No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Lizlove for posting the links. I forgot the line about AT playing the guitar. I wonder if she's gotten over that yet?

Comment

I am making screencaps from the extras at the moment and well I made 2 pictures I like to post here... I would say some tekst with it would be nice

Featurette - gateway to the edge of the universe

secret files of the sgc, enhanced visuel effects

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        i'm acknowledging that, as far as tptb are concerned, vala is the new star of the show and that, more than likely, sam will be further pushed to the side to facilitate the 'new and fun' characters

so, if the only way i can get sam is to get sam and vala, i'll take sam and vala, because it's better than nothing
        sky, you crack me up. While I know full well you're shall I say, resentful of how tptb have forced Vala on us, it just cracks me up that well, you said what you said.

(((((((((sky))))))))
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
          An insubordinate Sam is a cool Sam. Oh, my. Am I supporting disobeying direct orders and telling off superiors? I guess there is a rebellious streak in me somewhere!
          Absolutely...that just shows that she can think for herself and doesn't always agree with her superiors. I like it when she questions her orders!! Very cool indeed!
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            Remember that mercenary that SG-1 met briefly (I forget the episode name), the guy who responded to Sam telling him she was a Major now (had been promoted from Captain) by saying: "Oh, how very important. I'll inform the galaxy." - I always saw someone like THAT as being the perfect side-romantic interest for Carter's character (not that particular guy per se, but someone who could interact with Carter like that on an ongoing basis).

It always seemed to me that Jack was the stand-in for that character archetype, but (in canon on the show) even he was almost ... too nice (outwardly). Jack has a great "edge" to him that we've seen explored in fanfiction I think more often than in canon (and we saw potential for it in the movie, too). If it were ME writing? And I've thought about this in terms of the fanfic I envision one day actually putting pen to - I'd take Jack into a grittier, AU version of himself, give him more of that dangerous-ness, but keep as much of the RDA-injected humor as I could without sacrificing that. And I'd work with that dynamic where it involved his attraction to Sam, too (and vice versa). That, I think, would make for some really cool conflict. Not to mention I think the two of them together as an action-hero-team working on some problem would just be a more dangerous, edgier combination in general.
            Anyway, enough hot air for now. Just thought I'd share soem rambling.

mg
            Great post MG. BTW, that was Aris Boch from Deadmans Switch and the actor who played him once played Flash Gordon...many, many years ago!! I loved that scene when she tells him she's a major not a captain - very cool! Looking forward to that fanfic that you will have to write now that you have teased us on your cool ideas! I can't see Sam with anyone like Aris, Narim, Orlin or especially with someone like Pete simply coz I can only see her with someone like Jack....actually, I can't imagine there being anyone better for Sam than Jack...I'm a shipper, so sue me!!! Have a great day all!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
              Speaking of which, can anyone tell me the name of the fic with Sam working for the NID rather than the SGC? I think it might have been by Shimmering Star, but FFnet won't load at the moment. I never did get to finish it.
              Sounds like JenCamp's "Alternate Politics." It's very much a Sam/Jack story, so those who don't like ship are duly warned. But for shippers, it is a very enjoyable read.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2763063/1/

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                Well, to use Carmen's analogy - Narim wasn't nearly enough of a rogue to pique Sam's interest in that way.

No honestly though - all Sam/Jack(ness) aside - I always thought that Sam Carter could fall for a really interesting, really *dangerous* recurring character. Someone with a sharp edge to them, someone she didn't even necessarily get along with initially. Someone who challenged her, in more ways than one. And by that I don't mean someone like McKay with his acidic sarcasm to offset his genius, I mean someone more, well, ROGUISH, in general.
                We never got to see a cool recurring character like that in the Stargate universe, but I think that would have been a neat romantic interest for Carter. Someone she could even have a one night stand with (whenever she saw him), and someone she might argue and fight with otherwise. Sort of a "Han Solo" kind of an archetype (if you'll pardon the pop cliche). Someone she'd be inexplicably drawn to but not even necessarily LIKE the fact that she was.

Remember that mercenary that SG-1 met briefly (I forget the episode name), the guy who responded to Sam telling him she was a Major now (had been promoted from Captain) by saying: "Oh, how very important. I'll inform the galaxy." - I always saw someone like THAT as being the perfect side-romantic interest for Carter's character (not that particular guy per se, but someone who could interact with Carter like that on an ongoing basis).

It always seemed to me that Jack was the stand-in for that character archetype, but (in canon on the show) even he was almost ... too nice (outwardly). Jack has a great "edge" to him that we've seen explored in fanfiction I think more often than in canon (and we saw potential for it in the movie, too). If it were ME writing? And I've thought about this in terms of the fanfic I envision one day actually putting pen to - I'd take Jack into a grittier, AU version of himself, give him more of that dangerous-ness, but keep as much of the RDA-injected humor as I could without sacrificing that. And I'd work with that dynamic where it involved his attraction to Sam, too (and vice versa). That, I think, would make for some really cool conflict. Not to mention I think the two of them together as an action-hero-team working on some problem would just be a more dangerous, edgier combination in general. If they played up that energy and there was always the possibility that Jack's character might *actually* self-destruct - or Carter's character for that matter (that potential would be huge for conflict).

Anyway, enough hot air for now. Just thought I'd share soem rambling.

mg
                Hmmm? Rougish...let me think

AHA I think I've found just the right rouge

Spoiler:

and if you notice, they seem to share the same uh...interests

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                  Great post MG. BTW, that was Aris Boch from Deadmans Switch and the actor who played him once played Flash Gordon...many, many years ago!! I loved that scene when she tells him she's a major not a captain - very cool! Looking forward to that fanfic that you will have to write now that you have teased us on your cool ideas! I can't see Sam with anyone like Aris, Narim, Orlin or especially with someone like Pete simply coz I can only see her with someone like Jack....actually, I can't imagine there being anyone better for Sam than Jack...I'm a shipper, so sue me!!! Have a great day all!
                  i know! they're so equal (to me).

