Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist

What are your favorite AT acting moments or scenes?
    Seasons 5-9
    Enemies: Having fun, shooting up replicators, just a cool episode!
    Threshold: When Teal'c tried to get her to let him go.
    Ascension: Scenes with Orlin, when they 'bonded.'
    Red Sky: Realizing she made a mistake and might not be able to fix it.
    Rite of Passage: Her down-time with Janet & Cassie.
    Between Two Fires: Leaving Narim, hearing his last message.
    2001: The end, when she finds out the truth about the Aschen and does her tumbling routine through the gate.
    Desperate Measures: The entire episode.
    48 Hours: Getting fed up with McKay.
    Last Stand: Saying goodbye to Lantash/Elliot
    The Warrior: Coolly firing the P-90 with extreme accuracy.
    The Sentinel: Acting like she was defying a direct order.
    Meridian: Her worry for Daniel and her talk with him.
    Revelations: Missing Daniel.
    Redemption 1: Teasing Jack about the X-301(arming ejection systems!)
    Redemption 2: Scenes with McKay.
    Nightwalkers: Quality time with the alien members of SG-1. Great interaction.
    Unnatural Selection: Scenes with Fifth.
    Paradise Lost: The locker room scene.
    Metamorphosis: Knowing she was going to die. She played that so well.
    Fallen: Talking to Daniel in the tent.
    Space Race: Having fun and a need for speed! She was so excited.
    Avenger 2.0: Played an awesome leader when she went to the planet with Felger.
    Grace: The whole episode. ‘Nuff said.
    Death Knell: There was so much done here without any words. Not every actress could have pulled it off so well.
    Heroes 1&2: The interview segments, yelling at the camera men, the scenes with Teal’c and Jack, and the memorial service.
    Lost City 1&2: The visit to Jack’s house, the end in Antarctica.

Seasons 8&9 in spoilers
    Spoiler:
    New Order 1&2: Blackmailing Weir, any scene with Fifth.
    Zero Hour: The end when she talks to Jack. AT is just radiant!
    Gemini: Playing opposite herself. The same person, but very different.
    Reckoning 1&2: Oh, heck, all of it. I loved these eps.
    Threads: She won an award for this ep. What else is there to say!
    Moebius 1&2: Geek Sam! Woot!
    Beach Head: Coming back with as much beauty and grace as ever!
    The Fourth Horseman 1&2: Working with Orlin.
    Ripple Effect: All the different Carters, scenes with long lost friends
    The Scourge: Telling the stuffy people just how it was.
    Arthur’s Mantle: The poking was just cute. *Poke*
    Camelot: Watching the super gate open.

I’m sure there are more in the later seasons I’m not thinking of. Bottom line-AT is perfection all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      ooh, another good sm fic

http://www.geocities.com/celtic_mysts/Letting_Go.html

post desp meas and i think the only bad thing i have to say about it is that it's too short
      I agree, Sky - this is a wonderful episode tag

Comment

Another of my favorite AT scenes is the one with Maybourne in Foothold

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week!
        Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!"

- click to listen to NC's audio clip

A wonderful scene - AT gets to play Carter telling someone off (righteously, and snarkily)... and it's even better that it was a line that AT adlibbed.

Comment

LA Doyle, Majorsal, MandySG1, NearlyCircular, ParadoxRealities and Golfbooy.
          Thanks so much for your wonderful posts and highlights of some of AT's wonderful acting moments.
          Such fun to remember!

Anyone else out there with their comments about their fav AT acting moments/scenes?
          The aforementioned can, of course, also post more
          Ok, I didn't include the first episode. I really should have, so this is my addendum.

Children of the Gods: The Boy's Club, seeing and going through the gate, meeting Daniel, and the 'peace offering' between she and Teal'c(handing her his staff).

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
            Can we start a campaign for non-airbrushed photos? The promo pics for season 7 were awful! RDA looks like he should have 'Mattel' stamped on his head and let's just say that Amanda came with 'chest sold separately' (AT's words paraphrased, not mine!)

In these S10 photos Claudia looks like she's been photoshopped in behind Amanda and in the SG-1 shot Michael looks like he was wearing sunglasses and then they cut his eyes out of another photo and stuck them onto the lenses!

