor do I think it damaged Sam as a character, I think it made her more human and gave her a chance at the white picket fence that Jack, Daniel and Teal'c had.
                I don't think any of them have a white picket fence sort of life. Daniel did for a while on Abydos... Jack hasn't since Charlie died, and Teal'c...well he probably never did being in Apophis' service. I think it would be hard for them to have that type of life, especially with someone who can't know about what they do for a living. For me, if Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c all have each other, that's white picket, SG-1 style.

Last night I dreamed Sam was running for governor against Sheppard....weird I know, but I think Sam was winning!

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                  Re: Morpheus pics - what the heck are they doing, re-making 'Alien' or something?!?

BTW I'm just watching a Meg Ryan movie called 'Addicted To Love' or something and I have a poster of Amanda on my wall next to my TV that I bought at GABIT - and I can't help but notice the uncanny resemblence between Amanda and a young Meg Ryan (i.e. before Meg stuffed her face full of totally unnecessary toxic gunk!) It's quite freaky!
                  I remember Meg from "As the World Turns." Amanda's waay better looking.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                    Yeah but I think:

S: "I'm dumping you, Spud-boy!"
                    P: "Oh, ok."
                    S: "What? Don't you even want to know why?!? I can't believe you don't want to know why I'm giving your ring back!"

Sounds cold and just a little bit, I dunno, selfish or something. OK, so I paraphrased it to sound a little more harsh than it was but even so I, personally, choose to believe that whilst Sam isn't perfect, she wouldn't be so tactless as to expect him to explain his reaction, whatever it may have been. After all, she was, to all intents and purposes, breaking the poor man's heart and she knew it.

Wow, did I actually just stick up for Pete? Well, enjoy it while it lasts, I'm joining Pete-Lovers-Anonymous tomorrow morning to rid myself of this irrational need to defend creepy stalker types against being horribly dumped for hot older Air Force Generals!

I thought Pete was good for Sam in that he showed her what a real relationship was like but I honestly never thought the guy was good enough for Sam. Aren't there "guy's code rules" like on 'FRIENDS' anyway, numero uno being "Thou shalt not date my best friend's little sister"? (OK, so pot calling kettle, my dad married his best friend's sister but look how well *THAT* turned out! My parents have been divorced for over a decade and his once best friend is now top of his 'never-want-to-speak-to-again' list. On the other hand, there's me :s) I bet, if nothing else, the whole thing ruined his friendship with Mark!

So, to summarise my random stream of concious thoughts, I'm in two minds about the whole thing.
                    On one hand: stalker/not good enough/couldn't tell him much about her job/didn't love him as much as "someone else" but,
                    on the other hand: kinda romantic/got to get a life for a while/Sam realised what she really wanted/didn't die or turn into a raging demigod.

I guess it's all about the checks and balances, eh?
                    Of course we don't know *exactly* what she said to him at first. Didn't we come in on the scene with him reacting? I bet she was very apologetic.
                    I think she was expecting him to try to talk her out of it, to say "give it more time" or something. After all, he waited weeks for her answer in the first place. She might have built up all the arguments to give him in her mind & then when he just accepted it, it was like the rug was pulled out. I do think they could have written it much better. Sam may be a bit clumsy in the feelings department, but never cold.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      Hey all, just popping in to say a late

HAPPY CANADA DAY

To all those Canadians, or those who just love Canada (which better be a lot of ya ) I've been hitting up pretty much all the Vancouver events, from leading the North Vancouver parade, to the Canada Place Fest... I hope you're all having as much fun as I am celebrating our wunnerful country <g> (yes, can you tell i'm Patriotic? )
                      Sings "Oh Canada." Ok, so I don't know the words or much of the tune--but hi to all the Samanda Canadians. Got to love the country that brought us Amanda Tapping. Ok she was born in England--we can love it too. Even though we're celebrating our independence from King George in a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        LOL, I was on the mark, Tone! You and the Royal Accountant will soon be doing the Slainte Mhath at GABIT2 ....

To all of you lucky Samandans about to meet at Shore Leave and possibly see each other again at GABIT2 or Avalon in November, enjoy what Amanda has created for all of us ... a network of new friends and new experiences.

We came together because of our admiration for AT and Sam Carter. Now many of us have become close friends outside the realm of Samanda. That is definitely worth a round of drinks and a hearty toast! Lift a glass for me!
                        Hey CG, I hope for your sake you've got the RA's permission to post that...

Comment

Okay, this is slightly off topic, but does nayone know what happened to the series (Whistler) that Amanda was offered a role in? Has it aired and if so is it any good?
                          I've actually only seen the commercials for the show so far...but it looks interesting. I think I saw an ad for it on one of the American channels too, but not sure which one (not a major network)
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i've always had the impression, re sam and pete and jack, that sam seemed todo her best to keep pete away from the boys. yeah, jack, teal'c and daniel found out who pete was...but i don't think she orchestrated any 'get to know my boyfriend' bbq's.

i think she did her best to keep them separate. not only to try and keep her private life private, but also to limit the awkwardness. Pete would ask questions that they couldn't answer and we all know how tactful the boys can be

so i doubt pete even suspected that there might be anything between sam and the boys
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Okay, what is the script re the season 3 poll? Do we post our comments on just the poll thread or do we copy them here as well? Astro are you compiling the polls into one document like you did with the previous Polls we put into the Red Book?
                              Hi Coley!

RE Season 3 Poll comments, folks can post them either on the Season 3 poll, or here. Discussion and pics are welcome! As for compiling them, I am collecting some of the comments and pics into a PDF file called 'Welcome to My Life'

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                                If you think about it, she never really had awkward moments with anybody over Pete (except Jack) b/c he was never really mentioned around anyone else! I would have liked to see Daniel or Teal'c react to this engagement. What did they think?

The best moment regarding Pete was in Threads when Jacob was asking Sam "Didn't you need to meet Pete to go and sort flowers?" (for the wedding) in front of O'Neill. Amanda's expressions were priceless. Sam and Jacob's interaction was just superb and classic Stargate.

That sort of interaction is now absent because all close ties between the old team members seem to have been blown apart, as well as any back story and recurring characters thay shared screen time with have been taken away.

SciFi's plan to render the big 3 "Not Required" IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X