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

So my friend and I are sitting around eating Taco Bell(yummy) and discussing Stargate. We start talking about Sam. We both agree she awesome and wish we could be her, but then she asked why isn't she leading SG-1(she's only up to season 6). So then I explained what happened at the beginning of the season and all. She felt Sam should be leading as well. I told her all the unleader-like things Mitchell had done-heck I even showed her some on tape. So now when she sees Mitchell trying to be the hero, she just shakes her head and mutters "The Cam Show." And going back through and seeing all this, I really realized what a great leader Sam is, because Mitchell is the perfect example of what is not. Sorry to get back on that leadership topic.

So yeah, Sam and a rogue. Jack's rogue. Very roguish. I'd like to see a fic where in an extreme situation, not only does Jack's Black op-like side come out, but Sam's edgier, insubordinate side as well. Something that tests their boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      i'm acknowledging that, as far as tptb are concerned, vala is the new star of the show and that, more than likely, sam will be further pushed to the side to facilitate the 'new and fun' characters

so, if the only way i can get sam is to get sam and vala, i'll take sam and vala, because it's better than nothing
                      I wish I could say the same thing. I want to like Vala just as I wanted to like Mitchell last season. If TPTB are capable of giving all of the characters equally interesting storylines then I may stick around to watch all twenty episodes this season, but if they are just going to shove Sam, Teal'c and Daniel in the background or use them merely as ways to make the other characters look good, then I probably won't be watching past the 200th episode. I wish I could say I felt the same loyalty to the show as I used to and that any Sam on screen is better than no Sam at all, but I honestly don't feel that way. If that makes me a lousy fan, then so be it. However, I won't continue watching if they [the writers] haven't remembered this season why so many fans have stuck around for the past nine years.
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 20 June 2006, 06:57 PM.

Comment

So my friend and I are sitting around eating Taco Bell(yummy) and discussing Stargate. We start talking about Sam. We both agree she awesome and wish we could be her, but then she asked why isn't she leading SG-1(she's only up to season 6). So then I explained what happened at the beginning of the season and all. She felt Sam should be leading as well. I told her all the unleader-like things Mitchell had done-heck I even showed her some on tape. So now when she sees Mitchell trying to be the hero, she just shakes her head and mutters "The Cam Show." And going back through and seeing all this, I really realized what a great leader Sam is, because Mitchell is the perfect example of what is not. Sorry to get back on that leadership topic.

So yeah, Sam and a rogue. Jack's rogue. Very roguish. I'd like to see a fic where in an extreme situation, not only does Jack's Black op-like side come out, but Sam's edgier, insubordinate side as well. Something that tests their boundaries.
                        i read a fic once (and AU one) where sam was an assassin.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          i read a fic once (and AU one) where sam was an assassin.

sally
                          Eek! Sam's always so nice and all, it's hard to imagine her with a dark side. Like the whole Seth thing- it not only freaked her out, it kind of did me as well. There is the potential in her to do those types of things if necessary, and that's a scary thing to discover about yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            I wish I could say the same thing. I want to like Vala just as I wanted to like Mitchell last season. If TPTB are capable of giving all of the characters equally interesting storylines then I may stick around to watch all twenty episodes this season, but if they are just going to shove Sam, Teal'c and Daniel in the background or use them merely as was to make the other characters look good, then I probably won't be watching past the 200th episode. I wish I could say I felt the same loyalty to the show as I used to and that any Sam on screen is better than no Sam at all, but I honestly don't feel that way. If that makes me a lousy fan, then so be it. However, I won't continue watching if they [the writers] haven't remembered this season why so many fans have stuck around for the past nine years.
                            I'll keep watching. Heck, I watched BtVS all the way through the hideous seventh season. Every. Single. Episode. And I read to the end of 70 chapter fics that I decided back in chapter 9 had jumped the fanfic shark.

So...you see...I'll have no choice.

But I can't get excited about Vala/Sam scenes just for the sake of seeing more Sam. If Sam ends up Daniel-fied because of her interaction with Vala-well I'd rather see less Sam.

Time will tell.

Oh. And the fic thing? Really, I only did that once. It was like a train wreck, it was.

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                              An insubordinate Sam is a cool Sam. Oh, my. Am I supporting disobeying direct orders and telling off superiors? I guess there is a rebellious streak in me somewhere!
                              Absolutely...that just shows that she can think for herself and doesn't always agree with her superiors. I like it when she questions her orders!! Very cool indeed!
                              For those wanting a little... just a *little* not-so-by-the-book-always-perfect-officer Sam... By Proxy by nift. A cute little ficlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                                I'll keep watching. Heck, I watched BtVS all the way through the hideous seventh season. Every. Single. Episode. And I read to the end of 70 chapter fics that I decided back in chapter 9 had jumped the fanfic shark.

So...you see...I'll have no choice.

But I can't get excited about Vala/Sam scenes just for the sake of seeing more Sam. If Sam ends up Daniel-fied because of her interaction with Vala-well I'd rather see less Sam.

Time will tell.

Oh. And the fic thing? Really, I only did that once. It was like a train wreck, it was.
                                Ever get the feeling that you're re-watching BtVS s7 and next year going to be Angel s5?

I'm hoping that maybe TPTB listened to the uproar from last year. But like you said time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X