NO PLASTIC FACES IN PROMO SHOTS PLEASE!
            LOL!!! at the "chest sold separately" i thought at the time Amanda looked a little err odd Hubby did'nt think so though!
            I liked the s10 shots but just a little gripe, if CB had a pic done all by herself i wish they had done one for Amanda also.
            ......TARA......

Comment

Here's another question for Samanda:

When we were discussing the Best Carter episodes for each season, some folks struggled with whether certain episodes, such as Entity, were more great AT episodes than great Sam episodes... so:

The most memorable AT acting scene for me is in "Singularity", when Sam takes Cassie down to the bottom of the silo and then has to leave her there... has an emotional venting in the elevator... has an epiphany... goes back down... hugs Cassie. Simply one of the best sequences, and most memorable, of the entire Stargate series for me. AT was phenomenal.

I have two really memorable scenes that really stuck with me and that is one, the death scene with Daniel when she was saying goodbye to him on his death bed. That was painful to watch because you could really feel the distress from Sam and it was so true to life, we don't always say what we would like to say to our loved ones untill it's to late.
              The other one is
              Spoiler:
              the scene with her dad when he passed away, no words from Sam, just such a tenderness that showed the depth of feeling from Sam for her father.

Amanda is so great with these type of scenes where us a viewers just have to sit back and watch her act with her face, so much comes across with her that it really is fantasic to watch!
              ......TARA......

Comment

I have no real favorite scene or such but I have favorite genre of scenes.

I love the moments where she shows emotions such as betrayal, hurt, pain, shock,... . I prefer the 'bad' emotions because in my mind they're difficulter to achieve. And Amanda pulls them off amazingly.

Some scenes:

Metamorphosis => she's clearly in pain there
                Heroes => her shock at Janet's death
                The Other Side => her betrayal towards Jack when she understands he killed the guy intentionally
                The Devil You Know & Jonlinar's memories => when she faces her memories + living a hell on Ne'tu
                Singularity => when she understands what is going to happen to Cassie, her revulsion

But I love her scenes where she shows some humor. It's very subtle sometimes but it's there and I simply love it. Sadly, she doesn't show it as often in the later seasons then she did at the beginning.

Some scenes:

Space Race => I love the entire ep, she's so funny and excited
                Ressurection => her interaction with Barrett
                Urgo => there are some sweet and funny parts in that ep
                Rite of Passage => with Cassie at the end & about the cake at the beginning
                Heroes => when she goes about the smoke from the gate

There are still two parts that pops into my head but I'm not sure from which ep they are anymore.
                * it's the one when she says "Welcome to my world!" (season 5 no?)
                * and when she tries to bribe Jack about what Teal'c and Daniel wrote about her being in command (I think it's from Lockdown)

Well, I think that's it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
                  I have no real favorite scene or such but I have favorite genre of scenes.

I love the scene where she shows emotions such as betrayal, hurt, pain, shock,... so well. I prefer the 'bad' emotions because in my mind they're difficulter to achieve. And Amanda pulls them off amazingly.
                  Oh, I agree. One of the first things I noticed, like in the first week I started watching, was that AT could pull off those types of scenes. I think it was Secrets, when she was reacting to Jacob's cancer...oh gosh! I was so sad! When I get sad watching a scene and just want to reach out and hug the character, I know it has been acted well.

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                    Amanda is so great with these type of scenes where us a viewers just have to sit back and watch her act with her face, so much comes across with her that it really is fantasic to watch!
                    amanda has an extreme talent of letting everything she's feelings/thinking show up on her face (as sam)!

two scenes come to mind that i love, partly because amanda nailed them with just the expressions on her face. the first was from s6's 'paradise lost', where she's berating/getting berated from dr lee. she looked so vulnerable there. the second scene is from s5's 'last stand' or 'summit', where elliot/lantesh is telling sam that lantesh loved sam as much as martouf did. you couldn't clearly see sam's face all the time in this scene, but what you could (along with body language)... just one of those moments where i was totally brought into the character by the depth of the acting (and writing/directing were great too).

i know it was carmen (jacob carter) that said amanda had a meryl streep quality to her (acting), and i totally agree. amanda's a five-star actress!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      the first was from s6's 'paradise lost', where she's berating/getting berated from dr lee. she looked so vulnerable there.
                      Yes! I love that scene. I can't believe I forgot that earlier. She was restraining her anger, that's for sure. She was upset, sad, vulnerable- all of it. I also love how observant Teal'c was in that episode.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
                        Oh, I agree. One of the first things I noticed, like in the first week I started watching, was that AT could pull off those types of scenes. I think it was Secrets, when she was reacting to Jacob's cancer...oh gosh! I was so sad! When I get sad watching a scene and just want to reach out and hug the character, I know it has been acted well.
                        I clearly remember that scene when she's looking outside. Her eyes are so... sad. It's a scene that struck with me and I think it always will!
                        Yesterday I saw Prodigy and I like the interaction with Hailey, all of them.

