Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    coop can be a damn good writer. but a show runner needs to be able to say no. he needs to stand up to the network, to his writers. he needs to be able to get in the head of each character and understand them. he needs to treat each character like they were his favorite.

he needs to know when to take a risk and when to keep things even
    To be able to do what is best for the show as a whole rather than what he wants to see done?

I mean, if I was calling the shots, I would want to show lots of Sam (obviously) but at the same time I would hope that I would have the sense to realize that it is just as important to show lots of Daniel, of Teal'c, even of Vala and Mitchell, as well as plenty of the whole team together.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

coop can be a damn good writer. but a show runner needs to be able to say no. he needs to stand up to the network, to his writers. he needs to be able to get in the head of each character and understand them. he needs to treat each character like they were his favorite.

he needs to know when to take a risk and when to keep things even

coop is a great writer...but, imho, as a show runner he caves too much. he indulges too much, and the characters have suffered for it, especially sam
      WooHoo! Buckets of Green Jello for Sky!

Suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
        To be able to do what is best for the show as a whole rather than what he wants to see done?

I mean, if I was calling the shots, I would want to show lots of Sam (obviously) but at the same time I would hope that I would have the sense to realize that it is just as important to show lots of Daniel, of Teal'c, even of Vala and Mitchell, as well as plenty of the whole team together.
        yep. a show runner needs to keep his/her sights 10 episodes down the road, or a season away. s/he can't get caught up in the quick fix or superficial moment

s/he needs to think about the longterm ramificaitons of each characters' actions and reactions.

and in a show like stargate, which has such a long and rich background, s/he needs to know and respect the show's history. s/he needs to remain true to that background and balance that with the changes necessary to keep the show fresh and vibrant.

s/he needs to listen to, even if they don't always do, what the actors think/want. the actors live and breathe the characters and know them best. if amanda says that sam wouldn't do something, sam likely wouldn't ....and if you want sam to do it, then you need to provide amanda a dang good reason why sam will do it...and be prepared to set up that same reason in the context of hte show.

if jack is going to haul off and slap daniel...ok, we need a good reason WHY jack would behave so out of character. and if the show runner can't come up with that reason, then maybe it's not a good thing to do

coop is great for the short term. he can go for the punch and the image....but all too often, he sacrifices the integrity of the character for that moment.

and it's been noticed and it has been a detriment to the show and its characters
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
          "... and an iPod and a bigger lab and a F-302 and a new big spanner for my bike (because Siler borrowed mine in season 1 and hung onto it ever since) and a time-machine and a blue jello vending machine of my very very own.... thank you Santa!"
          Can of diet Coke: $.75
          Throat lozenges to soothe the laughter pain: $4.35
          New keyboard, to replace the one now soaked in diet coke: $40.00

Sam's list for Santa: Priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
            I don't know if anyone would be interested, but this site lets you vote for your favorite celebrities. I wasn't going to post it here, but AT is losing ground, and I can't do it all myself! You can vote once every five minutes. So, if you wanna help out Amanda...there's the link.

I know in the end the person who wins is the one that has the most fans that can spend the time sitting around clicking a button...but FCOL, Ben Browder is #12. AT should be up there too!
            Hey, sweetie! Just found this! I'll vote! And, since it has been a couple of days since you posted it, I didn't think it would hurt for this to appear in the thread again!!!

Hi, Samanda! I'm about 15 pages behind you, but catching up! Hope all are well!

Comment

s/he needs to think about the longterm ramificaitons of each characters' actions and reactions.
              I'd say that Vala's character is a good example of that. "Prometheus Unbound" showed sex jokes, but it also could have been a starting point for a reasonably decent background for her character; somebody who had been through a lot and was used to thinking of herself first, second, third, fourth... you get the idea. Vala as she was introduced in "Prometheus Unbound" didn't need to be a sex-obsessed, cliched bad girl but the emphasis on cheap sex jokes in her early Season Nine appearances makes it very difficult for her character to get beyond that.

Perhaps there were people who found Vala's jokes funny and maybe TPTB enjoyed writing a "fun" character, but had Vala's screentime in the first six episodes of Season Nine been devoted more towards adding depth and history than to fun, they would have a better developed, more interesting character with which to work in Season Ten.

