Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
    well but it is an escape and somethimes you just need that... It is better to do something you really like than sit and be depressed. That wouldn't help. But yeah it isn't that healthy but in Sam's case I don't think it is that bad... she looks fine to me... not 100% but still emotionally fine
    But the problem is there. She doesn't only likes to work. She likes to ride her bike. To exercice. To fly maybe? To be adventurous. She could change from occupation from time to time, even if just to clear her mind a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove
      But the problem is there. She doesn't only likes to work. She likes to ride her bike. To exercice. To fly maybe? To be adventurous. She could change from occupation from time to time, even if just to clear her mind a bit.
      yeah true but I think she is most comftable when she is working and that is the reason why she never takes some time off... IMO

Comment

Okay... get a life!!!
        But you're spending time here, you have a passion for AT and SG. For Sam sometimes it's only like science is counting!
        For me sometimes it's only like Stargate counts. At least that's what my mom keeps telling me. What can I say, it makes me happy! If science makes Sam happy, that's what she'll do. But we do know she can relax-
        Spoiler:
        she seemed to enjoy fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
          For me sometimes it's only like Stargate counts. At least that's what my mom keep telling me. What can I say, it makes me happy! If science makes Sam happy, that's what she'll do. But we do know she can relax-
          Spoiler:
          Spoiler:
          no no she enjoyed being with jack is totaly something different

and I really think I am a lot of samantha... I am someone who likes to study and learn...

Comment

For me sometimes it's only like Stargate counts. At least that's what my mom keeps telling me. What can I say, it makes me happy! If science makes Sam happy, that's what she'll do. But we do know she can relax-
            Spoiler:
            Know that from somewhere.
            Stargate it like my little world too but I have other occupations like dancing, writing, travelling,... and I act upon them. I understand Sam loves her science but we know she loves other things too. So why never see her busy with that? We only saw her with her bike once and that was yearssss ago!

Comment

Know that from somewhere.
              Stargate it like my little world too but I have other occupations like dancing, writing, travelling,... and I act upon them. I understand Sam loves her science but we know she loves other things too. So why never see her busy with that? We only saw her with her bike once and that was yearssss ago!
              Yeah...I do other things too...uh, yeah, I do! I uh...write(Stargate fic), I travel(to cons), I read(Stargate fics, books, and mags), I spend time with friends(watching Stargate), and...um...

OK, my name is L.A. Doyle and I have a problem.

I see what you mean, though! TPTB need to show Sam on her bike, or just sitting at home reading a good book. Of course, we hardly get to see ANYONE do anything else, except Jack fishing.

Comment

Yeah...I do other things too...uh, yeah, I do! I uh...write(Stargate fic), I travel(to cons), I read(Stargate fics, books, and mags), I spend time with friends(watching Stargate), and...um...

OK, my name is L.A. Doyle and I have a problem.

I see what you mean, though! TPTB need to show Sam on her bike, or just sitting at home reading a good book. Of course, we hardly get to see ANYONE do anything else, except Jack fishing.
                Well.... it's something
                You don't have a problem.
                Jeez! People don't understand our passion that's it. Does not mean we are crazy or whatever. I'm perfectly sane! And everybody here is!

I don't ask to see her always on downtime in every ep but from time to time. Just seeing her outside the base and noooooooo I don't mean off-world!

Comment

Well.... it's something
                  You don't have a problem.
                  Jeez! People don't understand our passion that's it. Does not mean we are crazy or whatever. I'm perfectly sane! And everybody here is!

I don't ask to see her always on downtime in every ep but from time to time. Just seeing her outside the base and noooooooo I don't mean off-world!
                  I'm sane, too! Really! 100% sane!

Comment

I'm sane, too! Really! 100% sane!
                    yeah me to 100% sane... or not well I find myself rather sane. and well I really also want to see her doing something else than being on base or just seeing her with cassie... after Janet died I still wonder where she is? is she with sam
                    Spoiler:
                    Ok sam said in ex deus machina she had to be there for cassie

or is Cassie living on her own?

Comment

It's a neat discussion you guys are having. At the risk of offending non-shippers (and I vascilate sometimes, too! ), I do think it'd be a neat character development for Sam Carter at this point - after 10 years of storyline - to work some 'settling' into her hectic-save-the-universe lifestyle. I think it'd be a LOT harder than she may realize. That bodes wel for conflict. Which bodes well for drama. Which bodes well for .... well, you get the idea.

The very idea of 'settling' scared Sam so much in "THREADS" that she broke it off with Pete when he bought a house and started talking about a dog, and granted, that wasn't the ONLY reason, but it was a huge one.

IMHO, at this stage in her character development, Sam would probably enter into a scenario of compromise (within a relationship) that asked her to do a little "settling" quite willingly - she'd ENTER INTO IT that way, at least. Because I think SHE thinks it's where she needs to head. It's the fallout from that, and the subsequent discovery that it's not as easy or as happy-all-the-time, as she thought it would be which would create neat conflict for her .... and again, that could be played out really well on-screen. As an occasional B-plot, I mean.

Hey wait a second. Wasn't that what TPTB were trying to do with Pete Shanahan? How come THAT didn't work? I'll get to why I think that is in a bit.

