Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek
    Well, to use Carmen's analogy - Narim wasn't nearly enough of a rogue to pique Sam's interest in that way.

No honestly though - all Sam/Jack(ness) aside - I always thought that Sam Carter could fall for a really interesting, really *dangerous* recurring character. Someone with a sharp edge to them, someone she didn't even necessarily get along with initially. Someone who challenged her, in more ways than one. And by that I don't mean someone like McKay with his acidic sarcasm to offset his genius, I mean someone more, well, ROGUISH, in general.

We never got to see a cool recurring character like that in the Stargate universe, but I think that would have been a neat romantic interest for Carter. Someone she could even have a one night stand with (whenever she saw him), and someone she might argue and fight with otherwise. Sort of a "Han Solo" kind of an archetype (if you'll pardon the pop cliche). Someone she'd be inexplicably drawn to but not even necessarily LIKE the fact that she was.

Remember that mercenary that SG-1 met briefly (I forget the episode name), the guy who responded to Sam telling him she was a Major now (had been promoted from Captain) by saying: "Oh, how very important. I'll inform the galaxy." - I always saw someone like THAT as being the perfect side-romantic interest for Carter's character (not that particular guy per se, but someone who could interact with Carter like that on an ongoing basis).

Anyway, enough hot air for now. Just thought I'd share.

mg
    Hey!
    You're right. Sam likes challenges so why not for her relationships with men?
    I liked the relationship between Sam & Narim but not in a romantic way. More like some Daniel/Sam thing going on.

I don't see Sam going to the shy, nerd/geek type of guy. For me she was always more attracted to what could be potentionaly dangerous for her, and not necessarily in a bad way. I personally don't know why I see her with someone more 'roguish', I just do.

I think it's because someone like that would be more entertaining, challenging. He would dare to go up against her. To make her twitch just because he would like to see her lose control in a way. Someone rude, strong, tough but not a SOB either.

Hum, copying is my domain...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
      Hey!
      You're right. Sam likes challenges so why not for her relationships with men?
      I liked the relationship between Sam & Narim but not in a romantic way. More like some Daniel/Sam thing going on.

I don't see Sam going to the shy, nerd/geek type of guy. For me she was always more attracted to what could be potentionaly dangerous for her, and not necessarily in a bad way. I personally don't know why I see her with someone more 'roguish', I just do.

I think it's because someone like that would be more entertaining, challenging. He would dare to go up against her. To make her twitch just because he would like to see her lose control in a way. Someone rude, strong, tough but not a SOB either.

Hum, copying is my domain...
      Yes exactly. I think Sam is such a strong character, she'd have to be attracted to another strong character - someone potentially even stronger than she (or at least even edgier). The reference the writers made with her to the "lunatic fringe" was, I think, a good one. But they never did anything with it. And I think they should have.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

No honestly though - all Sam/Jack(ness) aside - I always thought that Sam Carter could fall for a really interesting, really *dangerous* recurring character. Someone with a sharp edge to them,
        Vala.

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
          Sam: Uh Sir, we're using heating lamps to warm her up, I really don't think that is necessary.
          - and well-spotted
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
            Vala.

Actually, believe it or not I think Vala's not edgy enough (I know, I know). She's great for Daniel, because Daniel is even lower key than Sam is, but Sam's character has always had a bit of an edge herself and I think we need someone even more initially dangerous to offset it. "I might kill you at any moment and they'd never know the reason why..."

(I guess that's also me injecting my preference for a slightly darker Sam, too)

Comment

Actually, believe it or not I think Vala's not edgy enough (I know, I know). She's great for Daniel, because Daniel is even lower key than Sam is, but Sam's character has always had a bit of an edge herself and I think we need someone even more initially dangerous to offset it. "I might kill you at any moment and they'd never know the reason why..."
              ah - RepliCarter!
              (I guess that's also me injecting my preference for a slightly darker Sam, too)
              like that
              scarimor

Comment

ah - RepliCarter!
                YES. Archetypically speaking ... she would work. All though she'd have to have a hero's heart at her core... be redeemable, as it were.

Comment

Yes exactly. I think Sam is such a strong character, she'd have to be attracted to another strong character - someone potentially even stronger than she (or at least even edgier). The reference the writers made with her to the "lunatic fringe" was, I think, a good one. But they never did anything with it. And I think they should have.
                  You know I was thinking about the 'lunatic fringe' comment too.
                  A lot of people always took that as a bad thing. But that name doesn't want to particularly say he's violent or anything. I think Jonas was dominant and liked control. But it became too much for Sam. I don't think she would have been emotionally strong enough at the time but now? I don't see why not.