The same is true of Mitchell. More time spent on figuring out who he is, what makes him tick and deciding which of his personalities to stick with would have served the character, and the show as a whole, far better than all the hewo moments in the world ever could.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                I blame cooper - IMO, based on his interviews, he is weak-kneed, arrogant and doesn't get it. {snip}

IMO the majority of the immaturity, dumbing down, cliches, caricatures and so-called "fun" is cooper's hand coming through as showrunner (more like run it into the ground). I still find it curious that I really started to see the Carter character falling off and acting hugely out of character (and a general lack in quality for the show as a whole) starting in mid-season 7 after cooper became sole showrunner....
                True story: I started watching SG-1 sometime around mid-S9 and caught up by doing several DVD-watching marathons. I'd not seen any of S9; in fact, I'd seen about 6 episodes total. When I got to S7 my enjoyment took an almost immediate nosedive. At first I thought it was just The Return of the Messiah arc the Daniel Returns episodes, then I thought it was just #1 plus Fragile Balance (which was an experience not dissimilar to chewing foil); then I thought maybe it was Carter's new Florence-Henderson-Einstein look. By the time I got to mid-season I knew it was something much larger than individual episodes. It was much later that I learned the showrunner had changed.

The Chimera/Affinity (I can never remember which is which) stuff was gawdawful. It may have worked as a fortuitous accident (as AD suggests) if the writers weren't so flummoxed by the suggestion that there was anything at all wrong with Pete's behaviour. From their POV, Carter was not trying to fix an injured bird, because there wasn't one! Carter wasn't desperate to do well; she was just confused and wishy-washy.

And, in anticipation: Yes, they could have played the Pete-story as a counterpoint to her superior performance on the job (ala Brenda Johnson in The Closer)... but they didn't do that either.
                Last edited by DEM; 26 June 2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  Tsaxlady
                  Skydiver
                  Dancer of Spaz
                  Dani76
                  ForeverSg1
                  Lys
                  SG-1fanintn
                  SG1Poz
                  ShimmeringStar
                  Simhavaktra
                  Lady Jeep
                  LOL4JACK
                  WhatFateAlmondRoca

I recall everyone on this list posting on this thread although some have been lurking lately, and they are all going to Shore Leave according to the list on the SL thread.
                  Sorry. I really don't mean to lurk. I've just been busy finishing projects at work so I can be gone for Shore Leave!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                    Ok...one more post then I'm off to bed. I'm gone 1 day and it takes me forever to catch up...sheesh!!
                    CONGRATULATIONS
                    STARGATE BARBIE ON 2500 POSTS
                    TRACY JANE ON 6500 POSTS
                    SKYDIVER ON 10900 POSTS
                    REGANX ON 2800 POSTS
                    Wow...you guys have been busy. I got 2 days off so I will be back tomorrow to catch up...again!! WooHoo!! BYE for now!!!
                    I second what chelle db said! Sorry I missed these! And...

Belated Happy Birthday, RepliCarterje!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSG1
                      Caption This
                      Originally posted by scarimor
                      "... and an iPod and a bigger lab and a F-302 and a new big spanner for my bike (because Siler borrowed mine in season 1 and hung onto it ever since) and a time-machine and a blue jello vending machine of my very very own.... thank you Santa!"
                      Originally posted by stargate barbie
                      hi god its me, listen i know i pissed you off when i blew up the star that time, but making me lose my command to such a reckless underqualified guy like that is a little harsh don'tcha think? i mean, superman used a star to reverse time and change history once, but all you did to him was trap him in an ice palace for a few years!
                      ROTFLOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn11
                        I'm a fairly new fan to Stargate and was wondering if there was any word on whether or not Sam would actively be on the SG-1 team i.e. going through the gate with team on missions and such. I was also wondering if there was any news on how many episodes Amanda would be in next season. I think she is a great actress and that Sam is one of the strongest parts of the show and I'm a little scared her role will be minimized in favor Vala. I'm fond of Vala too, but I don't want her taking a more prominent role at the sake of Sam! Thanks
                        WELCOME DAWN11!!!!

Comment

My apologies in advance to the non-shippers in Samanda...but I just can't resist. So, you may want to skip this one:

Here ya go...

Caption This!

Wish I may, wish I might
                          Have my way with Jack tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                            My apologies in advance to the non-shippers in Samanda...but I just can't resist. So, you may want to skip this one:

Wish I may, wish I might
                            Have my way with Jack tonight!
                            [/CENTER]
                            Even for a non-shipper, that's dam funny
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              Sweet news. Just got my AVALON registration confirmation email and sent it back, now all that's left is to PAY (once they tell me how!) Yay - London marathon in November, it is!

-
                              Woo! Me too! Sweet! What sessions are your tickets? You can PM me or post on the Avalon thread if you'd like.
                              yep, i got the greatest mail

Carmargue Ltd and Gabit Events Ltd are delighted to inform you that
                              your
                              application for tickets to the event:: AVALON 2006: in conversation
                              with
                              Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping has been successful.

so....whee, we're going!!!!!!!!!!
                              Congratulations, minigeek and Skydiver and ForeverSG-1! I'm so excited for you!!!! (and jealous of you---sigh!)
                              Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 26 June 2006, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I was watching Canadian Idol this evening and one contestant sang the song "Lady" and I thought yea that does describe Sam, she has always conducted herself as a Lady, unlike some other character
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X