Imagine (again, for the sake of argument) that Sam and oh, lets just stick with Jack for hell of it..... decided to "give it a try". OK. I can see Sam being fairly terrified, but fairly excited about doing some 'normal' stuff as she enters into that. And then, because her character (and the 'other' character) are both known to us a viewers, their struggle, and especially Sam's mountainous rocky-road of "making a go" (which is what I think it would be for her), would translate into really great B-plot for character-development whenever SG-1 wasn't off saving the universe.

Suffice it to say that, right now, with her father gone and her relationship with Pete as history; with her career at an all-time high, not to mention her personal confidence level fairly high as well, she isn't facing a great deal of personal conflict behind the A-plot-driven monsters and explosions. So she's a tool, right now, and there's not much beneath that. None of the original cast really have much beneath that right now and that's a crying shame.

At the beginning of season nine we had a very scant allusion to Cassie, but nothing ever came of that, and I think as opposed to what Joe Mallozzi said, it IS, IN FACT important for us to continue to see glimpses of what the characters are going through when they're not "out there", even if they do already have ten years of backstory. Otherwise, they stop growing, and it stagnates. ALl of it. Everything. BLEH.

No, Sam does not HAVE to have a relationship to grow, but I do have to consider (on her behalf) that as a career-oriented women who's spent the better part of the first half of her life chasing bad-guys and putting duty before everything else - after that many years of service and at her current age - Sam Carter WOULD be thinking about these sorts of family possibilities for future. She just would. It's real. No human woman in her position wouldn't. So maybe it isn't entirely fair to be arbitrarily against the idea of it just for the sake of it (anymore). Maybe it IS a fairly realistic thing for her to be mulling around in her head. And maybe, we should at least see that conflict itself - if nothing else. Maybe it would be a great character-moment for her. Heck, if she wasn't mulling all this stuff around, then I'd wonder at her sanity, frankly. So yes, saving the world comes first - but there's also a character under there, too, and we still want to see what she's about, where she thinks she's headed, etc, etc.

What Sam DOESN'T need is another "throw-away" romance for the sake of pandering to pithy angst. That, IMHO, would be just ridiculous and disgusting. That is why her previous relationship with Pete DID fail - because it was designed to from the get-go, and everyone knew it. Given respect, the right character and scenario.... who knows how interesting it could be to explore that side of her though - with a scenario that ISN'T designed to be another failure right from the beginning. So that the conflict can at least be REAL (as opposed to the weird fascimile of real, we-never-fight, we-never-have-anything-but-great-fun, aren't-we-perfect-together, fake-almost-template-of-an-exploration that came beforehand).

That whole scenario was a train-wreck and it was sad really, because the most real that the entire relationship ever appeared for Carter's character was during THREADS, IMHO, the most visceral, and it was all for the sake of breaking up with him, so yeah, they did that - and then they skipped a full season of any and all further character development for her whatsoever ...... and now it's time to take their collective writing-heads back out of their collective writing-rears, and get back to realizing ... there ARE CHARACTERS behind those space-battles, their names are not only Cameron and Vala, they have real struggles and real emotional backstories .... and we (the viewers) still CARE what they're going through (god help us) or we wouldn't still be here to begin with.

Frankly, at this point in time, telling us a few real stories about PEOPLE would be a frickin' nice change.

Yeah.

mg
                      Last edited by minigeek; 12 June 2006, 02:58 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                        It's a neat discussion you guys are having. At the risk of offending non-shippers (and I vascilate sometimes, too! ), I do think it'd be a neat character development for Sam Carter at this point - after 10 years of storyline - to work some 'settling' into her hectic-save-the-universe lifestyle. I think it'd be a LOT harder than she may realize. That bodes wel for conflict. Which bodes well for drama. Which bodes well for .... well, you get the idea.

<snip>

... there are CHARACTERS behind those space-battles, and we still CARE what they're going through (god help us). So telling us a story about PEOPLE, would be nice for a change again.

Yeah.

mg
                        You did it again!
                        Great post and I totally agree 100000% on the last part. The only thing is: how do we get their heads out their rears? Or are they already out?

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
                          yeah me to 100% sane... or not well I find myself rather sane. and well I really also want to see her doing something else than being on base or just seeing her with cassie... after Janet died I still wonder where she is? is she with sam
                          Spoiler:
                          Ok sam said in ex deus machina she had to be there for cassie

or is Cassie living on her own?
                          I think Cassie is off at the university living on the campus or something like that.

Comment

@minigeek: you just are so right but I think what we need is a one who write some episodes and our wishes will be granted... I mean nothing against the man... but they see thing from an other perspective

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              ok, here's a sam topic

sam HAS to go on vacation. HAS to. no hiding in the lab, no work-a-holic tendencies

so where woudl she go and why??

oh, and please, can we keep the minnesota cabin out of it???? Just this once
                              the bahamas.

two weeks of relaxation and fun.

and jack goes with her.

they rent a sail boat and live off of it the entire time. they snorkle with the fishes and turtles. they sightsee around the small island they've confiscated for themselves.

no stress, no worries, just sam (and jack) relieving themselves of their burdens and *enjoying* just eating, sleeping, and having fun.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Don't know if anyone has posted this, but season 10 promo pics are up at http://sg.emedian.net/ So far it's just ensemble pics (eight of) and Claudia pics. They've got a really nice feel to them this season, though. And plenty of Amanda goodness!
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X