She matured a lot over the years and learned to understand herself and her needs better. I always was a Sam/Jack shipper because I thought he was the best man to 'learn' her some things about life and he was the closest to 'damaged goods' too.

The reason Sam would want an emotional challenge with a man is that she has this fire burning in her that we don't get to see often. Of course she works like a madwoman but that's more of a passion and determination thing.
                  A lot happened to her in the 9 years we've known her. From the gentle, fragile, geeky, innocent subordinate to the strong, cool, collected, edgy and not naive leader. All in all this is a very big change.

And all what she endured phisically and emotionally has to come out one way or another. For her and her evoluation it would be better in a personnal relationship. That she can loose herself and become that fiery women we only had a few glimpses of.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
                    The reason Sam would want an emotional challenge with a man is that she has this fire burning in her that we don't get to see often. Of course she works like a madwoman but that's more of a passion thing.
                    A lot happened to her in the 9 years we've known her. From the gentle, fragile, geeky, innocent subordinate to the strong, cool, collected, edgy(sometimes) and not naive leader. All in all this is a very big change.

And all what she endured phisically and emotionally has to come out one way or another. For her and her evoluation it would be better in a personnal relationship. That she can loose herself and become that fiery women we only had a few glimpses of.
                    That is so well said. We're at a point right now, with Carter, where she HAS grown and she HAS changed, and she HAS evolved from the awe-struck scientist/soldier to the seasoned professional hero (and leader) that she's become.

We really do need to give her character the opportunity to demonstrate in canon, on screen, that sharper edge she's developed (especially over the previous decade with SG-1).

If TPTB don't take advantage of that, and use it for conflict, they're missing out on a tremendous dramatic advantage. I know they're going that way with Daniel's character this season because MS told them he felt Daniel was due for an evolution and that his character had evolved away from the "geek" and into something far less stereotypical.

Sam's gone through a lot of change as well. And as you said, Liz, we need to see more of the "fire" that's inside of her now, in order to believe that she's continuing to evolve. And to pay tribute to the fact that she HAS evolved, until this point.

mg

Comment

Sam would make the most awesome rebel. An AU rogue Sam would just... uh...

- must go cool down...
                      Speaking of which, can anyone tell me the name of the fic with Sam working for the NID rather than the SGC? I think it might have been by Shimmering Star, but FFnet won't load at the moment. I never did get to finish it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sam never got used to seeing Teal'c let Jack arm-wrestle with Junior...
                        BWAH! This was one of those posts I was so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read it!

Comment

Vala.

i dunno. Vala's not "lunatic", she's just provocative (in more than one way). there's no goal to her counter, just to annoy. i don't think that'd work well with sam. she doens't have the edge either. her 'poking' is very low in not only ethics (<<hint: nice way of saying something) but creativity. style's actually quite boring after awhile, not the kind of interest to sam.
                          replicarter's closer, but not really complimentary...supplementary? much closer though. missing the humor, i suppose.
                          Orlin, Martouf, and Narim were way to...smarmy. like...glue...or, silly putty. that's it, they're silly putty.
                          Aris Boch is better. archetypically, Jacob is good as well. Ba'al's close in some ways. Jonas Hansen was very close. Hammond's was somewhere between Boch and Daniel when he was younger. So's Teal'c. Bra'tac, when he was younger, i think may have been like Daniel. very sibling.
                          sigpic
                          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Dang it! I missed Ooobs' birthday?

Happy 21st
                            Birthday, Ooobs!

(And I used less vibrant colors, because I wanted to protect your eyes )

Hope you had a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              Dang it! I missed Ooobs' birthday?

Happy 21st
                              Birthday, Ooobs!

(And I used less vibrant colors, because I wanted to protect your eyes )

Hope you had a great day!
                              Twenty First Birthday. *giggles spastically*

Yeah...now add 12 years to that estimate.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Twenty First Birthday. *giggles spastically*

Yeah...now add 12 years to that estimate.
                                I shall do no such thing.

EDIT: Dude, you are not at the age where you need utter lies like this yet. Sheesh. I'll do it again in ten years, but not a moment sooner.

Comment

Working...
                                X