Comment

i just had to show this pic.. i love the emotion on her face

it big so i spoilered it but its Season 4- the other side

Spoiler:

i love the look on her face.. i have so close ups maybe i should post those...
                          Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
                          Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Amanda's an amazing actress, it's so hard to choose scenes that are my favourites. I think I like those scenes where Sam comes through the Colonel Carter persona. For example, in 'Threads' where she sees Kerry for the first time and her obvious discomfort (dare I go as far as hurt/jealousy?) when she asks "Er, who was that?" and also when she asks Jack if she can read her command review report - "Can I?" "No" "Damn!".

I take it as a sign of a fabulous actress when you can't help but grin when she smiles and feel like you've been punched in the stomach when she's crying or in pain (Heroes, Singularity, Jolinar's Memories - I get a really bad urge to turn the TV off when Sam starts screaming and begging to turn it off in that scene)

I really don't understand why Amanda isn't more famous than she is. Maybe it's a personal choice and if so I respect and understand that but if not then it's a damn shame that she's not a Hollywood A-lister by now. If anyone deserves the kind of recognition that comes with being a superstar it's Amanda. She's about a million times better an actress than a lot of $7-million-dollar-a-movie actresses and she's much more down-to-earth and classy than a lot of Hollywood stars too.

But then again, if Amanda was that famous then she probably wouldn't be able to live a normal life or walk down the street without a zillion security guards or meet the fans at conventions so I suppose it's a good thing. Famous but not too famous, kind of like Vincent D'Onofrio or Audrey Tautou.
                            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Well I have a lot of them but I will just tell the one I really really love:

*when she becomes RepliCarter, her face changes and she becomes a totally different person... she is so different from Carter.
                              I especially liked Gemini cause there you can see that they aren't the same... she looks like her, she talks like her.... they are in every way the same but still you can see that it isn't Carter.
                              the scene where she fights with Teal'c I adore... it is so different what AT was used to play... that it became very lovely.

*When she was in Threads and she was talking to Pete, you can see how caring she is and that she is hurt by hurting him, but she knows it is the right diccision and she knows that she will find happiness on the way but that it is not with him

*also I loved her in Heroes (I hate that episode but still AT was great in it), when she is mad at the reporter, you can see the pain and the sorrow she has of losing a friend. She knows what has happened and doesn't know how to handle her pain and her loss... I find it really good actingwork
                              and if she talks to Teal'c about what she have to say on the memorial service... you also can see her emotion. And the memorial service well there she is on her best

*in the line of duty: when she talks first as Jollinar and then as Samantha to Jack you can see the change that much

*in singularity where she goes down to the basement and leaves cassie behind... ow you can really see that she is sort of a mum and that she made that dissicion to stay out of her emotions...

*every time she is emotional but doesn't want to show it

*ow and everytime she is doing her technobabble... I love it when she does that

There are just to much scenes I like... so I will not tell you all of them

Comment

I'm venturing out from the Jack and Sam thread to weigh in on favorite Sam/AT moments stuff.

One thing I admire about AT's acting is the ability to completely throw herself into the painfully emotional scenes like in Heroes. No "pretty crying" there... nope... just snotty red faced sobbing. And it is perfect. The same could be said for Paradise Lost too.

There are of course, many other examples out there that have been listed already but I just had to give the authentic crying/sobbing thing special kudos.

Also, I just finished a vid all about Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know which are pretty Sam centric episodes. It's called to a song called "Hell" as a special tip of the hat to he fact that Natu was essentially supposed to be Hell. There are some very good Sam/AT secenes (of course!) and I think y'all will love the very very last scene to the vid. *g*
                                Go here to see the vid: http://nibikko.com/musicvids.html

I hope y'all enjoy it! It may be a dark set of eps but I included some funny bits all along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X